Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

Anyway, I'm making the choice right now between watching Patton and Once Upon a Time in the West before I spend the rest of my day studying for finals, and I don't suppose anyone would care to sway me on way or the other? I haven't seen either movie before.

I absolutely love Patton despite hating most biopics on its model. Really exceptional movie.

I've always a felt Once Upon a Time in the West was kinda overrated. It's no The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've always a felt Once Upon a Time in the West was kinda overrated. It's no The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

While I do agree with this, OUTWest is still worth it for the opening scene alone.

Edit: I'm also with you on Patton

Hubbardologist posted:

Also, A Field in England is available on Prime. It's real good. If you like black and white psychedelic flicks set during the English Civil War. And Michael Smiley.

I couldn't stand A Field in England; I ended up not even finishing it, so I guess I don't like those types of flicks.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 13, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Paper Kaiju posted:

While I do agree with this, OUTWest is still worth it for the opening scene alone.

Practically a movie in itself because it's like eight minutes long.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Once Upon a Time in the West also has this scene, which is maybe my favorite shot in any Western(which is saying a lot): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WPMoVtHSOs

Its maybe Leone's best looking film overall, of course its hard to overlook the lack of Eastwood and Van Cleef.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Basebf555 posted:

Its maybe Leone's best looking film overall, of course its hard to overlook the lack of Eastwood and Van Cleef.
It's easier when you get to replace them with Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda.

Though I actually am happy that Eastwood, Van Cleef, and Wallach being cast as the opening scene gangsters got scrapped.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coaaab posted:

Though I actually am happy that Eastwood, Van Cleef, and Wallach being cast as the opening scene gangsters got scrapped.

I tend to agree. I mean yea I'd love to see what that version of the scene would have looked like, but it probably would have set the movie up more as a parody which would have worked against it.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I had been able to see it at the time, because apparently Henry Fonda's villain turn was a stunning typecasting break. For me now, that role almost defines him as an actor.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

fishtobaskets posted:

I wish I had been able to see it at the time, because apparently Henry Fonda's villain turn was a stunning typecasting break. For me now, that role almost defines him as an actor.

If you haven't you should go back and watch some of his John Ford roles, seeing those broke me out of that mode where I only ever could see him as his Once Upon a Time character.

Young Lincoln and especially My Darling Clementine are the two that really define him in my mind after having seen them.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

precision posted:

Yeah I just had to Google it just to even remember which mid-00s edgy crime movie it was. It's not unwatchable or the worst movie of the decade but it's just not that good either.

If you're in a fix for this exact kind of movie but better, I recommend Smoking Aces. It's stupid, but pretty fun and it works. Lots of fun characters. I like the sniper chick. Not sure if it's on any streaming sites now, though.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I didn't know people were making it out to be. I mean, it's a better Shaun of the Dead, and I can watch either one on any given day. That doesn't mean it's a laugh riot. It's just amazingly well put together.

Shaun of the Dead is my favorite movie ever. :') But you're right. If I had a choice, i'd watch Shawn before Hot Fuzz.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rough Lobster posted:

If you're in a fix for this exact kind of movie but better, I recommend Smoking Aces. It's stupid, but pretty fun and it works. Lots of fun characters. I like the sniper chick. Not sure if it's on any streaming sites now, though.

Or better yet, Shoot 'Em Up which might be my favorite action movie of the 00s.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

taraji p henson is awesome all the tme

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

fishtobaskets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHI6Hl7FUqA

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I don't know if there's any exploitation fans here but Groupie Girl is on Prime. It's surprisingly decent. Like imagine if The Monkees were in 60s mod London and they decided to keep some girl who stowed away on their van. The music is good and the dialogue isn't horrid. Which puts it in the upper tier of exploitation titles.

But it wouldn't be an exploitation movie if it didn't take a weird turn where the leader tries to "give" her to a bandmate before trying to trade her out the window to another band on the motorway before crashing into the back of a stopped truck. All of that takes place in the span of 3 minutes. And there's still 30 minutes of movie afterwards. It has a fairly bleak ending but that's par for the course

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Terrorvision is on Amazon Prime. A supremely strange 80's horror comedy about one odd as hell family and an alien monster riding TV signals, also a personal favorite of mine.

This was some drat fine schlock. Thank you.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Terrorvision is so drat weird. It reminded me of a Troma film with the try-hard campiness and schlock. I felt vaguely gross after watching it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Yeah it was definitely physically disgusting. also it had homophobia and some other terrible things, but it was the 80s. I just liked how the alien savior finally shows up and is pretty much instantly killed.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

david_a posted:

Terrorvision is so drat weird. It reminded me of a Troma film with the try-hard campiness and schlock. I felt vaguely gross after watching it.

Check out Class of 1999 on Hulu next.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I just liked how the alien savior finally shows up and is pretty much instantly killed.

That's my favorite part too. Especially when the boy checks on him afterwards.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just finished Fuller House season 2. It had some actually funny jokes from time to time, which makes it better than season 1 by default. And they really reduced the cringe-inducing moments this season. It was kind of weird to blow through halloween, thanksgiving, christmas, and new year's episodes with no gaps between them like a network series would have, but I guess it works okay with the show's release date.

When it comes to family-focused modern sitcoms, you could do a lot worse. This feels surprisingly like the original show. Bring on season 3!

edit: and they totally had a "Beach Boys visit the Tanner house and then perform in concert with them" moment this season with NKOTB.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I started watching Kurt&Courtney on Netflix and good god it is bad. If I didn't know otherwise I would think this is one of those fake documentaries like A Mighty Wind or Spinal Tap.

I love Nirvana but this poo poo is awful.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
A list of what's coming to and leaving Netflix in January

Netflix's losing all ESPN's 30 for 30s. So a good time to bingewatch them if you like them!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

rngd in the womb posted:

Netflix's losing all ESPN's 30 for 30s. So a good time to bingewatch them if you like them!

That list only hast a few 30 for 30's so maybe it's only the first season?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It means "humorless" or "disapproving." It comes from slang for a toilet, possibly influenced/encouraged by the similarity to "poker-faced."

The comedy sketch is about a guy who invents horrible nightmare death machines in pursuit of a better checkout scanner at a grocery store. In the sketch, it's funny, because it's really obvious what his designs suggest to the viewer (horrible nightmare death machines) while his intentions are completely harmless. In the movie, you have a guy inventing weapons of war and expecting them not to be used to kill people, except they're not joking.

A team of military operatives go in to find out what happened to a group lost contact. They're being hunted by an enemy they don't understand and which they repeatedly underestimate. Both are driven behind-the-scenes by groups who want to capture the enemy and use it as a weapon. The main character in each is someone with unique insight into how dangerous the enemy is and how foolish it would be to try to try to control it. Both are metaphors for asymmetrical wars that had a deeply negative effect on the collective American psyche.

They're incredibly similar apart from the attitude each film has towards the military-industrial complex; Aliens is very critical and doesn't waste any time indicating this. Spectral is still critical of it but the criticism is very wishy-washy and remote.

The "rescue the downed squad in the building while command oversees from the APC" scene is also lifted wholesale from Aliens when the Marines go to rescue the colonists and get ambushed by Aliens. Like it's exactly the same, there's even a couple lines of dialogue that I'm pretty sure were verbatim.

I liked Spectral well enough. Like yeah the red shirt soldiers were underdeveloped, and yeah the science was heavy on technobabble and plot convenience, but the effects and action were well executed and I had a pretty good time with it. It's a B-movie with A-movie special effects.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

rngd in the womb posted:

Netflix sucks so bad now.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's kinda dire, I'm seriously considering just saying gently caress it to it all and getting Shudder and FilmStruck instead. Like, if I have two basically perfect cinephile networks, why would I want Blockbuster Streaming?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It's kinda dire, I'm seriously considering just saying gently caress it to it all and getting Shudder and FilmStruck instead. Like, if I have two basically perfect cinephile networks, why would I want Blockbuster Streaming?

I still keep Netflix around but I use Shudder and Amazon Prime way more often.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
For me, it's the original content that keeps Netflix relevant. I can justify the cost on the original stuff, especially the Marvel stuff.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
They make it pretty easy to unsubscribe for a few months. Take advantage of it! For the foreseeable future I'll probably be hopping around between various streaming providers because I can't justify paying for multiple services. I had Hulu a few months ago, currently on Netflix, and will probably switch to HBO Now in the near future. If you let the content build up you'll have a nice cache of stuff to watch when you switch back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

tweet my meat posted:

For me, it's the original content that keeps Netflix relevant. I can justify the cost on the original stuff, especially the Marvel stuff.

Yea I hate to admit that their tactic of focusing on original content is working on me, because I really do love movies and I've said for a while that if things keep going in this direction I'd drop my subscription.

They're really putting out a ton of good stuff though, and very regularly. Rarely does more than a week or so go by where I don't discover something new and interesting to watch that's a Netflix original.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Perennially I see people complain about Netflix but really I've never really understood it - Netflix always seems to have way more movies I want to watch than I could ever get around to watching. Right now, on my list, I've got 13th, Heroes of the East, Come Drink with Me, Real Life, Amadeus, The Host, Grizzly Man, About Elly, Carlos, Happy People, Melancholia, Snow on Tha Bluff, Meek's Cutoff, To the Wonder, Confusion Na Wa, The Hunt, Starlet, B for Boy, Charlie's Country, Hard to Be a God, The Immigrant, The Double, A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, October 1, Horse Money, Phoenix, Tokyo Tribe, Do I Sound Gay?, Goodbye to Language, The Look of Silence, Life Itself, Girlhood, Winter Sleep, Point and Shoot, Li'l Quinquin, Jauja, La Sapienza, The Duke of Burgundy, Two Days One Night, Housebound, Welcome to Leith, The Forbidden Room, Chuck Norris vs. Communism, Arabian Nights vols 1-3, Entertainment, (T)ERROR, and The American Side on my list, not to mention TV like A Very Secret Service, Out 1, The Get Down, Lady Dynamite, Louie, Rectify, Black Mirror, Southcliffe, The Spoils of Babylon, etc., plus the standup like Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special. And they add stuff all the time - anyone who hasn't seen Boogie Nights needs to watch it when it's added, for instance.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

tbh there's only two things on that list that I'm interested in and haven't seen before (I didn't know the Duke of Burgundy was on there).

I probably won't bother cancelling unless money gets tight since I don't really notice the $10 a month anyway but for $5 a month, Shudder has like ten times as much stuff I'm interested in watching, a lot of it pretty obscure.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Get on The Hunt. Such a good movie.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Netflix documentaries has been really good too. I keep talking myself out of cancelling just because of that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I hate to admit that their tactic of focusing on original content is working on me, because I really do love movies and I've said for a while that if things keep going in this direction I'd drop my subscription.

If only I could buy BoJack Horseman on Blu-Ray, I would have no problem dropping Netflix

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

K. Waste posted:

I like my Blockbuster streaming though :smith:

I also have Brown Sugar, Filmstruck, and Full Moon (don't judge me man!).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

david_a posted:

They make it pretty easy to unsubscribe for a few months. Take advantage of it! For the foreseeable future I'll probably be hopping around between various streaming providers because I can't justify paying for multiple services. I had Hulu a few months ago, currently on Netflix, and will probably switch to HBO Now in the near future. If you let the content build up you'll have a nice cache of stuff to watch when you switch back.

This man speaks the truth. Its not cable anymore! Don't pay for services you're not watching and experiment with all of them because they almost all give you a free month every year or six months. When i worked at netflix we were specifically instructed not to try to get people not to cancel, and you can also just do it online. You get the rest of that pay period to watch, and if you call and are nice can sometimes get it refunded.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

david_a posted:

I've been doing this for a while, bouncing from one subscription service to the other each month depending on personal whim and what's available. I get to watch everything and still only pay ten bucks a month.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I like my Blockbuster streaming though :smith:

I also have Brown Sugar, Filmstruck, and Full Moon (don't judge me man!).

How's Brown Sugar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If you're in for a movie like Difret or Mustang, Sand Storm is an Israeli film from this year with very similar themes you should check out on Netflix or wherever.