Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

triple sulk posted:

https://www.jetbrains.com/go/

maybe go will be halfway usable now

lmao at naming. 'gland' is pretty much the tip of the penis (glans) in French. Enjoy your go gland IDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Vanadium posted:

It makes sense that there's no situation where you absolutely require them

i mean, strictly speaking all you require is an infinite tape and a set of rewrite rules

MononcQc posted:

lmao at naming. 'gland' is pretty much the tip of the penis (glans) in French. Enjoy your go gland IDE

its a good name, given its a language designed by a bellend

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MononcQc posted:

"gland" is also sometimes used as slang for penis in english. usually when somebody wants to rhyme it with "hand"

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Asymmetrikon posted:

i mean, strictly speaking all you require is an infinite tape and a set of rewrite rules
Most of my code doesn't event need infinite tape. :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

JewKiller 3000 posted:

aren't you the moron who likes go

i have never used go

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MononcQc posted:

its called the glans in english too. "glans penis" is the scientific name for it so its all actually latin anyway.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

at last go will finally have compile time tip safety

Weekend Bridges
Apr 8, 2015

by Smythe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

its called the glans in english too. "glans penis" is the scientific name for it so its all actually latin anyway.

in french it's gland

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
what makes a language boring anyway. I enjoy using java since it does everything u need and has great tooling

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Vanadium posted:

ADTs + pattern matching are just switch statements for things that aren't integers already, and with a lot less boilerplate in nontrivial cases. It makes sense that there's no situation where you absolutely require them, but they make some things so convenient, they shift the incentives towards being more structured and cleanly representing previously-implicit state and before you know there's pattern matching all over your code and you're loving it.

java already has switch statements for things that aren't integers (enums and strings). pattern matching is better than that.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
holy poo poo is the default indent level for go like, a million spaces or something.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

leftist heap posted:

holy poo poo is the default indent level for go like, a million spaces or something.
it indents with tabs

as it should

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
sup does anyone use julia for anything since i am 100% done w/ loving around w/ python for numerics

and matlab sux donkey dick too

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it indents with tabs

as it should

I indent with tabs, but I set my tab width to be one. Also often I will make one indentation "level" be multiple tabs. Also I remapped my tab key to spacebar.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

java is actually cool and good. c# may be better but then you're a windows programmer and lol talk about a career limiting move

c# and windows is so much better than linux and anything.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

netcat posted:

what makes a language boring anyway. I enjoy using java since it does everything u need and has great tooling

that's exactly why it is boring

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VikingofRock posted:

I indent with tabs, but I set my tab width to be one. Also often I will make one indentation "level" be multiple tabs. Also I remapped my tab key to spacebar.

there's something truly glorious about a nice segment of idiomatic, gofmt'd Go code displayed in the Go font in an editor with tab width set to 8. Especially if you're using a retina display.

it has to be experienced to be believed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i don't want to spend my time making the tools work so java and c# are the best.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

i don't want to spend my time making the tools work

you don't want to go into management?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

that's exactly why it is boring

i enjoy programming for its own sake, i don't particularly care about my programs doing things. the fact that my programs must do things is merely an inconvenient necessity.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i enjoy programming for its own sake, i don't particularly care about my programs doing things. the fact that my programs must do things is merely an inconvenient necessity.

I recommend haskell for that use case

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

there's something truly glorious about a nice segment of idiomatic, gofmt'd Go code displayed in the Go font in an editor with tab width set to 8. Especially if you're using a retina display.

i have decided the name for your kind is gomosexual

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i have decided the name for your kind is gomosexual

gotosexual please

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

I recommend haskell for that use case

rust is filling that need for me

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

rust is filling that need for me

rust is very need suiting

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

gotosexual please

at least LMO's software can handle this preference :unsmith:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it actually looks like poo poo, and the feeling you're experiencing is freedom from having to care about that since it's not your problem

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i can't really recall the last time i had a "C" problem of the type that rust doesn't permit, like I had a really early one that was trivially caught in review

also this: https://underhanded.rs/blog/2016/12/15/underhanded-rust.en-US.html

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
eh, these underhanded things work better when the challenge is flexible enough to allow people to be really creative in how they stretch the language. requiring the outcome to be something that specific is going to reduce participation in something that's already a niche interest within a niche within a niche

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the last underhanded c i read about was the nuclear safety one, which seems more specific than a payment processor

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the underhanded contests Ive seen have all been wildly niche ya

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Malcolm XML posted:

sup does anyone use julia for anything since i am 100% done w/ loving around w/ python for numerics

and matlab sux donkey dick too

No, but it does look nice and I did read recently there was more interest in it somewhere. It has JSON, data frames, and HTTP, so easy to connect to anything.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i played around with julia a year or so back. seems like it might be nice once someone competent takes it over

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

julia is cool except for all the wildly broken poo poo and complete absence of ecosystem

I am not sure if either of these issues have been addressed in the three years since I last touched it but I'm not super optimistic

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

JawnV6 posted:

i can't really recall the last time i had a "C" problem of the type that rust doesn't permit, like I had a really early one that was trivially caught in review

also this: https://underhanded.rs/blog/2016/12/15/underhanded-rust.en-US.html

i'm going to be trying this. if i can't think of anything better, there's always #[feature(non_ascii_idents)]

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

the last underhanded c i read about was the nuclear safety one, which seems more specific than a payment processor

i was mostly thinking of the first underhanded c contest, which was just an image processor where you had to add some kind of fingerprint to the image but it could be anything, so you had all the possible methods of leaking information at your disposal. i guess they got more specific with time

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

i am 100% done w/ loving around w/ python for numerics

whys that

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Xarn posted:

Prolog owns.

hi buddy

WINNINGHARD