Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have no idea who any of these bands are. I've officially become too old for metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I have no idea who any of these bands are. I've officially become too old for metal.
Tell me about when In Flames was good, grandpa.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I think maybe I'm the only person on Earth who actually really liked Battles

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Rather slim pickings for my top albums of this year list, for a variety of reasons; I've been listening to a lot of non-metal, I've had some hard times so been less in the mood for music to begin with, I've had plenty of older stuff still in rotation and a few major bands' albums have been a bit disappointing. But here's a few that have left an impression, in no particular order:

• Running Wild - Rapid Foray: One of my last year's faves was Blazon Stone, who I lauded for carrying the Running Wild torch onwards. Well, it turns out Running Wild aren't giving the torch away that easily afterall.
  • Insomnium - Winter's Gate: The shortest 40 minute song I ever heard. I tend to be a bit cynical about such ambitious epics, but god drat this one works from start to finish.
  • Monument - Hair of the Dog: Still the best Iron Maiden worshipping trad metal band around. Strongest contender for my AOTY, probably.
  • Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika: Of all Moonsorrow albums, I feel like this has the best balance between rawness, polish, heaviness and catchiness. Not too meandering or overblown, but still epic enough to be Moonsorrow.
  • Flotsam and Jetsam - Flotsam and Jetsam: Great thrash metal on the lighter, more melodic end of the spectrum. Good production, good vocals, good hooks. Good album.
  • Oceans of Slumber - Winter: Absolutely beautiful melodic prog-death (or whatever).
  • Vader - The Empire: MOTHERFUCKING VADER MAN.

There are a few more albums I think were quite good, but either I haven't gotten around to listening to them that much or they didn't quite strike me as great enough to put on a albums of the year list. There's a point where a list goes from "best albums of the year" to "majority of albums that were good enough to listen to this year".

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

symbolic posted:

Tell me about when In Flames was good, grandpa.

I remember seeing them, Shadows Fall and Nevermore on tour in like...1999? 2000? :corsair:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I don't know most of those bands either, but that's not because I'm old (I'm not), but because I'm a filthy casual poser.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Moundgarden posted:

I think maybe I'm the only person on Earth who actually really liked Battles

Africastle is good! Haven't heard much else though.

If the rest is like that, then I'm sure i'll love their music.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I was talking about this year's In Flames album not.. whatever that is

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

I remember seeing them, Shadows Fall and Nevermore on tour in like...1999? 2000? :corsair:

I saw that tour also. Think it was for Colony.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

don't worry, it all sounds like the same stuff you've been listening to over and over for the past 20-30 years

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

a fleshy snood posted:

To contribute, I'm going to go ahead and award Dream Theater with the coveted Worst Album of 2016 award
Poor Mangini. It's like being hired to decorate the greatest luxury liner the world has ever known.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Oldstench posted:

I saw that tour also. Think it was for Colony.
The best IF album. :can:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I can't believe how bad the last several In Flames albums have been. Like holy gently caress bad.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

don't worry, it all sounds like the same stuff you've been listening to over and over for the past 20-30 years

Look at this hot fuckin' take.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I can't believe how bad the last several In Flames albums have been. Like holy gently caress bad.
I don't see how you can't believe anything, the whole band has been careening out of control towards new lows of awful for 15 years now

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Vulture Culture posted:

Poor Mangini. It's like being hired to decorate the greatest luxury liner the world has ever known.

Best part they named an album Dream Theater without Portnoy being on it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't see how you can't believe anything, the whole band has been careening out of control towards new lows of awful for 15 years now

Don't tell me what I can or can't believe. Listen to that poo poo and tell me you believe what you're hearing! You can't, can you?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Last IF album I liked was 10 years ago.

I really don't understand how they have a significant fanbase at this point. It's just so generic.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDhlmxQWd4

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The new Dream Theater has a ton of great ideas but it's really bloated and for me it doesn't always hit the right marks. I think it's cool as hell that they went through with it though and deep down saying bad things about Petrucci makes me feel wrong so yeah. It's alright in my 2016 realm.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-morbid-angel-members-david-vincent-and-tim-yeung-reunite-in-i-am-morbid/

:sad:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The Astonishing by Dream Theater is one of the most embarassing works of art ever created. It has a bad guy named Lord Nafaryus, and a map of its world which contains a location called "Fort Truth." On the other hand, I'm boring enough that the new Meshuggah is my album of the year so my opinions on music probably aren't worth much.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Astonishing by Dream Theater is one of the most embarassing works of art ever created. It has a bad guy named Lord Nafaryus, and a map of its world which contains a location called "Fort Truth." On the other hand, I'm boring enough that the new Meshuggah is my album of the year so my opinions on music probably aren't worth much.

Weren't they going to put out a series of books, comics, and games based on this retarded concept album?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Weren't they going to put out a series of books, comics, and games based on this retarded concept album?

They are putting out a novel for the low low price of $75.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Forgot about the video game. From the site:

quote:

Turbo Tape Games and Dream Theater are proud to announce the production of The Astonishing game, based on the concept album by the same name. The game will be released on PC, Mac, iOS and Android, in Q2 2016!

The game is based on the album’s story, setting, and characters, giving players an opportunity to further experience the world of Ravenskill and the G.N.E.A. while battling Empirical forces and securing man-made artistry’s place in the futuristic world set forth in the universe of The Astonishing. Tactical gameplay and a storyline that progresses with the player make this a can’t-miss experience for gamers and music fans alike. The game will share core gameplay mechanics with TTG’s critically acclaimed UHR: Warlords, with several enhancements for this new project. The game will be available as a free download for iOS, Android, PC and Mac expected in late April, 2016. - with a one-time fee to continue playing past the first two missions. The game features both single-player and multi-player pass-and-play same-device functionality.

Sounds amazing, can't wait for April 2016 to finally come.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Holy loly

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
"the world of Ravenskill"

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nafaryus is some real Star Wars prequels poo poo.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It's also just a different spelling of a world of warcraft boss who is coincentally also Lord Nefarius

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

leave this poo poo to Xanthochroid or Slugdge or Bal-Sagoth you turds

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Page back but FYI a lot of the youtube videos are of a rerelease that was sped up, the album isn't QUITE that fast, although its still a great album. It was put out again by someone else at its original speed. Vocals are a bit deeper as a result, speeding em up made em sound higher pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W05nCWtbj6w

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Crypt Sermon :stare:

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

quote:

Xanthochroid is a Cinematic black metal band formed in Lake Forest, California. The band was created around January 2005 and has since taken the metal scene by surprise, gaining international critical acclaim with their first two albums,[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14] as well as a growing fan base in the underground music community, with more than 2,600,000 views in their YouTube channel,[15] over 100,000 scrobblings in last fm,[16] and 20,000+ likes on their official Facebook page.[17]

holy gently caress. I wonder who wrote this article

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Flinger posted:

holy gently caress. I wonder who wrote this article
The answer is apparently "a nuclear physicist," going by their edit history

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
The keyboardist/clean vocalist is leaving Enslaved if you haven't heard. I'm bummed, loved those vocals.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Megadeth performed on Seth Meyers last night; as usual with late night tv, the mix sounded godawful:
http://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-seth-meyers/video/megadeth-dystopia/3441824

Also for some reason Dave Lombardo has been sitting in with the house band all week.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally got around to listening to Battles the new In Flames album. Its definitely not as good as the melodic death metal inflames but this sound is very easy to listen to. I don't even know if its metal but its still a good listen. I think if people just go expecting metal they might be disappointed.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

New Immolation track. Sorry if this has been posted already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUh2ctYZFE

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Ulio posted:

Finally got around to listening to Battles the new In Flames album. Its definitely not as good as the melodic death metal inflames but this sound is very easy to listen to. I don't even know if its metal but its still a good listen. I think if people just go expecting metal they might be disappointed.
The last sentence isn't untrue, but this is also a god-awful, total garbage album with no redeeming qualities whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any interesting moments in the James Hetfield appearance on the latest Joe Rogan podcast? I tired listening but the first ten minutes of interview were painful.