Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Arguing with Piraro is only going to hurt me.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

Satisfying.

A few years ago I sent Meehan a fan email explaining how much I enjoy his comic, as it's a rare goodie in a sea of badies, and he quickly responded with a nice thank you and well wishes.
Now every so often I get emails from him because I guess I share an unusual name with one of his associates. A sweet inside peek into the cut throat world of syndicate comics (not really, the emails are always boring and I always remind him to send them to the right person).

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

You would think that Hugh has never seen a person regurgitate 5 years worth of partially digested Hubba Bubba before.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

You would think that Hugh has never seen a person regurgitate 5 years worth of partially digested Hubba Bubba before.

Imagine you paid good money to see a classy musical performance and you have to sit and watch while the musicians are orgasming all over their instruments and playing grabass with each other and... whatever this is that's going on in today's strip.

You dressed up for this.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 17, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Much like that samurai jack episode, melanoma is a coward striking people from out of the light!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Imagine you paid good money to see a classy musical performance and you have to sit and watch while the musicians are orgasming all over their instruments and playing grabass with each other and... whatever this is that's going on in today's strip.

You dressed up for this.

So of course Brooke will use this as an excuse for the theater to erupt in as close to an orgy as the papers will allow. While claiming that it's not about sex at all!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Any other strip would have ruined this by showing the entire suit.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (October, 1915)

Guess If They Are Married! (January, 1916, click for big)

Outbursts of Everett True (March, 1916)

The Gay Thirties (April, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (March, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (August, 1940)

Tweedy (October, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Gotta admit, I love the caterpillar story line.

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awakening_(sculpture)

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Fingerpori :finland:

Jarla hates pseudo treatments.

Jarla also hates nazis, or "immigration criticals" as they call themselves. Here "opening the game" means starting the discussion but also spreading your genital.

Diana's line lampoons the way magazines are marketed here. Unfortunately Phantom magazine exists no more :(

"veti itsensä piippuun" or "pulled himself into the chimney/pipe" is an idiom that comes from an engine backfiring (piiputtaa), but surprisingly here the pun translates effortlessly but with a new meaning!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Five (September 12-14, 1955)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone know why Super-Fun-Pak Comics has started rerunning older strips? It makes me sad that I don't have new Super-Fun-Paks to read.

No idea. I know Ruben Bolling handed it off ages ago, but I don't know if the new guy is still around or what's going on.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Evil Mastermind posted:

No idea. I know Ruben Bolling handed it off ages ago, but I don't know if the new guy is still around or what's going on.

He is still making new pages for BoingBoing and wherever, but the most recent one was too traumatizing for words.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, that's depressing as hell.

The Classic Dinette Set's got the Look.

Working Daze needs to extend its circle of friends.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix mixes and matches...if you know what I mean.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The Lighter Side of Poisoning Your Children and Pets! (I guess it could be fake mistletoe, but still a stupid idea to show a kid playing with it near animals. I sell real mistletoe that grows in my yard, and always include a warning sticker that says to keep it away from kids and pets, so this made me cringe so hard.)

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

My dad is ill and probably dying. These hit home. But in a good way. Ces is a good writer.

He is, ain't he? He can squeeze out something heartfelt, sad, AND amusing in 3 panels. Meanwhile Batuik's going for some hosed up suicide arc that has us all encouraging the character to do a backflip off the Hollywood sign.

And I'm sorry to hear about your dad, Julet. :glomp:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SomeMathGuy posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bernice and Gunther have an ugly argument that didn't get resolved? This is hacky even by the Evans' standards.
Yes, and also a lot of wood was burnt on how Luann couldn't invite Gunther to her brother's wedding.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ghostlight posted:

Yes, and also a lot of wood was burnt on how Luann couldn't invite Gunther to her brother's wedding.

Which is extra hilarious now that we see her dog was apparently invited. Plus that wedding planner-cum-officiant was flipping out that some firefighters came in mussed up after just having battled a forest fire, but having a dog (literally named Puddles because he pisses inside) running around the venue is a-okay!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

He is still making new pages for BoingBoing and wherever, but the most recent one was too traumatizing for words.

The brilliant thing about this comic is it's a redo of his post-9/11 comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That comic actually made me feel faintly sick. :smith:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You can turn that off. It was one of the first things I did when I got a Kindle.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Tiggum posted:

You can turn that off. It was one of the first things I did when I got a Kindle.

Actually I think you'll see that the first thing you should have done when you got the Kindle is throw that useless hunk of metal out and only read hard copies, preferably bought from your local bookstore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andorra posted:

Actually I think you'll see that the first thing you should have done when you got the Kindle is throw that useless hunk of metal out and only read hard copies, preferably bought from your local bookstore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's "safety spray"?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Suddenly very glad Batiuk doesn't write Dick Tracy, cause you know he'd find a way to have someone literally fight cancer, probably his comic book superheroes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

This page is so wonderful. DO NOT gently caress WITH MODESTY.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 8. 1994)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

For some reason I really like that it says "To be continued," in case there was someone out there who would read this in the paper and be very confused because they didn't know there was more coming.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (September 12-14, 1929)

Peanuts (December 20, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Did we just see the first successful suicide in the strip's history? And does that mean the week leading up to Christmas is going to be filled with funerals and recriminations and an anti-Internet screed?

It'd be a nice change of pace, which is why I'm not buying it.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (February 14-15, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 7, 1930)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
How loving innocent do you have to be to commit suicide after your first paparazzi scandal when you are a goddamn actor IN HOLLYWOOD?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All the coke has addled her brain and left her seriously manic.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hollywood is a black hole that destroys all that is good and metastasizing in the world in its greedy pursuit of money and stories over pathos and smug.

(Translation: Batiuk tried and failed to make Funky Winkerbean into a franchise like Garfield or Peanuts out there and is still bitter about it.)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zereth posted:

What's "safety spray"?

Mace (it's for your personal safety so obviously you apply it to yourself)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Garfield and Peanuts calendars with words of the day are charming because Garfield and Peanuts are about concepts (cats, gluttony, kids, dogs fantasizing about being different jobs, free floating anxiety and kids being bad at baseball) that are inherently charming.

Funky Winkerbean is about cancer, death, teenage pregnancy, being maimed in drunk driving accidents, debilitating diseases, the inevitability of getting old and losing your physical and mental faculties, that one flirtation with incest, and nobody wants to be reminded of that

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Calaveron posted:

Garfield and Peanuts calendars with words of the day are charming because Garfield and Peanuts are about concepts (cats, gluttony, kids, dogs fantasizing about being different jobs, free floating anxiety and kids being bad at baseball) that are inherently charming.

Funky Winkerbean is about cancer, death, teenage pregnancy, being maimed in drunk driving accidents, debilitating diseases, the inevitability of getting old and losing your physical and mental faculties, that one flirtation with incest, and nobody wants to be reminded of that

To be fair there was that one pretty awful Peanuts special about cancer, but that was the exception rather than what with Funky Winkerbean would be an iron clad rule.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Calaveron posted:

that one flirtation with incest

Wait, WHAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pooch Café

I hope this strip ends with Chaz realizing he is in an abusive relationship and is co-dependent, and takes Poncho to get put down.

• Locked thread