Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ramos posted:

Fantastic post by the way.

Thanks! Aztec Mythos are a passion of mine. And well, we've seen how Japan sees them but how about the west?

These two are from an actual TCG done by Chilean artists

These ones are from an ill-fated card game developed in Mexico

Here we have Tlaloc, Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli god of Venus, Ehecatl god of winds and finally, Patecatl god of Pulque

A close up of Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli

Fun fact, this is the only piece that depicts Quetzalcoalt as a human. He's the venerable old man at the leftmost side. Behind him is Ehecatl god of wind, the lady in the back is Coatlicue goddess of earth and mother of Huitzilopchtl and Coyolxauhqui. The Green Skeleton in the Middle is Mictlantecuhtli god of the underworld, then is Tlaloc and the one in the rightmost side is our old pal, Tezcatlipoca.

And now, actual fanart from mexican artists

Here we have Huitzilopchtli, God of War and main Aztec deity accompanied by his mother, Coatlicue.

Huitzilopochtli again

An eagle knight

The next batch are all from the same artist

Huitzilopochtli again :v:

Tlaloc

Quetzalcoatl

Tonatiuh, Sun God

Coyolxauhqui, Moon Goddess

Itzpapalotl, Goddess of death and conflict.

Mictlantecuhtli

Mayahuel, goddess of Agave

Xochiquetzal, goddess of Flowers and love.

Xochiquetzal and Hawaiian lava goddess, Pele because why not.

In an unusual depiction of the lore, here we have Quetzalcoatl trolling Tezcatlipoca.

And because of course it would be a thing

Jojo inspired Moctezuma, Nezahualcoyotl and good ol' Tlaloc

Bonus!

Tlaloc in a mock up dating sim

And a relationship chart of the multiple Aztec gods.

Unfortunately, I can't identify them all. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

RareAcumen posted:

I know I do!

:allears:

Oooioo yea give that dirty kabuki boi the hotglue

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why is Quetzalcoatl sometimes depicted as a serpent bird?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Heath posted:

Because according to the lore that is his real appearance, a massive feathered serpent. Quetzalcoalt actually means that, "Feathered Serpent"

Here you can see the way he was depicted in a temple dedicated to him in Teotihuacan.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

silentsnack posted:

Jason Voorhees, as redesigned by Tetsuya Nomura?

Oh, your very much mistaken. It's a sexy redesign of...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Oh, your very much mistaken. It's a sexy redesign of...

I'm sure it's already been posted a million times before but w/e

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Thanks! Aztec Mythos are a passion of mine. And well, we've seen how Japan sees them but how about the west?

:whatup: my fellow Teotl enthusiast!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Because according to the lore that is his real appearance, a massive feathered serpent. Quetzalcoalt actually means that, "Feathered Serpent"

Here you can see the way he was depicted in a temple dedicated to him in Teotihuacan.

In Chichen Itza they use a cool shadow trick to form the shape of Kukulkan (The Mayan equivalent of Quetzalcoatl, think Greece and Rome) on the Equinox!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kOyGZxKh4

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dreddout posted:

:whatup: my fellow Teotl enthusiast!

In Chichen Itza they use a cool shadow trick to form the shape of Kukulkan (The Mayan equivalent of Quetzalcoatl, think Greece and Rome) on the Equinox!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kOyGZxKh4

:hfive: Mesoamerican mythos are just the best am I right?

And yeah, Kukulkan descending during the Equinox is a really amazing experience that everyone should be able to see with their own eyes.

Also, if any of you guys has the chance to visit the site don't forget to stay behind at night to watch the spectacle of light and sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYu7gPuXDuU&t=760s

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
as always, remove the L at the end of the filename where applicable for full size

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

3rd party Arcee of The Transformers.

Robot mode looks fine:

Vehicle mode on the other hand:

Something something tailpipe

Not that the official toys are doing much better. Masterpiece Inferno is a fire truck, so he comes with a liquid spray attachment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And a relationship chart of the multiple Aztec gods.

Unfortunately, I can't identify them all. :doh:
You'll have to figure out what these are actually supposed to be but the katakana says:
First row: Mikutorantekutori, Omakatoru, Patekatoru, Mayaveru, Painaru, Vevekoyotoru
One off to the right under those last two: Atoratonan
Second row: Ishipaparotoru, Tsupe Toteku, Tesukatoripoka, Kesharukoatoru, Vishiropochitori
The two off to the right above the third row: Torarokku, Charuchivitorikui
Third row: Toranruteotoru, Torarutekutori, Shorotoru, Senteotaru, Vishatoshiwatoru, Tekushisotekatoru, Nanawashin
Fourth row: Ishutoriruton, Makuirushochitoru, Shochipiri, Shechikesharu, Shironen, Chikomekoatoru, Tonatiu

Kesharukoatoru is obviously Quetzalcoatl but the rest I'll leave to you who seem to know the actual names. Those four in the second row are grouped as "The four siblings of Ometeotoru", whatever that last word is, and the four in the lower left are "The four siblings of the flower of happiness", at any rate.

Edit: Had a typo in one and another completely missing from the fourth row, fixed

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Dec 16, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sorry, but I'm posting Undertale fanart. Make sure to have the CC on for a translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh6SrPeGOKI

MiddleInitial
Oct 30, 2012
Did someone say "weird undertale fanart"? Because I have some weird undertale fanart:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1539541258/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Heath posted:

The Aztec gods are all cool poo poo like giant snakes and skulls made of mirrors or w/e

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KennyMan666 posted:

You'll have to figure out what these are actually supposed to be but the katakana says:
First row: Mikutorantekutori, Omakatoru, Patekatoru, Mayaveru, Painaru, Vevekoyotoru
Second row: Ishipaparotoru, Tsupe Toteku, Tesukatoripoka, Kesharukoatoru, Vishiropochitori
Third row: Toranruteotoru, torarutekutori, Shorotoru, Senteotaru, vishatoshiwatoru, Tekushisotekatoru, Nanawashin
Fourth row: Ishutoriruton, Makuirushochitoru, Shochipiri, Shironen, Chikimekoatoru, Tonatiu

Kesharukoatoru is obviously Quetzalcoatl but the rest I'll leave to you who seem to know the actual names. Those four in the second row are grouped as "The four siblings of Ometeotoru", whatever that last word is, and the four in the lower left are "The four siblings of the flower of happiness", at any rate.

Oh! That makes things much easier for me. Thanks. There are a few I'm not sure I identified accurately though.

Let's see then

First Row has: Mictlantecuhtli, I'm not entirely sure about the next one but it translates as Omácatl and that was just one of the many forms Tezcatlipoca could take. Then we have Patecatl and Mayahuel who were actually a couple and pretty much the patron gods of drunkards. After them we have Paynal who is Huitzilopochtli's messenger (think Hermes) and lastly, Huehuecoyotl a trickster god. He's pretty much the aztec version of Loki although he's also god of music and parties.

Under them we have Atlatonan, who was Goddess of the Coasts

Second Row begins with Itzpapalotl, the four at her right at the Four Tezcatlipocas or as the artist identified them, The Four childs of Ometeotl: Xipe Tótec, Tezcatlipoca, Quetzalcoatl and Huitzilopochtli. Ometeotl is the primal god in aztec lore, the one from which everything in the universe comes from. After them is Tlaloc and his wife Chalchihuitlicue, water goddess. Amusingly, lore describes Chalchihuitlicue as being an incredibly gorgeous woman while Tlaloc is described as monstrous with a cleft lip, fangs and google eyes.

Fourth row begins with Tlazolteotl "She who eats filth", goddess of sexual excess and the one who absolved people of their sins by eating them after being confessed, thus her moniker. Next is Tlaltecuhtli, earth goddess slaughtered by Quetzalcoatl and Tezcatlipoca to create the earth. Xolotl is beside her, he is Quetzalcoatl's twin and the one who helps people to travel through the underworld seeking audience with Mictlantecuhtli. We have Centeotl, goddess of corn and Huixtocihuatl goddess of salt water and eldest daughter of Tlaloc next. The last two in the row are Tecuciztécatl and Nanahuatzin, gods of the moon and sun respectively. They're also the protagonists of one of the most famous aztec legends the creation of the fifth sun.

Whew, just one row to go.

We begin with Ixtlilton, god of Medicine. Next to him is MalinalXochitl snake goddess and Huitzilopochtli's sister. Then there are Xochipilli and Xochiquetzal, god and goddess of the flowers. Interestingly, Xochipilli was also god of homosexuality and was known to have affair with gods and goddess equally. Now it gets weird, the next goddess are Xilonen and Chicomecoatl. Thing is, they are thought to be the same goddess under different names. Although since she's a goddess associated with sustenance and the cult to the corn and she's part of the trinity formed with Xilonen and Centeotl, I think the artist was aware of this.

The final god is Tonatiuh, the main sun god for the aztecs and the one for which the infamous heart ripping sacrifices were done.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

KennyMan666 posted:

Third row: Toranruteotoru, torarutekutori, Shorotoru, Senteotaru, vishatoshiwatoru, Tekushisotekatoru, Nanawashin
Fourth row: Ishutoriruton, Makuirushochitoru, Shochipiri, Shironen, Chikimekoatoru, Tonatiu

I'm pretty sure you just named all the Pokémon in the new game.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
That last one should be printed out and placed into a time capsule so that future historians will have the chance to be incredibly confused

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I don't know why I love this

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If you want to see more Japanese art of Mesoamerican mythology, see if you can find any art from the ill-fated F2p Vita game Destiny of Spirits. It had a ton of Aztec/Mayan spirits in the American summoning pool, in events, and in the Americas in general (also spirits based Native American mythology, for that matter, including the American version's tutorial character).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pick posted:

I don't know why I love this

It's good

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

U.T. Raptor posted:

If you want to see more Japanese art of Mesoamerican mythology, see if you can find any art from the ill-fated F2p Vita game Destiny of Spirits. It had a ton of Aztec/Mayan spirits in the American summoning pool, in events, and in the Americas in general (also spirits based Native American mythology, for that matter, including the American version's tutorial character).

Wow, you weren't kidding. These are great,although I do find amusing how some artists were pretty literal on their sticking to the lore while others have a pretty superficial approach on their designs.

This one bugs me because is fantastic but Huitzilopochtli was blue skinned, not gold.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I keep finding good stuff

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Im sorry, that last jojo led me to more jojo

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Bismuth you mischief maker!! You've betrayed the trust of Mr. Shalom by reposting/distributing! Do you not fear the wrath of his angry-wink???

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_oi92abSz911s876o9_480.mp4#_=_

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

SpiritualDeath posted:

Bismuth you mischief maker!! You've betrayed the trust of Mr. Shalom by reposting/distributing! Do you not fear the wrath of his angry-wink???

Stuff this stupid has to be seen, angry winks arent enough to hold it back!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
guess the show

that's right! it's doctor who

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aw drat, my guess was Ash vs Evil Dead

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Avshalom posted:

guess the show

that's right! it's doctor who

great mash up of a mindless series for children, and five nights at freddies

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man, that art style really fits the messed up proportion and over-the-top stylings of WH40k. Never would have thought of that myself.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kwyndig posted:

Man, that art style really fits the messed up proportion and over-the-top stylings of WH40k. Never would have thought of that myself.

It sort of looks a bit samurai Jackish.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oh my god

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What is that Simpsons one even a reference to

Adbot