Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

mariooncrack posted:

I strongly suggest using a password manager if you're not already.

I couldn't find a yahoo account with their recovery methods so I guess I got spam earlier with valid information and no suspicious links? :iiam:

This is rampant right now - if you get an email that contains a link, it's a scam

I'm not worried about my former accounts - I honestly forgot I had them and they contained absolutely nothing of even remote value within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Another thing to be worried about, Amazon's security is garbage. My girlfriend changed her associated email and she was later hacked but since the card was expired nothing came of it. But she was unable to recover her account. I registered my Amazon account with my yahoo email back in 2002 and despite numerous breach attempts I have always gotten control back because I still have that original yahoo account dating back 14 years. I've read of similar incidents where people have lost access to their AP accounts after a email change and a hack.

See hearing poo poo like that is the main reason I'm still using my gently caress-ancient AOL account that I've had since 1996 (I was 8) - I've used it for so much poo poo I worry about losing access.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

Update: I finally made my car semi-drivable. I mean, sideways is driving? Right?

Although with the big tires it does make a pretty good offroader.

Now they just need to combine this with the mud physics from Spintires and we'll be having a lot of fun.

The Beemer-analog up to it's windows in muck really sells that pic.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm on an HMO with a company that primarily handles Medicaid in my state. Absolutely nothing is covered out of network, except for emergency room visits (but hospital stays are not unless in-network). Supposedly urgent care places are covered even if not in network, but I haven't looked into if I have to pay them up front and get reimbursed, or if they handle it for me.

e: I just looked at their formulary trying to figure out why my cholesterol medication isn't covered (retail for it is $135 for generic, and it's a medication that came out in 1975! - Goodrx.com found a coupon that brings it down to $32, but preferred generics are $2/mo w/insurance). Turns out it is covered... in every dosage available except the one I'm on. :wtc: Hopefully my cholesterol is down enough that I can either get off of it or lower my dosage. If it's not, the next higher dosage is only an extra 15 mg (I'm on 140mg now).

that's where you get your PCP to either adjust the dosage, or prescribe 2x of half the dosage. Mine will look at what's on formulary for my insurance, and adjust as needed, which is nice. Insurance formularies are stupid.

BraveUlysses posted:

Hmm i thought i specifically seeing something that it would not be available again? (maybe that was just the associated flickr account?)

My concern is that AT&T uses Yahoo as their email provider (SMTP, POP, etc.) Not sure yet if that's something I should worry about.
Going to Charter/Spectrum anyway, but...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

See hearing poo poo like that is the main reason I'm still using my gently caress-ancient AOL account that I've had since 1996 (I was 8) - I've used it for so much poo poo I worry about losing access.

I buy SO MUCH poo poo through Amazon that I don't want to risk it. I've been going over every major thing I access online to be certain I have it switched to my gmail these days but Amazon is the holdout for yahoo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can change your Amazon email though?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

Hmm i thought i specifically seeing something that it would not be available again? (maybe that was just the associated flickr account?)

Explicitly the opposite. From way back in 2013: https://www.cnet.com/news/can-yahoo-recycle-your-username-and-protect-your-data/

Current policy stands, from user reports. People thinking they're getting lucky with "John.Smith.87@yahoo.com" and getting password reset emails for the original's accounts.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I've either changed email address or started new accounts and am using my Gmail account for everything. 2FA, secondary gmail account as recovery, also with 2FA.
I'll still (likely) get hosed, but hopefully not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well, this likely hosed the Verizon purchase of Yahoo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

You can change your Amazon email though?

That's where the problems start, if it changes once Amazon doesn't seem to give a gently caress if it changes again. We went back and forth with them for two weeks over my girlfriend's hacked account. Each time it's happened to me I've been like "Same email since 1999, same phone number since 2004" and they fix it right away.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Jesus gently caress this year can't end soon enough -

Sheriff's deputy stopped ahead of me on a two lane road to talk to someone walking on the shoulder just over a hill. 20-something in a late model Fusion didn't see us stopped (had to be texting or at least glued to her phone) and slammed into the left corner of the rear bumper at least doing 40. Rear bumper all but fell off, rear quarter panel is hosed and the trunk is pushed in, likely going to be written off. NADA puts its value at $5800 so hoping they give me enough to pay off the loan & then some - currently owe about a thousand less than its worth.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mazda curse strikes again!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It might be time to give you my username. jesus gently caress dude.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Geoj posted:

Jesus gently caress this year can't end soon enough -

Sheriff's deputy stopped ahead of me on a two lane road to talk to someone walking on the shoulder just over a hill. 20-something in a late model Fusion didn't see us stopped (had to be texting or at least glued to her phone) and slammed into the left corner of the rear bumper at least doing 40. Rear bumper all but fell off, rear quarter panel is hosed and the trunk is pushed in, likely going to be written off. NADA puts its value at $5800 so hoping they give me enough to pay off the loan & then some - currently owe about a thousand less than its worth.

Your nice 6 gets hosed up and I can only dream of the day someone rear-ends me and I can be freed from mine. Sucks man, but hey, if it does get written off, there's a few parts...

I found red snow on the ground under her earlier. The cool thing is I just put a bunch of red fluid in it after doing the thermostat and Mister Transmission just put a bunch of red fluid in it after repairing the transmission leaks. The simple test here is to taste it, if it tastes sweet, coolant, if it tastes like the unfathomable suffering of an orphaned kindergartener, atf, but it is my understanding that putting either of those in my mouth is a very bad idea.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not necessarily true. Coolant almost always has bitterant in it these days and its drat hard to find the tasty coolant. I'd put ATF in my mouth any day

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Finally got the "repair" pieces for our potentially explosive samsung washer.

This is all the repair parts they sent.

sticker number 1.

stickers number 2 and 3. One of which re-locates the word "bedding" over to "delicates" and re-names the "bedding" setting to Denim/jeans.

"safety is our top priority, therefore here are some stickers, good luck!"

they're going to get their rear end in a top hat hosed inside out by the class action suit.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Not necessarily true. Coolant almost always has bitterant in it these days and its drat hard to find the tasty coolant. I'd put ATF in my mouth any day

2km of driving after replacing the thermostat and all the fluid the radiator would take during 15 minutes of running before that, I had to pull over and put more coolant in it and naturally this meant taking off the radiator cap.

For about 2 minutes it chugged and geysered coolant. I figured out how to avoid getting hit in the face after the first time.

The point of this story?

It was sweet, no bitterant that I could detect.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

Finally got the "repair" pieces for our potentially explosive samsung washer.

This is all the repair parts they sent.

sticker number 1.

stickers number 2 and 3. One of which re-locates the word "bedding" over to "delicates" and re-names the "bedding" setting to Denim/jeans.

"safety is our top priority, therefore here are some stickers, good luck!"

they're going to get their rear end in a top hat hosed inside out by the class action suit.

Wow, gently caress Samsung.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

2km of driving after replacing the thermostat and all the fluid the radiator would take during 15 minutes of running before that, I had to pull over and put more coolant in it and naturally this meant taking off the radiator cap.

For about 2 minutes it chugged and geysered coolant. I figured out how to avoid getting hit in the face after the first time.

The point of this story?

It was sweet, no bitterant that I could detect.

Pls tell me what brand as I sample every coolant I come across

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Like seriously there's not an automotive fluid type out there I haven ingested at some point. Gasoline was easily the worst

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Prestone Dex-Cool. Comes in a yellow bottle, looks kinda orange-red.

I mean, dear god I hope I've put the right coolant in it. Ford used the same engine and the coolant they used is apparently Ford's version of Dex-Cool and the difference is it's red instead of orange-red and the internet told me it's okay. :ohdear:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Welp time to go coolant sampling again

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also dex cool is horrible and you should feel bad

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I use whatever concentrate I can find. No issues.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Samsung is a blacklisted brand for me now.

Well I managed to get about 28MPG when it was 15°F. It seems like my car's fuel efficiency trends downwards be colder it gets. Which sorta' makes sense and I heard that it's a bit worse for hybrids.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Like seriously there's not an automotive fluid type out there I haven ingested at some point. Gasoline was easily the worst

Can't that make you go blind?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

Well I managed to get about 28MPG when it was 15°F. It seems like my car's fuel efficiency trends downwards be colder it gets. Which sorta' makes sense and I heard that it's a bit worse for hybrids.

Yes. If your engine is cold and you are driving it cold, your efficiency suffers due to some of the heat being absorbed by the cold engine block. It also limits fuel injector spray efficiency.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Three-Phase posted:

Can't that make you go blind?

Supposedly masterbation does too, but I can see *squints* just *puts on glasses* fine.

Hm.. maybe that's why I started wearing glasses at 14.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

14 BAR RIFF posted:

It's not the worst out there.

I was laying under my truck doing the diff, and i opened the cap on the ford friction modifier and it was still sealed with plastic. Being a lazy oval office, i figured i would just bite the tip off the bottle and dump it in.

That was like 3 years ago, i can still taste it.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wow, gently caress Samsung.

gently caress samsung forever.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Three-Phase posted:

Samsung is a blacklisted brand for me now.

Check the tire pressure and consider a grill block if it's like the Prius. Warm weather I can do 50+mpg on the highway, cold (like 15f) it's lucky to break 40 with the grill blocked. Maybe 35ish without. It's gone as low as 29 with low tire pressure, cold air, wind and mountains.

It's more than just the engine block with a hybrid. They rely on being able to shut the engine down at times to make the MPG figures they quote. Between keeping the interior warm and keeping the catalyst warm on a cold, cold day they will never shut off.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am willing to sacrifice 5MPG for a toasty warm car.

Ugh and it's gonna be 10°F in the morning tomorrow... :gonk:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Also dex cool is horrible and you should feel bad

Oh, I know it's terrible, but I didn't want to flush and put in the only other coolant I had on hand.

How do gas engines take to diesel engine coolant anyways?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

I am willing to sacrifice 5MPG for a toasty warm car.

Ugh and it's gonna be 10°F in the morning tomorrow... :gonk:

Weekend forecasts a low of -30°F, with wind chill feeling -42° :suicide:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Best tasting automotive fluid is battery acid. Tangy lemon/citrus taste. Shame it would horrificly murder me if I drank a glass. :v:

Edit: 14, your destination has lows in the mid to upper 60s, highs in the low eightys/low seventies. Get down here!

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 16, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Diesel is a tolerable fluid.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fermented Tinal posted:

Oh, I know it's terrible, but I didn't want to flush and put in the only other coolant I had on hand.

How do gas engines take to diesel engine coolant anyways?

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. Going the other way around might bring you trouble though due to additives packages against cavitation.

I run regular green in the truck (for now) with a SCA additive. the bus has ELC fleetgard with SCA in it plus a filter that keeps it charged. The shits pretty loving spendy, and it likes to leak~8 gallons a year due to an old super hard to find coolant pump.

Old brakefluid is the worst in taste. Old gear oil is the worst in smell.

CommieGIR posted:

Diesel is a tolerable fluid.

Confirm. I rather like the smell of burnt diesel too. but I'm broken as gently caress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Confirm. I rather like the smell of burnt diesel too. but I'm broken as gently caress.

I've been having to drive the Jetta lately due to a burst hose for the power steering on the 90. I love my diesel engine, but that thing is starting to fall apart body wise.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I've been having to drive the Jetta lately due to a burst hose for the power steering on the 90. I love my diesel engine, but that thing is starting to fall apart body wise.

Come here and get another. sofas plenty big and theres a garage to nurse a junker back to health.

I'm always on various stages of love/hate with the IDI.

That piece of shitboatanchor motor brings me back 20 years, but goddammit its engineering inadequacies drive me bonkers.

VVV: add some whiskey to that milkshake you gently caress.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Wow, what a drive I just had.

Decide to go to late showing of Rogue One, figuring since the side streets are all bad nobody will be there and I'll be able to be all creepy towards the 6 or 7 other brave souls who made it in to watch.

Before I even get outside I hear a car in distress, having gotten caught in the deep snow that still encrusts my street. It's my neighbour across the street, with his recently-purchased 2012 altima, with the bald-rear end allseasons it came with spinning happily. I started my car so it could heat up and with some effort (he's not the best driver), manage to help him out and he gets going. I brushed off my car, put my shovel away, and hopped in with the distant hope that I would get to see a butcheredDisneyTM story from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Except I guess this gold 2012 nissan altima decided it wanted to make snow angels at the end of the street, a mere 15' from the intersection. It must have really been in the Christmas spirit too because it was making all sorts of sounds and white, blue, and black smoke issued forth from the tailpipe in rapid succession as the car lurched back and forth. I sigh bitterly, curse my neighbour, stop, put on my 4-ways, and within a minute or so managed to get him on the road, in the opposite direction he wanted to be in. He drove off without so much as a thank you, what-loving-ever.

Meanwhile my car's traction control didn't even bother to blink its light to tell me how utterly worthless it is as I navigated the same (now torn-the-gently caress-up) glacier that was once a road.

I don't even bother looking at my phone, certain it's 10:45 or later and that right now some hot actress chick who's name I don't actually know off-hand does awesome things and star wars and boobies and man I was gonna smoke this fat joint too...

Drive was uneventful, get to the theatre, pop out my phone, ten, thirty-loving-four, hallelujah! Looks like it's open because there's like 50 cars in the lot and Giant Tiger isn't open this late so-

Door's locked. Two teenagers barely even looked up to grace me with a 0-fucks-given-what-are-you-gonna-do-about-it before going back to their phones. Yeah, gently caress you too.

Now, as any goon, who just missed out on MAH STAR WARS, and having been totally burned by those shitlord teens, my wounds needed licking. Preferably with Sweet and Sour sauce with McNuggets because hey, I know they're not food but I love them anyways.

Somehow there's a lineup at the drive-thru despite the fact I hadn't seen another vehicle on the road at all, and the guy ahead of me, blocking the ordering terminal (the eat-in area closes at 10), with his loving hood up! No idea what it was for but once he noticed there were other people behind him he dropped the hood and went on his merry way.

Let's amp this up to 11, I ordered a milkshake to go with my mcnuggets, and large fries too please because I said meal. gently caress winter, gently caress the sixteen loving inches of snow I had to shovel and blow from two 12'x60' driveways, I'm having liquid ice cream.

Get back on my street, neighbour is once again stuck, right in front of my driveway. I once again implore to him the utilitarian reasons for winter tires and also suggest that he take his unhappy-sounding and smelling car to a mechanic. Get him back in his driveway, he wants to shoot the poo poo after this so we do, meanwhile MAH MCDONALDS is getting cold/warm and I'm silently cursing his very existence.

Finally manage to make it inside, sit down, there's no fries in the bag but the receipt clearly says I paid for them, and now it's snowing so hard you can't see your hand in front of your face.

That's it, I've had it. I'm having me this goddamn loving milkshake if it is the last sane thing I do as an adult male and if anyone dares try to take this away from me I WILL loving END YOU!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Come here and get another. sofas plenty big and theres a garage to nurse a junker back to health.

I'm always on various stages of love/hate with the IDI.

That piece of shitboatanchor motor brings me back 20 years, but goddammit its engineering inadequacies drive me bonkers.

Gotta get a gooseneck trailer to carry around all these Audis.

And yeah, Direct Injection diesel are the best. IDIs are nice, but drat they cut out so much power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Gotta get a gooseneck trailer to carry around all these Audis.

And yeah, Direct Injection diesel are the best. IDIs are nice, but drat they cut out so much power.

get a rabbit pickup :D

Yeaaaah. Dunno if I'm ready for a $4000 kummins repower though. Esp when theres other awesome schoolie boatanchors like the DT466 out there for $lol$get$it$outta$my$yard$

It ain' comin out till the blockworm kills it (it wont) or it farts a half dozen rods (unlikely) or it eats a couple more oil coolers (likely)

• Locked thread