Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Wickerman posted:

It could be months, really. Everyone is certain that this is the complete/official OTA, but no one is 100% certain that this isn't a leak from someone getting a soak test, or if they're really rolling it out.

You can install this update without unlocking the bootloader if you want. Do the following:

Completely back up your contacts, pictures, music, and videos. You'll need to do a factory reset after the update. If you are utilizing device encryption, you MUST MUST MUST perform a factory reset before proceeding any further or you will potentially brick your device. This has to do with bootloader shenanigans that aren't really relevant to explain here.

Download the update here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQJqGBWW9ViUWlrUU84UldxVWM

Download and install Minimal ADB/Fastboot here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=385035244224386526

Activate Developer Options in your Droid Turbo (Go to About Phone --> tap on the build number until a pop-up tells you that you are now a developer)

Go into Developer Options in your DT and tick on USB Debugging.

Put the update zip file in C:\.

I hope you're using a Windows machine because I probably can't give you instructions from here on a Mac (without testing it on one.)

Start Menu --> In the search for box, type "cmd" and open the program that comes up.

Type "cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\" without the quotation marks. Then type "adb devices" and tick the always trust box that pops up on your phone. Retype "adb devices" and it should give you a slightly different output (that says device instead of another word.)

Now, type "adb push C:\Blur_Version.23.21.49.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US.zip /sdcard/" and it should hang for a little while, then tell you xxxxkb to xxxxkb or something like that.

Then type "adb reboot recovery" and you will eventually get a little android guy with a question mark. Then press and hold the vol up button until recovery menu appears. Select update from zip with the volume arrows and the power button, then select the Blur-etcetcetc.zip. Then reboot and it should boot into MM. You'll want to perform a complete factory reset at this point.

Sorry for the off-topic, kinda.

This is a great walkthrough. Thank you so much for putting it together! I'll work on doing this tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Sure thing. I'm throwing in a few extra little updates for completeness sake, so when you do this tomorrow look at my post instead of your quote. Also, you can PM me if you have questions or something isn't looking quite the way it should, as per my explanations. I should be able to respond relatively quickly.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jesus Christ I'm glad I own an iPhone and don't have to deal with that bullshit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You don't if you are on Android either. Just wait for the update to actually come out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You don't if you are on Android either. Just wait for the update to actually come out.

Unless you want the update the same day it's released by Google.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Verizon pushed 7.1.1 to Pixels today, same as Google.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

FCKGW posted:

Jesus Christ I'm glad I own an iPhone and don't have to deal with that bullshit.

Not to stir up any debate, but with Android at least you have custom ROM options as opposed to Apple, when they decide they won't update your device any longer and you have to get a new device to be up-to-date.

For as long as that was to type out, actually doing the tasks won't take very long at all. Most of the things are just housekeeping ie: downloading drivers, enabling dev mode, making sure adb works, etc. Those are one time things, as once you have done them once you probably won't need to do them again.

XIII posted:

Verizon pushed 7.1.1 to Pixels today, same as Google.

Thanks for this! I didn't even get a notification, but an update check shows it's there.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Also for all those who care, the new 7.1.1 update for VZW Google Pixels patches the DePixel8 exploit that can be used to unlock the VZW Pixel bootloaders. If you care to unlock your bootloader, you should not take the update until you do so. And only take the update post-unlock with stock recovery reinstalled.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Wickerman posted:

Sorry for the off-topic, kinda.

Don't be sorry at all. That was all excellent info. Thanks for posting!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Today I woke up, went to work, came home, and never thought about whether my iPhone boot loader was unlocked or not. A good day.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duckman2008 posted:

Today I woke up, went to work, came home, and never thought about whether my iPhone boot loader was unlocked or not. A good day.

Same, but with my Pixel. Like 99% of all phone owners don't know what a bootloader is, I'd wager. And the ones that do, only like 5% of them give enough of a poo poo to do anything with it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

Same, but I have the choice to.

A man chooses, a slave obeys

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

this isn't real

this isn't real

this isn't real

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hey cool the Apple trolls are in the Android thread again.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
what have i done

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wickerman posted:

Not to stir up any debate, but with Android at least you have custom ROM options as opposed to Apple, when they decide they won't update your device any longer and you have to get a new device to be up-to-date

The latest iOS release has support for all iPhone for the past five years. Apple provides pretty good OS support, much better than the carriers for android.

kensei posted:

Hey cool the Apple trolls are in the Android thread again.

This is the Verizon thread duder. This is sovereign territory.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 6, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FCKGW posted:

This is the Verizon thread duder. This is sovereign territory.

I think you mean neutral. Droids and iPeople are both welcome in Verizoblanca. Or Switzeron.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think we can all agree that Windows Phone users can gtfo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FCKGW posted:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

FCKGW posted:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey they brought back the "get an iPhone 7 or Pixel (e: or Galaxy 7) free with a qualifying trade in" deal. But you can also get either phone for $10/mo with no trade in at all.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 15, 2016

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey they brought back the "get an iPhone 7 or Pixel (e: or Galaxy 7) free with a qualifying trade in" deal. But you can also get either phone for $10/mo with no trade in at all.

My Droid Turbo is showing it's age and I am thinking it is time to upgrade. If I do the $10 a month and pay it off immediately ($240) would that clear up the device payment plan? Just to make things more confusing I have Unlimited Data I am trying to keep (I might jump ship to Project Fi but I want the best price for a Pixel I can get).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No. The deal is a monthly credit. For example, with a base iPhone there's a monthly charge of $27 and a credit of $17. The credit goes away when the device payment plan ends.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

after my phone shut off showing 50% battery a couple times today i jumped on that deal, thanks.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No. The deal is a monthly credit. For example, with a base iPhone there's a monthly charge of $27 and a credit of $17. The credit goes away when the device payment plan ends.

Ah that sucks, I missed out on that sweet best buy deal and was hoping this was similar. Thank you for the information.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wait, from what to what?

Also, I hate it too, but $49.99 for 'unlimited' (or ~100GB before a nastygram) is still a good deal. I just wish they'd offer ULD customers a "100GB for $49.99 for Life" plan.

I still can't find hard and fast numbers regarding that 100gb cap. Also if you pay an extra $30/month for tethering I still can't find what equates to this nastygram.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Hey Duckman/anyone else: Is the 6P valid for any of these Pixel tradein deals? I'd assume not, but stranger things have happened.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Hey Duckman/anyone else: Is the 6P valid for any of these Pixel tradein deals? I'd assume not, but stranger things have happened.

It's not listed in any of the promos, probably because Verizon just pretends that phone doesn't exist for the most part. Good question since it should be.

Honestly though, you're getting a Pixel on discount, for example like $240 ($10 a month for 32GB without trade in). Worst case just sell online.

And yeah, those promos are correct and start today. $10 smartphones, no trade in required, pretty good promo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No. Offer is right on the front page, and the See Offer Details link shows:

iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
Galaxy S7
Galaxy S7 edge
Galaxy S6
Galaxy S6 edge
Galaxy S6 edge+
Galaxy Note5
Droid Turbo 2
LG G5
LG V10

Pixel 32GB for free
Pixel 128GB for $4.17/mo

But again, $10/mo with no trade in isn't free but it's a great deal if the conditions suit you. Especially since it looks like you can get at least $300 for a 6p on swappa.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Unless they're giving you over $300 for a 6p trade-in you will come out ahead selling it online.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I'm getting off my parent's Verizon plan and had a few questions. I want to go ahead and do the Pixel deal and want to also transfer my number over. How would that work if I signed up for the plan now? Would Verizon send me the phone on the 11th (when it's supposed to be back in stock) and as soon as I activated it, I'd start getting billed for it? Do my parents need to end my line on their plan as well?

I would go to the Verizon store but I've been working a lot lately.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Recommend going to the store despite the inconvenience because they can give it to you, sans shipping woes and you can usually get activation fees waived ($20).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But again, $10/mo with no trade in isn't free but it's a great deal if the conditions suit you.
At that point it's pretty much the equivalent of a 2 year contract, except you don't have to pay the $250 up front.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The $10/mo deal is just a good deal. At any point you can pay off the balance and own the phone and there's no penalty, just the remaining principal. After a year, you'll have received $204 in credits so if you pay it off to upgrade, you only spent $445 on the Pixel. I imagine they'll go for roughly $400 on eBay so you'll only have lost $120 on the phone altogether that year if you pay it off at that point.

It's a good deal in my opinion.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kitten smoothie posted:

At that point it's pretty much the equivalent of a 2 year contract, except you don't have to pay the $250 up front.
Yes, but also your monthly access fee is now $20, where back in the contract days it was $40.

I can understand why a lot of people might not like it, but yeah even if it's just a year you save $200.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I bought my Pixel the week before Thanksgiving with the intent of getting it while it was in stock, and then calling in later for a price adjustment to get the black friday deal.

Turned out for the adjustment they just put a $410 credit on my account on the spot, rather than putting me on the 24 month bill credit train. Not shabby at all.

So if you've bought a Pixel in the past two weeks it might be worth calling in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Speaking of monthly costs...I stupidly took advantage of the 20% off on a payment plan plus the trade-in incentive in the beginning of November, meaning I missed the BF/CM promos. I worked it out that a 32GB Pixel and a 128 Pixel XL would work out to ~$37 per month, but at the moment it seems to be full price. I thought I remembered one part of the deal was that the full monthly price had to be paid for the first month or two before the discounted rate kicked in? I just want to know whether or not I have to call Verizon and have the rates adjusted.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you're asking about a trade in deal, they seem to all say "credits start in 2 to 3 billing cycles". Here's how my wife's line worked: bought the phone last day of September. October and November got charged full price, in December they added 3 months of credits to our bill.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you're asking about a trade in deal, they seem to all say "credits start in 2 to 3 billing cycles". Here's how my wife's line worked: bought the phone last day of September. October and November got charged full price, in December they added 3 months of credits to our bill.

Got it. Good to know. I can stomach paying ~$37/month, but ~$60 is a bit steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I have a Google Voice number that I like a lot better than my VZW number. I'd like to port the GV number to VZW and port the old VZW number back to Google voice so it can forward to the new number. Is there a way to do this? I'm part of a larger business plan if it makes any difference - don't have the name of which particular plan that is but I can get it.

• Locked thread