Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Rurutia posted:

There are alternatives to diamonds... Moissanite, amora, sapphire are all good choices.
As a bonus, you can feel the smug satisfaction of your ring being different from all those generic diamond rings out there. (Moreso if it's a sapphire or something that doesn't look like a diamond)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

My friend got his fiancee this really nice ring with inlaid labradorite which has a bunch of swirly blue colors that are super pretty and look different depending on how you look at it and the whole thing cost like $200 and didn't involve any murder

Wow this stuff is really cool. My girlfriend is from Newfoundland so it would make a pretty great gift. I don't know if I could sell it as an engagement ring though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ate all the Oreos posted:

My friend got his fiancee this really nice ring with inlaid labradorite which has a bunch of swirly blue colors that are super pretty and look different depending on how you look at it and the whole thing cost like $200 and didn't involve any murder

Is that a cross of a Labrador and a meteorite?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spog posted:

Is that a cross of a Labrador and a meteorite?

Yes.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I am really feeling robbed right about now.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Moneyball posted:

Oh and I guess this is as good a place as any to ask, but how do I come to that sweet spot between reasonable and BWM when planning to buy an engagement ring?

Ask your grandmother for her ring, or at least a stone, then have it set by a local jeweler.

Heirloom jewelry is awesome. It costs nothing and confers way more meaning.

Edit: this message brought to you by a poster who literally drives a 99 Civic.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
edit: didn't read all the replies.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 17, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Ask your grandmother for her ring, or at least a stone, then have it set by a local jeweler.

Especially when grandma has 1.33ct diamond stud earrings. And it's your (now) wife's grandma. I've now spent as much insuring the ring as I have spent on the ring itself. "All peril" indeed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Bad With Money: Just Wait For Your Blood Diamond

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Bad With Money: Just Wait For Your Blood Diamond

No question about it. I assume at least one finger was lost between the pair of earrings.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

This idiot on reddit made a business decision that will surely cost a lot of money when he is sued, and possibly charged with mail tampering. Good thing he admitted guilt on a public forum.

quote:

So our competitors had a huge box of USB's sent to us rather than them with the intention of the USB's to be sent out to all their clients. I added a PDF brochure on to each USB then sent them back to our competitors. They sent them all out without realising my PDFs were on each one. Called this morning threating legal action. Do they have a case ?

Thanks
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5ip0u9/i_added_our_pdf_brochure_to_our_competitors_usbs/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FWIW, the legal advice thread didn't seem to think it was a slam dunk case. What do you think he'll be sued under?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

Yeah I certainly can't argue with the general life advice of "inherit valuable things", it's an age old model of success

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah I certainly can't argue with the general life advice of "inherit valuable things", it's an age old model of success

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

And come from a very small family. I think some of my 20+ cousins and siblings might have objected to my snagging Grandma's ring.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

FWIW, the legal advice thread didn't seem to think it was a slam dunk case. What do you think he'll be sued under?

Really? I thought most of the comments were pretty clear he was in a lot of trouble for opening mail not addressed to him, and tampering with a competitors product (tortious interference) and then a bunch of people discuss the FTC which is irrelevant because he is in UK.

For content, we adopted a kitty who promptly broke his dumb leg. So we paid $3k for cat surgery to pin his bones back together. Two weeks later he's back to being a maniac and ran head first into a wall. Now the cat is acting super weird, seems he might have a concussion or something, we called and the vet is recommending an MRI (another thousand dollars) and then who knows how much whatever treatment is gonna cost. Pets cost more than humans for medical care in singapore.

We have had him for 3 months. Pets are great for life but they are bad for money.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Why can't the cat get a head CT instead of an MR in the setting of trauma, that's first line for humans and no doubt cheaper and easier?

(please note my noble resistance to this opportunity of a lifetime to make a CAT scan pun)

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Why can't the cat get a head CT instead of an MR in the setting of trauma, that's first line for humans and no doubt cheaper and easier?

(please note my noble resistance to this opportunity of a lifetime to make a CAT scan pun)

I am probably mistaken, my husband said "scan" and I inferred MRI because I figured he was just making a pun but god I hope it's a CAT scan.

Actually, I hope it's no scan. We will see tomorrow. We love the little butt muncher so we will pay for whatever they say. Dammit.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dude just euthanize it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Nice thread title.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The quickest turnaround time on post->thread title I've ever seen.

Caring for living things is BWM. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Switchback posted:

I am probably mistaken, my husband said "scan" and I inferred MRI because I figured he was just making a pun but god I hope it's a CAT scan.

Actually, I hope it's no scan. We will see tomorrow. We love the little butt muncher so we will pay for whatever they say. Dammit.

You can probably get bilked for more money if they go with an MRI scan over a CT scan even though they'd both be fine in this case since MRI generally costs way more than CT, so depending on how scrupulous the doctor is you might be gettin' screwed (or he only has access to a kitty-sized MRI machine instead of a kitty-sized CT machine)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
One of my phone apps started giving me an ad Why Handbags are the Penny Stocks of Your Closet. Yeah ok.

https://grow.wealthsimple.com/how-to-invest-in-handbags/ :yikes:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

One of my phone apps started giving me an ad Why Handbags are the Penny Stocks of Your Closet. Yeah ok.

Well thier performance in separating fools from thier money is probably similar, so maybe they are like penny stocks in your closet.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

This summer my wife went down to Florida for a bachelorette party. Everyone stayed with a friend who recently moved into a gated community in West Palm Beach. While they were at the house, this friend offered everyone the chance to take two designer purses home because "otherwise I'm going to donate them to Goodwill." Not to worry, the friend still had several designer purses left even after giving away ten!

Said friend later complained about credit card debt :doh:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Switchback posted:

If the pins are magnetic, it can't get an MRI scan, so that may help things out. In all seriousness though, what is the concussion treatment and is it something like rest and not running into things that can just happen anyways?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
BWM: Family members dying in far away states.

My mom is pretty much going to die any time now and I just checked flights and its stupid expensive to get around right now. gently caress the holidays. My tickets booked for Jan 4 are like 1/4th the price.

edit: Seriously though - gently caress 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

My mom is pretty much going to die any time now and I just checked flights and its stupid expensive to get around right now. gently caress the holidays. My tickets booked for Jan 4 are like 1/4th the price.

Sorry dude, that sucks. Does the airline have a bereavement rate?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NancyPants posted:

You don't get bereavement until after they've died and you have a death certificate apparently. I got hosed about 6 months ago when my dad was in the ICU and we were pretty sure it was his last few days.

Airlines don't care that you want to be with your family members before they die - only that you make it to the funeral?

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 18, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
How do you prove to them that you're on your way to see someone that's almost dead? Are there near-death certificates?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They really aren't worth it anyway. You'd probably find a cheaper regular ticket online.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/death_in_the_family_bereavement_fares_are_almost_a.html

quote:

Airlines used to give discounts to passengers who were traveling to a relative's funeral, but those days are just about gone.

Now buying a ticket to attend a funeral or visit a relative in the hospital is no different than last-minute travel plans for any other reason.

Among the largest U.S. airlines, only Delta Air Lines and Alaska Airlines still offer so-called bereavement fares. Those tickets, however, come with a big caveat.

"They are a very small discount off the walk-up fare" -- a costly unrestricted ticket, said George Hobica, founder of the airfarewatchdog.com site. "Even if you can find one, they are not any cheaper."

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

silicone thrills posted:

In case you don't get PM notifications, I sent you one to see if I can help.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zero One posted:

They really aren't worth it anyway. You'd probably find a cheaper regular ticket online.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/death_in_the_family_bereavement_fares_are_almost_a.html

Yep. I was already booked to go see the family in a few weeks so i'm going to change days and eat the cost difference. I do have a nice benefit that I know a ton of people with Alaska Airlines and I think one of them is going to get my change fee waived but I still have to cough up the difference in fares.

:unsmith: People being kind at work and on the interwebs has definitely made be feel alot better today.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Zero One posted:

I can attest to this. When my grandfather died, it was cheaper for me to just buy a normal ticket on AirTran with three days notice then to get a bereavement fare from Continental.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Dude just euthanize it.
Speaking of, here's a reddit thread

quote:

I check my credit score recently and it was 827. I pay my bills on time, but I still was surprised at how high it is. At first I was like, good job me! But then I realized, I still can't buy anything that I need credit for, so what does my credit matter?

I'm 34 and I make $126k a year, which I know isn't really poor. I obviously don't wonder whether I'll have food and shelter, but I live in the Los Angeles area so I definitely still have to watch my budget carefully. The chances of my income going up significantly in the future is slim. I've basically maxed out my pay, though I like this job so I'm staying.

I put 10% into retirement savings. I pay about $1400/month in student loans. That should be reduced to $500/month in about 2 years because I will have paid of the higher-interest ones. But then it will probably be about time to replace my 2001 car (that I share....I typically take public transportation.) And also I have a super sweet deal on rent right now at $1000/month, so that extra $900/month will vanish quickly after I lose my rental situation in a year or two.

I just think about being able to buy a house in the future and I won't be able to. The cheapest condo in the city I live is about $500k and I'm sure that will continue to climb. Even if I put a couple hundred dollars a month into saving, I'll be like 60 before I have a down payment saved.

I guess I could move further away, but it's not that much cheaper until you get seriously far, and I don't want to commute for 3 hours a day either.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining. I know I could make different choices. The one thing that I really have regretted not being able to do is travel. Which brings me to my questions:

1) if I don't use credit for anything, does my good credit score benefit me at all? 2) should I just use one of my credit cards with a $20k limit and take a kickass vacation?
So everyone is tearing apart their budget for making plenty of money and only saving a couple hundred dollars each month. OP doesn't really fill in the gaps (taxes? Health insurance? She's oddly defensive about their budget despite asking if it's a good idea to put a vacation on credit) but does add s/he spends $350 on an old dog. Good ol reddit advice:

quote:

I hate saying it but at the same time it needs to be said, it might be time to put your dog down, especially if he's quite old. I leave that with you though, since such things come emotional baggage that I can't gauge through the internet. For sure though, rework your cable bill.
There might be a time and place to decide if your dog's quality of life is struggling and it would be kinder to let go. Asking about a frivolous purchase when the rest of your financial house is more or less ok is not it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5idmwp/what_is_the_point_of_good_credit_if_i_cant_ever/

Switchback fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 18, 2016

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

NancyPants posted:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Don't believe his lies

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Switchback posted:

Speaking of, here's a reddit thread

So everyone is tearing apart their budget for making plenty of money and only saving a couple hundred dollars each month. OP doesn't really fill in the gaps (taxes? Health insurance? She's oddly defensive about their budget despite asking if it's a good idea to put a vacation on credit) but does add s/he spends $350 on an old dog. Good ol reddit advice:

There might be a time and place to decide if your dog's quality of life is struggling and it would be kinder to let go. Asking about a frivolous purchase when the rest of your financial house is more or less ok is not it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5idmwp/what_is_the_point_of_good_credit_if_i_cant_ever/

There is a lot of question marks about that person.

Someone posted that after taxes, they should still be making around 6k a month. Then with student loans/rent/dog bills, still getting like 3k a month. The only other bill that they listed was for 200 dollars for cable.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

TLG James posted:

There is a lot of question marks about that person.

Someone posted that after taxes, they should still be making around 6k a month. Then with student loans/rent/dog bills, still getting like 3k a month. The only other bill that they listed was for 200 dollars for cable.

Stop buying candles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Breetai posted:

Stop buying candles.

No.

• Locked thread