Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bumper Stickup posted:

Please don't nerf Ana. It'll trickle down to comsole which will just make everyone go back to mercy.
I like it when supports have a choice of which character to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Caeks posted:

Oh I'm not disagreeing - I merely think Blizzard will do slight buffs to Mcree, regardless. Possibly as a knee-jerk reaction to the tank meta.

after all of the poo poo mccree has gone through tho, him being in an ok spot is absolutely not something they're gonna knee-jerk rebalance

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing that would make Sombra instantly 1000% better is simply eliminating that 0.5 second delay on shooting/hacking out of invisibility.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

I like it when supports have a choice of which character to play

I do to. It's why I don't want the Ana nerf on console.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what you're afraid of won't happen, she's not gonna be useless on console but ok on pc. the platforms aren't that different

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

torbjorn buffs please

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Manatee Cannon posted:

what you're afraid of won't happen, she's not gonna be useless on console but ok on pc. the platforms aren't that different

I wonder if this is just your skill level. On console I put up half the healing I do with her on PC.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't they balance console and PC versions separately anyways now? Could've sworn I saw something in which Blizzard said that.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Caeks posted:

Don't they balance console and PC versions separately anyways now? Could've sworn I saw something in which Blizzard said that.

The only difference is Torb turret/symm turrets got a 30% damage nerf on console. We still got everything else. Even the initial spread nerf for soldier.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea they did say that they would balance things differently but in practice it's not really any different. I think they want the different versions to be as close as possible

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Caeks posted:

I 100% stand by Sombra/Genji buffs. I think Sombra's clip size, damage or both will be increased. Maybe even some hacking tuning. Maybe a slight HP buff too. Genji, on the other hand, I think needs a slight buff - but he's far harder to balance. As in Roadhog but in the opposite direction, I'm afraid buffing Genji, even slightly, will push him over the edge.

all genji needs is for them to reverse all the nerfs except for the junkrat/widowmaker mine ones

his dominance was entirely the result of the warped as gently caress 50% discord meta and even then he was second fiddle to mccree

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Do you think returning Genji's ult to its previous state probably gets him picked again instead of a tank without nerfing Ana?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

putting genji to what he was would change nothing for him if that's all they did. tho I don't think he should get his old time back either way, if only because he could outlast transcendence and that was silly. the rest is whatever

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

putting genji to what he was would change nothing for him if that's all they did. tho I don't think he should get his old time back either way, if only because he could outlast transcendence and that was silly. the rest is whatever

I think the thing that's hurt Genji more than losing triple jumps or 2 seconds off his ult is both the global adjustment to ult rates and nanoboost nerfs. It takes longer to charge up a dragonblade now and unlike Tracer's pulse bomb Genji's ult is a much more important part of his kit. Losing the ability to get speed-enhanced nanoboosted on top of it also doesn't help.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

outlasting transcendence was good, actually, first off because it's good for offensive powers to be slightly better than defensive ones (to discourage stalemates), second because plenty of ults can punch through transcendence and unlike most of those genji has to wait six seconds before it works

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

comedy option: eight second transcendence

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

even pro genjis thought old dragonblade was too good

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

You sound like a silver player.

Diamond, but thanks for playing!

If you don't believe me, watch any pro KOTH map. Most of the KOTH points are low ground and let the enemy get within knife fight range before you can even see them. In most of them, you want to capture the point, then either move to high ground so you can control when to engage, or move a bit forward so you can force the enemy to come down a long corridor under fire just to get to the point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

even pro genjis thought old dragonblade was too good

seagull_"there is literally no reason to play genji now".mp4

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If they're gonna buff any DPS it would have to be Reaper right? If he were any good he could help punish a 3-4 tank lineup.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they should prob nerf the tank meta favorites instead of trying to make one thing the counter to it because then you just have everyone running that one thing

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the tank meta being stupid doesn't make old dragonblade not also stupid. it wouldn't even do anything except give you more reasons to run tanks. it's a bad idea

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean it's not even just to try and shift the meta. If Reaper isn't good when the other team frequently consists solely of tanks and supports then what possible meta could he be good in?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean it's not even just to try and shift the meta. If Reaper isn't good when the other team frequently consists solely of tanks and supports then what possible meta could he be good in?

i think the thing here is that reaper's effectiveness as a tankbuster is somewhat exaggerated and he's actually good against the same targets as most flankers

(but also against winston and roadhog, the former because of his enormous head and the latter because he has no armor)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

You sound like a silver player.

You sound like a player in low gold saying that lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the tank meta being stupid doesn't make old dragonblade not also stupid. it wouldn't even do anything except give you more reasons to run tanks. it's a bad idea

old dragonblade being perfectly reasonable in every previous meta except for the freak storm of zenyatta dominance is what makes it not stupid

also, even if your supposition were true, it would give you more reason to play tanks and also more reason to play genji, which is already infinitely better than tanks and soldier 76

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Which pro player was it who thought that Soldier was absolutely going to be the top DPS pick over McCree back before his damage buff when all they did was give him a slight adjustment to his spread? Pro players in aggregate may give you an idea of which comps and techniques are successful but individual pro players are just as prone to dumb opinions as someone who paid $10 to post on an internet messageboard.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i think the thing here is that reaper's effectiveness as a tankbuster is somewhat exaggerated and he's actually good against the same targets as most flankers

(but also against winston and roadhog)

And Zarya. Unless she's at peak charge and sees you coming Reaper can absolutely shred her and it always baffled me why so many Reapers would get tickled by a half charge beam and instantly wraith away instead of shooting the 400 hitpoint character with no armor. So yeah, to be honest Reaper's a pretty good character against tanks barring maybe D.Va, the issue is that you can have one Reaper on a team but the other team can have as many tanks as they want and there's only so much a single Reaper can do against that much meat. Like, being good against Tanks doesn't mean you can effortlessly 1v4 the enemy lineup and that's sort of why Reaper isn't the answer to this meta, nor is buffing him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

old dragonblade wasn't fine in every meta but that, genji himself was bad because mccree was so bullshit that it took a long time for people to start playing genji again in the first place. then they did and they discovered that it was good. blizzard isn't just gonna remove nanoboost either, so a decent genji will be killing like 4 people per ult on average against teams that aren't tank heavy

it wouldn't give you more reason to play genji, it would just give you less reason to run things that aren't genji on the off chance a shadowburn is on the other team. if it's bad in this meta and too good in the rest of them, it's not a good change. it wouldn't fix anything and would only make things worse when they change something else. I don't get why you even want this

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

old dragonblade wasn't fine in every meta but that, genji himself was bad because mccree was so bullshit that it took a long time for people to start playing genji again in the first place. then they did and they discovered that it was good. blizzard isn't just gonna remove nanoboost either, so a decent genji will be killing like 4 people per ult on average against teams that aren't tank heavy

a decent genji would be killing like 2 people per ult because anyone competent is going to run zenyatta against him even with 6 transcend vs. 8 dragonblade, plus on top of that genji's going to ult about half as often thanks to the ult charge changes

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess you could argue the issue with Reaper is that D-Va fills the same niche better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

everything that made genji scary is nerfed and everything that made him risky is still basically the same (mccree, transcendence) or circumstantially better (roadhog thriving in an environment with fewer ults)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

a decent genji would be killing like 2 people per ult because anyone competent is going to run zenyatta against him even with 6 transcend vs. 8 dragonblade, plus on top of that genji's going to ult about half as often thanks to the ult charge changes

biotic grenade. the real counter is just roadhog, fullstop

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess you could argue the issue with Reaper is that D-Va fills the same niche better.

defense matrix shuts him down pretty hard tbh. he has to get close and d.va make it hard for him to do anything when he gets there, then he's just gotta run

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

biotic grenade

yeah, okay, fair point

nerf ana

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
why the gently caress do tracer lucio mei and tjorb get the be the Main Faces of the update all of those skins suck rear end

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah, okay, fair point

nerf ana

I think they were wrong to buff the range of that thing and it should be brought back to what it was

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1I2ngjo1D4

Not shown: the absurd amount of salt afterward at my zero-effort accidental PotG :shobon:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Reaper doesn't give a poo poo about armor. The meta right now isn't friendly to him but he doesn't need a buff. "He should be good against triple tanks" ignores that the two tanks he has the most trouble with are the most common picks right now, and that the offense character most picked is also a solid choice against him.

Winston also doesn't need a buff, he's just the tank who is the weakest against tanks. He can tickle Reinhardt through his barrier and kill a mechless D.Va, that is the extent of his use against tanks. He's fine against 2/2/2 comps.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be honest, I think the idea of "well this character being hard-countered by someone running a support in large part to shut them down with their own ultimate ability is only killing 1/3rd of the enemy team by himself when he ults" like that's an example of how reasonable he was is kind of funny.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
According to some eurogamerarticle with no link to the quote blizz is gonna redo meis winter skin since people think it sucks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

To be honest, I think the idea of "well this character being hard-countered by someone running a support in large part to shut them down with their own ultimate ability is only killing 1/3rd of the enemy team by himself when he ults" like that's an example of how reasonable he was is kind of funny.

that's not any different from any of the other good ults in the game, and it's not as if even then getting two kills is in any way guaranteed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

to say nothing of genji's ult being as good as it is because non-ulting genji requires more work for less return than any other offense hero

well, except sombra, she's kind of in the same boat he is