Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, what was even the point behind a slow, fat, poorly armored cruiser with light battleship guns?

Germany: "It'll be a commerce raider, like our battleships!" :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
"It will be able to outfight anything it can't outrun."

Then the 28-knot battleships hit the drawing board.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Astroniomix posted:

Also if the Highschool Fleet colab thing someone mentioned earlier actually happens next year you'll probably be able to get an (almost) identical version of the ship without paying. So that's even less reason to buy it.

At this point I'm wondering why they don't just go with the Kantai Collection collab that way too many players obviously want.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

xthetenth posted:

They're not actually testers at least in my experience, they're more people who try early builds and get asked about the gameplay as well as reporting bugs on the side. That's not the same as actual professional testers.

Your right, but they're distinguished from public test; I take this to mean they (supertesters) are doing log term balance testing that normally a QA team would do.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

At this point I'm wondering why they don't just go with the Kantai Collection collab that way too many players obviously want.

I imagine there's some complications with that now, what with Kadokawa having licensed KC to Sega for making an arcade game for them in Japan.

Or maybe WG doesn't even really know what KC is. It's unlikely as they knew what Arpeggio was however.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

wdarkk posted:

"It will be able to outfight anything it can't outrun."

Then the 28-knot battleships hit the drawing board.

It was actually a reasonable assumption at the time. She was designed laid down at a time when the Washington Naval Treaty still meant that nobody was building any new battleships at all. Battleships of the line that were still in existence were basically top out at 25 knots. The only real threat she couldn't out punch or out run was the HMS Hood and Renown but given the Versailles Treaty restrictions, the Graf Spee was the best the Germans could do.

Also if a German armored cruiser could tie up something like the Renown or Hood for an extended period of time trying to hunt her down while she was god knows where in the world doing commerce raiding, that is a huge win for the Kreigsmarine already.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Your right, but they're distinguished from public test; I take this to mean they (supertesters) are doing log term balance testing that normally a QA team would do.

Except they don't. They are just first touch testers before public test.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Except they don't. They are just first touch testers before public test.

I'm going to point out that testing new lines - and premiums, for that matter - is exclusively supertesters, as they're never accessible to test even in the public tests for everyone else. I don't know enough about the game testing environment to definitively weigh in on this dispute, but them being first touch testers before the public test is rather false for at least certain major new features.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Sperglord Actual posted:

Kancolle doesn't have actual ships. It's just girls with rollerskates and torpedo launchers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Night10194 posted:

Man, what was even the point behind a slow, fat, poorly armored cruiser with light battleship guns?

Germany: "It'll be a commerce raider, like our battleships!" :downs:

Baltic superiority. It's a project that's pre-Nazi. So being able to clown the poo poo out of cruisers is all it really needs, and it doesn't need to be able to that without incurring major loss of capability.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
So far as the Graf Spee goes, I encountered one a week or so ago - we sank each other with torpedoes after he lit me up with hydro, which is kind of a victory I guess? :downsgun:

Also I finally got to the Edinburgh - what should I know, if anything about that ship compared to the Fiji?

And how does retraining work, anyway, assuming you don't just blow right through it with dubloons?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

5 mil supercontainer! :woop:

Soup Inspector posted:

And how does retraining work, anyway, assuming you don't just blow right through it with dubloons?

You have to grind a bunch of captain XP with all skills handicapped or disabled. Paying with credits cuts the required XP in half.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Soup Inspector posted:

If you stick that captain in a premium ship he'll have full use of all his skills without penalty. Retraining captains is the big use of premium ships along with earning extra credits. Otherwise yeah you have to deal with some skills disabled or working at 50%, depending on the skill. Having Last Stand disabled on your DD captain sucks rear end.

Speaking of, I tried to get a decent 100% first win today with a retraining DD captain.

That'll do, Atago. That'll do.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Apparently the shipgirls anime people really, really don't like filthy gaijin so all their poo poo is regionlocked and they dont really do deals with non-japanese companies.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Got my first supercontainer!

It had 250 flags.

250 detonation flags!

So, not bad? Could have been better but I'm definitely going to use 250 det flags.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ranbo das posted:

Apparently the shipgirls anime people really, really don't like filthy gaijin so all their poo poo is regionlocked and they dont really do deals with non-japanese companies.

Well, I mean it is an anime fetishizing the WWII Imperial Japanese Navy (also little girls) and clearly regards the sinking of the ships as tragic without any sort of reflection on the "well maybe there was a reason the bad guys we portray as literal inhuman monsters sunk them".

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I like getting det flags. In terms of things to get that are useful I think they are pretty high up.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

It had 250 flags.

250 detonation flags!

So, not bad? Could have been better but I'm definitely going to use 250 det flags.

I'm starting to think that the det flag supercontainer is a sick joke wargaming plays on some people on purpose for their first supercontainers.

Not saying they're not useful in removing that bit of RNG completely from the game, but before I got mine I already had way too many of them (150+) and I don't really even use them on anything that isn't cruisers and some DD's that get shot a lot. Even before I started paying attention to it, I think I got detonated once every fifteen games or so? It's extremely rare to begin with. Last time I even remember getting blown up was when I got hit by a single stray shell in my Myoko at the start of a match and got instantly Hood'ed, but that was more than thirty games ago.

It's not a very fun supercontainer. Some silver, maybe a day or three of premium, some extra consumables, maybe some doubloons... the number of things that are more useful than 250 detonation flags is pretty big. It's not like you'll care too much about it if you're not playing a competitive mode anyway. But when I get 250 flags I barely use after rolling around ten times for my supercontainer, over the course of several days, it makes me not really want to roll for a super ever again.

OSad fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 17, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Trip report on the Shiratsuyu: this thing is such a huge upgrade over the Hatsuharu it's ridiculous. You don't even need to upgrade it to do well, it just feels a little sluggish with the stock hull rudder. Played only 4 games, stock and half with a retraining captain, and my lowest damage was 71k. It's pretty hilarious when an enemy DD smokes up at a cap (and sits still in it broadside to me) with 1-2 CAs right behind him trying to get into the smoke. 16 torps later they all regret their decisions.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

It had 250 flags.

250 detonation flags!

If you've got an Atlanta, they're pretty much a requirement. Every time I forget my det flag, there's a pretty good chance I'll detonate in it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Detonation flags are the rice and tofu of signal flags. You'll use them, you probably won't be thrilled.

That said, put a detonation flag on every destroyer or you'll regret it later.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ranbo das posted:

Not so much. Kantai Collection has a problem with having girls that would almost assuredly be considered underage in western countries depicted in questionable outfits. I'm sure I don't need to paint a picture here. Lolicon stuff can get the Kantai devs in a lot of trouble if they tried to go overseas with it, so to shield themselves from any liability they soft block anyone outside the country from playing, though the workaround is extraordinarily easy and they won't ban you for playing from outside Japan. This necessarily precludes them from doing a collab with anyone who has a western market, like Wargaming. They'd have to clean up their stuff if they ever planned to, but I doubt they're in any hurry to expand outside of the japanese market.

Warbadger posted:

Well, I mean it is an anime fetishizing the WWII Imperial Japanese Navy (also little girls) and clearly regards the sinking of the ships as tragic without any sort of reflection on the "well maybe there was a reason the bad guys we portray as literal inhuman monsters sunk them".

They gloss over a lot of the negative historical stuff (there are a number of ships in the game that participated in actual war crimes), but there are some very minor references to the Kaiten suicide torpedo, all of them negative. But to say they're anti-western is pretty silly, considering they've added Iowa, Saratoga, Warspite, and Commandment Teste, all allied ships, with plans to add more. Anyone telling you its some japanese nationalism thing is probably only looking at the small amount of users that ARE wackos, but every boat game has their wackos, IE: wehraboos.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

I hear KC got a bunch of Kriegsmarine ships before any other foreign ones. :godwinning:

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016
So I jumped back into the game after a pretty long absence, and I ended up playing versus a few guys from SEAMN (who proceeded to kick my poo poo in because I'm bad). Did WG finally get the clan issue sorted out?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

How would they even add Kantai stuff into the game?

Best case I can see would be a bunch of captains.

Even the HS Fleet colab is reaching a bit because the anime only depicts like 3 useable ships.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

So far as the Graf Spee goes, I encountered one a week or so ago - we sank each other with torpedoes after he lit me up with hydro, which is kind of a victory I guess? :downsgun:

Also I finally got to the Edinburgh - what should I know, if anything about that ship compared to the Fiji?

How did you get to tier 8 without knowing how captain retraining works?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Fperson1 posted:

So I jumped back into the game after a pretty long absence, and I ended up playing versus a few guys from SEAMN (who proceeded to kick my poo poo in because I'm bad). Did WG finally get the clan issue sorted out?

No, we'll be waiting until clans go into open beta (or full release or whatever they call it) to try again.

Sperglord Actual posted:

I hear KC got a bunch of Kriegsmarine ships before any other foreign ones. :godwinning:

They got Italian ships too. You could definitely make the case that they were massive axis wehraboos up until Iowa dropped, at least.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Aramoro posted:

How did you get to tier 8 without knowing how captain retraining works?

I'm not really unaware of it, it's more that I've generally been super lazy and just gone "gently caress it", getting a new captain each time because I couldn't be arsed going through what was probably a very painful grind. (Also don't tell anyone but I am still bad at botes :ssh:)

I think I phrased my question very poorly - I knew what captain retraining is/how it works, it's more that I wasn't sure how to check how far along in the retraining process you were. I assume you just keep an eye on the commander XP bar as per normal, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Arizona is a good ship

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
2017 Preview

I'm kind of disappointed that Soviet Destroyers are the next branch split, it's not like they need that much of a shakeup.

It looks like the leaked commander skills are real.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

2017 Preview

I'm kind of disappointed that Soviet Destroyers are the next branch split, it's not like they need that much of a shakeup.

It looks like the leaked commander skills are real.

I don't get this. There was apparently a decent amount of annoyance in even the Russian base that heavily imaginary Russian lines were being released before actually powerful naval nations like England, France or Italy, and now they're releasing even MORE Russian ships before most of the actual relevant naval power lines are here? Who the gently caress makes these dumbass decisions?

Let alone I'm really loving tired of certain nations getting '50s era ships, with generally extremely powerful AA comparatively, when most nations are stuck with '40s era ones.

As for skills, we'll just have to wait and see. Even if most/all the names were real, the new ones may very well have been changed from the initial leak.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 17, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The below screenshot is a perfect example of why having good DDs is important.

Our DDs got loving mauled. Two Bensons and a Roon sailed right up through B unopposed to found me flat footed outside of C where I was demolishing a NC. Inspite of my team being up in total ships after my side of the map collapsed, they had 4 DDs to our 2 DDs and proceeded to crush us. Hard. Games like this where you start out playing really good suck suck the worst.

Also this game featured a Tirpitz on our team firing HE. At first I thought, well, he's trying to kill the DDs and well...that first salvo against the Roon can be forgiven because he didn't want to stop reloading and switch. But he kept firing HE. I counted 5 HE salvos. The count is important because his argument after he died was 'I didn't have 11 seconds to switch to AP'.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lord Koth posted:

I don't get this. There was apparently a decent amount of annoyance in even the Russian base that heavily imaginary Russian lines were being released before actually powerful naval nations like England, France or Italy, and now they're releasing even MORE Russian ships before most of the actual relevant naval power lines are here? Who the gently caress makes these dumbass decisions?

And it's another 6, 7, 8 branch too, because Smelyi is more or less a Gnevny, and that's gonna struggle at tier 6 already, while Neustrashimy and Kotlin/Project 56 only have the Ognevoi gun layout. How they need to exist and what they'll be armed with is anyone's guess.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

The Arizona is a good ship

It's basically a New Mexico, and the New Mexico is good, so no surprise there. Except I imagine it does worse against CVs than the regular NM.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

:negative:

Is the molotov a fun ship? I'm thinking of picking up something to play with my buddy who's in T6 but I don't want to buy something that will be unfun when uptiered like my poor dusty murmansk.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I've been trying to use the techniques that worked in the Fiji with my Edinburgh and it seems like every game, without fail, I'm getting completely slaughtered by the opposition. Of course, I also keep getting uptiered into tier IX games, but I don't know how much of an impact that's having.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Third Man posted:

:negative:

Is the molotov a fun ship? I'm thinking of picking up something to play with my buddy who's in T6 but I don't want to buy something that will be unfun when uptiered like my poor dusty murmansk.

It is a good ship, but it is still a cruiser with paper thin armor and a huge citadel in a metagame defined by battleships deleting cruisers.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm finally starting to get the hang of hitting enemy destroyers semi consistently with HE from a cruiser. Now if I could just do it with a BB :negative:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I'm finally starting to get the hang of hitting enemy destroyers semi consistently with HE from a cruiser. Now if I could just do it with a BB :negative:

There's actually a very specific trick to it in battleships.

The trick is, hold ctrl and click on the destroyer, and let your secondaries do the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
4 games. 4 wins. Purple stats on the day and doubles done in pretty much all the things I care about. 10/10 good enough for today.