Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

"This derail got the dedicated thread closed. Let's just drag it into the main webcomics thread."

I'm going to talk about Questionable Content now. You made me do this. This blood is on your hands now.

This is a much more straightforward resolution to the Bubbles/Faye thing than I was expecting. I was sure we'd get the same old 'could have been solved by basic communication skills' plot that we always get. Except, plot twist... someone is being encouraged to actually use basic communication skills.

I am cautiously optimistic about where this could be going.

Really? I'm surprised you were surprised. QC thrives by diffusing any possible tension between characters. Jeph got tired of the robot fight thing so he's going to do this for like a whopping 1-2 weeks then have the mean boss-bot get arrested and then... I don't know, Bubbles gets hired at the loving coffee shop like everyone else.

So long as we're on the thread's bimonthly QC derail, I think I've pinned down what really bothers me about the strip and it's the total lack of conflict. Everybody is everybody's friend and sometimes new quirky friends show up and everybody just accepts them, no questions asked. That's not how characters work because that's not how people work. I mean, as a thought exercise, have you ever hung out with one of your friends' friends or co-worker that you didn't know so well and found it just a little awkward? If you answered no, you either a.) are incredibly outgoing and have a strong rapport with strangers, you should consider a public speaking career, or b.) You are a character in Questionable Content. The only character I can think of that's remotely disliked in Jeph's giant cast is Dora's brother Sven, and they had a story devoted to those two squashing their beef a while back, so now we're right back to nobody having problems with anybody and it's just... frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i like those too, we have one named marianne who was super chill up until the moment her four chicks hatched and now she's a terrifying valkyrie in their defense. that's her preening on the the left, also one of her babies on the right and one under her (look closely)

this hilarious little guy hatched the other day, his name is aureliano rano and he's an araucana (i'm fairly sure he's a rooster but not 100%). araucanas are a south american breed and they lay pale blue eggs.

and these are my two favourite children right now, desdemona and shouty blossom

they're the same age but i think desdemona is a bit, you know. anyway she's a silver-grey dorking, which is the oldest breed of domestic chicken on record, dating back to the time of the roman empire. shouty blossom is just a funny mongrel but she follows me around like a dog and every time i bend or crouch down she jumps on my back, i named her shouty blossom because she was an extremely loud chick but now she is fairly quiet. they're both sweet placid little things. desdemona also has an extra claw on each foot (breed characteristic) so that's good, she looks like an atomic mutant

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is the best derail

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Avshalom posted:

i had quails but a quoll killed them all (a quoll is like an australian weasel) i came home and their headless bodies were scattered all over the shed because apparently quolls always just take the heads and leave the bodies untouched, it's loving weird

There's quolls living in my parent's house's walls and every night i'm there they scream endlessly while either fighting or loving or both. They haven't severed any heads that we know about yet though.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Poison Mushroom posted:

This is the best derail
sadly it's over now because my loving stupid job forces me to go to bed at an inhuman hour. however before i go here are some baby photos

desdemona

shouty blossom

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Those birbs are adorable

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

TwoPair posted:

So long as we're on the thread's bimonthly QC derail, I think I've pinned down what really bothers me about the strip and it's the total lack of conflict. Everybody is everybody's friend and sometimes new quirky friends show up and everybody just accepts them, no questions asked. That's not how characters work because that's not how people work. I mean, as a thought exercise, have you ever hung out with one of your friends' friends or co-worker that you didn't know so well and found it just a little awkward? If you answered no, you either a.) are incredibly outgoing and have a strong rapport with strangers, you should consider a public speaking career, or b.) You are a character in Questionable Content. The only character I can think of that's remotely disliked in Jeph's giant cast is Dora's brother Sven, and they had a story devoted to those two squashing their beef a while back, so now we're right back to nobody having problems with anybody and it's just... frustrating.

I just think of QC like Friends or Seinfeld or one of those types of shows in webcomic form. There's conflict and consequences when they need to happen, but at its core its just a bunch of people hanging out and being buds while assorted life poo poo happens along the way.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Also:

Xarbala posted:

Those birbs are adorable

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
they are good friends of mine

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol you're allowed to call QC actively terrible, I doubt Jeph Jacques is going to stab his hand again.

Like just the art is incredibly bad, you can say it straight.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 13, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's adorable in a sad sort of way that the best anyone has to say is that it's regular and reliable, like a pensioner talking about fibre.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

avshalom is now a hero of mine

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't give a crap about your dumb comics but those are some A++ chucks, good job avshalom

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Avshalom if you're dying, can... can I have one of your chickens? :shobon:

I'll settle for a fertilized egg. I'll call the hatchling Jeph.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Speaking of QC I am enjoying the current Sam and Fuzzy arc quite a bit and am surprised by the unexpected encounter...

But it still feels super weird to have a Sam and Fuzzy version of Pintsuze running around

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm enjoying QC, mostly. I'm not too interested in the recent stuff with Brun, but the Bubbles and Faye stuff is pretty good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Death Ray posted:

Muh latest. I'm pretty proud of my techno-spaghetti starships, much to the consternation of the elders of my small, Amish community.

I feel like this didn't get enough love, because this is a really good looking page.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Captain Oblivious posted:

What is a clevin

and clell

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It feels like the most likely outcome is Faye and Bubbles becoming partners in their own robot body shop.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Death Ray posted:

Muh latest. I'm pretty proud of my techno-spaghetti starships, much to the consternation of the elders of my small, Amish community.

i like your ships, weird alt-comics guy

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I feel like this didn't get enough love, because this is a really good looking page.

Thank you, Doctor. Silence is violence.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it is good but I am made uncomfortable by that one veiny spaceball

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't know who or what you are, Avshalom, but whatever's going on, it's an amazing ride.

I think they're the K6BD goddess that's actually just a flock of birds.

That or this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jre-aMAgP5I

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Pavlov posted:

I think they're the K6BD goddess that's actually just a flock of birds.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/killsixbilliondemons/images/2/28/Ksbd_4-55.png/revision/latest?cb=20141227225631

yeah, that sounds right

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Poison Mushroom posted:

"This derail got the dedicated thread closed. Let's just drag it into the main webcomics thread."

I'm going to talk about Questionable Content now. You made me do this. This blood is on your hands now.

This is a much more straightforward resolution to the Bubbles/Faye thing than I was expecting. I was sure we'd get the same old 'could have been solved by basic communication skills' plot that we always get. Except, plot twist... someone is being encouraged to actually use basic communication skills.

I am cautiously optimistic about where this could be going.

is the fat woman's head getting smaller

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Gutter Owl posted:

Jeph Jacques is the anti-Aaron Diaz. Consistent updates, pleasant personality, female robots who aren't thinly-disguised cocksockets.

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

sadly it's over now because my loving stupid job forces me to go to bed at an inhuman hour. however before i go here are some baby photos

desdemona

shouty blossom

:3:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
From the latest two pages of Daughter of the Lilies:

I timg'd them since they're long, but they're worth looking at full size, the second page in particular.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Onean posted:

I timg'd them since they're long, but they're worth looking at full size, the second page in particular.

Taking this completely out of context it looks like someone just got ryu ga waga teki go gently caress yourself'd

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Death Ray posted:

Thank you, Doctor. Silence is violence.

Yeah, I'd never fault your art in a million years--I was just unpacking some of my boxes of comics (just moved) and took a moment to appreciate the composition of your action shots in Weapon Brown. Heckuva thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xarbala posted:

Taking this completely out of context it looks like someone just got ryu ga waga teki go gently caress yourself'd
That's basically what happens in context, too.

Bananachin
May 1, 2010
I just noticed on re-read that Maya's got the kanji/chinese character for "in/centre" on the back of her robes

I forget where it was said she' is/was a mercenary (Abaddon's tumblr?) but I think I've got a decent idea now which demiurge she works for (sixth panel)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bananachin posted:

I just noticed on re-read that Maya's got the kanji/chinese character for "in/centre" on the back of her robes

I forget where it was said she' is/was a mercenary (Abaddon's tumblr?) but I think I've got a decent idea now which demiurge she works for (sixth panel)

Her name means "Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones", and she used to be a conqueror of 20,000 worlds before quitting her elite general position to be a beggar knight. Abbadon also labels her as an antagonist out for revenge in a few of her sketches. So my assumption was that she wasn't very happy with the demiurges or anyone with a magus gate.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Onean posted:

God drat I love this comic.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Nuns with Guns posted:

Her name means "Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones", and she used to be a conqueror of 20,000 worlds before quitting her elite general position to be a beggar knight. Abbadon also labels her as an antagonist out for revenge in a few of her sketches. So my assumption was that she wasn't very happy with the demiurges or anyone with a magus gate.

It could be a connection via Meti's school of swordsmanship. We don't know how many she trained, and a student or a few among the Demiurges would be unsurprising.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you can all stop worrying now, we got our k6bd thread back, i am placated

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hmmm... sluggy freelance has me thinking. Synthea is aparently an old oasis, and is deeply involved with fate. We also have a female character named Cynthia we havent seen yet - the leader of the Kzk cult, and close friend of Riffs dad.

It seems like they could easily be the same person. Maybe a red herring though. We also know one of alt oasis's names was harbinger, which is definitely a fate related name...

Hmm.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Holy poo poo Octopus Pie

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Three out of the four are related to fluids showing up in places they shouldn't.

Obviously the cause is fracking.

Well spotted in light of today's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Bongo Bill posted:

Well spotted in light of today's.

They're fracking hell!