Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

theres a will theres moe posted:

Well, it's actually the right to keep and bear bear arms in support of a "well regulated militia" necessary for the maintenance of a free state. Presumably 'free' includes freedom to vote. Ignoring even that, maybe it should be as easy to vote as it is to own a gun.
If we're getting parsimonious about the wording of the Constitution then perhaps you can point to where the Constitution prohibits things like voter ID laws and restricted voting hours:

15th Amendment (1870): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."
19th Amendment (1920): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."
23rd Amendment (1961): provides that residents of the District of Columbia can vote for the President and Vice President.
24th Amendment (1964): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."
26th Amendment (1971): "The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Or maybe you meant voting was a "right" in that abstract way people generally use it, which is to say "I feel it should be thus," regardless of whether or not it actually is thus, or should be, thus, or if your feelings on the matter have any bearing whatsoever.

I generally agree that voting should be as easy and open as possible but this constant windmill tipping by the Left Democrats about voter disenfranchisement is tiresome and, especially when it comes to things like voter ID laws, patronizing as gently caress.

Ace of Baes posted:

gently caress you.
And you as well.

e. I should stop lumping the Left in with the Democrats sorry

unlimited shrimp has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

SpaceGoku posted:

I have no problem making it as easy to vote as it is to buy a shotgun

I could go buy a shotgun from walmart right now, no permit or waiting period required

don't even need to register

let people vote at walmarts

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SpaceGoku posted:

Big Gulp / Extra Large Jorts 2020

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
the part about "no poll taxes" means state IDs should be free if they are required for voting imo

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

bump_fn posted:

Big Gulp / Extra Large Jorts 2020

arguably better than current circumstances

a pair of jorts wouldn't rubber stamp every fool idea coming out of a GOP congress

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

deadgoon posted:

the part about "no poll taxes" means state IDs should be free if they are required for voting imo

:agreed:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lmao avclub throwing shade

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

etalian posted:

:qq:

bad dems are desperate to claim that Bernie had no chance of winning the GE

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/12/bernie-sanders-would-have-lost-election-landslide

:roflolmao:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

You are sure to shut up any debate with a strong, well researched graph like that.

According to it the Dems should have nominated Ronald Hitler, to match the raging fascist and neoliberal portfolio of LBJ, known today as "The Great Eviscerator" for his thorough destruction of the welfare system and the violent death of the great society.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
:chloe:

It should be as easy as possible to vote.

Anyone that talks about "sufficient motivation" needs to, uh, crawl back into the "Personal Responsibility" hole they came from.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

You are sure to shut up any debate with a strong, well researched graph like that.

According to it the Dems should have nominated Ronald Hitler, to match the raging fascist and neoliberal portfolio of LBJ, known today as "The Great Eviscerator" for his thorough destruction of the welfare system and the violent death of the great society.

This is what happens when you try to quantify ideology.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

deadgoon posted:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Define "liberal"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

freckle posted:

Define "liberal"

LIE-BERAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

deadgoon posted:

Sure, just pick it up at our office in another county on the fifth Wednesday of any month!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
poo poo liberal say: Hillary is more progressive than LBJ because she said she would things were not worth doing if they wouldn't end racism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yes one Kevin Drum and his history of sharting all over his work desk. Source for Clinton being in the middle? Drum's mind.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Sure, just pick it up at our office in another county on the fifth Wednesday of any month!

Office now closed every other month due to budget cuts.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Office now closed every other month due to budget cuts.

just fly to this specific place with the private jet you already own, so simple

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Drevin Kum

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

SpaceGoku posted:

That would probably be a better system than what we have

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SpaceGoku posted:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That would probably be a better system than what we have

"And in a stunning upset, the 'Outlaw Unions Forever and Also Make It Legal To Pay in Scrip and Shoot Labor Organizers If We Want (Which We Do)' ballot item passed with over 98% of the total vote."

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JafSyi4ZZ7w

dude close to wikileaks is claiming the dnc email leaks came from a disgruntled democratic insider and not russia

Zach noooo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

I don't think it's a worrying trend at all, I think it's human nature. Young people have put less of their own money into Social Security, and the point in time at which it will benefit them is further away. Those same people will probably have differing opinions on the subject when those conditions don't apply to them anymore.

it'll be a problem if the young people stand by and let Congress repeal SS and Medicare as soon as the boomer lobby is too senile to stop it

lmao

the funniest part about this graph is that I could see any side of the Democratic civil war posting it

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I am 15 liberal

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

the trump tutelage posted:

If we're getting parsimonious about the wording of the Constitution then perhaps you can point to where the Constitution prohibits things like voter ID laws and restricted voting hours:

15th Amendment (1870): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."
19th Amendment (1920): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."
23rd Amendment (1961): provides that residents of the District of Columbia can vote for the President and Vice President.
24th Amendment (1964): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."
26th Amendment (1971): "The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Or maybe you meant voting was a "right" in that abstract way people generally use it, which is to say "I feel it should be thus," regardless of whether or not it actually is thus, or should be, thus, or if your feelings on the matter have any bearing whatsoever.

I generally agree that voting should be as easy and open as possible but this constant windmill tipping by the Left Democrats about voter disenfranchisement is tiresome and, especially when it comes to things like voter ID laws, patronizing as gently caress.

And you as well.

e. I should stop lumping the Left in with the Democrats sorry

Yeah yeah and the law doesn't say I can't murder someone on a Tuesday.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

logikv9 posted:

I am 15 liberal

that gives u a +2 modifier to poison damage

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah yeah and the law doesn't say I can't murder someone on a Tuesday.

And that flag has a gold fringe so i shall take your wife as mine own bride.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Any chart that has LBJ less liberal than Bill and Hillary Clinton should just be laughed at for the rest of eternity.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Any chart that has LBJ less liberal than Bill and Hillary Clinton should just be laughed at for the rest of eternity.

LBJ created Medicaid/Medicare and extended welfare benefits, while Bill Clinton tried to destroy it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NumberLast posted:

lol if you believe the CIA "report."

I believe the CIA more than I believe Trump and Russia, although that's just about the lowest bar you could possibly clear

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
actually it might be better to say that I disbelieve Trump and Russia slightly more than I disbelieve the CIA

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I believe the CIA more than I believe Trump and Russia, although that's just about the lowest bar you could possibly clear

You know who really liked sugar?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

etalian posted:

LBJ created Medicaid/Medicare and extended welfare benefits, while Bill Clinton tried to destroy it.

But imagine what Bill would have done if Congress hadn't held him back! And other complete bullshit.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rand alPaul posted:

It's actually a dick size chart.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

maybe it should be as easy to vote as it is to own a gun.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Dec 17, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I genuinely can't read this chart. It either has LBJ or Sanders as the 'least liberal' candidates the dems have ever had and there's no right option there.

Also what are the numbers? 35? 35 what? What does 35 mean on a 'liberal' chart?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The paper cited in Drum's article has a bit of a different take on candidate liberalism.

Also interesting that Drum decided to make the cutoff 1952 and label it "Post war". I guess 1948 doesn't count because....? Also, you might notice that there was a fairly liberal Democratic President who appears four times on the above chart. Pretty surprising that someone so liberal could win four times!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"And in a stunning upset, the 'Outlaw Unions Forever and Also Make It Legal To Pay in Scrip and Shoot Labor Organizers If We Want (Which We Do)' ballot item passed with over 98% of the total vote."

might still be an improvement depending on how the next 8 years go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

Also interesting that Drum decided to make the cutoff 1952 and label it "Post war". I guess 1948 doesn't count because....? Also, you might notice that there was a fairly liberal Democratic President who appears four times on the above chart. Pretty surprising that someone so liberal could win four times!

Irrelevant, FDR won at a time of an economic crisis and geo-political tensions that escalated into a protracted war. Nowadays, during a period of prosperity, peace and overall greatness, we need a candidate who can triangulate the best way of preserving what makes America so great.

• Locked thread