Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus posted:

I meant more in the sense of "who in their right mind would want to eat anything from RR".

Bogans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The bottom Red Rooster on the line is anomalous for the same reason as the airport outlets (it's on the Princes highway). They should have used the one that's to the west and a little north.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Tokamak posted:

The bottom Red Rooster on the line is anomalous for the same reason as the airport outlets (it's on the Princes highway). They should have used the one that's to the west and a little north.

I see you know Red Roosters.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Peter Dutton's thought process:

Indefinite detention of refugees - no problem

Sexual assault of children in detention - no problem

Lack of Christmas carols - OUTRAGE!!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

For LesAffaires:

Bendigo VIC here. I had dealings with Centrelink quite a few times over the years as a part-time musician in my youth, and worked a string of the usual kitchenhand and minor public servant jobs. It's weird to look back to a time where you got your forms mailed to you, you filled them out and took them to Centrelink and then you got a cheque mailed back. The CES really only looked after disabled and other challenged job seekers, you never needed or wanted them.

I was a carer on pension for about six years (another long story), came off that for unemployment benefit at a time when the JSAs were just firing up. I did voluntary work for a while then got call centre work for a few years then the client sold out to the Phillipines and goverment contracts dried up so I was on the dole again. This time I was slotted into a course and qualified as a PCA and applied everywhere, but was brought down by a back injury stemming from an operation I'd had for kidney stones, so that killed my PCA career dead. So, more voluntary work, a short-term contract job which was fun but under NDA so I can't talk about it, and this went on for a couple of years until I got another course (the last available), and that's gotten me nowhere either. I'm too old, over-qualified and there's bugger all jobs. There are 500 other people for every job I apply for here, and Melbourne's no better. The new fun game is work for the dole. I've been in two of them, the first was dodgy and I was basically making my job up because I was the only one with any call centre experience but little telemarketing. The second was much better organized and they even pay volunteers, which I might have gone with later had I not fallen ill and had to go on medical exemption.

In between all that I've basically dealt with only two JSAs (or jobactive providers as they are now called), and remarkably I seem to have a sixth sense for getting the paperwork right and ticking the right boxes. I've no idea why or how, I've seen plenty of people around me stuffed about terribly. The medical exemption seems to make the JSA and Centrelink seem oddly happy about provided there are medical certificates, and I suspect this is because the assessment process for DSP and JCA's has broken down here. They simply aren't doing them enough to make a dent in the queue. Some people have been waiting 2 years to get an appointment, my stuff has been with them since June, not a peep. So it might be the option for a department already snowed under with busywork and fewer people to do it with, and JSAs who get nothing for you really after a year. The JSA didn't bother to tell me not to turn up to appointments but I wasn't going to risk it. So I got to look silly when my case manager told me to go home. It's like a magic wand, they act like I don't exist. If this illness turns out to be as chronic as I suspect, I'll probably just have to keep getting MC's because there's no way I'm getting a DSP assessment or even a JCA any time soon.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I see Bernard Salt is doing his "angry old man" shtick. He still doesn't understand why some of the nation thinks differently to him, and it makes him very upset.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
More like Bernard :salt: amirite?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Another unemployment story for the pile:

Quit school at grade 11 due to severe depression and (then undiagnosed) ADHD. Once I was ready for work, Centrelink placed me with a rehabilitation focused JSA. This was before the worst of the Howard changes went through. They taught me a lot of useful skills that I still use today, but they were unable to secure me even a single callback.

After 2 years with that group, I was transferred to one of the more modern JSAs. This JSA didn't have the training or supportive personality of my previous group, but I was still hopeful. As with first JSA, I was told that they'd be the ones directly contacting my potential employers so they could explain my situation and the government benefits from hiring me.

Thankfully after a month with this new lot I received my first callback, from a bar which was one of the places I hoped I could work at. What I found weird though, is that they asked me, "Are you still looking for a job?" I gave the JSAs the name of this place specifically so I wrongly assumed it was them who organized it.

I followed up on their question and it turns out that they were looking at the resume that I handed in months before that, the day I turned 18. That was the only resume of mine they ever had. I'm not sure if the JSAs never gave a hard copy, or something much worse was going on, but if I didn't do the thing that both places told a depressed young adult with no car that there was no need to do, I wouldn't have received that job I was really hoping for and for all I know, even a single callback to this day.

Requested info: SE QLD, unemployed for around 4 years, JSAs for 2 of them, I specifically asked for any job that public transport could get me to for 1 of those years, and all in all 0 help getting a job.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

iajanus posted:

Right mind

Well there's your problem

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Federal Court has ordered internet companies to block five copyright-infringing websites, including torrent website The Pirate Bay.

Internet companies now have 15 business days to implement the blocks.

It is the first time the site-blocking laws have been used successfully in Australia, and is a win for copyright holders who have long wanted to see the end of the website.

The Federal Court handed down its judgement this afternoon, also ordering that internet service providers (ISPs) block similar bittorrent websites Torrentz, TorrentHound, IsoHunt and streaming service SolarMovie.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

kirbysuperstar posted:

Octec are..well, this branch at least is pretty understanding at least. I don't really feel like I'm any closer to actually getting employment, but they aren't grotesque shitlords like most of the JSAs in this town seem to be.

Octec is very gentle, in their parasitic ineptitude, they don't seem to have the policy of threats and suspensions that the other jsas got

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

The Federal Court has ordered internet companies to block five copyright-infringing websites, including torrent website The Pirate Bay.

It is the first time the site-blocking laws have been used successfully in Australia, and is a win for copyright holders who have long wanted to see the end of the website.

The Federal Court handed down its judgement this afternoon, also ordering that internet service providers (ISPs) block similar bittorrent websites Torrentz, TorrentHound, IsoHunt and streaming service SolarMovie.

but whirlpool/ocau told me if we vote labor out the internet will remain free?????

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Anidav posted:

A link for those interested:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-15/federal-court-orders-pirate-bay-blocked-in-australia/8116912

also

quote:

The applicants Foxtel and Village Roadshow filed their case in the Federal Court in February.

it's funny because VPN who doesn't have one already amiright?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Foxtel is after something called a rolling injunction That would allow Foxtel to add new websites without court approval or oversight.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

Foxtel is after something called a rolling injunction That would allow Foxtel to add new websites without court approval or oversight.

gently caress off Foxtel, no one wants your lovely expensive bad TV with ads service.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Australia literally outsourcing censorship to Foxtel.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Wow they're blocking all 5 torrent sites on the internet? Well I guess shows over folks.

Also not a surprise you are a bunch of unemployed dole bludgers trying to weasel your way onto the DSP.

(I was on independent youth allowance through uni and then newstart... Never had anything good come from a JSA and luckily eventually nepotism got me a foot in the door somewhere so I hopefully never have to deal with Centrelink again.)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Actually a bunch of us are self employed job creators.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SadisTech posted:

A link for those interested:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-15/federal-court-orders-pirate-bay-blocked-in-australia/8116912

also

it's funny because VPN who doesn't have one already amiright?

Netflix did a great thing delaying rollout by making way more Australians familiar with VPN services than would have otherwise been.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Les Affaires posted:

Hi guys, I have a request for all and sundry. I'm looking for people to share their experiences in employment in Australia, ranging from having, losing, looking for, regaining and keeping it. I'm interested in stories good and bad, but only if you're comfortable about posting it. In particular I'm interested in how your interaction with Centrelink and Job Services Australia have either helped or hampered (both?) your job search.

I also want to know whether you have tried for jobs that aren't "ideal" for you but still something to tide you over before getting a job you prefer.

This is part of a discussion I am having with my wife about the barriers to employment for Australians, and in general I think it's good to highlight these things from time to time anyway.

If you could also include how long you were unemployed for and which part of Australia you were/are living in, that would help too.

Thanks!

Sure why not.
Living in Townsville, I was working for Queensland Health for two years, contract came up and I was replaced by someone with more experience who I hear got less hours than I was getting. That was 3 months short of a year, I've had about 4 trials at different jobs and gotten no further. I've been applying for anything I can find even if i'm not qualified for it, I've been dealing with max employment every fortnight showing them the jobs I've applied for, centrelink so far has thankfully been good but I've since moved back in with my dad because I need to save money, fingers are crossed centrelink won't screw me over for that. Max employment hasn't really done anything for me, I show up hand in my paperwork....and that's about it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

My school bathroom walls growing up always told me that we are actually Westies. They also told me that we rule.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
re: Employment status chat.

I had an easy entry into the workforce with my first job being at Coles when I'd just turned working age (14 years 10 months?) and was hired after just one group interview. I worked there for close to 2 years and ended up just walking out one day after being refused to have less shifts, as I was working 4-5 days a week while trying to get serious about year 11.

From there I picked up a job about 2 weeks later at a fish n chip shop around the corner from home, which I roughed out for just over a year to get me through year 11. I was paid a miserable rate of $13 an hour, cash in hand, and ended up walking out after I'd had enough and the temptation to steal from the til was too much. I was working 3-5 nights a week during this period.

I then joined the Reserves at the start of year 12 after finding out that availability for full-time ARA wasn't going to be open for at least 6 months, so I stuck out year 12 for my parents sake while building my career in the defence force. I ended up enjoying the freedom of devoting my weekends and most nights to doing transport and logistics work at my barracks, so I picked up work at Australia Post for a year before advancing in full-time work in the DF.

These four jobs all came easily to me, and not much effort was required with the exception of testing for admission to the Reserves, so I was rather naive heading into the real world so to speak.

Long story short I was diagnosed with an unidentifiable form of degenerative arthritis, which put an end to my career in the Defence Force before it had even properly began. With 3 years of experience in the Reserves and the standard experience of those who worked multiple jobs to see themselves through high school, I was faced with the prospect of finding out what the gently caress to do with my life. At this point I was nearly 21 and had no intention of immediately finding employment as I had considerable savings to allow me to spend some time coping with everything that was happening.

I was lucky enough to undertake a 2 year Diploma of community services and case management around 2 months after I'd left the Reserves, so I knew that I didn't need to find work anytime soon while studying full-time. I ended up completing the course without looking for employment the whole time, as I wasn't in the best place and focused on completing my Diploma to a high standard, which I thought employment would impact upon.

It was at this point that I was introduced to Centrelink for the very first time, after hearing terrible stories from my mother and sister regarding their dealings. I was put on newstart and required to apply for the standard 20 jobs a month, with face-to-face meeting with centrelink every month to verify progress. I was on newstart for around 6-8 months in total, and even though I was finally ready and committed to working again I failed to snag any employment. I was introduced to a JSA which was next to AirPort West in Melbourne around 5 months after being on newstart. This process was much like many have described, I was required to attend a 2-week long "Job Skill Building" course or something to that effect, which began with a daylong session on resume building. My resume was apparently "extremely solid" and was told by a couple of the program directors that they'd never seen such a qualified 21 year old, which didn't mean poo poo because they didn't loving help me at all.

I was extremely lucky to hear back from a bunch of uni applications I had made about 5 months prior, with only one response coming from VicUni. It was at this point, on the second day of the JSA program, that I made the directors aware of my full-time student status, and a meeting was immediately set up to go over my status. I was told that I would still need to attend certain training programs and check-ups, and that they had ultimate control of my payment status etc, even though I stated I didn't want newstart anyway, since I can't be on it as a full-time student. I walked out of the meeting in which 3 workers were trying to practically scare me into staying, and walked straight into the centrelink just 500m away. I made a complaint about mistreatment and was ushered to the front of the line, lol, and proceeded to speak to a lovely worker who ran me through the process of attaining Youth Allowance, which I didn't even realise was applicable to me for whatever reason.

It was at this moment that I realised how much discretion the centrelink workers have, as the worker was able to switch me over from a newstart recipient to a Youth Allowance recipient which started with the next scheduled payment, much to my surprise.

I was very lucky that the first semester for uni was only 2 weeks away, which is why I'm guessing the CL worker was able to process me with such haste, so I once again didn't need to stress about finding employment.

Two years on and I'm approaching the final year of my psych degree, and have just now found the motivation to look for part-time employment after failing miserably throughout the summer to winter period of last year and this year.

It is an excruciating process and I have been solidly applying for jobs for the past 8 weeks or so, ranging from those I REALLY would like to be accepted for, to those that fit my experience and pay well enough. Being limited to part-time work is much more of a barrier than I anticipated, and even with over 3 years of volunteering experience in running a men's shed program, and being a chapter president of a not-for-profit organisation (over 2000 past and present students), no one seems to want to employ this 25 year old sorry bastard. I have even been told that I'm over-qualified for some positions, which I specifically applied for in the hopes they didn't REQUIRE post-grad qualifications and actually respected their statements of Not-Required, but there you go.

I'm getting pretty tired of this and even people around me don't seem to understand that I can't just "do labour work" etc as my body is hosed and riddled with pain on a daily basis, but the only comfort I have is my volunteer work, and the meagre amount of cash from YA that gets me through the week, just.

FYI If I wasn't living at home with some bloody great parents, I would be completely hosed in the not-so-nice kind of way.

Hope this helps.. What definitely helps me is not having to deal with centrelink and JSA's, but even with that, this is such an exhausting process.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Lack of Christmas carols - OUTRAGE!!

Given that the Christians stole the holiday from the pagans, I demand "Saturnalia - drink, gamble and gently caress" banners to hung at every mall.

Anidav posted:

Well, I was going to ask what would happen when the Pirate Bay does their bimonthly address change as they move their servers to another country.

Also - gently caress Foxtel. I will never give Evil Uncle Rupe my money.

Dumb legal question - what's to stop Foxtel from just adding any old site? Like those belonging to their competitors, for instance?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Gorilla Salad posted:

Given that the Christians stole the holiday from the pagans, I demand "Saturnalia - drink, gamble and gently caress" banners to hung at every mall.

Well, I was going to ask what would happen when the Pirate Bay does their bimonthly address change as they move their servers to another country.

Also - gently caress Foxtel. I will never give Evil Uncle Rupe my money.

Dumb legal question - what's to stop Foxtel from just adding any old site? Like those belonging to their competitors, for instance?

I'm sure they would never make an administrative error like that and would be quick to rectify it if they did...

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

Wow they're blocking all 5 torrent sites on the internet? Well I guess shows over folks.

yeah that's the funniest part of this. until they block google they're not gonna have any effect whatsoever.

also the court specifically ruled out a rolling injunction.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Question - does this actually block trackers, or is it purely focused on the distribution websites that don't actually host the torrents themselves?

If it's the latter, it's even less than nothing

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Just the distros from what I read.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It's one way to make us a clever country.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

iajanus posted:

I meant more in the sense of "who in their right mind would want to eat anything from RR".

If your alternative choices are sufficiently terrible or completely absent RR is fine dining.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I would go to Coles and get a plain bread roll and a slice of ham from the deli before voluntarily eating RR again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My own jobseeker experience:

I started looking for work in full back in 2014, after graduating from uni with a bachelors in writing and editing (with a bunch of journalism in there). I lived in Salisbury out in suburban Adelaide, and quickly got set up with Multiple Solutions, a disability-focused JSA that's apparently in some way connected to the multiple sclerosis society; I didn't really check. I was in sort of a weird spot where my disabilities from autism and hydrocephalus qualified me for having my requirements reduced, but not for the disability pension itself.

My first case manager was pretty great, she helped me sharpen up my interview skills and how to actually search for jobs. Redoing my resume was technically on the cards, but my training meant I didn't really have to do much with it. Job searching itself didn't go very well at that point, because Adelaide is not a great market for jobs at all; I had to expand my search from 'writing-focused jobs' to 'any admin or data entry jobs' to even get to my reduced count. She was there for a few months before leaving for an office closer to where she lived, and the case manager I got after that was... not good. I got the feeling he didn't really know what to do with someone who was very clearly capable but still making no progress, so he kinda just made a point of focusing on my appearance; I let my hair grow long because I wasn't getting interviews that necessitated cutting it. Around this time CareerOne started cooperating with Airtasker, too, which is a terrible company that basically obliterated CareerOne's admin/data entry choices in the area in favor of a 'sharing economy' take on data entry. It was poo poo and left me to basically only rely on Seek.

In late 2014, I finally got further than an interview somewhere, when a letter from Autism SA advertised a QA testing position they were going to fill in cooperating with HP and the DHS. I half-assed the cover letter and didn't tailor the resume because I didn't actually want the job, but it was a way to fill one of the rows in that sheet and the only job application my dad ever remembered to ask me about later. I expected that to be the end of it, but got called in for a group interview which was more of a look into how we approached problems. I half-assed that too, but was one of about a dozen people they asked back for a month-long training and assessment. That was perhaps the worst month of my life, every day being some level of agony; I wanted to drop it and stop after the first day, only to have my parents swear me out for being so unwilling to work. I kept going not because I wanted the job--I decided partway through the second of four weeks that I'd turn it down regardless of if I was even offered it--but I'd stick it through to show that I do have the willingness to work, it's just that this job was just that bad. They did offer me the job (it turned out they were going to accept everyone anyway), and I did turn it down, and even despite the fact it was so torturous I found myself almost regretting doing that over the course of 2015, when work continued to not happen otherwise.

Sometime around mid-2015, my case manager changed again. The new woman was fine, I suppose, but clearly struggled to understand why I wasn't getting work--we were doing everything right, it just wasn't happening. In September-ish of 2015 I finally decided to do two wild shots in the dark on Seek, just for fun and science.
1. All jobs, of any level, in Adelaide. There tended to be about 120 per day, but they were all demanding experience I didn't have and most of them far out of my field. That at least confirmed there weren't any entry-level jobs.
2. Running my original searches actually related to my profession in Melbourne, because they were returning so little in Adelaide. To my joy, they actually returned results that were something vaguely similar to 'something I'm actually qualified for'.

So, because there was nothing saying I couldn't, I started applying to those Melbourne jobs instead of the Adelaide ones. My case manager didn't like it, but went with it because it certainly seemed worth trying. She made me take part in an IT training course to ensure I wasn't wasting time, though. Said training course was so pathetically simple that my completion wasn't limited by how much I could do, but how many modules the instructor remembered to bring for me. It started late November, continued into January, and then they lost my work and never actually gave me my certificate because I technically didn't finish the course.

...But I got the call to find that out while I was in the airport waiting for my flight back to Adelaide, from Melbourne, where I was interviewing for a job in exactly my field that I successfully got.

In short, I was jobsearching for two years, and only finally got one by leaving the only city I'd ever lived in on a wild whim. During those two years it was silence at best and agony at worst, and despite having a generally quite good JSA they never once even got me an interview.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 15, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone ever looked at JSA owners and their relations to political parties? Specifically with regards to how the contracts get awarded.

It really seems like they are literally harvesting taxpayer money for nothing of benefit in return whatsoever aside from the barest minimum token effort. At worst they hinder honest job seekers and ruin lives which is abhorrent.

(please keep giving your experiences folks and thank you for opening up)

It seems like the real welfare scum leeching off Centrelink are the JSAs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cleretic posted:

In short, I was jobsearching for two years, and only finally got one by leaving the only city I'd ever lived in on a wild whim. During those two years it was silence at best and agony at worst, and despite having a generally quite good JSA they never once even got me an interview.

Also Melbourne loving rocks.

Cler cler call up if you're bored or anything I'm around! :v

I've got boaaard gaaaaames

and pussy cats!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mhs68qhohI

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Jim, a constituent of Mr Dutton's Dickson electorate in Queensland, told the station he attended a ceremony at Kedron State High School where there was "not one Christmas carol" and the final song replaced the lyrics of We Wish You A Merry Christmas with "we wish you a happy holiday".

Definitely sounds like something that happened

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Les Affaires posted:

Hi guys, I have a request for all and sundry. I'm looking for people to share their experiences in employment in Australia, ranging from having, losing, looking for, regaining and keeping it. I'm interested in stories good and bad, but only if you're comfortable about posting it. In particular I'm interested in how your interaction with Centrelink and Job Services Australia have either helped or hampered (both?) your job search.

I also want to know whether you have tried for jobs that aren't "ideal" for you but still something to tide you over before getting a job you prefer.

This is part of a discussion I am having with my wife about the barriers to employment for Australians, and in general I think it's good to highlight these things from time to time anyway.

If you could also include how long you were unemployed for and which part of Australia you were/are living in, that would help too.

Thanks!

Been unemployed four times. The three longest ones were for three to six months, in South East Queensland.

After high school and after some pub work, couldn’t get any shifts, so signed onto centrelink and onto Max Employment. I already knew how to do a resume, but didn’t have enough life experience to put down beyond pub work. They managed to set me up with a day labourer gig at a factory but it was only a few weeks work. After that work dried up, I was pretty much persona non grata. I’d turn up, look through the same listings that I’d already applied for and try talking to the different Max Employment workers but no luck. The impression I’d got was we’d done our part, you hosed it up, now we’ll ignore you until you gently caress off. I coach surfed, went driving school and paid for a truck license, and found courier work after that was permanent part time. Lasting memory was anxiety, shame, and that I’d done something wrong and there wasn’t any help.

Next time, was after the GFC, and the mining contractor I was working for lost their contract and fired us all by sms. Had some savings, but signed on with centrelink and a jsa. Refused to sign up with max employment after the last experience. Depression, general feeling of worthlessness, reinforced by the attitude of some of the jsa workers. Centrelink workers had a good attitude on the whole, but you could see they were understaffed and never to bother doing anything over the phone. I would walk to centrelink, the jsa, and the interviews I could to save money. After rent, I had about $60 a week left over from newstart, so was homecooking a lot of vegetables. General feeling of sadness and boredom, because you can’t do anything because no money except think after cooking, cleaning, exercising. The JSA office had a section for their own workers. The glass till standing head height was that scratched pattern to stop people seeing in. Above that was normal glass. One day after using their computers I looked over and they had their job seekers, branch income and profit numbers written on their whiteboard in that room. I don’t know how many unemployed they had on their books but numbers marked profit for the past four weeks listed $80,000 to $110,000. A lot of anger then. Ended up with a pick packing job as a casual. Didn’t receive anything beyond free internet from the JSA.

Last time was the longest period about 6 months no work, which was three or four years ago. Company decided to outsource my department to contractors, to reduce costs and kick permanent part time and permanent to casual contractors, which would cost a bit more but would make it easier to keep everyone in line and give uppity workers the flick. Back at Max Employment because there wasn’t any other JSA that I could easily get to. Got nothing, received nothing, applied to 20 jobs a week, got auto replys saying ‘thanks, but no job’, many more non replys. Big fat negative drips on your ego, where you feel like you’re spinning wheels with all this effort and getting nowhere. Ended up with a lot of call centre interviews, that would take a day hearing a spiel from the company to sell insurance, foxtel, whatever to randoms with a cold call. You’d have 30ish candidates hearing all this lovey company poo poo that we value our workers, going through all of this, for one job slot. A waste of time, effort, and I hated the presumption that as a jobseeker my time was worthless, you don’t have anywhere better to be, give us a day of your time to do this poo poo.

In conclusion, I like dealing with centrelink in person, can’t deal with phone poo poo or this electronic logging in crap they’re pushing now. gently caress all the JSAs, bring back the commonwealth employment services or something better government run, and increase loving newstart so I can actually get to more job interviews rather than worry about it cutting into my loving food budget.

poo poo will get worse what with 19 workers for 1 job according to new mathilda, who knows. With automation, with might end up with a universal basic income to keep us from ripping to shreds the loving rich.

BCR fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 15, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Who was it that off-shored their job search?

I'd like to hear about that again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
They do realise the etymology of the word holiday don't they?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They do realise the etymology of the word holiday don't they?

Is it Muslim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Who was it that off-shored their job search?

I'd like to hear about that again.

That was bb

• Locked thread