Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This is what Scott Alexander actually believes is a fair portrayal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1F5mSEpK5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus poo poo I just heard Paul Bloom approvingly cite Scott.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Cingulate posted:

Is that a Milo avatar!?
IIRC he was hoping for Trump to destroy the US. I wonder how he secretly feels about the Bush 3.0 Trump is currently mutating into.

If the guy has any actual beliefs outside of hucksterism, he's done a real good job of hiding the evidence.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Question on HN: “… why does the order you do your math in have to be a part of your identity?”

quote:

Mostly that some of us have had very poor experiences with them while trying to mind our own business. It's like living next to a cult's compound, and therefore having more concrete bad experiences with them than someone in the next city.

In my case, an IRC channel that I previously enjoyed (relationship-related) was unofficially absorbed into LessWrong's network of channels. This resulted in people treating it as a meat market despite being asked not to, then a debate platform despite being asked not to, some refused the existence of trans people to their faces because they couldn't logic it out, we had one argue in favour of cheating in a channel that explicitly mentioned openness and honesty in the topic, they drat near had a riot if we ever dared ban one of them for being spectacularly awful, and they generally put the value of other people's emotions at close to 0 in their messed-up logic for interacting with the world. This carried on for months. Apparently after I left most of them were finally banned, though not before a good many of the less awful people in the channel left for good. This was the first major issue the channel had in four years of its existence.

More generally, many people don't enjoy conflict, and the LessWrong way of discussing anything seems to be to turn it into a two-sided debate. Even when you're trying to discuss who you think you are, turning it into you defending yourself from attack. The concept of having a constructive conversation, seems to have entirely slipped past them, never mind the idea that not everything has to be debated right then and there.

Unfortunately, this isn't just my experience - various others I've spoken to have come across exactly the same sort of thing. Hence the extreme dislike from some people. I'm not sure whether the community explicitly pushes this way of interacting with the world, or whether it just attracts assholes and gives them a "logical" reason to be assholes, though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Please stop slapfighting before I go Oprah with sixers.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
holy moly god drat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhrYY3ocQ5o

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Well, look on the left. It's totally real person Ron Swanson.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What did Vince Vaughn do, anyway?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
he's a libertarian, otherwise idk

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Scott Alexander: now with bad opinions about government.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

John Big Booty posted:

Wonder if they've ever read anything Nick Offerman has said about politics when he's not being Ron Swanson.

From Esquire, before the election:

quote:

I think unfortunately, for the democratic process, there's no logical or sane or moral choice to be made other than voting for Hillary Clinton. But I also think that if she were not a woman, we would not be in this boat. I think the election would be over already. And that's another sad thing, that a large reason there's so much anger and mistrust of her is because people are very reluctant to see the patriarchy topple. I am incredibly excited that the glass ceiling will be shattered. I mean, we've had our first black president and we'll probably have our first woman president. And of course we're going to go kicking and screaming as a nation into that, we would have it no other way. At the end of the day, we're all a bunch of big babies. But what an exciting accomplishment.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Wonder if they've ever read anything Nick Offerman has said about politics when he's not being Ron Swanson.

From Esquire, before the election:

Oh good I was worried Nick Offerman had some bad opinions and I was going to have to add him to my list of "people I think are funny despite being terrible otherwise"

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

John Big Booty posted:

Also... Vince Vaughn??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I am always amazed at how readily people buy the "spending the Soviet Union into bankruptcy" line.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

CrazyLittle posted:

Also... Vince Vaughn??
He's a loud libertarian irl, it fits with the "minarchism" thing

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Reductress: Why I Stopped Calling Them the ‘Alt-Right’ and Started Calling Them ‘My Brother’s Friends’

quote:

When we use the name “alt-right,” we acknowledge the legitimacy of their ideas as a new political faction, instead of what it always has been: my brother’s dumbass friends being racist fuckers. Saying “alt-right” distances the situation, making it seem like a valid political system we must respect. In truth, it’s just Pete, Jack, and Carson getting drunk on Bud Light, feeling insecure about their romantic or job prospects, and trying to make themselves feel big by talking about “real America.” By calling them my brother’s friends, I am undermining their power and talking about them on my terms.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

Wonder if they've ever read anything Nick Offerman has said about politics when he's not being Ron Swanson
Most likely the depth of alt-right research into Parks and Rec characters is as limited as their research into the IRL TV characters they love (-> Trump) - you can probably murder an alt-righter by tying them to a chair and playing a DVD of season 4 twice.
Probably goes even faster just playing every scene Donna talks in.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still feel shocked whenever I come across DE/internet alt-right/"grey tribe younglings" stuff in places other than this thread, but it's becoming more and more normalized. Even my leftist US friends from Berkley commented on Scott's "Crying Wolf" discussion of Trump. Still, for now I feel a shiver whenever I see an indication of Overton window shift-indicating semi-mainstream discussions of these people. This includes Brian Leiter's blog about "Still Crying Wolf":

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2016/12/crying-wolf-about-trump.html

Leiter posted:

Several readers have pointed out this piece trying to debunk the idea that Trump is a white supremacist, a racist, an anti-gay bigot, etc. The author limits the evidence considered to events during the campaign, ignoring longer-term evidence of Trump's "casual racism" (as I originally called it), but if you read on, he doesn't really deny the causal racism. But I agree that Trump is not ideologically committed to white supremacy, let alone anti-semitism or anti-gay bigotry etc.: this is partly because, as Chomsky remarked, he has no discernible ideology at all, being too ignorant and shallow to have such commitments. Unfortunately, he has now surrounded himself with some ideologically (meaning, religiously) committed anti-gay bigots, and perhaps worse. But the author does make one very good point, that is worth quoting:

'I don’t think people appreciate how weird this guy is. His weird way of speaking. His catchphrases like “haters and losers!” or “Sad!”. His tendency to avoid perfectly reasonable questions in favor of meandering tangents about Mar-a-Lago. The ability to bait him into saying basically anything just by telling him people who don’t like him think he shouldn’t.

If you insist that Trump would have to be racist to say or do whatever awful thing he just said or did, you are giving him too much credit. Trump is just randomly and bizarrely terrible. Sometimes his random and bizarre terribleness is about white people, and then we laugh it off. Sometimes it’s about minorities, and then we interpret it as racism.'

For reference, Leiter's blog has been the most-read philosophy blog since forever and has for the past month mostly consisted of him being extremely upset about you know what and calling people neo nazis.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

And here he was a week ago with some bad ideas about history. In which he proves civilization actually is in decline, especially if you define civilization as barbarism.

I think he displays some of his reactionary undercoat, too, with his conception of history that seems about as shallow as Sargon or random DE dweeb or 15 year old. Like, I don't think Spartan > Crusader > Frontiersman > Office Worker is really a string of orange-to-orange comparisons and is a remarkably stupid way to make an argument about historical trends, even for Scott Alexander.

Maybe he has dumbed himself down by over-empathizing with stupid bigots all the time.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Scott Alexander posted:

I mean, really. If, like Nietszche, your thing is the BRUTE STRENGTH of the valiant warrior, do you think that the modern office worker has exactly as much valiant warrior spirit as the 19th century frontiersman?

What a dummy. What is it about Nietzsche that causes him to be brought up by people who've never read his works?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Okay but just calling them white nationalists goes a hell of a lot further towards that goal.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

ate all the Oreos posted:

Okay but just calling them white nationalists goes a hell of a lot further towards that goal.

Reductress is a rarely-funny cross between Jezebel and the Onion; most likely this is just a joke that didn't land.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

What a dummy. What is it about Nietzsche that causes him to be brought up by people who've never read his works?

He's been maligned and deliberately misinterpreted by fascists since publication. Is it any wonder that fascist-aligned (excuse me, alt-right adjacent) people would continue the trend?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The same thing as 1984.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I mean you could argue that the Zulu forces that defeated the British at the battle of Isandlwana in 1879 were closer to that ideal than General Wellington was decades prior in 1815 at Waterloo but OOPS BROUGHT NON-WHITE PEOPLE INTO IT FORGET I SAID ANYTHING HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am always amazed at how readily people buy the "spending the Soviet Union into bankruptcy" line.

I read an article recently about the actual cause (where by actual I mean that the article made a decent case for it, and I haven't figured out a reason to believe otherwise): a mini peak oil event. The USSR's economy (and that of their satellite states) depended on the USSR's oil and gas production. (Part of this article was simply pointing out that over the long term 20th century economies performed roughly based on how much energy they could produce and/or steal and then consume in industrially productive ways, not political ideology etc.) The USSR went through a few decades of not investing in oil exploration or upgrades for the capital equipment in their existing fields, and began to exhaust a bunch of fields in the 80s. The resulting shortages were deadly for their economy.

The depressing thing about this is of course that western economies are doing the same ostrich act, but the fall may be harder because we've been more proactive about avoiding oil shortages in the near term. The extra depressing thing is electing Trump, who believes that one of the two excellent reasons to try to figure out how to live without burning fossil fuels is a Chinese conspiracy. We need national (and global) leadership which wants to do Apollo Project II: gently caress SHELL (AND MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT), we get idiot fascism instead. We're all doomed. :smith:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

BobHoward posted:

I read an article recently about the actual cause (where by actual I mean that the article made a decent case for it, and I haven't figured out a reason to believe otherwise): a mini peak oil event. The USSR's economy (and that of their satellite states) depended on the USSR's oil and gas production. (Part of this article was simply pointing out that over the long term 20th century economies performed roughly based on how much energy they could produce and/or steal and then consume in industrially productive ways, not political ideology etc.) The USSR went through a few decades of not investing in oil exploration or upgrades for the capital equipment in their existing fields, and began to exhaust a bunch of fields in the 80s. The resulting shortages were deadly for their economy.

lmao owned commies

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Good think that can never happen anywhere else, ever.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

New HBombGuy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahuj1B0ow4U

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe

Christ why cant he stop loving jiggling around

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Six months ago, though…

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Verily I Shat posted:

Christ why cant he stop loving jiggling around

Nervous twitch developed by a textbook buthisface.

Edit: put a polandball or whatever thing on his face and he's practically a one-man Chuck Tingle cover. Pounded in the Butt by my Lack of Self Worth.

Frogfingers has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Dec 20, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/811316084653572096

https://twitter.com/thefinalbiscuit/status/811313981889662976

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This is a beautiful thing MUH CENSORSHIPS OF PEOPLE NOT ALLOWING ME TO CONTROL EVERYTHING OF THEM

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
That's loving hilarious given the IM RATIONAL contingent on Youtube has been up in arms over abusive DMCA takedowns.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

McGlockenshire posted:

That's loving hilarious given the IM RATIONAL contingent on Youtube has been up in arms over abusive DMCA takedowns.

You don't get it, he hurt my feelings and made me look bad! :qq:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

The only moral DMCA takedown is my DMCA takedown

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/ad_captandum/status/810428348887420928
https://twitter.com/susanbgoldberg/status/809484938517053440

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Isn't NatGeo now a Rupert Murdoch gig?

When your cries of "Cultural Marxism!" are targeted at Murdoch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Grace Baiting posted:

The only moral DMCA takedown is my DMCA takedown

I really thought the golden one was a transwoman, based on the video's preview image.

Boy howdy was I in for a shock when I clicked the thing.

Jigglypuff was unwatchable, however, and I went on to other things.