Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol @ everything in that video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

heh-heh hehheh

"ho scale"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

are they ever gonna stop flogging these loving fold-over laptops

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

THC posted:

not unless they start to tank

from experience they aren't thin enough to be used as tablets folded over, but I guess some people like having the laptop keyboard out of the way to use a real keyboard at home v:shobon:v

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

THC posted:

I can't think of a single definition or usage of the word Spectre that has a positive connotation

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I can't think of a single definition or usage of the word Spectre that has a positive connotation

tbf its better than their macbook clone that they called envy

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

how about that cool old mac game

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

minivanmegafun posted:

spectre vr fukkin owned

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Spectre (video game)

it's a fun game, especially networked

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FMguru posted:

spectre vr fukkin owned

thanks!

I worked on it, OSI Bean Dip got the keyboard used to develop Spectre Supreme and Spectre VR for yosmas last year

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the adware OS

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

thanks!

I worked on it, OSI Bean Dip got the keyboard used to develop Spectre Supreme and Spectre VR for yosmas last year

thank you for many wasted hours tank battlin

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

minivanmegafun posted:

i had the version that worked on dos and windows 3.1 and it also owned

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

a spectre haunting europe

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

eschaton posted:

thanks!

holy poo poo, that owns

I put loads of time into that and spin doctor challenger on my old mac

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

THC posted:

convertibles is like the one category actually growing healthily yoy, increasingly looking like the pure tablet will be the fringe device

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

convertibles is like the one category actually growing healthily yoy, increasingly looking like the pure tablet will be the fringe device

1 bought in 2014
3 bought in 2015
4 bought in 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I do not believe that anyone uses these as anything other than normal laptops. at best they fold back the keyboard for some long form reading.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
the touch screen adds 300g to the weight of the laptop

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

I do not believe that anyone uses these as anything other than normal laptops. at best they fold back the keyboard for some long form reading.

i don't think anyone (well, "anyone") actually handles them like a tablet no, but i do see a lot of people around who put them in the tent mode to e.g. watch a video or to just refer to a document without having the laptop clutter the entire desk. some people who actually do use pens are also rather served by the flexibility

still, the popularity is likely more down to people *imagining* their use of it than a huge amount of usefulness (much like a tablet, but in this case one at least gets a laptop out of it as well). as it turns out it isn't that expensive to do once you have a hinge designed though, so it seems to be around as a checkbox feature to offer. the only really nasty downside is that the screen coatings aren't very nice for the normal laptop use

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wasn't there some report recently by someone with real world usage metrics who found that the overwhelming majority of usage of convertible laptops is in normal laptop form and people irl almost never fold it over or whatever

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

even if those convertibles have really nice hardware it ultimately doesn't matter because windows makes a terrible loving tablet os

do they still sell those horrible $100 windows tablets that all had the same exact specs because they were basically microsoft and intel colluding on making utter garbage? you know, 1024x600 screens, intel atom, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

windows makes a terrible loving os

:agreed:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

even if those convertibles have really nice hardware it ultimately doesn't matter because windows makes a terrible loving tablet os

do they still sell those horrible $100 windows tablets that all had the same exact specs because they were basically microsoft and intel colluding on making utter garbage? you know, 1024x600 screens, intel atom, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC?

literally posting this from one. they only have 1 gig of ram, though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

its probably a good move that ms is phasing out windows in favor of linux

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the surface book is actually useful but it's mostly because you can pop the screen off entirely

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

sounds like the Compute Stick but worse

though you could probably run Haiku nicely on one at least

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

univbee posted:

And if you acquired it in like 2012 that isn't a useful data point for a question about whether you can still buy them in just shy of 2017.

Last Chance posted:

:confused:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Last Chance posted:

:yeah:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Last Chance posted:

still better than the operating system installed by default on many Apple devices: OSX macOS

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beamed posted:

still better than the operating system installed by default on many Apple devices: OSX macOS

:wrong:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Beamed posted:

lol

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Beamed posted:

:yossame:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

it was these guys http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black

they came with a $99 office 365 key in the box lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FCKGW posted:

it was these guys http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black

requires less dongles than a $4000 macbook pro

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

requires less dongles than a $4000 macbook pro

that's why it's called a winbook

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

FCKGW posted:

An Ivy Bridge-era Atom from Q1 '14.

I'm actually vaguely impressed it's Windows 10 compatible. I'm also disappointed that it is, but it's not the tablet's fault that Microsoft still insists on making a 32-bit edition of Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

An Ivy Bridge-era Atom from Q1 '14.

I'm actually vaguely impressed it's Windows 10 compatible. I'm also disappointed that it is, but it's not the tablet's fault that Microsoft still insists on making a 32-bit edition of Windows.

I'm not sure if they are now; at launch, win10 had a 1 gig minimum ram requirement for the 32-bit version, but the anniversary update says you need 2 gigs now

• Locked thread