Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J
Jun 10, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

So I did a really dumb thing this evening after a lucky chance orb

Well, at least nobody can say you don't have balls. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

lol if you quality every pair of sorc boots you pick up.

The gently caress? Nobody's saying this at all

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hauki posted:

The gently caress? Nobody's saying this at all

it could be read that way :colbert:

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Had a great day yesterday. Traded up all my currency in to chaos, started scooping up the cheapest exalts I could find and then turned them all in to The Last One Standing cards and actually managed to get my hands on an Atziri's Disfavour. This is definitely the most expensive item I've ever held in Path of Exile.

I'd just been grinding out exp for lvl 20 gems / lvl 90 character challenges but now it's time to start pushing in to red maps. Hilariously I spent all my chaos buying the drat axe so when I rolled temp chains / phys reflect on my only T13 I was a little annoyed. The guide I've been using suggests getting The Brass Dome for defense, but I've got a 5 link 40% Belly of the Beast that is proooobably staying put. I'm really excited to get to and try out the Guardian fights and maybe even Shaper - my Whispering Ice dude never quite made it last league.

This league is fun and this game is fun. Already can't wait for 3.0.

EDIT: Is there any way to make totems chill immune? I can probably brute force Tul with this big loving axe now, but when I tried to take him on with my 450 pds sword my totems were just too slow and died too quickly to get anything done. It's probably my biggest frustration so far and really the only thing I've struggled with on this Ancestral Warchief build.

MerrMan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 15, 2016

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Cast when channeling is a pretty absurd mechanic. For me it took a 6 link to really shine, but at that point wither-cwc-firestorm with 2 consuming darks has annihilated most everything. Got all the duration available on the tree so firestorm, poison, wither all last ~4 seconds. Has ended up as one of those builds that kills atziri and her crew about as soon as they come out of their invincible animations. Haven't had anything so far that has lived long enough for the full damage ramp-up of 12 firestorms and 20 withers to accumulate.

Defense is solid too. I'm doing inquisitor instead of occultist because I like life builds. Sitting at 6k hp, 5k standing armor (brine crown), 14% life regen on the constant hallowed ground and 3% leech off of warlords mark and enchants. Have been able to face tank most everything I've tried so far except esh because he won't hold still.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

J posted:

Well, at least nobody can say you don't have balls. :psyduck:

I'd do it again as a professional funhaver :colbert:

(I'd probably go get some sort of enchant from labyrinth first though, that was a derp)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm running a crit Arc Witch with the intention of using Call of the Brotherhood once I'm able to afford one. I also just had a The Halcyon drop, and I'm trying to determine whether I should keep it, or sell it to get some cash for the ring. I assume The Halcyon's increased cold damage will apply to the converted damage from Call of the Brotherhood, but I also feel like using both will throw my resistances into the shitter. Any thoughts?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ciaphas posted:

I'd do it again as a professional funhaver :colbert:

(I'd probably go get some sort of enchant from labyrinth first though, that was a derp)
Hey, you never know, you could have gotten +1 frenzy charges :v:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm running a crit Arc Witch with the intention of using Call of the Brotherhood once I'm able to afford one. I also just had a The Halcyon drop, and I'm trying to determine whether I should keep it, or sell it to get some cash for the ring. I assume The Halcyon's increased cold damage will apply to the converted damage from Call of the Brotherhood, but I also feel like using both will throw my resistances into the shitter. Any thoughts?

Yeah the cold damage would apply. Seems like they have a good amount of synergy together, and they do have at least some resists on them.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

CautionaryOstrich posted:

You get my PM requesting an invite Sky? Sent it a few days ago.

Skyblazer is a dead man, just ask in the discord (link in OP) or the IRC.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Holyshoot posted:

it could be read that way :colbert:

If you've been ignoring the thread, maybe.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What are the varieties of cyclone builds? I guess there's WED, the mathil stacking int and fire build, ummm, what else? Please advise

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey for a CI character, am I better off using basalt/quartz or granite/jade flasks for defense?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jinnigan posted:

What are the varieties of cyclone builds? I guess there's WED, the mathil stacking int and fire build, ummm, what else? Please advise

Phys with voidheart/vuln and just big 2h scaling with hatred /hoa

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

StashAugustine posted:

Hey for a CI character, am I better off using basalt/quartz or granite/jade flasks for defense?

I like the basalt and stibnite combo.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Is there any trick to being able to tell if a 2h axe has an open prefix? Seems like some of these mods overlap and poe.trade can't tell, and I can't tell by eyeballing it. I want to buy an axe and craft bleed on it without having to rely on the seller to not lie about if it has an open prefix.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Had an affix question myself, can a rare have any combination of six affixes or does it have to be up-to-three prefixes and up-to-three suffixes? poeaffix.net doesn't make that clear and I can't get to the official wiki at work. (Why I can get to poeaffix.net and poe.trade is best left unasked)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ciaphas posted:

Had an affix question myself, can a rare have any combination of six affixes or does it have to be up-to-three prefixes and up-to-three suffixes? poeaffix.net doesn't make that clear and I can't get to the official wiki at work. (Why I can get to poeaffix.net and poe.trade is best left unasked)
Up to three of each.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

J posted:

Is there any trick to being able to tell if a 2h axe has an open prefix? Seems like some of these mods overlap and poe.trade can't tell, and I can't tell by eyeballing it. I want to buy an axe and craft bleed on it without having to rely on the seller to not lie about if it has an open prefix.

Ask them to craft it for you. Or if you have vagan 7, ask them to craft a junk prefix before you trade as evidence for an open prefix, and swap it out yourself.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

You should always quality before a vaal since you can't do it after the item has been corrupted.

lol if you quality every pair of sorc boots you pick up.

it was for hammers (for chisels)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT322wwwew8 finally its working in maps, almost 6k ES with a tabula and without discipline

thinking about getting a skin of the loyal lmao

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I found this serious of events over the afternoon amusing.

Flippers flipping. Kinda wonder how much the first time around sold for.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

theshim posted:

Up to three of each.

Thanks. Thinking about diving into the world of poe.trade live searches to see how far I can gear up the pyre vortexer before it becomes expensive enough that I get annoyed/bored. :v:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

So someone posted to Reddit today confirming that Blade Vortex's current +30% more damage per stack applies to poison. Which is obviously an oversight because other similar skills do not work this way (or at least Flameblast doesn't, I don't know if BF does but people haven't really noticed it). I could see it getting hotfixed, but if not enjoy another 3 months of BV dominance.

However, this wouldn't be nearly as interesting except the part where the guy who posted it on Reddit explicitly did on a throwaway account and defended it in the comments because if he posted it on his real account, he would be ignored by all the top end players and screw himself out of trading forever. And the thread is getting downvoted really hard in an attempt to hide the information.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Cast when channeling is a pretty absurd mechanic. For me it took a 6 link to really shine, but at that point wither-cwc-firestorm with 2 consuming darks has annihilated most everything. Got all the duration available on the tree so firestorm, poison, wither all last ~4 seconds. Has ended up as one of those builds that kills atziri and her crew about as soon as they come out of their invincible animations. Haven't had anything so far that has lived long enough for the full damage ramp-up of 12 firestorms and 20 withers to accumulate.

Defense is solid too. I'm doing inquisitor instead of occultist because I like life builds. Sitting at 6k hp, 5k standing armor (brine crown), 14% life regen on the constant hallowed ground and 3% leech off of warlords mark and enchants. Have been able to face tank most everything I've tried so far except esh because he won't hold still.

Link your profile/character? I wanna do a fire caster something and this seems fun. I'd probably do CI though depending.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

This game gives me a severe case of alt-itis, and I love it. Got an RT Cyclone into mapping, then started a Lazy Pally build with Blade Flurry (maybe not optimal like e.g. Ice Crash but fun as heck), got him into Merciless. And now I'm looking at Whispering Ice builds.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

So someone posted to Reddit today confirming that Blade Vortex's current +30% more damage per stack applies to poison. Which is obviously an oversight because other similar skills do not work this way (or at least Flameblast doesn't, I don't know if BF does but people haven't really noticed it). I could see it getting hotfixed, but if not enjoy another 3 months of BV dominance.

However, this wouldn't be nearly as interesting except the part where the guy who posted it on Reddit explicitly did on a throwaway account and defended it in the comments because if he posted it on his real account, he would be ignored by all the top end players and screw himself out of trading forever. And the thread is getting downvoted really hard in an attempt to hide the information.

Personally I like the posts where it turns out he didn't test anything numerically, just noticed his old BV character was doing more damage and immediately concluded it was a new poison double-dip.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I keep forgetting to ask. Can I get a guild invite? Character's name is Velastrasz

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Moddington posted:

Personally I like the posts where it turns out he didn't test anything numerically, just noticed his old BV character was doing more damage and immediately concluded it was a new poison double-dip.
Whats more interesting is a tangent in that thread where apparently spell echo still works with some subset of spells when they get CWC-ed? Someone do some testing quick.

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
I managed to beat the campaign on Merciless and should be done the lab tonight. Yay me. What the gently caress do I do now? Maps?

I have no idea how this works. From this thread I gather I am supposed to:
Run T1 and T2 maps, making them blues first

The atlas is confusing. How does Zana level up? She's only selling T1 maps and I've only seen 1s drop before. The wikis explain mechanics not really "how" it all works.

I'm level 71 flameblast totem, my resistances are capped, working on the gear to switch over to CI/ES and upping my crit, and trying to fit in a CWDT Immortal Call.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The Atlas shows you the drop progression of maps. There's 4 tier 1 maps (corners) and from there they branch out in a myriad of ways before ending at the 4 Guardian maps leading to the Shaper in the center.

Anyway, completing a map increases the probability of map drops being +1 level higher by 1%. Completing a map means beating it with the map at a certain rarity. For white maps, it's Magic. Yellow = Rare, Red = Rare + Corrupted.

Tier 1 maps will be the only ones to drop outside of maps. In maps, you'll get anything up to +2 the level of the current map plus the Atlas bonus (so a rare/unique monster might drop something +3 tiers up, but good luck with that).

Zana levels up just like other masters, but she is only found in maps (pro-tip: get her in your hideout ASAP).

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 16, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Wask posted:

I managed to beat the campaign on Merciless and should be done the lab tonight. Yay me. What the gently caress do I do now? Maps?

I have no idea how this works. From this thread I gather I am supposed to:
Run T1 and T2 maps, making them blues first

The atlas is confusing. How does Zana level up? She's only selling T1 maps and I've only seen 1s drop before. The wikis explain mechanics not really "how" it all works.

I'm level 71 flameblast totem, my resistances are capped, working on the gear to switch over to CI/ES and upping my crit, and trying to fit in a CWDT Immortal Call.

Zana levels up just like the other masters. Find her in a map then complete her mission. As she levels up she sells more maps and higher levels and rarities.

The atlas:

quote:

The player's progression through the end-game maps is visualized in the Atlas of Worlds. Maps are connected to each other and form pathways to the center of the Atlas. There are four starting points (tier 1 maps); one in each corner. Players can also add mods to maps by using Cartographer's Sextants and upgrade (shape) maps with a Shaper's Orb.

Only connected maps (neighbouring maps on the Atlas) and maps previously completed can drop from a map area. The only exception is during Zana's missions where you can obtain maps without restrictions from your Atlas progression. As players progress towards the center of the Atlas from the four corners, the tier of maps increases. In the center of the map are four Guardians of the Void. Defeating them gives players a chance to challenge the creator of the Atlas himself, the Shaper.

So there are 4 T1's, one in each corner. Complete the map objective to unlock the next map on the atlas which will be a T2, and so on. To complete the map objectives and unlock the atlas you need to run white tier (1 - 5) maps as blue, yellow tier (6 - 10) maps as rare, and red tier (11 - 16) maps as rare, and at least once as corrupted and kill the map boss.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bugsy posted:

I like the basalt and stibnite combo.

Does this leave you vulnerable against spells, since those ignore evasion and (generally) phys resist? Also, does the increased evasion do much if you haven't put much into base evasion?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

POE has simultaneously the best and the worst community

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Ultima66 posted:

All generic more mods double dip poison. Flameblast's more mod doesn't double dip it for the same reason, say, controlled destruction doesn't double dip it: it's more spell damage, and spell damage mods never double dip poison. Blade flurry double dipping on poison was obvious when the skill was revealed, there's no need to hide it.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

whypick1 posted:

Zana levels up just like other masters, but she is only found in maps (pro-tip: get her in your hideout ASAP).

I think I did about 25 maps before she showed up in one of mine, gently caress having to warp to the lab for each map

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
e; wrong thread

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Tier 1 maps will be the only ones to drop outside of maps. In maps, you'll get anything up to +2 the level of the current map plus the Atlas bonus (so a rare/unique monster might drop something +3 tiers up, but good luck with that).

Map drops still respect drop restrictions. Magic/Rares/Uniques are capped at max to +1 of the current level of the map, with the boss being the only one capable of dropping a +2.

125% completion would, for example, in a Tier 6 map cause any Tier 4 maps that drop to be upgraded to Tier 5 with a 25% chance of being a Tier 6.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
by now enough goons have Zana in their hideouts any new player can ask in guild for a ridealong or two to get her too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

When should I start considering actually using these cartographer's chisels? What sort of maps warrant them, and what if I have the prophecy that makes one more valuable?

• Locked thread