Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

PhotoKirk posted:

I thought it was built from the B-57?

They took an F-104 fuselage and put sailplane wings on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Gervasius posted:

Counterpoint - the most mediocre Viper of them all:

Ok, maybe one miss. That was designed to suck, though. Also lol at that tailpipe extension to cram that long-rear end engine in there.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

The F-5 is just such a gorgeous little bastard.

I read a fiction book written by a fighter pilot who had obviously been involved in testing for NG and they for reasons took a private squadron of F-20s over to the Arabian Peninsula and spanked all those big dumb F15s when war broke out between Saudia Arabia and Israel.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

tactlessbastard posted:

I read a fiction book written by a fighter pilot who had obviously been involved in testing for NG and they for reasons took a private squadron of F-20s over to the Arabian Peninsula and spanked all those big dumb F15s when war broke out between Saudia Arabia and Israel.

Warriors - not a bad book, I have it somewhere in a box.

https://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Barrett-Tillman/dp/0553287354

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PhotoKirk posted:

I thought it was built from the B-57?

English Electric modified the B-57 to fit the need, but failed they were lacking in altitude and range and only lasted 5 years.

Kelly Johnson's F-104 + more Kelly Johnson = U-2

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 16, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In boring aircraft news, an A320 ate a goose dinner and a bunch of passengers had overwrought reactions: http://www.rrstar.com/news/20161215/allegiant-air-flight-hits-geese-makes-emergency-landing-at-chicago-rockford-international-airport

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So Rockford ill

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"Chicago" Rockford airport.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is a seriously impressive shot

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Afraid of flying, chooses Allegiant :laugh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

This is a seriously impressive shot

Is it even actually a photograph?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Yep. Photographer got several where you can see the shockwaves. I don't know what kind of settings/equipment that requires but they did a bunch of gun runs with photographers closer than usual to get some sick shots.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

For some reason, quite possibly that I am a gigantic idiot, pics of Cold War Tacti-Golfs always make me really happy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Someone please post the photo of a perfectly pancaked F-16.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Safety Dance posted:

In boring aircraft news, an A320 ate a goose dinner and a bunch of passengers had overwrought reactions: http://www.rrstar.com/news/20161215/allegiant-air-flight-hits-geese-makes-emergency-landing-at-chicago-rockford-international-airport

That's got to be disheartening as a pilot. You go through all this training on how to handle the loss of an engine, and how to react in emergencies, etc. and then when it happens you have some whiny idiots whining about how they'll never fly again because it's just too gosh darn unsafe. :fuckoff:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

holocaust bloopers posted:

Someone please post the photo of a perfectly pancaked F-16.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

joat mon posted:

English Electric modified the B-57 to fit the need, but failed they were lacking in altitude and range and only lasted 5 years.

Kelly Johnson's F-104 + more Kelly Johnson = U-2

The WB-57 is still in service and occasionally makes trips to the mid-east to observe the "weather"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PT6A posted:

That's got to be disheartening as a pilot. You go through all this training on how to handle the loss of an engine, and how to react in emergencies, etc. and then when it happens you have some whiny idiots whining about how they'll never fly again because it's just too gosh darn unsafe. :fuckoff:

I'm especially fond of "Is this what the 9/11 people - is this how they left the world?" :negative:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Do you think the public, in general, has an appreciation for how safe aviation is? Like, the fact that a multi-engine aircraft can fly safely after the loss of a single engine, and that procedures exist to contain engine fires and/or electrical fires, and that sort of thing? Also, the incremental improvements in safety that happen after every single incident, to reduce the probability of the same thing ever happening again?

I feel like the "flying is the safest form of transportation, statistically" bit gets trotted out all the time, but that's only half the story. I rarely hear anyone outside the industry mention exactly how it comes to be that safe. Do you think if that were publicized to a greater degree, it would help? Or would the fact that there are designated procedures for pretty much anything that could go wrong worry people, because they just realized how many different things could possibly go wrong? Or is it all completely irrational and there's nothing we can do to help?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PT6A posted:

Do you think the public, in general, has an appreciation for how safe aviation is? Like, the fact that a multi-engine aircraft can fly safely after the loss of a single engine, and that procedures exist to contain engine fires and/or electrical fires, and that sort of thing? Also, the incremental improvements in safety that happen after every single incident, to reduce the probability of the same thing ever happening again?
Is that supposed to be a rhetorical question?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Education and knowledge help to a degree, but largely the public doesn't understand how planes work. I've gotten strong looks when I share anecdotes from my aircrew days and people are left wondering why I'd ever willingly step foot into a jet after some of those days. It's because, as I tell them, jets are profoundly capable and reliable vehicles. Redundancy, training, and incredible engineering are all to thank for that.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

https://www.jqpublicblog.com/air-force-releases-thunderbird-crash-report-whitewashes-obamas-role/

The accident report on the Thunderbird crash is out. Someone has already blamed Obama.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I regularly have to explain to aerospace engineering seniors at my school that no, quadcopters are not safer/more reliable than conventional helicopters, and we won't be seeing man-sized ones on the market anytime soon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

https://www.jqpublicblog.com/air-force-releases-thunderbird-crash-report-whitewashes-obamas-role/

The accident report on the Thunderbird crash is out. Someone has already blamed Obama.

Well Obama was the reason they were 30min behind schedule. The fault then lies with whoever didn't scrub the air show after the bingo fuel state. The Air Force of course managed to blame an enlisted person instead of an officer.

In the future under Trump they'll need the centerline, wing tanks and a tanker.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Do you think the public, in general, has an appreciation for how safe aviation is?

no

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PT6A posted:

Do you think the public, in general, has an appreciation for how safe aviation is?
Isn't passenger traffic constantly increasing? I think that'd answer your question.

That said, media loves them a spectacular disaster, and airliner disasters are always spectacular. Be it a mysterious disappearance, the poorly-covered up act of a military force misidentifying it with an enemy aircraft, a terrorist bomb, a suicidal pilot, or a plain old accident, you're guaranteed to hear about it a lot.

And so when there's a minor accident, such as a surprise engine inspection performed by a hapless bird, then people feel they need to make it worth the media's time because it can transmute an inconvenience into their 5 minutes of fame if they can appear on TV to tearily cry about how horrible it was and how traumatized they are. (Do you think those passengers who tell the reporters "it's a bit annoying but otherwise everything is fine" will be printed by the newspaper? Far too boring.)

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Part of the issue with public perception about aviation is how the progress appears. A safer plane appears as crashes which don't happen and incidents with a low impact. That will necessarily have a low impact on general public.

This is similar to how more efficient aircraft with higher usage rates appears to outside "informed" observers. The "informed" observer expects advances to appear as something flashy and ignores meaningful and gradual improvements in aviation aspects hidden to them.

Yet, for all the complaints, more people fly than ever. People do view aviation as reliable, through their revealed preferences.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

slidebite posted:

Is that supposed to be a rhetorical question?

No, I'm honestly curious. I think it's something that education could actually address (I dunno, maybe it's too nerdy), because the safety systems behind almost every aspect of the aviation industry are amazing to behold. gently caress, I've learned about another whole bunch of them I wasn't aware of since I started my CPL ground school.

I've also noticed that "pilots doing unsafe and stupid things in a poorly-filmed Cessna" is the new hotness for sitcoms for some reason. That can't be helping.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

One day Parker and Stone are going to do a two man stage show about pinnacle 3701

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

shame on an IGA posted:

One day Parker and Stone are going to do a two man stage show about pinnacle 3701

Reading your post just brightened up my whole drat day.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Sperglord posted:

Part of the issue with public perception about aviation is how the progress appears. A safer plane appears as crashes which don't happen and incidents with a low impact. That will necessarily have a low impact on general public.

This is similar to how more efficient aircraft with higher usage rates appears to outside "informed" observers. The "informed" observer expects advances to appear as something flashy and ignores meaningful and gradual improvements in aviation aspects hidden to them.
It's like that idiot disruptive BJSST paper someone linked earlier, he has a picture of an early 737 and a new 737 MAX or something and is like "see! 50 years and planes look exactly the same! where's the innovation?!" You know, aside from just about everything being different except for the most basic elements of the shape...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cat Mattress posted:

That said, media loves them a spectacular disaster, and airliner disasters are always spectacular. Be it a mysterious disappearance, the poorly-covered up act of a military force misidentifying it with an enemy aircraft, a terrorist bomb, a suicidal pilot, or a plain old accident, you're guaranteed to hear about it a lot.

The media report on things that are newsworthy. Common things are not newsworthy. Therefore you only ever hear fearmongering about stuff that isn't actually dangerous.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SPLAT

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

simplefish posted:

Why was it such an MX hog? It didn't have variable-geometry wings or anything, used a pretty standard engine, no pistons, and only 2 of em.

Was way to big to fly off a carrier, so landed hard and had parts fall off a fair bit. Was just 50's super-science complicated and finicky. That, and North American didn't really do a lot of carrier aviation, compared to the Grumman Ironworks and McAir, so probably a learning curve there as well.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Alereon posted:

It's like that idiot disruptive BJSST paper someone linked earlier, he has a picture of an early 737 and a new 737 MAX or something and is like "see! 50 years and planes look exactly the same! where's the innovation?!" You know, aside from just about everything being different except for the most basic elements of the shape...

What does this guy want besides the idiotic sst poo poo, flying wing passenger jets? I mean otherwise there isn't a ton of innovating left to do on the basic shape of an airplane. They aren't governed by aesthetics like cars are, and even then there has been convergence in shapes due to engineering requirements.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Slo-Tek posted:

Was just 50's super-science complicated and finicky.
There should be a list of these aircraft somewhere, with the F-104 at the top of it. Aircraft designed to meet performance standards that weren't actually feasible at the current level of technology and understanding of flight mechanics, but god-drat they went and did it anyway.

I have a big soft spot for these aircraft, mind you, but they're in that strange liminal space also occupied by super-cars and bleeding edge electronics. That is, it's an incredible testament to human ingenuity that it's even possible, but still a gigantic pain in the rear end to actually do anything with.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

There should be a list of these aircraft somewhere, with the F-104 at the top of it.

Not 1950s, but the MiG-25 needs a place on that list too.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Godholio posted:

Search youtube for AXALP. The Swiss do live-fire demo airshows up in the mountains, looks bonkers insane.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Alereon posted:

Yes, exactly that guy. Car shapes haven't changed significantly in 50 years either...

Though, you could make the argument that planes could become more fuel efficient, however those shapes have a bunch of operational downsides. (Who wants to do blade containment for an open rotor system?)

rscott posted:

What does this guy want besides the idiotic sst poo poo, flying wing passenger jets? I mean otherwise there isn't a ton of innovating left to do on the basic shape of an airplane. They aren't governed by aesthetics like cars are, and even then there has been convergence in shapes due to engineering requirements.

I've taken to reading his articles on airplanes, he has something new about supersonic jets right here:
https://blog.elidourado.com/how-to-legalize-supersonic-flight-over-land-deefff2dbdce#.8tw6gtkyg

I get the impression he has read about the N-wave shock wave and uses that one fact to sell the rest of his argument. About par for the course for a voxplaination article. (I went on Wikipedia so you don't have to!)

Then there's the problem of trying to build the Uber of the skies. The 'informed' observer wonders about swarms of small aircraft, but doesn't read about airplane efficiency decreasing with smaller planes. Nor, do they read the article that NASA has basically given up on large-scale battery powered aircraft for now, as battery technology has not developed as fast as needed.

This is the level of informed observation from outside aviation... No wonder people 'don't get it.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Besides cars haven't changed much either. They're still roughly rectangular, with four wheels, the engine in front, the driver and passengers in the middle, and some luggage compartment in the rear. And likewise, airliners are still a cylinder with blades sticking out of it to give it wings and a stabilizer.

And all the airport infrastructure is built to accommodate big winged cylinders, so if you arrive with your ~disruptive~ flying saucer or whatever enjoy having a lot of gratuitous trouble for doing elementary things such as letting passengers board and debark.