Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Somehow my tiny-rear end German hometown in the middle of nowhere has managed to become home to a great Ethiopian restaurant, hiding away in an unassuming side road, when you can't find any Ethiopian even in cities ten times the size. Apparently the owners had lived there for 30 years and eventually decided, let's open a restaurant. By a similar process there is also now one of the most authentic Thai places I've ever been to, wedged between hardware stores and a junkyard.

Well, at least we have decent Indian and good pho, so there's that. Also, one of the most amazing Thai places I have even been was in a industrial mall, next to a Kirby dealership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Snoo posted:

me, trying to eat less and lose weight: 👌👀👌👀 good poo poo go౦ԁ poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌poo poo right👌👌there👌👌👌

yessssssss I neeeeeeed thissssssssssss

Every time my boss makes me do a fake "demonstration" class for the Chinese government (to a class I have never seen, in a grade level I don't teach [and they lie about it anyways- "these are seventh graders!" Yeah, that explains why they're twelve feet tall and speak perfect English], at a school that does not employ me) I teach a lesson using this video of hot dogs being made: https://youtu.be/2NzUm7UEEIY. It's a fun psychology test- do they laugh because the meat goo looks like a shitpile, do they laugh because the hot dogs look like dicks, or do they just scream from disgust? It almost always horrifies the Chinese teachers sitting in.

Also, my husband finally let me order food to eat for the internet:

Thanks, McDonald's China!

We got the hot one. Is hot sangria a thing? I was so entranced by the awfulness of the idea that I kind of thought it would be all right.

It wasn't. It smelled exactly like Kool-Aid and tasted like "bug juice" with a smack of battery acid. I assume the "ALC" in the picture means alcohol, but I don't think there was any. It was an extremely confusing beverage. And a lot browner in color IRL than in the picture.

They're also boasting of a "Michelin-starred" burger with a slice of pineapple and BBQ sauce. I also tried this, and it is in no way deserving of a Michelin star. Or even a tire. It was just a bland, soggy burger with a thin piece of pineapple that got my entire face wet. The pineapple was thicker than the patty and greyish. Oh, and "BBQ sauce" is apparently ketchup.

e: whooooaaaa typos! Sorry, coming off a three-day migraine.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 09:44 on Dec 16, 2016

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9DAq8iLQ0

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tbh this is what happens when I get a really good burger it's just in a different place

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Somehow the Trump Bar has gotten worse at making martinis.

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/809472667506081792/photo/1

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

door.jar posted:

tfw I'm a better mixologist than the guy at Trump Tower

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

door.jar posted:

I guess that's what happens when your boss owns a bar but is a mix of a teetotaler and a terrible businessman

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't know what people are expecting from his restaurants other than generic overpriced poorly prepared food. He's not Gordon Ramsay, he probably hasn't cooked a meal himself in his life. I don't really consider his lovely restaurants as a mark against him since it's probably not significantly better or worse than any other hotel owner's attempt to brand their own restaurant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't know what people are expecting from his restaurants other than generic overpriced poorly prepared food. He's not Gordon Ramsay, he probably hasn't cooked a meal himself in his life. I don't really consider his lovely restaurants as a mark against him since it's probably not significantly better or worse than any other hotel owner's attempt to brand their own restaurant.

Donald Trump eats his steak well done. He buys expensive as gently caress meat for himself and can't even be bothered to eat it with flavor.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
*smushes face against your window*

BUT HE'S A BUSIBESSMAN

Don't you cucks know the way to make food even better is to put a critic of it in charge

Shaking my drat head here

Content: Was in St. Louis recently, what sort of pizza is this

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

a disgrace

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

somekindofguy posted:

Looks pretty homemade to me.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

somekindofguy posted:

*smushes face against your window*

BUT HE'S A BUSIBESSMAN

Don't you cucks know the way to make food even better is to put a critic of it in charge

Shaking my drat head here

Overcooked, and possibly vegan?

Stolen from the YOSPOS computer pictures thread:

http://globalnews.ca/video/3131226/leslie-hortons-holiday-treat-was-not-a-hit

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It just looks like a thin crust cheese pizza cut like an idiot would cut it. Otherwise perfectly fine though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

somekindofguy posted:

Receipt touching food makes me cringe a tiny bit but otherwise, eh it looks good (other than the dumbshit square cut).

Then again I grew up in the Midwest, so

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Square cut is good if you're feeding younger kids.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Isn't St Louis pizza that weird one made with a cracker crust and processed cheese?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Subjunctive posted:

Square cut is good if you're feeding younger kids.

Also if you are pizza is too big and loaded with toppings

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I prefer square cut for any pizza larger than 14 inches, but I also tend to get topping-heavy pizzas. Those inside, no-crust slices are fun.

:can:

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Dec 16, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I prefer square cut for any pizza larger than 14 inches, but I also tend to get topping-heavy pizzas. Those inside, no-crust slices are fun.

:worms:

I don't know I don't like worms on my pizza.

But maybe this is controversial and if so sorry for opening the :can:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't know I don't like worms on my pizza.

But maybe this is controversial and if so sorry for opening the :can:

Pfft, pussy.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

Isn't St Louis pizza that weird one made with a cracker crust and processed cheese?

Yeah, some blend called Provel I believe. It was okay I suppose, but I was raised on the New York style.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Megabound posted:

Given that the target market is PCOS Bill, job well done.

heh heh

somekindofguy posted:

i'm the rubbery texture of the cheese

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

door.jar posted:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Vanity Fair eviscerated the Trump Grill today.

Here's the Ivanka Salad and Don Jr's favourite "Filet Mignon".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Don't miss this, is great.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

After experiencing my family's tradition potluck style Thanksgiving in America, upon returning to The Netherlands my husband convinced his family to make Christmas diner this year potluck style as well. So, having purchased a bunch of cookbooks from the 60s on our trip, I figured what would be more appropriate to make our assigned potato dish from one of them? So today I picked a recipe from Sunset Magazines Favorite Recipes to test it out. And what the gently caress, I figured, maybe there's a good recipe for the cod we got as well.

Oh no

(ignore the red circle, I was highlighting it for someone else)

That's all the choices. Welcome to 1969 motherfucker, you get your fish in aspic or cheese or you don't get it all.

When you need your food to be handsome, and if not that, at least handy.

But maybe you're not one of them egghead chefs in an ivory tower. In that case, you need it to be easy.

Bonus: here's what I made

Apparently everything from back them was either made of puke or engineered to make you puke. Well, wish me luck. America's culinary reputation depends on it.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Bonus: here's what I made. Well, wish me luck.

Judging by the recipe, you made aggressively mediocre scalloped potatoes. I'm not sure how far a wish for luck would get you, if potato in bland cheese sauce is that loving far out there for you.

should have made the loving aspic, you weenie

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ralph Crammed In posted:

After experiencing my family's tradition potluck style Thanksgiving in America, upon returning to The Netherlands my husband convinced his family to make Christmas diner this year potluck style as well. So, having purchased a bunch of cookbooks from the 60s on our trip, I figured what would be more appropriate to make our assigned potato dish from one of them? So today I picked a recipe from Sunset Magazines Favorite Recipes to test it out. And what the gently caress, I figured, maybe there's a good recipe for the cod we got as well.

Title change: small glazed aspices

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was gonna ask whether that was the actual plural or a typo. One of them on that page is.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

OutsideAngel posted:

Judging by the recipe, you made aggressively mediocre scalloped potatoes.

Whoa buddy, did you not notice the WHOLE TABLESPOON of pimentos.

And they were aggressively serviceable as a potato dish; I'm not trying to steal the show here, just making a good side.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Their taco pizza is pretty darn good. I jumped at the chance to be the sandwich guy at the Casey's I worked at and had a blast. Free sub for lunch and I get to take home all the "about to go out-of-date" bread at the end of the day? Sign me the gently caress up!

Seriously, they're good subs, and I don't mean "for gas station food." I'll take one of them over Jimmy John's or Subway any day of the week.

At my last job, we would get the sandwiches for plant shutdowns. One of the perks of a lovely shutdown week was the free lunches. And the taco pizza is SO good! Ever have it with beef and chicken?

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Whoa buddy, did you not notice the WHOLE TABLESPOON of pimentos.

And they were aggressively serviceable as a potato dish; I'm not trying to steal the show here, just making a good side.

And a 1/4 teaspoon of pepper?!?!?! :supaburn: That's madness!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I heart bacon posted:

And a 1/4 teaspoon of pepper?!?!?! :supaburn: That's madness!

Jeepers, want some potatoes with your pepper?

Mid-century person: *smacks lips irritably* There's a salt somewhere in this house, isn't there?

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Dec 18, 2016

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Brawnfire posted:

Mid-century person: *smacks lips irritably* There's a salt somewhere in this house, isn't there?

A Minnesotan would have worked mayonnaise into the recipe somehow.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I heart bacon posted:

A Minnesotan would have worked mayonnaise into the recipe somehow.

I imagine all Minnesotan recipes call for either a mayonnaise- or Marshmallow Fluff-based matrix, in which variegated blobs of starch are suspended. And maybe, like, ONE celery rib, chopped veryvery fine.

e: I forgot canned cream of mushroom soup, probably also that.

e e: Does the USDA consider pimientos a vegetable, much the way tomato sauce on school cafeteria pizza is a vegetable?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

If they want to be really daring, a drop or two of tabasco sauce.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

And maybe, like, ONE celery rib, chopped veryvery fine.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

what the actual loving gently caress

I have insomnia, it is 5:40 AM, I am 90% hoping that I didn't just see anything that loving stupid

and 10% contributing to the thread, as I have put UHT (...right?) milk in my coffee and it is bad

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

e e: Does the USDA consider pimientos a vegetable, much the way tomato sauce on school cafeteria pizza is a vegetable?

My mom used to be a WIC coordinator. That's not even close to the most :psyduck: thing Americans think about food and nutrition.

Watching her debate with parents that the peanuts in Snickers did not make it count as a protein serving was just soul crushing.

I know you were talking about the USDA but the fact that we actively try to not teach people about food here is annoying as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Razorwired posted:

My mom used to be a WIC coordinator. That's not even close to the most :psyduck: thing Americans think about food and nutrition.

Watching her debate with parents that the peanuts in Snickers did not make it count as a protein serving was just soul crushing.

I know you were talking about the USDA but the fact that we actively try to not teach people about food here is annoying as hell.

Can you even buy a Snickers on WIC? I thought it had super strict rules about what you can purchase, like you can buy 2% milk, but not skim.

I wish your mom could do an A/T, that sounds like an interesting (albeit horribly depressing) job.