Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ludvig Borga: Sloppy, overpushed, boring, and he's a racist, too. Apparently was planned to be WWE champion so he could lose to Luger at WM, although that may be apocryphal (MRT, any help here?). Mid 90's main event WWE was really feast or famine.

Pretty sure this wasn't seriously considered and they were always going with Yoko.

My vote for the worst wrestler with no excuse is Van Hammer. The guy was around WCW for years and was always god awful. Only highlight of his career was the Juicy Hammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst worker of all time, in my opinion, is obviously HHH.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

oatgan posted:

the more i think about this i realize the answer is just ECW

Sandman's a pretty strong contender for someone who got runs in all the major companies.

If we look into the indies, even the high level ones, then whooooooooooo boy we're gonna need a seat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Pretty sure this wasn't seriously considered and they were always going with Yoko.

My vote for the worst wrestler with no excuse is Van Hammer. The guy was around WCW for years and was always god awful. Only highlight of his career was the Juicy Hammers.

That's a good one. I always wondered if Van Hammer had an uncle who worked for Turner they had to appease or something.

Speaking of Yoko, I've actually come to the conclusion he was pretty alright until his weight made him useless.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Monkeycheese posted:

have any of you guys ever paid for the insanely expensive WWE ringside seats? If so would you say being ringside is at all worth the premium?

the VIP package or whatever that is 5-600 bucks? I looked very briefly and found that unless you want the swag bag and the seat you're in (to take home), just try to search for regular front row. I read some review of them that said while he got all that (and I guess front row seats?) the person next to them only paid 100 bucks and just didn't get anything but the view. I didn't search for those immediately, but after securing 4th row seats for a show in February (the A show & looking at the hard cam) I was only able to find VIP seats for rows 2-3 that were x5 more than what I paid.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of Yoko, I've actually come to the conclusion he was pretty alright until his weight made him useless.

Yokozuna/Owen Hart was a really good tag team.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tir McDohl posted:

Yokozuna/Owen Hart was a really good tag team.

Agreed, especially with Cornette as a mouthpiece. Back when he still gave a gently caress.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I can't find anything about that online and Kan Man Huang isn't Lion King in either Chinese or Taiwanese. Do you have a link?

http://www.baike.com/wiki/%E9%BB%84%E6%A0%B9%E5%B1%98

http://zenpower.pixnet.net/blog/pos...%A0%B9%E5%B1%98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YfoZtq2HU

Some articles say that he was actually champion of the already-mentioned mysterious South Korean scene and I'm inclined to believe that. He headlined or co-headlined several shows that AJPW did in Taiwan in '86, but I didn't find anything else about a Taiwanese wrestling scene outside of those mentions, aaaand this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27FTIhcNZZ0&t=362s

I know literally nothing about this thing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Alain Post posted:

The worst worker of all time, in my opinion, is obviously HHH.

HHH is so weird as a worker. Technically he's very sound, has a good sense of psychology and works the "WWE Style" probably better than anyone. The downside is that style makes almost all his matches samey, and if the story isn't strong enough or doesn't have any heat the crowd just dies. His Mania matches with Orton, Lesnar and Reigns particularly stick out as attempted "epic matches" that fall flat.

Then he wrestles someone like Daniel Bryan and just goes nuts, throwing tiger suplexes and poo poo you never see him do otherwise.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

someone link dylan waco's list of 1000 wrestlers better than HHH

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I pastebinned it, for context for the guys like Cody Rhodes/JoMo/etc this list was written in 2012

http://pastebin.com/XXMU5M8g

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alain Post posted:

I pastebinned it, for context for the guys like Cody Rhodes/JoMo/etc this list was written in 2012

favorite quote from this whole thing is "HHH is more likely to cover up a murder, but Angle is more likely to carry one out. Point goes to HHH. Still prefer Angle."

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

For worst wrestler with no excuse I'd go with Mr. Kennedy/Anderson. He was a decent worker, decent talker, and he got pushed seriously in two companies, but he never made himself a star. It's one of the only clear-cut cases I can think of where a guy was given opportunities, had everything going for him, and never hit home.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
actually that list made me remember my actual pick for worst semi-notable wrestler, at least of the US promotions- Stevie Ray was the shits

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alain Post posted:

It's even dumber in 2012.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Both HHH and obvious HHH surrogate Seth Rollins had disappointing matches with Roman Reigns, clearly marking both as terrible uncarriable wrestlers.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
just watch all of HHHs entrances and youll quickly realize HHH is probably the coolest human being of all time

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LvK posted:

Some articles say that he was actually champion of the already-mentioned mysterious South Korean scene and I'm inclined to believe that. He headlined or co-headlined several shows that AJPW did in Taiwan in '86, but I didn't find anything else about a Taiwanese wrestling scene outside of those mentions, aaaand this video:

Cheers. As far as I know, the only wrestling here nowadays are the NJPW shows and WWE does a show here every two years or so.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MotU posted:

just watch all of HHHs entrances and youll quickly realize HHH is probably the coolest human being of all time

HHH entrances are legit must-see TV

Then HHH starts wrestling and I go back to messing around on my phone

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He should have Stephanatrix introduce him 100% of the time imo

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Benne posted:

HHH entrances are legit must-see TV

Then HHH starts wrestling and I go back to messing around on my phone

That Entrance at Mania with Steph as as a sword and Sorcery villain doing an evil monologue did a lot to make his match with Roman afterward acceptable to me. I loved it so loving much, the match didn't ruin it for me.

People keep bringing up Sabu and Sandman, and I think they both have some very fun stuff in their short WWE tenure even though I was never really that fond of them in their supposed prime.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One thing Dylan gets right is that there are certain things that Sandman did well when he was in decent enough condition (bump, show rear end when he was heel, threw a good right hand). But god help you if he was too hosed up to wrestle but went out anyways, which was a little too often for my liking. People give Paul Heyman poo poo justifiably for a lot of things, but one I rarely hear is "enabled a functioning alcoholic/drug addict to work long-ish, dangerous matches while inebriated, putting himself, others in the match, and possibly fans in danger". Although I know folks who would contend that endangering ECW fans is a good thing, and with some of their behavior I understand that logic. Although truth be told, I probably just described like, 90-95 percent of the ECW locker room.

Being a pretty dyed in the wool ECW mark who fell for Paul's manipulations is something I feel very silly about, in hindsight. Although it lead me to explore wrestling outside of WWE and WCW, so not a total loss, I guess.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

For worst wrestler with no excuse I'd go with Mr. Kennedy/Anderson. He was a decent worker, decent talker, and he got pushed seriously in two companies, but he never made himself a star. It's one of the only clear-cut cases I can think of where a guy was given opportunities, had everything going for him, and never hit home.

You kinda contradicted yourself here.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ken Kennedy can gently caress the hell right off

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

LvK posted:

Can you tell me more about the South Korean Wrestling scene? I'd love more information or videos about it.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Ken Kennedy can gently caress the hell right off

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Was Bruiser Brody good or not good

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

https://twitter.com/DurkHendrunkqs/status/809231536579035136

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

He was good. A bit overrated by some people, but you know how some wrestlers exude a kind of crazy energy where you feel like you'd be surprised by nothing they did, no matter how crazy it was? Brody had that. Super energetic brawler, and his HUGE jumping kneedrop finish was awesome.

Also, despite being a brawler, he could hang with people like Flair on the mat and look good. There's a match where they go broadway and Brody looks like a guy who could carry a company. Apparently he was considered for an NWA title reign a couple times.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 17, 2016

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

What little footage I've seen I thought was actually ok and sometimes good but the smark consensus turned on him a few years back when rediscovering old footage that he was often bad, lazy, and wildly unprofessional. If you're like me you think those things own, however. Everyone agrees on his insane presence and physical charisma though

Brody tapes arent that hard to find i would recommend finding some and deciding for yourself!

oatgan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 17, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
On that note, how good was Pat Patterson? WWE mythology did a lot to build him up, and he's partially responsible for the IC title being seen as the "workhorse belt," but how many of his matches hold up?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oatgan posted:

territory duggan is fun even if he eventually found an easy gimmick that allowed him to stop giving a poo poo

He's a college educated man, this shouldn't be a surprise

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Brody is kind of a folk hero for popularizing the ideas of only giving away the big poo poo when it counts, and shaking down promoters for what you are worth to an industry that will never have a workers union, and on top of that some of his matches were good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Benne posted:

On that note, how good was Pat Patterson? WWE mythology did a lot to build him up, and he's partially responsible for the IC title being seen as the "workhorse belt," but how many of his matches hold up?

Big Dave seemed to think he was a 5 star worker in the early 80s, had a MOTY with Slaughter in like 84 I think?

You could argue that his invention of the Royal Rumble could be puffed up to an extent, I guess - it certainly wasn't a big deal in its first iteration, Duggan wasn't poo poo - but it's a GOAT match gimmick contender by any metric. And the dude is apparently a real good agent.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Alain Post posted:

For the uninitiated:

Who is the guy writing under this link who think Triple H and DX were both always terrible, barely passable acts? I mean I never really wanted to hear another 20 minutes Raw promo, but Triple H could always make a case for top 100 in the world right?

Or am I getting older and more forgiving?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Benne posted:

Pat was pretty drat good, and more than a few old school guys have said he was one of the best workers around in his prime. His cage match with Backlund and the alley fight with Slaughter hold up just fine.

As far as guys who weren't good, but should have been, I'd put Marc Mero on that list for sure.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

CombineThresher posted:

Pat was pretty drat good, and more than a few old school guys have said he was one of the best workers around in his prime. His cage match with Backlund and the alley fight with Slaughter hold up just fine.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Big Dave seemed to think he was a 5 star worker in the early 80s, had a MOTY with Slaughter in like 84 I think?

You could argue that his invention of the Royal Rumble could be puffed up to an extent, I guess - it certainly wasn't a big deal in its first iteration, Duggan wasn't poo poo - but it's a GOAT match gimmick contender by any metric. And the dude is apparently a real good agent.

These are good answers, thanks.

quote:

As far as guys who weren't good, but should have been, I'd put Marc Mero on that list for sure.

Are we sure about this? He seemed like a career midcard guy as Johnny B. Badd in WCW, and it feels like WWF only brought him in as a vehicle to push Sable.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Benne posted:

Are we sure about this? He seemed like a career midcard guy as Johnny B. Badd in WCW, and it feels like WWF only brought him in as a vehicle to push Sable.

WWE also paid him a shitload of money when they brought him in; I believe his was one of the first guaranteed contracts in the company.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Cheers. As far as I know, the only wrestling here nowadays are the NJPW shows and WWE does a show here every two years or so.

Lemme know if you find out anything else about him! He counts as "pro wrestling" "kung-fu movies" and "stupid poo poo nobody cares about" so he's basically center in a venn diagram of the things I like.

TV Zombie posted:

Can you tell me more about the South Korean Wrestling scene? I'd love more information or videos about it.

Sorry, I don't know much about it besides random mentions here or there. Kintaro Ohki started it, NWA veteran Pak Song was apparently a pretty major figure in it and that's all of what I know. No idea if the Korean exchange wrestlers from early FMW were part of that scene or not, especially considering how little footage I've seen of that group.

NutShellBill posted:

For the uninitiated:

Who is the guy writing under this link who think Triple H and DX were both always terrible, barely passable acts? I mean I never really wanted to hear another 20 minutes Raw promo, but Triple H could always make a case for top 100 in the world right?

Or am I getting older and more forgiving?

Just my opinion, of course, but I grew up a WCW dude, got out of wrestling, and then got back in, so I always accepted the idea that HHH was a helluva worker at his best. Then I looked back at all of his "best" matches and realized that, man, no, "passable" is the best way to describe him. He wasn't a horrible death-knell-of-our-sport wrestler, but he had absolutely nothing special to bring to the table besides booking and a cadre of co-stars who all had something special in their own right.

He embodies most of what I dislike about pro wrestling, but I wouldn't put him on a "worst in the world" list. Instead, for that, I'll second the nomination for Tony Halme. That guy got some pretty big pushes for a guy who managed to drag a bad match out of Volk Han.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
IIRC, by this time of year we usually know what the plan for Wrestlemania is. Anybody heard what direction the show is going this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MotU posted:

I watch all of HHH's entrances and realize he's probably the biggest dork of all time.
And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

(I figured out awhile ago that HHH's entire career was Paul Levesque writing and starring in his own self-insert fanfiction).