Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

euphronius posted:

They punted one and done . Peace in our time!

Yeah, but the union was apparently pushing for a 0-or-2 and the league wanted two years straight up. Other than minor profit-sharing stuff it sounds like the biggest sticking point

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/809200473429385217

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

straight up brolic posted:

I like to imagine that Draymond hasn't actually read the new CBA and just saw the unanimously positive reviews and couldn't resist sending off cryptic tweets in opposition to it

The owners rejected a last minute change to allow kicks to the groin

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm sure there was stuff Draymond was fighting for. You can have a good agreement and also be frustrated that it didn't go further.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope there are some trades soon.

Maybe with the Cba going through (pending votes) some deals will happen.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Looks like neither the players nor the owners wanted to rock the boat too hard with regards to this new CBA. Seems smart to me, there have been cracks in the NFL's dominance of the American sports psyche this season, and the NBA is now in the best position to take advantage of it.

EDIT:

euphronius posted:

I hope there are some trades soon.

Maybe with the Cba going through (pending votes) some deals will happen.

Today is also the first day players signed in the offseason can be traded, so we might actually see something go through soon.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Austin Rivers shot 7-10 from 3 last night lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kibner posted:

This was really awesome. Thanks for posting it!

It's cool because Rose isn't injury prone because of his body, he's injury prone because of his stupid mind.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Bill Simmons just wrote a 2 part piece of fan fiction about Cousins going to Boston. I have been reading him for 15 years. It is the worst thing he has ever published.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

With the new designated player rule cousins is even less likely to be traded because they can now just dump like a 240 million contract on his head.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

BWV posted:

Bill Simmons just wrote a 2 part piece of fan fiction about Cousins going to Boston. I have been reading him for 15 years. It is the worst thing he has ever published.

That's saying alot.

euphronius posted:

With the new designated player rule cousins is even less likely to be traded because they can now just dump like a 240 million contract on his head.

Does he really want to stay in Sacramento? From my understanding I thought he wanted to play with John Wall... or maybe that was some lovely click-bait article I read.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He can get 6 years at 35% from vivek. He can helicopter in from San franscisco every day with that kind of dough.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I like Bill Simmons more than most but I will literally never read anything he writes.

Bill simmons, literally posted:

“I remember when we traded for him last year,” says Bobby Sullivan, an assistant manager at DeLuca’s, “hearing how he was a cancer and all that stuff. Then you see him here every day and it’s like, ‘This guy?’ I’ve seen him buy groceries for everyone in line. I’ve seen him stay for hours outside just taking pictures with strangers. I’ve never been more wrong about anyone.”

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

BWV posted:

I'm excited to read this

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

I think it just increases his trade value.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

There is literally a line in here where he has pretended he has hired Jalen Rose for his website

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Holy hell this is the best thing I've ever read

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it just increases his trade value.

How do you figure. Because the acquiring team has a better shot of resigning him?

I wonder if you can designate players you trade for .

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

How do you figure. Because the acquiring team has a better shot of resigning him?

I wonder if you can designate players you trade for .
If Bird rights or their equivalent are still a thing it gives the team trading for him a dramatic advantage in FA

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, I think the point is mainly you can only have one. So Golden State would have to choose between mega-maxing Durant or Curry before Draymond gets pissed he wasn't mega-maxed and goes to Orlando

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Bird rights or their equivalent are still a thing it gives the team trading for him a dramatic advantage in FA

It's not just bird rights it's the one player only designation

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Cool Buff Man posted:

After noticing that Joe Ingles is leading the nba in 3pt % I looked him up and saw this

I like Joe Ingles

He's on teh Jazz so it's a love that can never be for me

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The "With Apologies to Metapod" Rule

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/809430191563046913

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

so obvious that Chris Paul hooked up himself and Blake

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's a pretty big matzah ball!!!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

When Ainge asked if Red Auerbach would have pursued Cousins, Heinsohn quickly fired back, "Red would've already gotten him."

Ainge finished the deal with Sacramento two hours later.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Is the Simmons fanfic better or worse than the infamous NFL reporter Peter King fanfic of Tom Brady ten years ago or so? This took me forever to find, as SI seems to have scrubbed it.

https://www.orangepower.com/threads/a-brief-kevin-williams-mention.13679/

quote:

Those are matters for another day. After the game, Brady and his new girlfriend, Lindsay Lohan, walked arm in arm out of Ford Field. "Time to celebrate,'' said Brady, who's so much like Wally Cleaver he even talks like him. "We're headed out for a cheeseburger and a chocolate malt.''

"Anything you say, Tom,'' Lohan said. "But can you get Cristal at Steak and Shake?''

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Yeah Boogie is definitely going to sign a 6 year max with the Kings and isn't going to ask his good buddy John Wall how that 5 year $85m max deal worked out.

Or remember how signing a long term contract with the Kings worked out last time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Is the Simmons fanfic better or worse than the infamous NFL reporter Peter King fanfic of Tom Brady ten years ago or so? This took me forever to find, as SI seems to have scrubbed it.

https://www.orangepower.com/threads/a-brief-kevin-williams-mention.13679/

This can't be real

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
All this sports fanfic still pales in comparison to The Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If he wants 35% he has to do 6 years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

I am not gonna read this because lol but I did go back and read some of his really old page 2 stuff for funsies awhile back and strongly encourage y'all to do the same because it is hilariously bad now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That's still a huge deal. Are Klay and Draymond really going to forgo literally nearly 50-60 million dollars to stay in Golden State with this new designated player rule?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I had to stop reading that Simmons article, but everyone should read them both.

Paul Zuvella posted:

That's still a huge deal. Are Klay and Draymond really going to forgo literally nearly 50-60 million dollars to stay in Golden State with this new designated player rule?

Signing for 35% of the cap is going to be really hard in FA, assuming you don't need bird rights or something for the new rule. The cap bonanza last year is not going to happen again anytime soon, especially with minimum contracts, rookie contracts, and mid-level exceptions going up.

This will, though, make it tougher on the super teams as well as this raises the ceiling of the max contract making luxury tax a bigger problem.

I like the rule. It gives top players more money and more security and it (might) add a little more parity in the league without ruining things, which is a plus.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

The preseason should be cut in half. I know it's a giant scam for the owners but it's pointless for most teams. The regular season is forgiving enough in terms of making the playoffs that you don't need many preseason games to get ready. Maybe 30 years ago when the players wouldn't do poo poo in the offseason, but NBA players these days work their rear end off year round and are rarely out of shape.
The thing is, it didn't used to be a scam. Coaches and players' consensus across all sports used to be that you needed a 4-6 week preseason to get ready. Back when the NFL had a 12-14 game schedule (50's, 60's, early 70's) there were years where the preseason was actually six games long.

Of course, this was all back before players took year-round conditioning seriously and they actually needed a long preseason to get back into shape.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 15, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Yeah, but the union was apparently pushing for a 0-or-2 and the league wanted two years straight up. Other than minor profit-sharing stuff it sounds like the biggest sticking point
Ughhhhhhhh

Zero-or-two would be perfect. I spitballed an idea similar to this year a few years ago because it would work similar to the modern MLB draft.

I like it because the best prospects get to come out after high school, and those who don't know that they have at least two years to work on their game to see if they can get into guaranteed first round money.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Draymond and Klay should've gotten the max in the first place, but BJ Armstrong is literally one of the worst agents

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

The thing is, it didn't used to be a scam. Coaches and players' consensus across all sports used to be that you needed a 4-6 week preseason to get ready. Back when the NFL had a 12-14 game schedule (50's, 60's, early 70's) there were years where the preseason was actually six games long.

Players used to not train or keep in shape at all during the offseason so it probably made sense just to get their wind back

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Players used to not train or keep in shape at all during the offseason so it probably made sense just to get their wind back
You beat me to my edit by about three seconds you jerk :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Away all Goats posted:

Don't know if you've seen this but it's pretty cool. Some of the clips feature lebron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwocezhA6cI

haha as expected it's a whole lot of clips of Derrick Rose at the rim with big red circle and text flashing DON'T EVER DO THIS

I was thinking this interview was going to be about him coming to terms with his world's-worst biomechanics, but instead it lead him to putting out the most heinous statement I have ever read from any athlete in universal history:
https://nypost.com/2016/12/03/derrick-rose-talks-return-to-elite-status-chicago-trauma-and-being-a-loner/

quote:

I wish I never dunked the ball.

Also:

quote:

Q: Have you studied other athletes at all?

A: I wouldn’t say studied, but observe and try to watch as close as possible.

Q: Who would you try to watch?

A: People like Pele, people like Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, like Bobby Fischer (smile). I try to see what ticks people and makes ’em obsessed with whatever their interests are.
what?

• Locked thread