Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trumpenproletariat posted:

Everything I said was true and happened to me at work today...?

Sorry that I'm a member of the (admittedly rather small) urban white working class who is friends with lots of black urban working class due to my location and job i guess?

Most of your recent posts are in the 'liberal tears' thread gloating about the victory of an open white supremacist. Forgive us for being a mite suspicious of your angle here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BeanBandit posted:

I don't think I did that, man. If I did, I sincerely apologize.

Thank you very much, but could you apologize to tiny bronto, not me? I don't really think you wronged me?

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I got a ride home from work from a white coworker today under similar circumstances (rain in LA, aka the apocalypse)

:unsmith:

Oh poo poo, I was calling some lady in California a day or two ago and she told me she was too busy preparing her drainpipes clearing out leaves and stuff for the coming storm. So it must be pretty bad out there!!

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Darth Walrus posted:

Most of your recent posts are in the 'liberal tears' thread gloating about the victory of an open white supremacist. Forgive us for being a mite suspicious of your angle here.

I'm not really a fan of illegal immigrants because they're illegal, and most of them don't speak english.

I like black americans a lot. They speak english and are generally culturally and politically integrated into American society. Trump spoke pretty regularly about quite a few issues that would benefit black people, such as ending outsourcing and illlegal immigration (which disproportionately impacts the black working class), rebuilding our inner cities, and has spoken for years about ending racist drug legislation that only serves to send black people to jail as serf labor - and in his campaign about legalizing medical marijuana and giving states the rights to choose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJRY8G2hv9g

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

stone cold posted:

Thank you very much, but could you apologize to tiny bronto, not me? I don't really think you wronged me?

No. Nope. As a PoC, I really want to respect Tiny Bronto's posts, but she doesn't deserve it. Her posts aren't genuine, respectable arguments. She just flips the gently caress out and acts like a lunatic online. Nobody respects her. She's worthless.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Tell us more about black people's need to be respectable :allears:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BeanBandit posted:

No. Nope. As a PoC, I really want to respect Tiny Bronto's posts, but she doesn't deserve it. Her posts aren't genuine, respectable arguments. She just flips the gently caress out and acts like a lunatic online. Nobody respects her. She's worthless.

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Who the gently caress are you to call someone worthless because you don't like how they post?

Oh and sorry but people do respect her, even if you don't.

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot
Working-class Black and White Americans have much more to stand in solidarity together with than some ridiculous notion of a universal "people of color"

http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2010/02/how_illegal_immigration_hurts_black_america/

Working class black and white americans suffer the most from globalization, from illegal immigration and from the constant influx of drugs over the border with Mexico. We are natural allies with the same language and what is at this point a shared culture and history.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Trabisnikof posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Who the gently caress are you to call someone worthless because you don't like how they post?

Oh and sorry but people do respect her, even if you don't.

I'm not calling her worthless, but the way she responds to people is to denigrate and disparage anyone who has an opinion that differs from hers. gently caress that, and gently caress her.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BeanBandit posted:

I'm not calling her worthless, but the way she responds to people is to denigrate and disparage anyone who has an opinion that differs from hers. gently caress that, and gently caress her.

There's "having a different opinion" and then there's "you came into this thread making GBS threads it up" and sadly dude, you are very much in the latter.

Going after TB and only TB when most of us share the same opinions is kind of sus as gently caress

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Working-class Black and White Americans have much more to stand in solidarity together with than some ridiculous notion of a universal "people of color"

http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2010/02/how_illegal_immigration_hurts_black_america/

Working class black and white americans suffer the most from globalization, from illegal immigration and from the constant influx of drugs over the border with Mexico. We are natural allies with the same language and what is at this point a shared culture and history.

You know, I'm reading a history of Detroit from an urban planning perspective, and this is complete and utter bullshit. Everything that is wrong with Detroit, from the historical race riots to the destitution today, is because of white people being assholes to black people. Hate strikes, redlining, mayors being voted in for two decades running on a platform of keeping their town "lily white", lovely white landlords exploiting black people and charging them double the rent they do white people because black people literally had no other options, and a whole heap more racist poo poo. So no, don't come with your "shared culture and history". You may as well say that slaves and slave owners in the South had a "shared culture and history".

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

BeanBandit posted:

Apologies, but from your name would I be correct in assuming that you are of the Hispanic persuasion?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You know, I'm reading a history of Detroit from an urban planning perspective, and this is complete and utter bullshit. Everything that is wrong with Detroit, from the historical race riots to the destitution today, is because of white people being assholes to black people. Hate strikes, redlining, mayors being voted in for two decades running on a platform of keeping their town "lily white", lovely white landlords exploiting black people and charging them double the rent they do white people because black people literally had no other options, and a whole heap more racist poo poo. So no, don't come with your "shared culture and history". You may as well say that slaves and slave owners in the South had a "shared culture and history".

Oh I'd say they have the same history, just different sides of it, namely; the oppressed and the oppressor. To be fair that might be a bit more of a "potay-to po-tah-to" thing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

You may as well say that slaves and slave owners in the South had a "shared culture and history".

I think that's what he was saying. He does, after all, want to make America Great Again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

He's a Trump supporter poo poo-stirring hard. Report and move on. Read his post history if you must.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

teen witch posted:

Anyway, back to the actual subject of the thread: did anyone think Roof would not be convicted? Like you'd need to be doing some stretching for a hard rear end reach of him being not guilty.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, hope is a lie and I know that bowl cut motherfucker is going to get away with a slap on the wrist for something.

Well, there wasn't video, so absolutely I expected him to be found innocent. If you can get a hung jury when you're on video dead to rights shooting a black man in the back a bunch of times and planting evidence, then all bets are off.

Hahahaha what the gently caress is this poo poo?

You really think you're gonna get black people on board with your whole "hey, we're done making you the underclass if you help us gently caress over x race?"

Sorry, most black people aren't interested in becoming the Ben Carson to your Donald Trump. We seen how white America operates and how little it can be trusted. Hell, there's never even been a formal apology for slavery (but someone please tell me more about how Obama is the first black president and not the first biracial president) and yet we're supposed to help y'all get rid of what y'all deem undesirables?

negromancer fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 16, 2016

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Apologies, but from your name would I be correct in assuming that you are of the Hispanic persuasion?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hahaha jesus loving christ

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BeanBandit posted:

hahaha jesus loving christ

Only hispanics eat beans I guess. They have never been a staple food anywhere else ever, and no other cultures like beans.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

Well, there wasn't video, so absolutely I expected him to be found innocent. If you can get a hung jury when you're on video dead to rights shooting a black man in the back a bunch of times and planting evidence, then all bets are off.

I was pretty confident he was going down because he's an angry loner that no one is going to cry over. Cops and militia-loving white people are groups who can cause problems if upset, and so keeping them happy is far more important than dealing with racism. But Roof was the kind of angry loner stereotype that no one really identifies with, which means he's an easy trade-off for some "tough on bigotry" political capitol.

Also, did some kind of bat signal go for people who never comment on the thread to suddenly show up and talk poo poo about the bigger contributors?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

negromancer posted:

Only hispanics eat beans I guess. They have never been a staple food anywhere else ever, and no other cultures like beans.

Have you heard about those slanty eyed easterners who eat rice all the time?

Weird!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

there wolf posted:

I was pretty confident he was going down because he's an angry loner that no one is going to cry over. Cops and militia-loving white people are groups who can cause problems if upset, and so keeping them happy is far more important than dealing with racism. But Roof was the kind of angry loner stereotype that no one really identifies with, which means he's an easy trade-off for some "tough on bigotry" political capitol.

Also, did some kind of bat signal go for people who never comment on the thread to suddenly show up and talk poo poo about the bigger contributors?

Like it's a slam dunk perfect straw racist for white people to look at and say "SEE WE DID SOMETHING ABOUT HIM!!!! WE SOLVED RACISM!" and ignore the thousands of other times any sort of justice was denied.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Trabisnikof posted:

Ta-Nehisi Coates has a new long form reflecting on Obama that is a good read for those who missed it and are interested: http://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/508793/

This is a really good read and shouldn't be overlooked because of the derails.

Here's a relevant bit that goes to an earlier discussion in this thread:

The article linked above posted:

Tometi noted that some other activists allied with Black Lives Matter had been planning to attend the meeting, so they felt their views would be represented. Nevertheless, Black Lives Matter sees itself as engaged in a protest against the treatment of black people by the American state, and so Tometi and much of the group’s leadership, concerned about being used for a photo op by the very body they were protesting, opted not to go.

When I asked Obama about this perspective, he fluctuated between understanding where the activists were coming from and being hurt by such brush-offs. “I think that where I’ve gotten frustrated during the course of my presidency has never been because I was getting pushed too hard by activists to see the justness of a cause or the essence of an issue,” he said. “I think where I got frustrated at times was the belief that the president can do anything if he just decides he wants to do it. And that sort of lack of awareness on the part of an activist about the constraints of our political system and the constraints on this office, I think, sometimes would leave me to mutter under my breath. Very rarely did I lose it publicly. Usually I’d just smile.

He laughed, then continued, “The reason I say that is because those are the times where sometimes you feel actually a little bit hurt. Because you feel like saying to these folks, ‘[Don’t] you think if I could do it, I [would] have just done it? Do you think that the only problem is that I don’t care enough about the plight of poor people, or gay people?’ ”

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Eh, I don't believe that. The president managed to throw a bone to every group but black people. He did in fact, help gay people, by pushing through marriage equality. He can push that through but he can't get behind a podium as the president of the US and issue an apology on behalf of the government for slavery, Jim Crow, etc etc?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama didn't push through marriage equality, it was a Supreme Court decision.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

negromancer posted:

Eh, I don't believe that. The president managed to throw a bone to every group but black people. He did in fact, help gay people, by pushing through marriage equality. He can push that through but he can't get behind a podium as the president of the US and issue an apology on behalf of the government for slavery, Jim Crow, etc etc?

It'd be a lie, and he knows it. The government as a whole isn't sorry, and so long as conservatives exist, it never will be.

Hell, there'd be a senate & house resolution to deny involvement with the "Obama apologies," within the hour.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

It'd be a lie, and he knows it. The government as a whole isn't sorry, and so long as conservatives exist, it never will be.

Hell, there'd be a senate & house resolution to deny involvement with the "Obama apologies," within the hour.

And that's fine, but it would be good to show that no, white America did not honestly see anything wrong with those things, and to have that in writing TODAY would really help poo poo up white liberals and their "the world is getting better" nonsense that makes them think they can sit on the sidelines.

Plus a formal apology then opens up a whole lot of doorways for some sort of reparations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

And that's fine, but it would be good to show that no, white America did not honestly see anything wrong with those things, and to have that in writing TODAY would really help poo poo up white liberals and their "the world is getting better" nonsense that makes them think they can sit on the sidelines.

Plus a formal apology then opens up a whole lot of doorways for some sort of reparations.

That apology actually was issued by Congress in 2008, but nobody cared then, why would anyone care now?

EDITED: for a direct link to the resolution on congress.gov

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 16, 2016

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

That apology actually was issued by Congress in 2008, but nobody cared then, why would anyone care now?

EDITED: for a direct link to the resolution on congress.gov
I hope I'm not butting in, but according to this article from The Root, that apology actually never made it out of Congress. Both houses passed a version of an apology, but they never agreed on a single version:

quote:

Five years ago this week, just months after President Barack Obama took office, the Senate unanimously passed a resolution apologizing for slavery. The Senate acknowledged “the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality and inhumanity of slavery” and apologized “to African Americans, on behalf of the people of the United States, for the wrongs committed against them and their ancestors who suffered under slavery.”

The House of Representatives had passed a similar measure the previous year. But Congress could not resolve the two apologies because of differing views on how the resolution would be used in any discussion of reparations. The Senate version was insistent that an apology would not endorse any future claims. The House could not agree. Significantly, the office of the president of the United States has never issued an apology.

e: A little more newsy link, less op-ed: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article24544429.html

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 16, 2016

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
You guys treated TB like poo poo for no good reason and then called her "deranged" when she got mad at said treatment.

https://twitter.com/Complex/status/809788998688342016

Jay Z Is producing a documentary series about Kalief Browder, a teenager who was held for years in Rikers and later committed suicide due to the impact of being held in solitary for so long.

I remember hearing him talk about those experiences in the window when he was out. Solitary left very deep scars on him thay weren't necessarily visible on the surface.

I haven't seen Ava Duvernays doc on prisons. Should try to do that soon.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

Like it's a slam dunk perfect straw racist for white people to look at and say "SEE WE DID SOMETHING ABOUT HIM!!!! WE SOLVED RACISM!" and ignore the thousands of other times any sort of justice was denied.

Exactly. Roof fit the image of what we want domestic terrorists to be. He was such a blatant bad guy who did something so obviously terrible, that they tried to usurp the victim status for a more "worthy" group, Christians.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

I saw this article a few days ago and liked how it handled negromancer's stance on Obama's blackness. Coates doesn't deny Obama blackness, but does acknowledge that Obama has a disconnect from the general black experience, and indicates that that disconnect allowed him to be too trusting of American goodwill keeping Trump out of the office.

I'm white though so I'm definitely treading lightly here, trying to understand the whole thing. Will probably reread this over the weekend.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Pastrymancy posted:

You guys treated TB like poo poo for no good reason and then called her "deranged" when she got mad at said treatment.

https://twitter.com/Complex/status/809788998688342016

Jay Z Is producing a documentary series about Kalief Browder, a teenager who was held for years in Rikers and later committed suicide due to the impact of being held in solitary for so long.

I remember hearing him talk about those experiences in the window when he was out. Solitary left very deep scars on him thay weren't necessarily visible on the surface.

I haven't seen Ava Duvernays doc on prisons. Should try to do that soon.

"You guys" was one person. Thanks for the heads-up about the documentary though, I remember that story :/

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I believe that young man was featured in part of the 13th amendment documentary for a small section, so it is good that more people will hear about this.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

Exactly. Roof fit the image of what we want domestic terrorists to be. He was such a blatant bad guy who did something so obviously terrible, that they tried to usurp the victim status for a more "worthy" group, Christians.

To be clear, the mass media has never called him a terrorist in any sense of the word, nor has there been any declaration of his acts an act of terrorism.

Death Bot posted:

I saw this article a few days ago and liked how it handled negromancer's stance on Obama's blackness. Coates doesn't deny Obama blackness, but does acknowledge that Obama has a disconnect from the general black experience, and indicates that that disconnect allowed him to be too trusting of American goodwill keeping Trump out of the office.

I'm white though so I'm definitely treading lightly here, trying to understand the whole thing. Will probably reread this over the weekend.

Exactly this. I mean, how does one have a meaningful connection with the general black experience, when that usually entails, you know, being rasied by and around black people and black members of your family.

Cue suburban black people who define their blackness in the lens of white supremacy coming to call me the "arbiter of blackness".

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The black experience is mostly defined by the effects of white oppression and privilege, not the location of where you are black. I disagree with the entire premise and wish we would stop pursuing this poo poo every 20 pages.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

teen witch posted:

Anyway, back to the actual subject of the thread: did anyone think Roof would not be convicted? Like you'd need to be doing some stretching for a hard rear end reach of him being not guilty.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, hope is a lie and I know that bowl cut motherfucker is going to get away with a slap on the wrist for something.
I think you could predict the conviction based on the fact that the dominant narrative surrounding the case became one of mental illness pretty quickly. Shuts down any real discussion of racism and firmly puts Roof into the "them" pile. So the racism could be limited to Roof himself, while not reflecting on society because after all, he's crazy. Probably helped that this was a mass shooting, for which there's already a standardised mould meant to separate the individual from society and to make sure no lessons are learned.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fluffdaddy posted:

I believe that young man was featured in part of the 13th amendment documentary for a small section, so it is good that more people will hear about this.

Wasn't he mentally disabled as well? :smith:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

To be clear, the mass media has never called him a terrorist in any sense of the word, nor has there been any declaration of his acts an act of terrorism.

Well I could have said "the image of what we want angry lone gunmen to be" but the point still stands. Roof was someone who the establishment could afford to throw the book at because he's not someone people care about; it's easy to tar him as "the problem" and avoid having to actually address systemic racism.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

Exactly this. I mean, how does one have a meaningful connection with the general black experience, when that usually entails, you know, being rasied by and around black people and black members of your family.

Cue suburban black people who define their blackness in the lens of white supremacy coming to call me the "arbiter of blackness".

I guess it all comes down to the metric you use to define "a meaningful connection", because if you take Obama's own writings on the subject as true, it isn't as though he's unaware of his biases and living in a continual state of trying to make things better where he can (as one of the few people to get even a sliver of fingertip grip on the kind of influence to allow him to do so).

Sure, Obama came from an exceptionally privileged background that I doubt very many other black people in America can say they have shared. But that doesn't matter that much to White America, that will only ever see him as Black (and never heard very much about him until he ran for President).

I know that when it comes to making rapid, sweeping change in the country that doesn't count as much, but I think what Coates was getting at in the article is that while Obama was far from perfect, and made some mistakes that are resulting in some side/backsteps in the progress made so far, he's still very much a historical figure in the evolution of our country.

I mean, why else would Coates close his article with this paragraph?

quote:

And I also knew that the man who could not countenance such a thing in his America had been responsible for the only time in my life when I felt, as the first lady had once said, proud of my country, and I knew that it was his very lack of countenance, his incredible faith, his improbable trust in his countrymen, that had made that feeling possible. The feeling was that little black boy touching the president’s hair. It was watching Obama on the campaign trail, always expecting the worst and amazed that the worst never happened. It was how I’d felt seeing Barack and Michelle during the inauguration, the car slow-dragging down Pennsylvania Avenue, the crowd cheering, and then the two of them rising up out of the limo, rising up from fear, smiling, waving, defying despair, defying history, defying gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
There's a lot to be said about black kids seeing someone that looks like them become the President, and that means a lot.

But I'm not a little kid, so I have different expectations.

• Locked thread