Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't read the book but I'm guessing they replaced the book with films. The show is about people finding films that show an alternate history. Which honestly, makes more sense than a book.

They changed a lot more than that from the book, but it's for the best. One of the larger changes is that Frank and Julianna don't interact in the book.

The book is really three vignettes that don't cross other than the fact that everyone is reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't read the book but I'm guessing they replaced the book with films. The show is about people finding films that show an alternate history. Which honestly, makes more sense than a book.

It probably does, and it especially makes more sense to make it a film if the viewer is watching a TV show. The book makes more meta-sense if you're reading a book. (Insert Pimp My Ride reference here).

bull3964 posted:

They changed a lot more than that from the book, but it's for the best. One of the larger changes is that Frank and Julianna don't interact in the book.

The book is really three vignettes that don't cross other than the fact that everyone is reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy.

I'm fine with that. Like I said, I'm not one of those grognards that wants all TV/film adaptations to slavishly recreate the books they're based on. Making the stories interact a bit more is probably necessary to make it coherent as a TV series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But why would someone believe a book is evidence of an alternate history? If I saw a video of FDR curb stomping Hitler (in the 1950s no less), I would think "whoa, how does this exist? Is it real? What's going on here?" If I saw a book that said "actually the allies won and Hitler stinks," I would think "if only, also that person is at risk of being killed."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Stewart's Dixon Hill accent is hilarious :allears:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

But why would someone believe a book is evidence of an alternate history? If I saw a video of FDR curb stomping Hitler (in the 1950s no less), I would think "whoa, how does this exist? Is it real? What's going on here?" If I saw a book that said "actually the allies won and Hitler stinks," I would think "if only, also that person is at risk of being killed."

It's not literal evidence, as has more to do with ideas about the I Ching and permutations of reality that permeate the book. Basically, Philip D. Dick was interested in the idea of the I Ching in particular as a method of expressing fracturing realities, and the underlying philosophy of it bleeds through into the setting because the book is set in the Japanese-controlled west coast, where some Chinese stuff that they have co-opted have become popular. So to the characters, it's more like:

"This book depicts another version of events, which squares with this idea about the I Ching I've heard so much about."

To them, it is as real as something can get without being literally right in front of them. The characters are more willing to take a wider view of it because of the culture, but it isn't literal. It's... hard to explain. it sounds like a cop-out to say it, but you should really just read it. PDK does a way better job explaining it than I can. Sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense. I've been grading student essays all day, s my brain is kind of mushy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
And then someone did Visit To A Weird Planet, Revisited where Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley find themselves on the real Enterprise in the middle of an interplanetary crisis and have to get through it without revealing themselves as actors.

It'd make a great movie!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Railing Kill posted:

To them, it is as real as something can get without being literally right in front of them. The characters are more willing to take a wider view of it because of the culture, but it isn't literal. It's... hard to explain. it sounds like a cop-out to say it, but you should really just read it. PDK does a way better job explaining it than I can.
People here think the Berenstein/stain Bears thing is proof that they echoed into a parallel world and poo poo, so the stuff going on in PKD's book isn't that far off.

It's just kind of something that permeates the work. Like I think there's also a subplot with a guy that manufactures Americana trinkets to sell to the Japanese. He knows they're fake as gently caress, the japanese buyers probably suspect as much, but it's somehow real as well. I think there's a part where he realizes this thing he thought was manufaked was legit all along, which ties into the conception of a Prime or Real reality.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FilthyImp posted:

People here think the Berenstein/stain Bears thing is proof that they echoed into a parallel world and poo poo

I had to look this up and now I don't know what to think :psyduck:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

People here think the Berenstein/stain Bears thing is proof that they echoed into a parallel world and poo poo,

Uh yeah we're the alternate parallel world, we got a black president, then to really hammer in how fake reality is we got an orange one.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why would you recommend Scalzi to someone? Do you hate people that much?

That's not entirely fair. Old Man's War is a decent read, and the second book in the series...
well the third book is a direct sequel to the first book.
And if you liked those then the fourth book is literally the third book again, only from like three feet to the left.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Wrath of Khan is now available on Google Play in 4k. This would be the Director's cut from the new master that Nick Mayer oversaw and was released on 1080p blu-ray earlier this summer. I had some discounts for Google Play so I decided to pick it up. There's no HDR on Google Play stuff (at least not yet, it's possibly comming), so that's a little bit of a disappointment. But it is wide color gamut and a true 4k source.

It's noticeably more detailed than the blu-ray that was released this summer and even to my color blind eyes, I'm seeing much more subtle color shading and nuance.

I'm still hoping Paramount will put the 4k HDR version out on disc sometime in the near future, but this will tide me over nicely. It's like watching the movie for the first time again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

8one6 posted:

That's not entirely fair. Old Man's War is a decent read, and the second book in the series...
well the third book is a direct sequel to the first book.
And if you liked those then the fourth book is literally the third book again, only from like three feet to the left.

Yeah, OMW was pretty good. But the others were increasingly worse, I couldn't even finish Zoe's Story. He's also a prick on his blog, even to people who agree with him, which was the last straw for me.

For some reason, his daughter comes up on my Facebook "people you may know" which is really weird.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, OMW was pretty good. But the others were increasingly worse, I couldn't even finish Zoe's Story. He's also a prick on his blog, even to people who agree with him, which was the last straw for me.

Yeah, he's shaping up to be this generation's rotten prick sci-fi writer.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really like Sisko interacting with Jem'Hadars or Vortas; he really understands them. He knows not to eat the poo poo Weyoon or and other Vorta is shoveling, and he almost breaks through the conditioning with the Jem'Hadar.

Something subtle I like is that even with the most generic enemies, they are still shown as individuals. I also like how sometimes some humor shows through in the Jem'Hadar; "How old are you?" "i've lived 7 life times" "you don't look it".

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think the phrase she used was that she stopped counting at 300

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In my DS9 watch, I finally got to Weyoun! He's really great! And then he died...? :confused:

8one6
May 20, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

In my DS9 watch, I finally got to Weyoun! He's really great! And then he died...? :confused:

I have good news and great news...

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Love this

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

Get used to it :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's one of the flaws of the Weyouns.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I finally got to the episode that inspired our thread title in my TNG watch-through and what a stinker. Worse than any season one episode for sure.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

I finally got to the episode that inspired our thread title in my TNG watch-through and what a stinker. Worse than any season one episode for sure.

It's the profit and lace of TNG, but somehow worse because it takes itself so seriously.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I remember liking that episode because I was 11, without the internet, and here's a redhead writhing around on TV in ways that I liked and wasn't really sure why.

The thing is, I think it could've been a decent episode. A life form that had attached itself to a family for generations, to the point of inherently loving each of them, and them loving it back? Is it right to deny it such an existence, when both are happy?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phimosissy posted:

It's the profit and lace of TNG, but somehow worse because it takes itself so seriously.

Siddig, who directed Profit & Lace, totally did want it to be dark and serious.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

MisterBibs posted:

I remember liking that episode because I was 11, without the internet, and here's a redhead writhing around on TV in ways that I liked and wasn't really sure why.

The thing is, I think it could've been a decent episode. A life form that had attached itself to a family for generations, to the point of inherently loving each of them, and them loving it back? Is it right to deny it such an existence, when both are happy?

Don't go getting all Prime Directive up in here now... Seriously though, it was creepy as portrayed.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm glad that is one of two episodes that I honestly can't remember much about despite having watched the series repeatedly for like 25 years. The other one is "Masks", which I honestly couldn't tell you the first thing about other than the weird mesoamerican themed grotto in the ready room. poo poo, I've even watched through and can recall poo poo like Aquiel.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Aquiel is the one where Geordi falls in love with a girl by creeping her livejournal and then some chocolate pudding attacks him in the end right?

e: the pudding is also a dog

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not even a livejournal, it's her personal vlog that she never uploads.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

GutBomb posted:

"Sub Rosa" is the loving worst. Worse than anything in S1 of TNG. Worse than anything in Voyager. Way worse than "Profit and Lace." There's so much to hate, but the ending is what kills me.

"Well, at least my grandmother was happy." :wink:

No she loving wasn't, Beverly. She was enslaved by Rape Ghost Coast to Coast for thirty years. UGH

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Railing Kill posted:

"Sub Rosa" is the loving worst. Worse than anything in S1 of TNG.

I dunno, Code of Honor gives Sub Rosa a real run for its money.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pakled posted:

I dunno, Code of Honor gives Sub Rosa a real run for its money.

Code of Honor would have been just a run-of-the-mill bad S1 episode if not for a catacysmically stupid decision on how to cast the aliens...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Met posted:

I think the phrase she used was that she stopped counting at 300

The idea is the same, but I cannot believe the Jem'Hadar was not trying to make a joke there.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Aquiel is the one where Geordi falls in love with a girl by creeping her

Can you narrow that down a bit?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Astroman posted:

Can you narrow that down a bit?

The one with the doggo.

And that episode is good for one thing, showing that there are poo poo assignments in the Federation. Stuck on a small station with one other person monitoring transmissions. Yea you get a pretty nice room, but there's not much else going on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Candle ghost is great, it's an entertainingly bad episode. Molly trapped in the future or something is my official worst episode of any trek. It's just painfully boring, there's nothing to talk about, no memorable quotes, no hot red heads getting ghost fingered on TV.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This is interesting:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...ceId=PLGoP62464

Lance Parkin, yes that Lance Parkin, has written a bio of Gene Roddenberry. I wonder if it is more of the hagiographic "Great Bird of the Galaxy" bio or a hatchet job that says "Gene Roddenberry is the worst thing that happened to Star Trek."

I'd love one that walks down the middle.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

I'd love one that walks down the middle.

I think Inside Star Trek does this fairly well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

The Candle ghost is great, it's an entertainingly bad episode. Molly trapped in the future or something is my official worst episode of any trek. It's just painfully boring, there's nothing to talk about, no memorable quotes, no hot red heads getting ghost fingered on TV.

Oh god I hate that episode. It's just painful in every single way. Sub Rosa is spookaly good bad.

So those long vests Klingons wear, what do you think they keep in the pockets? My guess, sunflower seeds. Also O'brien's Altair Sandwich looks great. I imagine its on a sour dough roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I haven't watched "Sub Rosa" in years but I recently re-watched "Meridian" and it took me four attempts to finally slog through the thing.