Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think anyone is obligated to like any game but it's frustrating when every time Doom 4 comes up it's met with "But did you know it's (complete insane exaggeration of its every flaw), guess you're all just a bunch of nerds who like overhyped poo poo!!" which seems to be the trend lately.

its always trendy to tell the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish someone would make a proper Doom sequel with no vertical aiming or jumping.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Another thing DOOM got right was giving you an appropriate amount of health. Wolfenstein: TNO is a cool game but I really wasn't into how fragile BJ was, and how much picking up ammo and health killed momentum.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ostentatious posted:

isn't it the same one but the n64 one had worse graphics

i dunno at all but on the n64 you can use a controller in each hand to control the engines seperately

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Don't pro gamers have to retire at like 27 because their reaction times get dulled just a hair and they can't keep up with the new generation? I think one of the oldest players is 30. What do you do once you retire from pro gaming? It seems like a profession where you get picked up by a sponser in your teens and I don't think getting a degree is something your coach cares about. So you start pushing 30 and you're off the team, hopefully with a nest egg. What then? Coach? Commentate? Commercials? There's got to be scores of washed up gamers working at local grocery stores by now, forever reliving the gank that lost them the championship and sent him back to Ashtabula.

A lot of them can continue to have good revenue via twitch. And for the se asians and eastern europeans, they can retire after like two tournaments due to the exchange rates.

In Training posted:

There's a neat game hidden in there but it needed a lot more work IMO. Or someone to mod it and make it more interesting.

As an aside how possible is that? Could I make the really really cool Doom I think is partially in that new game?

Remake it as a wad for og doom.

boy are my arms tired posted:

all this dota talk is making me kind of want to load it back up

shameful on my part, sorry

Read the patch notes and laugh, its more fun than playing since maybe 20% of players read the patch notes games are stupid right now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

plz dont pull out posted:

Another thing DOOM got right was giving you an appropriate amount of health. Wolfenstein: TNO is a cool game but I really wasn't into how fragile BJ was, and how much picking up ammo and health killed momentum.

i didn't mind the health that much outside of the boss fights where, like the one in the flaming room against the mecha nazi with rockets, it was a little too easy to just eat poo poo imo. but yeah i loving hated how they put dinhonored/skyrim style item collection in the game. for collectables like gold its fine but there's no reason they should have done it for health and ammo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

And again then are less than 10 minutes total of the entire game, at worst, and pointing at them as anything more than a minor flaw involves such an absurd level of hyperbole that it is cartoonish.

I think the point of making such complaints is to say that the praise the game received for its bravery in providing a lack of story just isn't true. Doom 4 has a story, and it's a lovely one, but the fact it's relatively ignorable because it doesn't take up much of your time doesn't excuse that.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

i didn't mind the health that much outside of the boss fights where, like the one in the flaming room against the mecha nazi with rockets, it was a little too easy to just eat poo poo imo. but yeah i loving hated how they put dinhonored/skyrim style item collection in the game. for collectables like gold its fine but there's no reason they should have done it for health and ammo.

I wanted to be a powersliding dual shotgun toting badass but I felt like I was getting shredded too easily. Doom avoids this by making you fairly tough and giving you health by getting in the middle of fights, and Titanfall 2 gives you enough mobility options that you can evade much more easily. Wolfenstein by comparison felt like I had to play it more like Half Life 2. Could absorb more shots than CoD but still had to use cover quite a bit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As lame as some parts of the new Doom are, thank you for reminding me its not anywhere near as bad as that wolfenstein game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

congrats to goty Hitman, a game so good it came out multiple times this year

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Do you have to stop and pick up health by pressing a button in Wolfenstein? I generally feel like health and ammo pickups would be fine in that game but if you have to stop moving and look at them to pick them up I feel like that'd be a terrible momentum-killer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

This but Fire Emblem Fates

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

This but Fire Emblem Fates

:yeah: That game owns really hard. Its story is complete bullshit but Conquest's maps were so drat good I didn't give a poo poo. Conquest/Hard/Classic with no deaths was so goddamn satisfying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I think the point of making such complaints is to say that the praise the game received for its bravery in providing a lack of story just isn't true. Doom 4 has a story, and it's a lovely one, but the fact it's relatively ignorable because it doesn't take up much of your time doesn't excuse that.

People who are praising the game for that are not saying "it is literally a game without any storyline at all." It is a game with, again, about 10 minutes tops of 'forced cutscenes', something most modern shooters would quadruple in the first level alone. It is a game where the plot is 'You are doom guy, shoot the bad monsters, also there is a robot man who says things to you." The egregious scene that keeps getting brought up is the office scene and that is because that is the only scene that drew most people out of the game.

As far as the plot being lovely? Eh. Again, most of the praise I see is that it's straightforward, not non-existent. You are the scary guy who punches Hell. That is all people really wanted from Doom and that is what it provided.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

Do you have to stop and pick up health by pressing a button in Wolfenstein? I generally feel like health and ammo pickups would be fine in that game but if you have to stop moving and look at them to pick them up I feel like that'd be a terrible momentum-killer.

Yes, same for ammo and armor. Don't know why they thought spending a minute after every firefight picking up assault rifles was a good idea. Also charging electricity weapons sucks too.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

i dunno at all but on the n64 you can use a controller in each hand to control the engines seperately

holy poo poo

you actually just made me plug in my n64 and do this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yes, same for ammo and armor. Don't know why they thought spending a minute after every firefight picking up assault rifles was a good idea. Also charging electricity weapons sucks too.

That's a pretty boneheaded decision for a game that otherwise seems to be all about high-octane firefights and dual-wielding shotguns. I'm glad DOOM just lets you walk over health, armor, and ammo to get them.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

I'm a couple of episodes behind did they ever hire more than 3 npc voice actors

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

you actually just made me plug in my n64 and do this

Works for goldeneye as well

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I already knew that but Goldeneye sucks

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

As lame as some parts of the new Doom are, thank you for reminding me its not anywhere near as bad as that wolfenstein game

:catstare:

Wolf:TNO was great. I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but you might not have a soul.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

That's a pretty boneheaded decision for a game that otherwise seems to be all about high-octane firefights and dual-wielding shotguns. I'm glad DOOM just lets you walk over health, armor, and ammo to get them.

Yeah, thinking about it I'd might say Syndicate is a better Starbreeze/Machine Games FPS than Wolfenstein, though it's been a while since I played it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i enjoyed wolfenstein for its pacing and really sweet set pieces more than doom but i could see it the other way too if you just really fell in love with the grand tale of samuel hayden, lord of boring art direction planet.

both games are fun shooters though not trying to take that away. don't want to be too trendy.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The logs you can find in hell where they talk about the legend of the Doom Guy and how all the demons are scared of him were really cool and funny. I wish the rest of the game matched that tone a little more because outside of the intro when you pop out of the coffin I never really felt like that

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While I'm happy that we get more gaming documentaries I wasn't particualrly impressed by the one with Doom. Especially the first part where they're going "yeah Doom 3 was amazing also Rage's megatexture technology was mindblowing" like none of the problems with those games were known by now and we went back in time shortly before the releases and they're serving their marketing pitch. I don't know if the documenatry's authors had to sign an NDA not to say anything bad about an id game in order to even get an interview with them but it was a bit off-putting. I liked when they started actually talking about the game's design without trying to sell me id games although again because of the first part I didn't know how much of the stuff was made up. I like those GDC post-mortems more because the authors are at least honest about the problems with their games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dewgy posted:

:catstare:

Wolf:TNO was great. I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but you might not have a soul.

Goons instinctively hate good and popular games because they are the antithesis to those values.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

probably would have turned the documentary off the moment they said "doom 3 was amazing"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i felt the doom doc was a little too clinical and dry in its editing and presentation. i would have liked some doom sounding music instead of the soft ambient music he played through the whole thing for sure

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

While I'm happy that we get more gaming documentaries I wasn't particualrly impressed by the one with Doom. Especially the first part where they're going "yeah Doom 3 was amazing also Rage's megatexture technology was mindblowing" like none of the problems with those games were known by now and we went back in time shortly before the releases and they're serving their marketing pitch. I don't know if the documenatry's authors had to sign an NDA not to say anything bad about an id game in order to even get an interview with them but it was a bit off-putting. I liked when they started actually talking about the game's design without trying to sell me id games although again because of the first part I didn't know how much of the stuff was made up. I like those GDC post-mortems more because the authors are at least honest about the problems with their games.

The part where the guy is trying really really hard not to insult Doom 3 when he's giving the example of how they changed pinkies made made me feel weird.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yeah, thinking about it I'd might say Syndicate is a better Starbreeze/Machine Games FPS than Wolfenstein, though it's been a while since I played it.

gently caress yeah, Syndicate is my #1fps ive ever played. Everything in that game is fast and fluid, whether it's running, sliding, shooting, or using your weird augment powers. Even the music is hype and cutscene are either actiony or just quick.

Harrow posted:

Wolfenstein:TNO is about a former neo-nazi realizing real nazis are bad and killing them all with throwing knives. I literally only used guns for the robots and bosses which is why those enemies were loving stupid. Let me pry open that robo brain with my knife. Let me kill the final boss with a knife to the skull through his wide open cockpit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ostentatious posted:

probably would have turned the documentary off the moment they said "doom 3 was amazing"
You should have seen the awkward interviews where the id guys try not to say that the cancelled Doom 4 project was bad. I mean, they cancelled it themselves because it was bad as they basically made a CoD game with brown textures and called it Doom 4 but they're biting their tongues like they can't say it because Carmack will hunt them down or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

id dev: Well, it wasn't really Doom you know.

*something that looks like a sewer level from Rage is being shown*

id dev: I mean, you had to play for a while to even get to the monsters, the game started with you killing lots of zombies.

*footage of a guy in hoodie with glowing eyes*

id dev: It was also cool with the poppoing in and out of cover to shoot but...it wasn't Doom. ALSO JUST TO BE CLEAR I'M NOT CIRITICIZING DOOM IN ANY WAY HERE I THINK IT WAS GREAT, IT JUST WASN'T WHAT FANS WOULD WANT, PLEASE DON'T FIRE ME BETHESDA.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

feel like playing an armored core game on my old 360. which is the best out of
4A
VD

or maybe front mission evolved? i heard they turned that series into an ac clone.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 16, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

It was way more restrained than the Rocket League doc, probably because id and Bethesda are such larger companies with more at stake in the public eye. The Rocket League guys were way more interesting to listen to because of how public their failures were and how open they were about their history

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was also weird when they were like "We have the Quakecon footage if you finally wanna show it off" and its like 2 seconds long of a crowd going nuts at something off screen. And they cop to the fact that most of the crowd was people who worked on the game, basically planting their own reception.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mordja posted:

Goons instinctively hate good and popular games because they are the antithesis to those values.

There's lots of good popular games but theyre all japanese

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

feel like playing an armored core game on my old 360. which is the best out of
4A

or maybe front mission evolved? i heard they turned that series into an ac clone.

Front mission evolved is just a third person shooter disguised as a mech game. I didn't hate it but it's not really anything like an AC game. Like you maybe choose a weapon in each hand and then one backpack item? It's been a while.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

Front mission evolved is just a third person shooter disguised as a mech game. I didn't hate it but it's not really anything like an AC game. Like you maybe choose a weapon in each hand and then one backpack item? It's been a while.

oh ok. weird
poor fm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is there really no h1z1 thread? I just started playing and it's kinda fun.

• Locked thread