Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
28 years old, starting to get some grey hairs here and there. which research chemicals do i take to make it stop? thanks swole thread for the medical advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Suggest some clippers and a razor.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's okay guys, I managed to stuff down a quart of spaghetti and a cup of red sauce.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

a mysterious cloak posted:

Suggest some clippers and a razor.

DON'T EAT THESE

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

every other male in my family is bald or balding so im super paranoid. i think ive started noticing some thinning and im only 21 :smithicide:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I've been on for almost a year and have lost about a quarter inch of hair around my temples worth it imo

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Tolkien minority posted:

every other male in my family is bald or balding so im super paranoid. i think ive started noticing some thinning and im only 21 :smithicide:

One of my cousins took roids and is bald as gently caress (where most of my cousins still have all their hair). I can't take the risk.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Hey has anyone here tried Cannibal Ferox or Ferox Amped? Need to know what version and flavor is best.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Tolkien minority posted:

The menfolk in my extended family either go thin/balding pretty young or not at all. I'm in my mid-40s and if it were going to happen it would've happened already.

Next family-based bullet to dodge: Dropping dead of sudden heart bullshit in my mid-50s. If that doesn't happen I'm probably good until my 80s and by then we'll either be living in a full Mad Max hellhole or else in a high-tech utopia (hah) anyway, so.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i started taking creatine last week and gained like 8 lbs. I heard it's not actually the bloaty water weight people assume, but it makes your muscles retain water, which is good as hell. is that right or wrong. really i'm just taking it because it came free with some poo poo i ordered so why not

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
creatine is good & bad

in other news, today I ate spagett for breakfast

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Creatine is one of the few supps that have legit research studies behind it that endorse its effectiveness.

Did a single at 495 for squats today then worked back down to 3 sets of 315x8. Leg day in an empty gym on a sunday is great because i can actually grunt loudly. I feel like if i hold poo poo in when i am heavy squating i am gonna have a fuckin aneurysm.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Defiant Sally posted:

One of my cousins took roids and is bald as gently caress (where most of my cousins still have all their hair). I can't take the risk.

Dehumanize yourself and shave your head.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is 3x3 on Bench effective for building strength? On my strength days I was thinking of switching the BP from 3x5 to 3x3. Honestly the real reason is I just would like to try it. I already do 3x8 bench and 3x8-12 dumbell bench on my volume day, so I'm not too worried about hypertrophy. Since going to 3x3 would reduce volume slightly I thought about adding in 2x5 of medium intensity incline bench press after the 3x3 for more variation. I figure the answer here is try it and see how it goes so really I'm just posting because I like talking to idiot fuckers about working out.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Everyone's body responds differently. I like to work up to a super heavy single on the compound lifts then drop down and do hypertrophy for that lift. Then do a bunch of isolation exercises because thats how my body responds best. Master your own body then go to the sauna and master a dude.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Do I have to do it in that particular order? Because I may have already hosed up...

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

No you can jerk off a dude 1st.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
honestly its better to save the cardio for after tho but whatever

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Tomorrow is the '1' day of the 5/3/1 bench press. Can't wait. Will celebrate with nachos (with lots of ground beef).

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Groke posted:

The menfolk in my extended family either go thin/balding pretty young or not at all. I'm in my mid-40s and if it were going to happen it would've happened already.

Next family-based bullet to dodge: Dropping dead of sudden heart bullshit in my mid-50s. If that doesn't happen I'm probably good until my 80s and by then we'll either be living in a full Mad Max hellhole or else in a high-tech utopia (hah) anyway, so.

Go get your blood work done now. I went in recently because men on my dad's side of the family love to have heart attacks in their mid 30s, and turns out I'm in great shape and it was likely due to my dad's side of the family living a lovely lifestyle. Really gave me peace of mind, and if anything was wrong, I would have been able to treat it.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

LordArgh posted:

28 years old, starting to get some grey hairs here and there. which research chemicals do i take to make it stop? thanks swole thread for the medical advice

you are doing it wrong. if you aren't under 25, being a young silver fox is the next best thing.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Decided to do boring but big sets after my normal amrap set yesterday on the heaviest week of the cycle... The DOMS are hilarious and my hunger for meats and burritos is insatiable

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Switching to the Dave Tate diet

*eats 8 poptarts*

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

a mysterious cloak posted:

Decided to do boring but big sets after my normal amrap set yesterday on the heaviest week of the cycle... The DOMS are hilarious and my hunger for meats and burritos is insatiable

Doing 5x10 owns. It hurts so much.

Got a 290 1 RM bench this week. 5/3/1 is a good program.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bone app the teeth posted:

Switching to the Dave Tate diet

*eats 8 poptarts*
Looks like a food log of me as a teenager. Minus the fast food.

Star Crunches, Fudge Rounds, and cosmic brownies (how didn't he have these) own hard. They are cheap as poo poo and I could eat the whole box. Oatmeal Cream Pies, also good. I haven't had any of those in a very long time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 19, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Sprained the poo poo out of my thumb today when I got frustrated with my car door for not wanting to close in freezing temps :suicide:

I still don't know how I managed to do it, tomorrow is back/deadlift day. Probably not going to be able to deadlift god drat it.. Is there a burrito that will fix this?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Constipated posted:

Sprained the poo poo out of my thumb today when I got frustrated with my car door for not wanting to close in freezing temps :suicide:

I still don't know how I managed to do it, tomorrow is back/deadlift day. Probably not going to be able to deadlift god drat it.. Is there a burrito that will fix this?

Start light and see how it goes with hook grip? Also yes, burritos.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
You know hook grip is where the bar literally smashes your thumb into your fingers so hard it keeps the hand from opening? I don't think that would help. Perhaps use a "thumbless hook grip" where the bar is just in the curl of your fingers although I doubt you would be able to go very heavy that way.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

You know hook grip is where the bar literally smashes your thumb into your fingers so hard it keeps the hand from opening? I don't think that would help. Perhaps use a "thumbless hook grip" where the bar is just in the curl of your fingers although I doubt you would be able to go very heavy that way.

Yeah sorry, I was thinking thumbless grip and going light/using straps

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Go get your blood work done now.

Getting it done on a yearly basis already, but otherwise that would have been excellent advice.

(Basically, we have a genetic weakness which means high blood cholesterol is extra-dangerous. My blood cholesterol is fine and I aim to keep it that way.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I always pull thumbless.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I should do the bloodwork thing. Can any doc do it?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I should do the bloodwork thing. Can any doc do it?

Can't answer the second part as I'm not in the US, but with regard to the first, if you're going to do bloodwork, stop lifting for a few weeks, otherwise it changes the liver enzyme test results (it leads to an increase in certain markers for liver damage, despite the liver being completely healthy) - if you know your liver is fine though, you could just mention it to the doctor if it comes up post-testing. Alternatively, if you want to get an idea of liver function, dropping the weights for a few weeks might be an idea.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah I probably should. I got to where I was drinking somewhat heavy. Say about a 6 pack a night give or take 1 for almost a year, now I'm down to 2 or 3. Hopefully that's not liver damage territory.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah I probably should. I got to where I was drinking somewhat heavy. Say about a 6 pack a night give or take 1 for almost a year, now I'm down to 2 or 3. Hopefully that's not liver damage territory.

It would be an idea to get it checked. As well as your T levels, which can be hit pretty hard by regular heavy drinking. Just think of the gains if you cut down further!

I'm pretty much teetotal apart from the occasional glass of wine now - hangovers are the worst feeling in the world.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

I always pull thumbless.

It's a good workout for the forearm.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Did db press today 100lbs (highest my gym has ㅠㅠ) for 9, 8, then bombed out at 6. Dieting is lame. Also having alcohol on a daily basis seems insane to me, but I drink maybe 5 times a year so what do I know. *smirks humbly*

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I only ever casually drink at home alone during the Christmas-New Year period

Oh boy, look at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Being in grad school (especially as a geologist) basically means all of my friends want to get blind drunk every week, which may be hampering me.

Maybe less booze and more chicken and rice in the future for me.