Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

People flipped out that Idris Elba played Heimdall but I thought he was metal as gently caress in the role.

The Poetic Edda describes Heimdall as 'whitest of the gods'.

That one had to be deliberate. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This poo poo is written down, dude. Don't even try that poo poo. And you can thank me for blacking up movies because that's literally my loving job, even though I'm tainted with the cracker blood

Yes, because I called black people with white in them tainted. I'd love for you to point that post right on out there fam.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
In other news:

Rich white people taking spots in top tier public high schools in Chicago meant for poor kids.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20161215/west-ridge/cps-public-schools-selective-enrollment-residency-fraud-office-inspector-general

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Panfilo posted:

People flipped out that Idris Elba played Heimdall but I thought he was metal as gently caress in the role.

He was, and even if The Gunslinger turns out like most other King adaptations, he's going to be great in it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

negromancer posted:

Back on track:

Is it just me or are cinematic universes getting significantly blacker? I mean the MCU went from pretty much everyone being white, to having more black people than I would have ever anticipated actually getting screen time and not being present for 3 minutes then dying.

Between Warmachine, Falcon, and Black Panther, the three most interesting characters in the MCU now are all black men.

Shame Luke Cage kinda fizzled in the second half, though.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Between Warmachine, Falcon, and Black Panther, the three most interesting characters in the MCU now are all black men.

Shame Luke Cage kinda fizzled in the second half, though.

I thought the second half of Luke Cage was the better half. To me the show really didn't hit its stride til the 4th episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked Cottonmouth a lot and thought he was a compelling villain. Diamondback just being so drat crazy was a step down, imo.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I liked Cottonmouth a lot and thought he was a compelling villain. Diamondback just being so drat crazy was a step down, imo.

Only problem I had was the final sequence really. It's like they just put him in a green jumpsuit and decided "Yeah that's good enough."

In other news, an acquaintance of mine was recently driving through Texas on work and a cop pulled him over for... reasons. He ended up getting shot in the back while laying face down on the street. He's still alive but in the hospital and he'll probably never be able to work in his current field again(The bullet shattered his shoulder blade and ripped his shoulder muscles and pec apart). I suspect it'll be a while before any legal proceedings really kick off but hopefully he'll get a decent settlement out of it and the cop will lose his badge. I mean I wont hold my breath for that, but a guy can dream, right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn, best of luck to your friend.

It's hosed up, but by now there has to a process for raising a fuss about a black guy getting shot by a cop, right? A step-by-step guide or a list of people to contact or something?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

And you can thank me for blacking up movies because that's literally my loving job, even though I'm tainted with the cracker blood

You're doing some drat fine work. Out of curiosity is that literally literally literally or internet hyperbole literally?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

This poo poo is written down, dude. Don't even try that poo poo. And you can thank me for blacking up movies because that's literally my loving job, even though I'm tainted with the cracker blood

How tainted?

25%? 10%?. If you have more than 50% of the Caucasian blood in you you aren't allowed in these parts.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Hey you know what would be loving cool is if people shut up about white people and latinx people who are not black people in this thread about black people. You guys literally have the entire rest of the site to go be white and have your white feelings on. We get exactly two threads, and they are both poo poo up constantly.
Actually, the OP said that the people who were invited to participate in this thread included:

negromancer posted:

Women of Color

Men of Color

Gay Men of Color

Trans People of Color
But nahhhh, you just keep telling people to shut up and flipping out at POCs you don't agree with!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
So I suspect poo poo like this will happen with increasing frequency over the next 4 years:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/bs-md-ho-foose-race-issues-20161213-story.html

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

negromancer posted:

So I suspect poo poo like this will happen with increasing frequency over the next 4 years:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/bs-md-ho-foose-race-issues-20161213-story.html

oh my god it's literally that scene from Blazing Saddles

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

xthetenth posted:

You're doing some drat fine work. Out of curiosity is that literally literally literally or internet hyperbole literally?

I work in Hollywood specifically on diversity initiatives, although casting is more of a side effect of the work people like me are doing getting POCs hired as writers and directors.

BeanBandit posted:

Actually, the OP said that the people who were invited to participate in this thread included:

But nahhhh, you just keep telling people to shut up and flipping out at POCs you don't agree with!

You can click Negromancer's post history to see exactly what I'm talking about, douchebag. I'm far from the first person pointing it out. And yes I do "disagree with" telling black people they aren't black because they grew up around white people. Negromancer's the one going against his own OP trying to declare himself the only real black person here. You not seeing the problem with that tells me everything I'd ever need to know about you.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

You can click Negromancer's post history to see exactly what I'm talking about, douchebag. I'm far from the first person pointing it out. And yes I do "disagree with" telling black people they aren't black because they grew up around white people. Negromancer's the one going against his own OP trying to declare himself the only real black person here. You not seeing the problem with that tells me everything I'd ever need to know about you.

Fuuuuuck, I got nailed with the "douchebag" invective!

I agree with you that negromancer is being a dumbass! Why are we fighting, tiny brontosaurus! ahhhhhhhhh! :weeps openly:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BeanBandit posted:

Fuuuuuck, I got nailed with the "douchebag" invective!

I agree with you that negromancer is being a dumbass! Why are we fighting, tiny brontosaurus! ahhhhhhhhh! :weeps openly:

You are being an rear end in a top hat and making GBS threads up the thread. No one is impressed by this. Stop.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm so glad Idris got the part of Roland because Idris is pretty much exactly who I imagined Roland being. I don't think there's been a more perfectly cast role in history.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

You are being an rear end in a top hat and making GBS threads up the thread. No one is impressed by this. Stop.

Okay, fair enough. I'm sorry.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
There's "POC" Tiny Brontosaurus approves of and "POC" the rest of the planet approves of. Thank god we have an arbiter of race to patiently explain to us how race works.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ta-Nehisi Coates has a new long form reflecting on Obama that is a good read for those who missed it and are interested: http://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/508793/

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Tiny Brontosaurus, is this thread solely for black people, or can other people of color post here?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

negromancer posted:

I know that a good portion of the country has no loving idea how to interact with the black community in a non-shameful way, but the reality of it always manages to depress me. You'd think I'd be immune at this point.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BeanBandit posted:

Tiny Brontosaurus, is this thread solely for black people, or can other people of color post here?

Shut the gently caress up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

I know that a good portion of the country has no loving idea how to interact with the black community in a non-shameful way, but the reality of it always manages to depress me. You'd think I'd be immune at this point.

I mean, you can look in this very thread...

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Shut the gently caress up.

:aaa:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BeanBandit posted:

There's "POC" Tiny Brontosaurus approves of and "POC" the rest of the planet approves of. Thank god we have an arbiter of race to patiently explain to us how race works.

Are you the arbiter of race?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

stone cold posted:

Are you the arbiter of race?

Of course not! Where the hell would you get that idea?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Anyway, back to the actual subject of the thread: did anyone think Roof would not be convicted? Like you'd need to be doing some stretching for a hard rear end reach of him being not guilty.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, hope is a lie and I know that bowl cut motherfucker is going to get away with a slap on the wrist for something.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Ta-Nehisi Coates has a new long form reflecting on Obama that is a good read for those who missed it and are interested: http://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/508793/

I'm going to miss our president, but I'm really going to loving miss Michelle Obama.

teen witch posted:

Anyway, back to the actual subject of the thread: did anyone think Roof would not be convicted?

Absolutely. After Trump's election, and the Bundys walking because of jury nullifcation, I thought Dylan Roof was going to go free on some kind of bullshit. I'm glad the jury had the sense to convict him, and I hope the sentencing is just.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 16, 2016

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BeanBandit posted:

Of course not! Where the hell would you get that idea?

You just seem to be a bit angry at a POC trying to keep the discussion in here about black people as opposed to white issues which are covered in literally every other thread? It's a little baffling?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

BeanBandit posted:

Hey shut the gently caress up and get out you loving suck.

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

I have one specific $20 memory... I was late to work and had to take a cab, and then my card was declined. The taxi driver wanted to call the cops immediately, but I begged him to let me go find some cash and left my phone as collateral. I borrowed 20 from an older white man I worked with, and he was very kind in giving it to me, but I was so ashamed at having to do it that I just... never went back to that job. That's the kind of decision, both irrational and not, that living on the tightrope has you making.

I had to borrow $5 off my supervisor today to buy lunch and he let me off paying, which was nice.

Since I gave my last $5 as gas money to my extremely nice black female coworker who has been giving me rides home so I don't have to walk the 2.5 miles home at midnight in below freezing weather. She's a nice person, I'm glad we have developed a friendship in class solidarity.

She even offered to make some calls to see if she could get me a better price for weed than I'm currently getting off my african american acquintance who provides it to me, after I offered her some free buds if she drives me to meet with him after our overtime on saturday.

I have to say not being a racist and recognising your mutual interests and experiences through class politics is loving awesome, she's a great friend.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Trumpenproletariat posted:

I had to borrow $5 off my supervisor today to buy lunch and he let me off paying, which was nice.

Since I gave my last $5 as gas money to my extremely nice black female coworker who has been giving me rides home so I don't have to walk the 2.5 miles home at midnight in below freezing weather. She's a nice person, I'm glad we have developed a friendship in class solidarity.

She even offered to make some calls to see if she could get me a better price for weed than I'm currently getting off my african american acquintance who provides it to me, after I offered her some free buds if she drives me to meet with him after our overtime on saturday.

I have to say not being a racist and recognising your mutual interests and experiences through class politics is loving awesome, she's a great friend.

This also isn't the place for poo poo gimmicks either.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

stone cold posted:

You just seem to be a bit angry at a POC trying to keep the discussion in here about black people as opposed to white issues which are covered in literally every other thread? It's a little baffling?

hahahaha jesus christ... I am not white, you stupid loving piece of poo poo...

unbelievable. loving goons.

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Fluffdaddy posted:

This also isn't the place for poo poo gimmicks either.

Everything I said was true and happened to me at work today...?

Sorry that I'm a member of the (admittedly rather small) urban white working class who is friends with lots of black urban working class due to my location and job i guess?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BeanBandit posted:

You're coming in super aggressive without bothering to outline your position first, in a thread which regularly gets derailed by racist shitheads (see a couple of posts above). Is it any surprise that you're getting misinterpreted?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BeanBandit posted:

I didn't call you white?????

I simply take issue with trying to shut down a POC poster who is asking people to post about AfAm and black issues instead of talking about white or Latinx issues?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trumpenproletariat posted:

I got a ride home from work from a white coworker today under similar circumstances (rain in LA, aka the apocalypse)

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

stone cold posted:

I didn't call you white?????

I simply take issue with trying to shut down a POC poster who is asking people to post about AfAm and black issues instead of talking about white or Latinx issues?

I don't think I did that, man. If I did, I sincerely apologize.

• Locked thread