Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pull up! Pull up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus the internet is just a giant pit of stupid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chickenwalker posted:

Jesus the internet is just a giant pit of stupid.

A Sarlacc of Senselessness, if you will.

Edit: but is it the original Sarlacc or the Special Edition chompy Sarlacc???? :ohdear:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A Sarlacc of Senselessness, if you will.

Edit: but is it the original Sarlacc or the Special Edition chompy Sarlacc???? :ohdear:

Depends, which one belched?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just got out of Rogue One. For those curious, the Rebels stuff I noticed was
- A loudspeaker call for General Syndulla on Yavin
-I saw the Ghost in a space battle
-In the same battle, there was a Hammerhead Frigate

Also, it's a really good Star War. Go see it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Im sure whatever you just said is minor cameo stuff but I guess I gotta avoid this thread. Someone is eventually going to spoil R1 in here and I won't be able to see it for at least a week.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Im sure whatever you just said is minor cameo stuff but I guess I gotta avoid this thread. Someone is eventually going to spoil R1 in here and I won't be able to see it for at least a week.

Pretty much.

See you in a week or so, Rebels thread!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I guess we now know why they are called Hammerhead Cruisers.

Also:
"General Syndulla to the briefing room" :kimchi:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A few details on the upcoming few episodes, but the most important non-spoilery bit is that the season resumes on January 7th, 2017. Not a long wait!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

does the ghost fly around/dog fight or is it just basically seen once like in that trailer spot??

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

does the ghost fly around/dog fight or is it just basically seen once like in that trailer spot??

The latter, sadly.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Oh poo poo, I completely missed those references. Guess I gotta see the film again! :haw: (I really liked it)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

I couldn't help myself and moused over the spoilers. I'm trying to keep my personal hype at reasonable levels but that's really neat!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Of course, the one much less awesome thing they imported from Rebels was a CGI Tarkin :rimshot:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

You don't see the Ghost do much in the way of active combat, but I spotted it at least three times throughout the battle. They commit to it being present for the duration, at least

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It scores at least one TIE kill aa it flys past a window of a command ship.

Ghost is also on the upper left of the landing pad when you first see that on Yavin.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And apparently you see Chopper moving off screen (read that on reddit -- seeing it tonight!).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

And apparently you see Chopper moving off screen (read that on reddit -- seeing it tonight!).

That murderous little scamp :3:

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Vintersorg posted:

I can confirm this one.

I would love if in the future on Rebels we see the events of Rogue One through the perspective of the Ghost crew... or whoever among them is still around by then.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This movie would have been so much better if it was the ghost crew instead of the boring characters we got.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

This movie would have been so much better if it was the ghost crew instead of the boring characters we got.

Then they all would have died

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

MonsterEnvy posted:

This was depressing and violent enough without involving our small Rebel cell.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MonsterEnvy posted:

We don't know they made it out :(

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Someone should check the frames when the ships hyperspace out to see if the Ghost makes it.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
When I saw it this afternoon I looked for the Ghost jumping out and didn't see it, bit that really doesn't mean much. There's a lot going on at that point.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

We don't know they made it out :(

On the bright side, the Phantom's missing from the docking port from the moment they jump in. So it's even more possible that not all of the crew was onboard at the time of the battle.

One question that has been rolling around in my mind, however, is how the hell they are going to depict this in the show when we eventually get to ANH time? There's no way they have the budget without seriously compromising on the artistic side.

Tying into my earlier supposition, I'm putting my money into a bunch of the main cast on an adventure via the Phantom while the rest fly the Ghost into battle off-screen. A cop-out definitely, but a realistic one.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
They got James Earl Jones for season 2. I think they're gonna be ok.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw it. It picks up, but yeesh that first act and a half is rough. I think they shot themselves in the foot opting not to have a crawl because it could have provided a lot of the exposition those short, messy scenes at the beginning did. Would have given the rest of the movie more from to breathe. It did an excellent job with the action and a terrible job with almost everything but the droid's dialogue.

Also was that supposed to be Bast Castle? Pretty funny that Krennic did the equivalent of timing up at somebody's house when they don't have pants on.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm pretty sure Steve Blum voiced a bunch of stormtroopers in Rogue One like he does on Rebels, but for some reason it bothered me every time I heard him.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its pretty easy to simply imagine the show killing off Kanaan (dude's been marked for death since episode 1) and maybe Zeb. The rest of the crew will go on some magical mcguffin hunt that will conveniently keep them away for the length of the original trilogy.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its pretty easy to simply imagine the show killing off Kanaan (dude's been marked for death since episode 1) and maybe Zeb. The rest of the crew will go on some magical mcguffin hunt that will conveniently keep them away for the length of the original trilogy.

I heard they were talking about ending it after three seasons and switching focus. I absolutely hope they commit to killing all Rebel aligned Jedi prior to ANH though. And after watching Sicario last night I feel like the stuff about Benecio del Toro playing Ezra might be true. Killing Kanan is easy enough, but they can't kill both because it would be too dark; so at least one has to either switch sides, disappear, or be captured. Or they could go the completely retarded route and have light-side Force wielders running around at the same time the original trilogy is being all grim about "the last of the Jedi."

The thing about the new canon is this: it does a really good job of providing neat fan-servicy stuff like showing Bast Castle and Vader going to town on a squad of Rebels, gratuitous extended space and ground battles, etc. but it just doesn't seem to "get" Star Wars. Filoni's stuff is the best remaining by far because it's continuing a team and tradition with reverence to Lucas and the original material. A lot of this new stuff feels like enthusiasts jumping in and being able to do cool stuff they had always imagined and that other fans find awesome, but not having the knowledge or respect for the lore (and not having this stressed by Disney), so that it feels like a fan film all the time. And a lot of the heart and point of the movies seems to be lost, because there isn't this overarching vision of what the movie wants to say, other than "hey I'm a Star Wars movie."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I like how now that R1 is in the bag, killing most of the main characters of Rebels is a completely acceptable end.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Well okay then (post-break episode character spoilers)

Going from appearance alone it looks like they're perhaps sticking closer to the TCW characterization of Saw, but it's worth mentioning that he's missing the respirator. Maybe something happens down on Geonosis that A) injuries him enough to require one and B) drives him completely flipping crazy as to match with his R1 depiction.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 17, 2016

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm guessing when they first modeled him they hadn't added the hair in the movie yet. If you watch the first teaser for R1 he does his scenes without crazy old timer hair.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hera gets promoted and is now the Captain of the Medical Frigate or something, Sabine goes back to Mandalor, Zeb goes to the secret homeworld of his race, Kanaan dies. All those are easy, but Ezra is the hard one. Killing him, as was said, is too dark considering he's what, 16?

Though in Legends were were a fair number of Jedi that survived the purge, and new canon has a easy explanation of why some may have survived from Revenge of the Sith so it's possible that Ezra is still alive during the original trilogy. Maybe he just went back to his homeworld and lead the cel there or a million other options.

I always got the impression that Luke was the last hope of the Jedi not because he was the last Jedi or force user or something, but because Yoda and Obi-wan knew they hosed up, and the Jedi had become too entrenched in their creed, inflexible and not able to see the biggest threats. They knew Luke would be able to create a new Jedi Order that would not fall into the traps of the old, become to dogmatic, restrict it's members to much, because they would be aware it was the denial that created the obsession Anakin had that drove him ultimately to the Dark side.

This way Ezra doesn't have to die, and Ashoka doesn't either. If she didn't die from the fight from Vader at least.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Have vader kill him. His thirst for youngling blood is never quenched.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Hera gets sold by the Empire to Jabba. She's pretty prominent in the beginning of RotJ.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Though in Legends were were a fair number of Jedi that survived the purge, and new canon has a easy explanation of why some may have survived from Revenge of the Sith so it's possible that Ezra is still alive during the original trilogy.

What's the new explanation?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I imagine the finale will involve Ezra and maybe Kanaan going the "Jedi no more" route Ahsoka took. The show is putting a good bit of focus on that middle ground between Ahsoka and the Bendu, of serving the Force without being a Jedi. That they go off to study the Force as non-Jedi and help people instead of focusing on a coda or order like Luke does by wanting to revive the Jedi. It's still rather a cop out, since the original trilogy suggests he's bound to restore balanced Force use in general, not just the Jedi order, but it's a cop out they're already partially committed to since Luke is concerned with the first temple so I can see them going whole hog on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Ezra decides that his best path is teaming up with Hondo and the two of them go on many exciting capers for years to come...

• Locked thread