Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RandomPauI posted:

For the Flat-Earthers, why do they think the conspiracy exists in the first place?

Because everyone else is a sleeping boring sheeple and they're brave awake truth warriors not boring retail workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
While most of the current Flat Earth Society was done as a joke, they've done the joke so well that people who are crazy or just not bright are reading about it and believing it's real. And decide any parts that are clearly joke are proof it's real.

It's a danger of doing anything like this as a joke, suddenly you've got a bunch of sincere followers and people start thinking you're as dumb as they are.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, that's how bronies happened. And we've only just started to recover.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Want to send a potato with a Christmas message on it to someone?

quote:

X-MAS POTATOES
I write whatever message you want on grade 'A' Canadian locally sourced organic potatoes and mail them to your not-so-loved ones.

Hey, sorry I drank all the punch.

TLDR: I'll send your not-so-loved-ones a potato with a personalized Christmas message on it, saving you money and the time needed to actually shop for/think of a good present.

Anyhoo, my name is Karan and I'm a university student up to my eyeballs in debt. As a fellow mouth breather, I know you will understand that during this time of year we are inundated with messages from our friends and family about Christmas time shopping. Despite having little to no money we are societally obliged to give beyond our means to people we either vaguely know or only barely tolerate.

quote:

Risks and challenges

Well, I may run out of potatoes. But no need to worry I have vegan potatoes stocked up: Sweet potatoes. If you ask me, they seem even more festive than potatoes. Don't tell the potatoes I said that.

Also, its final season right now and pharmacokinetics is the worst so shipping may be irregular. Again no need to fret- my roommate has volunteered to step up if things get tough.

I may run out of nontoxic black felt. I'll attach a note to your gift telling the recipient not to eat the potato.

quote:

Pledge CA$ 20 or more
ABOUT $15
Glittery + Potato messages

My accountant (who also goes by 'mom') has just informed me that glitter is expensive so basically ill ship one custom potato to whatever part of the world COVERED IN GLITTER.

I may or may not kiss it goodbye.

ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Jan 2017
SHIPS TO
Only certain countries

quote:

I'm doing this so I can buy myself TITANFALL 2.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fishmech posted:

While most of the current Flat Earth Society was done as a joke, they've done the joke so well that people who are crazy or just not bright are reading about it and believing it's real. And decide any parts that are clearly joke are proof it's real.

It's a danger of doing anything like this as a joke, suddenly you've got a bunch of sincere followers and people start thinking you're as dumb as they are.

And once again it turns out that Umberto Eco was right about literally everything.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I like the idea of sending someone glittery potato with "Merry XMas" written in it in sharpie in February. Keeping the absurdism alive in modern times is no easy feat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

I like the whole idea that the Earth used to be surrounded by a big shell of hovering water and the flood was God letting that fall down. "Like" the idea as in it's funny, not that I believe it.

There's a really good Ted Chiang short story "Tower of Babylon" about some miners who are hired to climb to the top of the Tower of Babylon because they actually finished it and got to the part where the sky stopped and needed them to dig up to try and reach God.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I thought this was a Cards against humanity kickstarter at first.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

There's a really good Ted Chiang short story "Tower of Babylon" about some miners who are hired to climb to the top of the Tower of Babylon because they actually finished it and got to the part where the sky stopped and needed them to dig up to try and reach God.

Hahaha that rules

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Maybe its just me, but this looks dumb as poo poo.

Note, the record isn't moving, the box is.

Hhaha, I thought this was about the Flat Earth thing too.

There are atheist Flat Earthers, that's the weird thing.

I liked that map Kickstarter better when I thought it was about making maps that more accurately represent the size of landmasses relative to each other, so people don't think it takes 24 hours to drive from London to Amsterdam (like I did)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
To quote myself from another thread:

Trabant posted:

are you lazy

or lazy lazy

https://vimeo.com/191577933

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It doesn't seem like a terrible idea, though the app feels a little over complicated. Personally, I just don't make my bed :shrug:

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I watched it with the sound off because I'm at work, I'm assuming the breakdancing was a necessary part of the development procedure.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

WickedHate posted:

It doesn't seem like a terrible idea, though the app feels a little over complicated. Personally, I just don't make my bed :shrug:

it just seems like it'd be easier to flip the duvet back any number of times than to attach it to an air mattress, hook the thing up to an air compressor and mess around with an app

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You're also replacing all your sheets with just the one duvet and you have to count on it not getting tossed on the ground. Actually, it looks like it can only be unmade in a few ways where it'll still make the bed in a way that looks like a properly made bed. Like the duvet can't be at an off angle relative to the bed, or too far on any one side of the bed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use winches at the bed’s corner’s to pull it into position.

It doubles as bondage equipment.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Das Keyboard, famous among nerds, make another keyboard now with more blinkenlights.

First, they piss off backers by picking a font that violates the sensibilities of the nerds, and "fix" the issue by providing alternative keycaps people can buy in addition to the originals.

Then they send out a backer survey where they suddenly change the shipping fee after the fact; some get shipping around $20 cheaper (money which doesn't get refunded) and some get up to $100 more expensive shipping, and instead of shipping out of EU and US, they ship out of the factory, so all Europeans have to pay toll and handle import themselves. Oh yeah, they do this without even mentioning anything, leaving this as a surprise on checkout.

They then send a backer-only update saying essentially "it's better this way." The comments sections are pretty much blowing up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1229573443/das-keyboard-5q-the-cloud-connected-keyboard/comments

algorithmkiller
Oct 24, 2010
L

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

klafbang posted:

Das Keyboard, famous among nerds, make another keyboard now with more blinkenlights.

First, they piss off backers by picking a font that violates the sensibilities of the nerds, and "fix" the issue by providing alternative keycaps people can buy in addition to the originals.

Then they send out a backer survey where they suddenly change the shipping fee after the fact; some get shipping around $20 cheaper (money which doesn't get refunded) and some get up to $100 more expensive shipping, and instead of shipping out of EU and US, they ship out of the factory, so all Europeans have to pay toll and handle import themselves. Oh yeah, they do this without even mentioning anything, leaving this as a surprise on checkout.

They then send a backer-only update saying essentially "it's better this way." The comments sections are pretty much blowing up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1229573443/das-keyboard-5q-the-cloud-connected-keyboard/comments

"cloud connected keyboard"

Why?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Maw posted:

"cloud connected keyboard"

Why?

All those keystrokes I make playing CoD are important... thousands of years from now, when there is no video record of my skills, I want people to be able to look at my keystrokes like you'd look at sheet music penned by Mozart and be all like "holy poo poo! He pressed E to pay his respects!"

Also I need to ensure all of my shitposting is saved in the cloud forever, obviously.
I mean, in the cloud somewhere else other than whatever cloud SA is on.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Colour controlled via the internet? I'm a little embarrassed that I think RGB keyboards are cool, I certainly wouldn't want other people to be involved.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Goatse: now available on your keyboard.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

well why not posted:

Colour controlled via the internet? I'm a little embarrassed that I think RGB keyboards are cool, I certainly wouldn't want other people to be involved.

Not to defend it, but i think you can control the colors by IFTTT recipes. e.g. Make a/all keys go red if you have unread emails.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

can't wait to get malware on my keyboard

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I want my simple things to have far more ways to break in return for no real added utility

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Pick posted:

I want my simple things to have far more ways to break in return for no real added utility

This should be Kickstarter's slogan.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Pick posted:

internet_of_things.txt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pick posted:

It was just a dumb thing. Then we put a chip in it. Now it's a smart thing.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Not actually an awful kickstarter, but so dumb and pointless, you'll wonder why not:

http://www.lovemypulse.com

DRM Lube hahahaha

Serak has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Dec 15, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Keurig for cumming. Cumrig.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Every time flat earth comes up I like to bring up my favorite Andrew Jackson story, which is that he veto'd a bill that made it through both houses of congress attempting to fund an expedition to establish trade routes with the mole people under the earth. He veto'd it because he knew there could be no mole people living inside the hollow earth, because the earth was flat.

Somehow, I feel like "Trade routes with the mole people" is a metaphor for some of these kickstarters. Going after something that clearly can't exist if you apply even the most basic logic.....

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
There's no evidence other than hearsay that Andrew Jackson believed in a flat earth. It's almost certainly nonsense to play up his image as a uneducated hick

The arctic expedition was for exploration (something Russia and England were already doing) and though the hollow earth crazy people were supporters they weren't the reason the resolution was going forward. The bill was squashed because of politics not due to any flat earth beliefs.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

canis minor
May 4, 2011

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPttVm1vYyE :nws:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Things no intelligent person puts in the same sales pitch: "sex toy" and "pedo".

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Jedit posted:

Things no intelligent person puts in the same sales pitch: "sex toy" and "pedo".

Well, I'm not clicking that link.

\/e: Well, I'm travelling with my family today, so I'll open it as soon as I get to WiFi.

Harveygod has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Dec 15, 2016

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Harveygod posted:

Well, I'm not clicking that link.

It's only NWS, not NMS (depending on your pronunciation of 'pedometer', anyway).

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
Is there really any benefit for having keys in different colors? I remember seeing such keyboards only on really old occasions that were clearly produced before the personal computing hit the critical mass. And our school's editing rooms, but I kind of get that.

Serak posted:

Not actually an awful kickstarter, but so dumb and pointless, you'll wonder why not:

http://www.lovemypulse.com

DRM Lube hahahaha
:psyboom:

Is cold lube such a loving huge issue they saw the market gap there? I would think that on cold locations it's just basic survival instinct to not have whoopie/fap if it comes down to use cold as hell lube.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's only NWS, not NMS (depending on your pronunciation of 'pedometer', anyway).

Paedo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdu4wSBZqMM&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

cyberia posted:

Are you a man who likes candles but wish they had more rapey or douchey connotations? Well then boy do I have the kickstarter for you!

i didnt know matt hardy was a weirdo who sells candles. i thought he was an insane man who sells wrestling promos