Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Bud Selig getting into the hall of fame makes me never want to watch a baseball game again.

he is one of the least egregious commissioner selections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Stop being a Kobe apologist

I didn't know that one, just that Shaq did that during the lockout before.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

I know I come off as sarcastic on the DMo love but this really loving bums me out

iospace posted:

I casually follow the Bucks, but when I found out that the new owners want to make the Bucks like the Packers are with their community, it made me want to follow a bit more.

In other news, the one person we wanted to hear from today:
https://twitter.com/GeraldBourguet/status/809557950641471488

I'm the dude with the big mustache recording using his phone

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 16, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
It does suck, hopefully he can fire BJ Armstrong and get his health back. Even though Morey is just the unfeeling slave of a higher machine intelligence, I don't think they would gently caress around with matching just to turn him down if there weren't some serious back issues.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Time posted:

I had the pleasure of meeting Craig Sager once. There was a group of us wounded army guys who would hang around all day at the basketball court while we were rehabbing at Walter Reed. It was basically all we had to pass the time. We would bullshit, then play a game. Bitch about our injuries, then play a game. It was the only time we ever felt like things were back to normal.

One of the guys everyone loved had broken both of his legs really badly in an IED blast. One day he didn't come in. A week passed and we figured he was just discharged to hospice or something and had just made an Irish Exit because he didn't want to say goodbye. About three weeks later he showed back up with his legs amputated. they just couldn't save them because they were broken beyond fixing.

This destroyed morale for about 15 minutes because all of a sudden Craig walked in. I almost didn't recognize him because he had khakis on. I mean, his sweater was pretty sager-esque but the khakis and shoes were all dad fashion. He joked with every single one of us for the whole afternoon. He played horse with my newly amputated buddy and wrecked him. On his way out he said if we ever needed anything, he would remember our names and get us into games. I never took him up on it but I really do believe he would have given me that ugly rear end sweater off his back.

Thanks again Craig. I just wish I had gotten to beat your rear end at horse. I had next

Ok after reading this I realized there was something in my eye, excuse me fellas

chunkles posted:

It does suck, hopefully he can fire BJ Armstrong and get his health back. Even though Morey is just the unfeeling slave of a higher machine intelligence, I don't think they would gently caress around with matching just to turn him down if there weren't some serious back issues.

Yeah they for sure wouldn't turn down his skillset in a D'Antoni offense if there wasn't something real there

loving sucks

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

chunkles posted:

Here's a cool Jonathan Simmons piece: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-weak-cannot-play-for-pop-155818335.html

He actually paid $150 for a D-League tryout. He has four daughters. That's crazy.
Yeah, it's great to have an enthusiastic dunker on the Spurs these days. Kawhi does it but he always just seems so bored.

I'm also really liking what Dedmon and Bertans have been bringing to the team. They've got some good on court chemistry too.

RIP to Craig Sager. Pop and KG's words on his death were touching. Lot of color left the world today. Are you okay 2016???

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/steve-kerr-leads-warriors-fans-in-moment-of-joy-sager-1790172753
I'm not crying, you're crying

:cry:

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 16, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/chrisvernonshow/status/809806433889959936

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Bucks PR people have been on point lately.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/809567690025271296

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Looks like players currently on rookie contracts will also be getting a raise:

quote:

While the rookie scale is shooting up by 45 percent next season, it leads to an obvious question: What about players currently on rookie scale deals who, because of when they came into the league, missed out on the scale’s dramatic increase? The league and union agreed to build in some increases to the current salaries to lessen the difference — though these increases will not be part of the salary cap figures for these players, which will remain as they already were.

In the 2017-18 season, all players under a rookie scale contract from the past three drafts (2014, 2015 and 2016) will see their salary increase for that season by 15 percent. In 2018-19, players still under rookie deals from the 2015 and 2016 drafts will see their salaries increase for that season by 30 percent. Finally, in the 2019-20 season, players in the fourth and final year of their rookie contracts will see their salary that season increase by 45 percent.

Some other good nitpicky details from Tim Bontemps here

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 16, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Warriors also did this and at least in the Bucks game so were the scorekeepers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

This is a pretty good article. Also, unless I am wrong, Durant is eligible for the new super Max contract when he hits free agency... as long as he signs with the Thunder.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iospace posted:

I casually follow the Bucks, but when I found out that the new owners want to make the Bucks like the Packers are with their community, it made me want to follow a bit more.

In other news, the one person we wanted to hear from today:
https://twitter.com/GeraldBourguet/status/809557950641471488

I like Pop more every time I hear from the guy. Great coach, great guy.

I also agree that the NBA is the most humanist league of the bunch. As a Canadian I love hockey but it disgusts me that Gary Bettman hopped on the CTE denial train alongside Goodell. Out of curiousity, did the NBA do anything in terms of mental health policy after the Royce White situation?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 16, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I have this pin sitting in my car right now. :( RIP Craig.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r13mJ-HyBFY

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

morestuff posted:

What exactly did the players concede in these negotiations?

Because its all coming up union

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They didn't call out the owners on their "we're losing money hand over fist" crap from the last lockout

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

I did a little bit of work for Michele Roberts before she left to head the NBPA. Would not be shocked by a good result for the players at all, she's incredible.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 16, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

All of those raises don't mean any actual new money. The BRI split is still 50/50. The owners as a whole are spending the exact same amount of money whether rookies are given a penny or their contracts are tripled.

These aren't concessions by the league, this is just cutting up the exact same pie in a different way. The only thing that might be outside that is the new retirement benefits, but I haven't seen where that funding is coming from.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

All of those raises don't mean any actual new money. The BRI split is still 50/50. The owners as a whole are spending the exact same amount of money whether rookies are given a penny or their contracts are tripled.

These aren't concessions by the league, this is just cutting up the exact same pie in a different way. The only thing that might be outside that is the new retirement benefits, but I haven't seen where that funding is coming from.

Retirement stuff is joint funding between the league and players union.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

I believe retirement and health expenses are coming out of the players share of BRI.

Have we heard anything about resolving some of the issues around how BRI was calculated? I recall hear a lot of stuff about the Knicks and deals between related parties.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Haha did Myles Turner go 11/14 (with a few fancy moves against AD) just to spite you or what

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I believe retirement and health expenses are coming out of the players share of BRI.

It's shared:

quote:

Health care packages for retired players, and increased benefits for current players, including a tuition reimbursement fund, will be co-funded by the union and by the league.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Have we heard anything about resolving some of the issues around how BRI was calculated? I recall hear a lot of stuff about the Knicks and deals between related parties.

Related parties and how luxury boxes are counted. Right now they are not counted at all (reason being a significant portion of the cost of a box goes back into amenities, meaning it is reasonable to calculate that differently, but today they are not counted at all).

Sounds like players are getting a little bit more (signage and Arena deal money) but other things aren't listed. Probably only able to get a few changes done at a time to avoid a stoppage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Players sponsorship money like shoe deals is not included in bri so you kind of have to consider that too.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

RCarr posted:

I have this pin sitting in my car right now. :( RIP Craig.

I wore it at work all day.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Which one of you is this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

OzFactor posted:

Which one of you is this

Are there people here that think Kobe was better than LeBron? (That aren't Lakers fans)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Spacebump posted:

Are there people here that think Kobe was better than LeBron? (That aren't Lakers fans)

Kobe was better at living the unexamined basketball life.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Whoever scored more points in a game is better. Wilt is #1 and Kobe is #2 all time. It's that simple.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Kobe was better at living the unexamined basketball life.

MAMBA OUT *ssssssssssssssssss*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

Whoever scored more points in a game is better. Wilt is #1 and Kobe is #2 all time. It's that simple.

So that's why Corey Brewer is getting paid so much

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Kobe stans--the NBA equivalent of people who share image macros about how Eminem is the GOAT

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'd be much more inclined to believe that was a goon if it was a long rant about how Jordan was roiding

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

OzFactor posted:

Which one of you is this

😭

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

euphronius posted:

Players sponsorship money like shoe deals is not included in bri so you kind of have to consider that too.

Boy is *insert mid to low level player here* happy that Lebron James and his billion dollar shoe deal aren't included in the BRI.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

OzFactor posted:

Which one of you is this

I would've thought that having hair was a prerequisite to having nappy hair

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

chunkles posted:

I would've thought that having hair was a prerequisite to having nappy hair

Um, read it again, it doesn't say hair.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/809902188982108166

Niko mad at being sat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I know it will upset the SAS hivemind but I stand with with Boatman56.

• Locked thread