Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I've played that game, it's called Once Upon a Time.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1234/once-upon-time-storytelling-card-game

Unfortunately, the game is easy to break if you play to WAAC. You can shoehorn your entire hand into a couple of sentences, if you're willing to be absurd about the details of the story. But if everyone's on board with the story elements in your hand needing to make some kind of sense and not just be shoved in as extraneous detail, it works.

I see that on sale at a store down the street. Going to pick it up for my better half for Christmas; seems extremely her jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's actually a fun game to play with kids. As in, adults plus kids. Most kid games are loving horrible, or at best, too simple to enjoy as an adult, but Once Upon a Time isn't.

The cards are thematically oriented towards classic fairy tales, specifically, although the expansions add related genres. I think the set I played with had added a few... fairytales, seafaring tales, maybe enchanting tales too?

Basically you can add any story element you want to a story, but if you want to use your cards, you'll have to mostly be telling a story about a princess or a fairy godmother or maybe some pirates, and the magic spell and some dragons or perhaps a gnome. You probably can't win if you try to tell a story about the invasion of Planet Bloodbath by the ravaging hordes of The Scourge of Doom.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Panzeh posted:

Interesting fact- the US tank destroyer company in flames of war used to be a similar broken combo because of the ability to teleport in a bunch of TD shots off of the recon units(the way American TDs work in FoW is kinda weird).

Especially given it has no real resemblance to the tactics that made them infamous (being kind of like modern shoot-and-scoot stuff). Or, well, anything, really; the teleporting thing is weird.

quote:

Like, in terms of top tier, the US is right there with a few Germans in Late War, mid war is a bit more open, and early war is Russians as far as the eye can see. They're coming out with a v4 that's based on a lot of Team Yankee which has some weird and bad rules in it along with some good ones.

If you include Pacific (same points scale) Japanese infantry spam is also kind of insane.

MikeCrotch posted:

I've never understood the appeal of FoW at all. You have models that can be used with literally any WWII ruleset and people intentionally play the one that is essentially warhammer 1940k

Everyone else plays it :shrug:

I want to play more CoC but FoW isn't horrible, and it has a load of pick-up-and-play features. I think TY's a mechanically better game though, flaky rules clarity aside.

w00tmonger posted:

hahaha what the gently caress. Just went to check out vampire models for inspiration and saw the price of these bat-bro's

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Fell-Bats

can anyone explain that to me? 60 cana-dollars

:captainpop:

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Ilor posted:

Not so! In Chain of Command, the Soviets are pretty good. Their infantry is a little bit unwieldy (Soviet doctrine treated the squad as the smallest unit of fire-and-maneuver, rather than fireteams within a squad like the other armies), but their tanks are good and their artillery barrages are loving awesome. They also have the cheapest sniper teams in the game, again reflecting the importance Soviet doctrine placed on sharpshooters.

Soviets in Bolt Action are sweet. Free rifle squad (they suck but having 12 rifles is not a bad thing) and have the potential to become regular. Some of their lists allow you to field dual artillery and it doesn't feel gamey. The 3 for 1 anti teams means you can infiltrate small veteran teams with SMG's and panzerfausts in silly numbers. Heavy tanks they have are brutal, tank riders are nifty. Their special rules are very situational, if a unit needs to roll for morale it's usually going to be ineffective either way and the bombardment rule is not amazing.

Early war you have so many crazy options like Commissars, dog mines and don't forget they have a massive armoured boat for river scenarios that ignores it's first penetrating hit.

But yeah CoC they are odd as balls.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Didn't the Soviet dog-mines backfire horribly in real life or have I been led astray?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the kickstarter for The Other Side has cleared 130k in four and a half hours. it just cleared its second stretch goal which means in addition to the rule books being upgraded to hardcover they're also going to be releasing faction specific fate decks as add-ons

which means they just got more money from me

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Leperflesh posted:

It's actually a fun game to play with kids. As in, adults plus kids. Most kid games are loving horrible, or at best, too simple to enjoy as an adult, but Once Upon a Time isn't.

The cards are thematically oriented towards classic fairy tales, specifically, although the expansions add related genres. I think the set I played with had added a few... fairytales, seafaring tales, maybe enchanting tales too?

Basically you can add any story element you want to a story, but if you want to use your cards, you'll have to mostly be telling a story about a princess or a fairy godmother or maybe some pirates, and the magic spell and some dragons or perhaps a gnome. You probably can't win if you try to tell a story about the invasion of Planet Bloodbath by the ravaging hordes of The Scourge of Doom.

I bought Once Upon A Time for a friend's birthday once, and in one sitting we managed to turn simple cards into some kind of fantasy Batman story. An orphaned prince, a talking animal, a magical carriage etc. etc. It's a great game if your friends "get" that the point of the game is to tell a story, not win at all costs by trying to play all your hand in one go. People would end their turn if they couldn't take the story anywhere, happily picking up more cards to see what they could include in their next turn.

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

Didn't the Soviet dog-mines backfire horribly in real life or have I been led astray?

Most definitely and the rules reflect that. Afterwords dogs were usually shot on sight by German soldiers. Watched a short clip of AT training in Germany have to dig a trench have a T-34 run over it and then approach it with a practise mine. :baby:

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

Xwing was my gateway drug for him on his birthday. But he now wants to try a "proper wargame."

I guess to expand, the big issue with modelling for my nephew is that he has mobility issues with his hands and it makes craft skills challenging (and frustrating) for him to do. He only mentioned yesterday that he would like something like that for christmas, otherwise I probably would have ordered a box ahead of time and put it together for him. Really I'm looking for something that we could put together in a couple of hours with minimal fuss and then fit in a game over the evening.

I didn't see anyone else mention this yet, but you might be interested in the new 2 player starter set,"Kick off" for Guild Ball. It includes 2 full teams (6 players each) that come pre-assembled. It also includes literally everything you need to play; tokens, game mat, full teams, rules.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

They were kind of useless, but the usual story goes "Those silly russians trained them on their own tanks, so they blew their own guys up! Schoolboy error" when in actual fact it's more like "live tanks are loving terrifying and so are machineguns and dozens of angry people throwing grenades and poo poo at you and in circumstances like that dogs like to return to people familiar to them, i.e. their handlers, which is bad when they have a mine strapped to them".

It was a kind of bad idea all around but in actuality less funny than it's usually portrayed since it was typically a terrified dog running towards someone who'd been training it for weeks who had to frantically shoot it before everyone got blown up.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
rip poor war doggos :(

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Leperflesh posted:

Amazing.

For those that don't know, 2000AD heavily influenced the earliest development of 40k, and Citadel at one time had the license to make Judge Dredd miniatures, among others. Adeptus Arbites are just Judge Dredd with the serial numbers filed off.

And since the 2000AD property unambiguously predates Warhammer, there isn't a goddamn thing GW can do (legally) about Warlord making minis that are dead ringers for Adeptus Arbites, etc.

Aside from Judge Dredd, I've never heard of any of those comics. But if they are mostly going to focus on the British market, I guess it's fine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Not a viking posted:

Aside from Judge Dredd, I've never heard of any of those comics. But if they are mostly going to focus on the British market, I guess it's fine.

If they make a Nemesis the Warlock model, the circle will be complete.

CREEDO!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

potentiallycool posted:

Soviets in Bolt Action are sweet. Free rifle squad (they suck but having 12 rifles is not a bad thing) and have the potential to become regular. Some of their lists allow you to field dual artillery and it doesn't feel gamey. The 3 for 1 anti teams means you can infiltrate small veteran teams with SMG's and panzerfausts in silly numbers. Heavy tanks they have are brutal, tank riders are nifty. Their special rules are very situational, if a unit needs to roll for morale it's usually going to be ineffective either way and the bombardment rule is not amazing.

Early war you have so many crazy options like Commissars, dog mines and don't forget they have a massive armoured boat for river scenarios that ignores it's first penetrating hit.

But yeah CoC they are odd as balls.

My comment was less that Soviets are a bad side to pick, and more that the games tend to reflect the post-war, pro-German propaganda about the Soviets to make them good, like hordes of unskilled soldiers being herded by executioner-commissars, large numbers of weak tanks that can only beat the German big cats using overwhelming numbers, gimmicks like the bomb dogs, etc

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

NTRabbit posted:

My comment was less that Soviets are a bad side to pick, and more that the games tend to reflect the post-war, pro-German propaganda about the Soviets to make them good, like hordes of unskilled soldiers being herded by executioner-commissars, large numbers of weak tanks that can only beat the German big cats using overwhelming numbers, gimmicks like the bomb dogs, etc

Yeah, that's where CoC shines, as you use actual historical platoons. And a regular soldier with a rifle is a regular soldier with a rifle, no matter which side they fight on. So differences are more about platoon structure and stats for tanks than "army books" as in 40K or FoW. A Soviet tank rider platoon is different than a German Fallshirmsjäger platoon, not because of some special stats or anything, but in that they have a different number of sections and a different number of men in each section.

A 1939 Soviet rifle platoon is a hilarious horde because they field four sections with 15 men in each, but that's because it's the historical platoon structure. A lot of armies had 10+ men in their sections at the start of WW2, until practical experience made it clear that it was too big. Germany had 13 men in each in 1939.

So while an early Soviet platoon is very much a horde, a mechanized 1941 Soviet platoon is small and lean. There's no "they'll fight like this because they are from faction X", it's more about figuring out why a platoon was structured like it was, and how to use the inherent strengths and weaknesses.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Not a viking posted:

You should read Nemesis just to laugh at how hard GW cribbed from it

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hah, I'm tickled pink to see someone mention SSW, surprised it got as popular as it did; the original author is my best friend/former GM/roommate/best man at my wedding. I'll have to text him and let him know people are still using it years after he stopped working on it. And Battletech was my very first tabletop game and introduction into gaming, it's still not a bad system for getting people into wargaming as it still has pretty reasonable balance and the rules aren't a total garbage fire.

Though all this talk of boxes of 'mech minis is just weird to me, real men play BT with cardboard standups in plastic clip bases, the way the game originally shipped. :colbert:

I use both SSW and the newer MML, because while they're largely similar, I've had a few less bugs with SSW even if it is no longer "in date".
On the other hand MML has benefits too (newer tech, and they're getting the interface up to par).
It really depends what I'm trying to do.

Shadin posted:

Seconding this, I love Battletech, warts and all. Building mechs (stats, not models) was always a blast.

Thirding, seeing as the intro box set is still available from catalyst after all - although it's the one with the hammerhands on the front so I guess the plastic minis aren't as good as the boxes with the atlas on the front?? (the atlas cover box set had brilliant quality plastic)

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-25th-anniversary-introductory-box-set

So I'm a bit sceptical about that copy - I grabbed two of the atlas cover because the plastic was that good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have the old set and it's fine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

mcjomar posted:

(the atlas cover box set had brilliant quality plastic)

I dunno if I'd call it brilliant quality by any stretch, but definitely Good Enough. Especially when you consider that there is literally no need to put the minis together - inside the intro box is literally just a big plastic bag of complete, solid minis.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm only calling it brilliant quality in comparison to all the previous attempts at plastic mechs for CBT use that came before that box set.

The intro box set from before the atlas cover tended/tends to have some sculpting/casting issues, and sometimes needs to be reglued, which isn't so hot when you're trying to sell this as a good alternative to x (x being whatever game you're comparing to).

I've got a number of plastic CBT minis from various boxes, going back to citytech and unseen, and honestly, this new stuff is pretty drat good in comparison to most of that.
The unseen plastics haven't been amazing so far for what I've had when I've dug them up on ebay, and the citytech stuff wasn't too stunning either.
The old battlemaster box set wasn't great, and the hammerhands box set was the same plastics IIRC.
So when you compare to previous sets, the atlas comes out a firm winner, overall. I'd love to see more of that sort of thing from catalyst.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oh, you can try Heavy Gear: Blitz as well, I haven't tried the rules yet, but the minis are super quality plastic - small, but not fiddly, and with a low part count.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah, I think that's a trend with everything. Chain of Command is probably the best game for it but Russian rifle platoons still top out at "regular", for example. FoW's issues with soviets are well documented and BA has their unique gimmick being... bonus badly-trained soldiers.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i'm watching Kill La Kill

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i've stopped watching Kill La Kill

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Blitzkrieg Commander allows a lot if freedom in how you can build Soviet armies both in terms of composition and quality of troops. However they are hamstrung by having to use Rigid formations, which gives some minor bonuses but makes them much harder to use and less flexible than Wallies or Germans. Certainly not an army for beginners.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Moola posted:

i'm watching Kill La Kill

Moola posted:

i've stopped watching Kill La Kill

The timestamp on these posts says more than any novel could.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
adults enjoy that poo poo?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cory in the House is the best anime.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i'm watching Cowboy Beebop instead

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Quick someone post about how good AoS is before animechat starts.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Moola posted:

i'm watching Cowboy Beebop instead

Drone posted:

Quick someone post about how good AoS is before animechat starts.

3, 2, 1, let's go

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I agree 100% with Moolas Kill la Kill review.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I've played that game, it's called Once Upon a Time.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1234/once-upon-time-storytelling-card-game

Unfortunately, the game is easy to break if you play to WAAC. You can shoehorn your entire hand into a couple of sentences, if you're willing to be absurd about the details of the story. But if everyone's on board with the story elements in your hand needing to make some kind of sense and not just be shoved in as extraneous detail, it works.

The game specifically says that when someone does that you call them out and they get some sort of penalty. The game is really about the journey and not "winning" which is just kind of there so that it can end at some point. It's really good with the right people but I've played with a few that just don't "get" it and you have to just acknowledge they aren't going to be able to play that sort of game.

The worst two people to play that game are the types previously mentioned and the others that try and immediately destroy other people's stories to do their own ("ok so your frog gets stepped on and killed now about my magical goat") instead of adding to it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
In a similar vein i had some great fun with Aye, Dark Overlord.

One player is the Dark Overlord, everyone else plays their incompetent goblin minions who just returned from a failed mission. The minion players use cards to introduce natrative elements to explain why it's not their fault the mission failed and to pass blame around the table while in Overlord can interject at any point, ask follow-up questions and decides who's responsible in the end.

Like Once Upon a time it requires everyone to be on the same page but if you have a good group it's a great game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Watch Mob Psycho 100 instead

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Xarbala posted:

Watch Mob Psycho 100 instead

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

3, 2, 1, let's go

I like the dog he's a good dog 12/10

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I had the anime dog before he died. My brother wants an anime dog again.

Ive been watching re:zero. It's a great horror/drama series. It's bloodborne the anime.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ilor posted:

Not so! In Chain of Command, the Soviets are pretty good. Their infantry is a little bit unwieldy (Soviet doctrine treated the squad as the smallest unit of fire-and-maneuver, rather than fireteams within a squad like the other armies), but their tanks are good and their artillery barrages are loving awesome. They also have the cheapest sniper teams in the game, again reflecting the importance Soviet doctrine placed on sharpshooters.

Please don't tell me someone made a WW2 game with no-to-limited faction bias and that reflects the different forge org systems of the time. My wallet doesn't need any more harm atm.
Is it 15mm or 28mm?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I had the anime dog before he died. My brother wants an anime dog again.

Ive been watching re:zero. It's a great horror/drama series. It's bloodborne the anime.

he dies?!?!?

• Locked thread