Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Chairchucker posted:

I think one of the points Draymond was making was that while players are making more money, they're not getting more of a percentage of the profits, it's just that the total profits have gone up.
They are making what they are making because the NBA has a very strong players union that has fought for and earned concessions from the owners and created a league in which the worst and best players can earn enough money in their time in the league to have made it worth their time. The average NBA lifespan is like 4-years, right? People that enter the league are now poised to make at least 2.5 million dollars after taxes during that time frame, which while not exactly setting you up for life, will give you time to figure out a second act. This isn't a game of ideals, the players will always have to make concessions in order for the owners to make concessions towards them. The minimum salary going down as a % of the total is as much a result of the expansion of the league as anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

them getting a deal done and it being loosely beneficial to the players vs. ownership after this off-season and the posturing done last season is a freaking miracle and the whole statement seemed like looking a gift horse in the mouth in order to project the image of being a more discerning/caring buyer.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dexo posted:

Tbf I wouldn't doubt there being problems with it. The heads of the union now are superstars. It would be easy for them to get things that benefit them while screwing over non stars.

The rank and file members of the union may just not care or look into it. Besides what their player representative tells them about it.

I dunno, but it's a bit silly to dismiss someone's complaint out of hand because it isn't the majority.

The changes to the over 36 rules are 100% an instance of this

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairchucker posted:

I think one of the points Draymond was making was that while players are making more money, they're not getting more of a percentage of the profits, it's just that the total profits have gone up.

Well, a lockout hurts the little guys more than the stars who have other forms of revenue. So if you wanted to push hard for more you'd have to prepare for a potential lockout and a bunch of players getting screwed. Getting a new deal with no lockout that really does benefit everyone is a pretty good thing. But Draymond can pretend to take some moral high ground without having to face any consequences.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Glumslinger posted:

The changes to the over 36 rules are 100% an instance of this

Exactly. What did the players give up in order to get that provision changed for Lebron/Me7o/CP3?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dexo posted:

Exactly. What did the players give up in order to get that provision changed for Lebron/Me7o/CP3?

I don't think anything. It was not a really rational rule to begin with .

Imho.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Banana boat boys running the league is good, IMHO. They seems like decent fellows.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dexo posted:

The random rear end people that got the max or near it that everyone complained about (Evan Turner) will likely no longer be making the max when their next deal comes around.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

I'd be willing to bet that they got the 36-to-38 change in exchange for players still having to wait a year after high school to enter the draft.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think it's dumb but that's not how negotiations generally work. Very rarely will the owners just make concession without getting something in return.

And like I loving hate Draymond Green. I think it's real dumb how we are judging things based off the brief summaries we have seen vs someone who is significantly closer voicing his complaints. Even if he ultimately decided to accept the deal for labor peace.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how common is it for a team to have a back-to-back home and home against the same team

bulls are at mil tonight and tomorrow have mil at the UC

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

The random rear end people that got the max or near it that everyone complained about (Evan Turner) will likely no longer be making the max when their next deal comes around.

Eh. That's the owners being dumb. The players should welcome Owners being dumb and not do anything to limit just how dumb owners can be.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

how common is it for a team to have a back-to-back home and home against the same team

Not very often. Not many teams are as close as Chicago and Milwaukee though.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Charlotte and New York did one recently which was bizarre

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dude sounds like everyone that did a semester of anarchy in college and went to an occupy wall street rally

Your reaction doesn't really make sense to me. Draymond is saying, with a thousand extraneous words, that the league shouldn't just be max players and minimum players. He wants the replacement level player to be seen as something other than disposable, he wants the ballers to share the fruits of their labors more equitably. That's all. There's nothing objectionable about that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I love the League making it more and more lucrative to just tank and pray for a superstar than actually plan things and try and sign people in free agency.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think they actually increased these recently. I can think of a few teams off the top of my head that have done it already this year

edit: Houston has done it twice this year with, Dallas and San Antonio

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Changing the rule from 36 to 38 was probably an easy concession for owners -- it's mostly intended to keep front offices from circumventing the cap, and players are starting to routinely play to age 40 these days. Meanwhile, the minimum and middle class exceptions get healthy bumps and programs were added that impact everyone universally like health benefits for retired players and tuition reimbursement.

The current system was crafted in an era when stars basically sat out the negotiating process. Max salaries and mechanisms like the MLE and bi-annual exception were built with the middle class in mind and aren't going away. If Draymond had anything practical to say or suggest I'd be interested in his perspective but he was making GBS threads on the deal on Twitter before he even saw a term sheet

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's been more common this year because teams have been rematching each other within a week or so more often.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Whew, Morey must have gotten word that some other GM was sniffing around Bobby and had to act fast. 32 year old guards who have spent the past half-decade honing their craft against the finest basketball teams Greece and Poland have to offer and defacing UNESCO World Heritage Sites don't exactly grow on trees.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow!!!! The stipulation of being on the drafting team is Huuuuge.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

Tbf I wouldn't doubt there being problems with it. The heads of the union now are superstars. It would be easy for them to get things that benefit them while screwing over non stars.

The rank and file members of the union may just not care or look into it. Besides what their player representative tells them about it.

I dunno, but it's a bit silly to dismiss someone's complaint out of hand because it isn't the majority.

This is a good point. We've heard the quotes from Adam Silver, about how Lebron et all "get that it's a business." That's a hint that the big money players have been co opted, they'll get theirs and everyone else has to scratch and claw.

Not that they're being exploited like a normal person, but the BRI split is laughable. The owners get tons of free money for doing nothing except having the money to buy the franchise initially. The players should try to take as much as possible

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

morestuff posted:

Changing the rule from 36 to 38 was probably an easy concession for owners -- it's mostly intended to keep front offices from circumventing the cap, and players are starting to routinely play to age 40 these days. Meanwhile, the minimum and middle class exceptions get healthy bumps and programs were added that impact everyone universally like health benefits for retired players and tuition reimbursement.

The current system was crafted in an era when stars basically sat out the negotiating process. Max salaries and mechanisms like the MLE and bi-annual exception were built with the middle class in mind and aren't going away. If Draymond had anything practical to say or suggest I'd be interested in his perspective but he was making GBS threads on the deal on Twitter before he even saw a term sheet

He's literally the player rep for the warriors. He would have been kept up to date on the negotiations, if not in the meetings.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

Your reaction doesn't really make sense to me. Draymond is saying, with a thousand extraneous words, that the league shouldn't just be max players and minimum players. He wants the replacement level player to be seen as something other than disposable, he wants the ballers to share the fruits of their labors more equitably. That's all. There's nothing objectionable about that
isn't that what paying the min and extra-max guys more does though? It tries to set up a player level economy that more accurately reflects the on-court product? I would be most in favor of the Evan Turners and Mozgovs of the world having their salary distributed directly towards the minimum, but I'm not opposed to it going both ways.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iguodala and curry are on the executive committee.

They probably talk to green idk.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like seriously people maybe we should wait and see all of the minutiae of the deal before bashing the dude who was one of the players in the union meetings along with two of his teammates during the negotiations having some complaints about it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dexo posted:

He's literally the player rep for the warriors. He would have been kept up to date on the negotiations, if not in the meetings.

You read that interview with him? He definitely doesn't sound like he's up to date.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dexo posted:

Like seriously people maybe we should wait and see all of the minutiae of the deal before bashing the dude who was one of the players in the union meetings along with two of his teammates during the negotiations having some complaints about it.
what is the internet for if not for making GBS threads on people with knee jerk reactions before the facts come in?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

what is the internet for if not for making GBS threads on people with knee jerk reactions before the facts come in?

eh fair enough.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wtf is he talking about, didn't they make it so that the minimum and rookie scale concepts were not fixed amounts but % of cap?

I assume he wanted to revisit the revenue split. The players got worked last time and tbh I'm surprised they didn't nix this deal. Also as a dude who was a 2nd round pick and came up from that, I don't think it's unreasonable that he'd be a bit more sensitive to the lower end off the pay scale.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

isn't that what paying the min and extra-max guys more does though? It tries to set up a player level economy that more accurately reflects the on-court product? I would be most in favor of the Evan Turners and Mozgovs of the world having their salary distributed directly towards the minimum, but I'm not opposed to it going both ways.

Did I misread? I thought it said minimum salary and mid-level went up by 50%, the salary cap increased by about 40%. That's a slot 10% increase. It's a pretty small concession to keep the 50-50 bri split

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Craig.... :smith:

gently caress you cancer and your loving up peoples lives

gently caress you 2016

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Dexo posted:

I love the League making it more and more lucrative to just tank and pray for a superstar than actually plan things and try and sign people in free agency.

Wow those stipulations are something. I'm a Rockets fan, but I didn't really give a poo poo that James Harden got snubbed from the All-NBA teams last year because poo poo like that was ultimately meaningless. But now that this designated player exception exists, and is dependent on stuff like that, I could see it getting, I don't know, pretty contentious? There have definitely been players who were named to the team due to playing pretty good and being an established name at the expense of someone who put up better numbers but isn't as known. And seeing as how this will be a huge tool for small market teams to be able to keep their superstars from leaving, we could potentially see the entire destiny of a franchise change forever because some sportswriter dicked around and picked his favorite player.

Also, speaking of Harden, does he count as a player who was traded on his rookie deal? He was traded and then signed an extension, so it should, right?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

Did I misread? I thought it said minimum salary and mid-level went up by 50%, the salary cap increased by about 40%. That's a slot 10% increase. It's a pretty small concession to keep the 50-50 bri split
But they also add two roster spots. I want more ballers to make money for themselves and their families, but beyond the 5m/year range I don't really give a poo poo as it's all play money at that point and it should roughly reflect the on court contributions of the players.

I think arguing against 50-50 is the right thing to do on a moral level, but it didn't seem to be in the cards in these negotiations with the threat of a lockout and so many players really getting paid for the first time with the new cap.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It should be like top 5 in mvp votes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sheriff posted:

Wow those stipulations are something. I'm a Rockets fan, but I didn't really give a poo poo that James Harden got snubbed from the All-NBA teams last year because poo poo like that was ultimately meaningless. But now that this designated player exception exists, and is dependent on stuff like that, I could see it getting, I don't know, pretty contentious? There have definitely been players who were named to the team due to playing pretty good and being an established name at the expense of someone who put up better numbers but isn't as known. And seeing as how this will be a huge tool for small market teams to be able to keep their superstars from leaving, we could potentially see the entire destiny of a franchise change forever because some sportswriter dicked around and picked his favorite player.

Also, speaking of Harden, does he count as a player who was traded on his rookie deal? He was traded and then signed an extension, so it should, right?

Yes he counts. He's probably why the trade provision was added.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anthony Davis lost like 23 million because sports writers

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This was a continuation of the last deal with some improvements but the last deal was reallly bad. So in a sense I get where Draymond is coming from. But there is no way they are fixing that without a very long stoppage where public sentiment is on their side or a successful competing league.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dejan Bimble posted:

The 50-50 split is especially egregious assuming they didn't do anything to address all the funny accounting owners can do to separate "basketball related" stuff from getting split.

Dexo posted:

Yes he counts. He's probably why the trade provision was added.

I'm actually thinking it's more for dudes who get traded draft day vs. picks that are traded. Alternately just a catch-all to get players who essentially came up with a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

But they also add two roster spots. I want more ballers to make money for themselves and their families, but beyond the 5m/year range I don't really give a poo poo as it's all play money at that point and it should roughly reflect the on court contributions of the players.

I think arguing against 50-50 is the right thing to do on a moral level, but it didn't seem to be in the cards in these negotiations with the threat of a lockout and so many players really getting paid for the first time with the new cap.

I agree with you, they didn't have a chance to win a labor dispute after all the huge contracts. My point is just that Draymond isn't wrong to want the money to be spread around a bit more in light of everything.

Maybe the over 38 rule will result in a bunch of washed up guys taking up huge amounts of salary cap space, and cause younger players to fight for a higher % of BRI in the future

• Locked thread