Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

thrakkorzog posted:

Since Christmas is coming up. Does anybody have suggestions for what to buy a 5 a year old girl that already has everything, within a reasonable price range.

Difficulty: No Barbies or Legos allowed.

How about :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0545498562/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0545561663/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dogfish posted:

Utah went in the opposite direction and legislated a FIRING SQUAD as their plan B.

yeah Utah loves that poo poo, firing squads were their plan A up until 2004. The potential shortage of lethal injection drugs is just an excuse to bring it back.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

yeah Utah loves that poo poo, firing squads were their plan A up until 2004. The potential shortage of lethal injection drugs is just an excuse to bring it back.

i live in a death penalty state and frankly if i'd really done something to deserve it a pistol to the head would be preferable to gas, lethal injection or the chair

you go out quick and the executioner(s) have to see it

death penalty sucks because it has killed a lot of innocents but every governor should pull the trigger if they want to enforce it

e: if you're in washington state you have to watch dancer in the dark and not cry

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

syscall girl posted:

i live in a death penalty state and frankly if i'd really done something to deserve it a pistol to the head would be preferable to gas, lethal injection or the chair

Firing squad isn't a pistol to the head though, it's rifles and they aim at the heart. And one of them is randomly given blanks so no one is sure whether they fired the killing shot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

Firing squad isn't a pistol to the head though, it's rifles and they aim at the heart. And one of them is randomly given blanks so no one is sure whether they fired the killing shot.

well, vietnam did it best

but it's nice that the riflemen get a pass

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

What is the deal with those "I'm looking for X, can you please tag them" pictures? Like, I get that there annoying, but is that why everyone hates them?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ineptmule posted:

Can anyone explain the meme 'hosed up tiny horse'? I have seen it around the forums and tried googling the phrase but didn't find anything useful.

poo poo, I was around for ground zero of that story but I don't remember what it was actually about. It's an SA thing, at least.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thrakkorzog posted:

Since Christmas is coming up. Does anybody have suggestions for what to buy a 5 a year old girl

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I are buying a home

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Why did the guillotine go out of fashion, anyway? You can botch shooting, hanging, gassing, electrocuting and injecting, but it seems really, really hard to screw up "drop sharp heavy blade onto neck"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hyperlynx posted:

Why did the guillotine go out of fashion, anyway? You can botch shooting, hanging, gassing, electrocuting and injecting, but it seems really, really hard to screw up "drop sharp heavy blade onto neck"

Triggered the special snowflakes of the new aristocracy.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Science revealed that your still alive after getting cut off.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

you go out quick and the executioner(s) have to see it

death penalty sucks because it has killed a lot of innocents but every governor should pull the trigger if they want to enforce it

e: if you're in washington state you have to watch dancer in the dark and not cry

I like that nuclear weapon code plan that got tossed around decades ago. The president still has the dude with the suitcase following him around, but instead of the codes being inside the suitcase, they're in a capsule in the guy's belly and the suitcase contains a knife.

The idea being that the man who wants to brutally kill millions of people with bombs should have to brutally kill one person first.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tuyop posted:

I like that nuclear weapon code plan that got tossed around decades ago. The president still has the dude with the suitcase following him around, but instead of the codes being inside the suitcase, they're in a capsule in the guy's belly and the suitcase contains a knife.

The idea being that the man who wants to brutally kill millions of people with bombs should have to brutally kill one person first.

It's the people at the launch silos, on the submarines, in the bombers that actually have to make the decision to accept the order and do the killing though, so really you'd need thousands of dudes to be killed by the officers in charge on those things...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

It's the people at the launch silos, on the submarines, in the bombers that actually have to make the decision to accept the order and do the killing though, so really you'd need thousands of dudes to be killed by the officers in charge on those things...

Of all the shows that are being remade I can't believe we don't have Wargames: The Only Way 2 Win.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

syscall girl posted:

Of all the shows that are being remade I can't believe we don't have Wargames: The Only Way 2 Win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarGames:_The_Dead_Code

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

Why did the guillotine go out of fashion, anyway?

The only reason the French stopped using the guillotine was because they banned the death penalty entirely, in the 80's. Until that point, it was their primary method.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Not having seen that I can't tell if the wiki article is worse than the direct to video movie it's describing.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Baron Porkface posted:

Do people in Gibraltar or the Falklands have an accent or use now-archaic British phrases?

Everyone has an accent, mate.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Which is the best thread to go and ask computer related questions? My internet keeps breaking (I'm plugged in via ethernet) once or twice an hour and requires me to restart the PC to get it to work again. It gives me the god awful error of "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings" and then I'm stuck without internet until I restart.

It's been nonstop and is driving me insane. It used to only occur once or twice a week, but now it's happening every hour! Windows 10 is a pile of poo poo.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Loopoo posted:

Which is the best thread to go and ask computer related questions? My internet keeps breaking (I'm plugged in via ethernet) once or twice an hour and requires me to restart the PC to get it to work again. It gives me the god awful error of "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings" and then I'm stuck without internet until I restart.

It's been nonstop and is driving me insane. It used to only occur once or twice a week, but now it's happening every hour! Windows 10 is a pile of poo poo.

There's a whole subforum for that

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Actually it's a sub-subforum they're looking for.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651663&pagenumber=115#lastpost

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also it may be related to Microsoft breaking DHCP in a recent patch. Restart the machine (do not shutdown) and see if that fixes it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do services like LightSail and DigitalOcean have much of a compelling advantage over just hosting a VM at home, for personal programming projects, loving around and the like?

(e) Only thing I can think of is that I have a domain name so theoretically I could host something???

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 16, 2016

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Can anyone tell me what flavour(s) these are? The English sticker on the box just says "fruit lollipops" and they don't really smell like anything.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it normal to get lots of dips in your internet speed when downloading stuff?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I remember back in the 80s some TV shows were made by a company whose logo was a green tree made of horizontal scan lines. Does anyone know the name?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kurzon posted:

I remember back in the 80s some TV shows were made by a company whose logo was a green tree made of horizontal scan lines. Does anyone know the name?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBWJ0BS7Hgw

The Ladd Company

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Turtlicious posted:

Is it normal to get lots of dips in your internet speed when downloading stuff?

Yes, especially if the network is being used for multiple things at once.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone have any handy tip for reliving dental pain temporarily?

God drat molars god drat killing me.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

504 posted:

Bourbon

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Ill be trying "the beer solution" shortly

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Trastion posted:

What kind of cruel parents does this child have?

A 5 year old girl can be hard to buy for because they change their minds so quick at that age as to what is "cool" and not.

Something educational but still fun maybe? Something like this perhaps? Though that may be too advanced for a 5 year old still. But could be great for something a parent can do together with the child.

Thank you, that is exactly the kind of the toy I'm looking for for my genius niece.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 17, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

504 posted:

Anbesol or another such rub-on anesthetic can tamp down that pain until you can get to the dentist. You can get it at most pharmacies and supermarkets.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

504 posted:

Bite down gently on an aspirin until it dissolves.

Clove oil, available at drugstores.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I want to make a gif of an few seconds of a TV show I have in .flv. But I am on a mac so I can't use Gooncam. What can I do instead?

I also have photoshop cs6 if that helps

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
My Wireless network says 'connected, open' and has a little (!) next to it. Can someone give me a basic rundown of WEP keys and other necessary network security tips/steps I should know? I really don't think I would enjoy getting hacked.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sjs00 posted:

My Wireless network says 'connected, open' and has a little (!) next to it. Can someone give me a basic rundown of WEP keys and other necessary network security tips/steps I should know? I really don't think I would enjoy getting hacked.

Don't use WEP anymore, it's not 2005. Go into your router's manual or support website and look up how to switch it over to WPA2. Switching to WPA2 is all you need to do.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

fishmech posted:

Don't use WEP anymore, it's not 2005. Go into your router's manual or support website and look up how to switch it over to WPA2. Switching to WPA2 is all you need to do.

Thank you for the reply, I will take another look at it tommorow

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Business jargon: I'm puzzled by the term "as of." Comes up a lot in accounting and financial circles.

Is there ever a good reason to use it in place of "on" or "from"/"since"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Business jargon: I'm puzzled by the term "as of." Comes up a lot in accounting and financial circles.

Is there ever a good reason to use it in place of "on" or "from"/"since"?

In English, "since" is usually used to denote a time starting in the past and extending to the present: "He has been absent since last Monday."

"As of" usually refers to a condition beginning in the present and extending indefinitely into the future: "Dr. MacDonald will be Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology as of 1 January 2017."

"On" usually refers to a single, discrete date. "I will be out of the office on Boxing Day."

"From" is usually part of the phrase "from...to," as in "I will be at the conference from 27 February to 4 March," but occasionally is used to replace "as of," as in "Lauren will be managing this team from next Monday onward."