Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Sort of. You only have to do "Story" quests - which are class story and planetary storyline. These are highlighted as "purple" and give you essentially 6x the XP they used to. You can skip the Planetary storylines and supplement with something else, like PvP or Heroics. The good news is you never outlevel a planet with level sync, so everything gives you good XP.

This is actually true for F2P and Preferred as well, however Subscribers get on average 20% more XP from everything so F2P just has to work a bit harder for their XP. Joining a guild gives you a 5-10% XP boost, and you are given +25% XP boosts pretty liberally through the storyline.

Do you get the storyline XP boosts as F2P/Preferred though? It feels like it's something that they would gate behind subscribing and just dangle them in front of you as "hey, you could have got these too if only you just gave us some money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fat_Cow posted:

So just do purple quests and I'll be fine?

Yup!

And make sure you click a referral link for free stuff. If you're a previous player you get 500 extra cartel coins in January!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Do you get the storyline XP boosts as F2P/Preferred though? It feels like it's something that they would gate behind subscribing and just dangle them in front of you as "hey, you could have got these too if only you just gave us some money"

Hmmm you're probably right.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Fat_Cow posted:

So just do purple quests and I'll be fine?

Yeah levelling up isn't really a problem. Do a few sidequests/pvp/space missions if you see enemies higher level than you, but you shouldn't need it.

You don't even need to do all the purple quests if you do other stuff (you have to do the class ones, the "planetary" ones are the same for all classes on each side and technically optional).

This is even easier if you get xp perks/ use the xp boosts you get from quests (you should get enough in the story to last to 70, and they are useless afterwards so make sure to use them!).

e: According to reddit the xp boosts are the same for F2P and subscribers since the end of 2015. Dunno if they're right though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 18, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey DrunkenGarbageCan, what's your stance on Accuracy for Concealment Operative in PvP? I thought you needed at least a little bit.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Hey DrunkenGarbageCan, what's your stance on Accuracy for Concealment Operative in PvP? I thought you needed at least a little bit.

Slinging all those knives around would give the impression of melee white damage but nope Concealment does all yellow tech damage except for the basic attack and Overload Shot. So Accuracy would be a 10% DPS increase at most on two abilities you shouldn't be using rotationaly anyways while any other stat would be a straight DPS increase all-around.

Which sucks because GC sure does love making GBS threads Accuracy Enhanced gear out.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Non-Entity.

It's very inappropriate that the lightsaber non Force Users magically get at the end of Fearsome Rage gets shoved up their bum at the end of it.

Also, because I forgot to post it earlier, we had a Jawa Party on the guild ship yesterday.

Also for the new page:

Aleth posted:

SOMEBODY nominated me to come up with the contest idea so here you go:

:sassargh: STRONGHOLD CHRISTMAS PARTY :sassargh:

Get the Dromund Kaas apartment stronghold if you haven't already got it for a whopping 5k* credits and decorate the crap out of the initial entrance room in whatever manner you so desire to celebrate the time of the year which it currently is. Christmas or whatever.

The rules:
    1) Initial DK apartment entrance room is the only room we're using
    2) 100 decoration limit (which is the amount the room unlocks with)

As for the deadline, judging and how the prizes are going to be awarded our beloved leader will need to work that one out and get back to you.

*Apparently on sale at the moment for a measly 5 credits.

Medullah - how long do you want to run the contest for? I was thinking people might be a bit rushed to get it done before Christmas but on the other hand leaving it until January or whenever might be a bit long.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Do those XP boosts the game loves to hand out apply to Legacy XP or are they useless at max level?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

Also for the new page:

Medullah - how long do you want to run the contest for? I was thinking people might be a bit rushed to get it done before Christmas but on the other hand leaving it until January or whenever might be a bit long.

Your contest man!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Aleth posted:

Also for the new page:

Let it go to Orthodox Christmas

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Slinging all those knives around would give the impression of melee white damage but nope Concealment does all yellow tech damage except for the basic attack and Overload Shot. So Accuracy would be a 10% DPS increase at most on two abilities you shouldn't be using rotationaly anyways while any other stat would be a straight DPS increase all-around.

Which sucks because GC sure does love making GBS threads Accuracy Enhanced gear out.

Yeah I haven't seriously played my operative in a long time, but with 5.0 I'm having more fun with them than any other class. I'll adjust my stats to dump the accuracy - currently using the earpiece/two implants but that ends up bolstering to like 750 which is insane.

Though to be fair, Overload Shot is used way more in PvP than it was previously with the knockback element. Yesterday I held a node for the entire match against 6 people - couldn't kill any, but they couldn't kill me either. :D

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Bilirubin posted:

Let it go to Orthodox Christmas

7th January? Can do if people want that long to pretty up their apartment.

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008
If anyone needs some freebies n stuff, here is my link http://www.swtor.com/r/PpBqzJ :D

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So I just finished Eternal Empire. Enjoyed it on the whole, but definitely two irritants.

Not once, but twice, playing gotcha with a decision to kill Arcann. Christ, in the cutscene, my character held fire for a very long time after I chose to kill the guy, when he should have been earning a couple new holes in his skull. Then failed to verify that he was dead from the "rocks fall." Then, after he was unsurprisingly still alive, the decision to shoot down his shuttle despite a companion being aboard also fails. Makes me look pretty darned incompetent!

Scorpio. Is she only for agents in the main storyline? I'm not sure how that would work out for other classes. In any case, she's one of those where my immediate reaction was that she posed a substantial threat and should be destroyed, and like Kaliyo, it was ridiculous that I had no choice but to take her along instead. And also oblige her desire to be let into the imperial net (!!). To have that assessment so thoroughly verified just points up that I was railroaded into keeping her alive and working with her against my own judgement.

Plus Vaylin surviving too, I suppose. Basically the final battle there didn't actually seem to accomplish much of anything.

Oh, and I guess the whole chapter with the former republic jedi lady was totally ridiculous as an agent, but.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 18, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hulk Smash! posted:

I was swimming in them without a sub.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Strudel Man posted:

So I just finished Eternal Empire. Enjoyed it on the whole, but definitely two irritants.

Not once, but twice, playing gotcha with a decision to kill Arcann. Christ, in the cutscene, my character held fire for a very long time after I chose to kill the guy, when he should have been earning a couple new holes in his skull. Then failed to verify that he was dead from the "rocks fall." Then, after he was unsurprisingly still alive, the decision to shoot down his shuttle despite a companion being aboard also fails. Makes me look pretty darned incompetent!

Scorpio. Is she only for agents in the main storyline? I'm not sure how that would work out for other classes. In any case, she's one of those where my immediate reaction was that she posed a substantial threat and should be destroyed, and like Kaliyo, it was ridiculous that I had no choice but to take her along instead. And also oblige her desire to be let into the imperial net (!!). To have that assessment so thoroughly verified just points up that I was railroaded into keeping her alive and working with her against my own judgement.

Plus Vaylin surviving too, I suppose. Basically the final battle there didn't actually seem to accomplish much of anything.

Oh, and I guess the whole chapter with the former republic jedi lady was totally ridiculous as an agent, but.

Yeah, some of those are dead on to what I felt at points.

I understand that there has to be some degree of 'but thou must', but it really felt heavy handed here. I still can't see how my Pureblood Smuggler who's amazing with her luck and crackerjack timing somehow managed to miss shooting Arcann's shuttle. Her particularly sour 'pissed off cat' scowl afterwards was some consolation but I wonder if it was more at the bad handling in the writing than pissed at Senya over this. As far as Scorpio goes, my Agent knows she's not trustworthy but even with my non-Agents, she's not given them any reason to believe she's trustworthy enough to get her go access the Gravestone or Imperial net. Same goes for Kaliyo, I took every option to say she's not worth recruiting and will only give the Alliance a severe agita attack just doing damage control for all the bs she pulled, but still got stuck having her stick around the base. I took the kill option when it popped just because she was too much of a liability and for my Agent, it was just fulfilling the promise she made way back when Kaliyo backstabbed her before that if she did this again, she was getting the blaster equivalent of a cap busted in her rear end.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I am only to chapter 7 of Fallen Empire and so far I find the story line amazing but the gameplay really boring. Yes, lets just drop a bunch of sky troopers on the path from cutscene 12 to cutscene 13. Its really more like a movie than a game so far. We'll try it on veteran mode next I guess.

Not sure how people can play through it with an instant character however. Seeing how the characters I have been with for the length of the game deal with this new situation adds a ton to one's backstory.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I liked the scorpio stuff because the scale of the betrayal from a bioware videogame companion was such a novelty.

I hadn't played Agent at the time and can't remember if I knew she was a main game companion or not.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

I took the kill option when it popped
Wait, what? Kill Kaliyo? How? When? Is that in the eternal throne one, because I didn't get any such opportunity.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
You have to pick a very specific set of actions but it's in KotFE:

In Chapter 12 whichever one of Jorgan or Kaliyo you DON'T send on the mission to infiltrate the Spire is the one you can kill. At the end of that chapter when they want to go in and save the mission if you deny them then they will disobey you and go in anyway, then in chapter 13 when they come back you have the option to kill or exile rather than just punish them. If you gave them permission to go though you can't kill/exile them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Aaa, dammit, that would have been a nice little reward. And I understand I can't back up and do things differently, either.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 18, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Aaa, dammit, that would have been a nice little reward. And I understand I can't back up and do things differently, either.

The good news is at least making a new character and running through the story again isn't that huge a time commitment. :)

Hell, if you want, you probably have at least 1 token to make a level 60 character that can immediately begin KOTFE with.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

The good news is at least making a new character and running through the story again isn't that huge a time commitment. :)

Hell, if you want, you probably have at least 1 token to make a level 60 character that can immediately begin KOTFE with.

KOTFE/KOTET is one of the few games that I can say I genuinely do not want to play through ever again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You've been saying that for literally a year.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Its the tracer missile animation right?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You guys know me, I'm a staunch defender of the game... But I'm the same way, don't want to go through KOTFE again. KOTET maybe, and maybe a few Valykorian heavy chapters, but overall definitely a play through once and read about/watch on YouTube type experience. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

You guys know me, I'm a staunch defender of the game... But I'm the same way, don't want to go through KOTFE again. KOTET maybe, and maybe a few Valykorian heavy chapters, but overall definitely a play through once and read about/watch on YouTube type experience. :)

My problem is that I have a bunch of alts who have done the first nine KOTFE chapters, and I can't bear to go through the remainder in order to get them to KOTET. :sigh:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

My problem is that I have a bunch of alts who have done the first nine KOTFE chapters, and I can't bear to go through the remainder in order to get them to KOTET. :sigh:

I think you can start KOTET at 65 regardless of your KOTFE progress - it just assigns you the default choices that matter™ for chapters you skip

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.

Finally. A solution to the issue of rollbacks when opening a Secure Crate.

Since they once contained 20 basic comms/common crystals, with 5.0 they originally had 10,000 credits. Turns out 10,000 is more than the max stack of 9,999 so bad things happened.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Virar posted:

Finally. A solution to the issue of rollbacks when opening a Secure Crate.

Since they once contained 20 basic comms/common crystals, with 5.0 they originally had 10,000 credits. Turns out 10,000 is more than the max stack of 9,999 so bad things happened.

Nice. If you've been subbed a while you automatically receive a box with like 2500 credits now to take the place of the 5 basic comms/common crystals they used to send you. CREDIT FARMING HERE WE GO! EASILY MAKE LIKE 1 MILLION PER DAY OF CREATING NEW TOONS AND DELETING THEM!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Medullah posted:

I think two play throughs would be ideal, one uber light, one dark, just to see how little those choices matter in the end (other than millions of dead companions)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Medullah posted:

New character wouldn't have the history with her that demands it, though.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
So is the consensus that Eternal Throne is another lackluster story? Hearing people talk about how much they disliked Fallen Empire killed my interest in playing it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's not that bad, it's very, uhh, Mass-Effecty. Different from the original storylines though, and it's more or less the same story for everyone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I found KOTET to be much more fun than KOTFE. Less dragged out, actual closure, and your choices do somewhat matter.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Ranvia Claus prepares to ride through Dromund Kaas giving all the good boys and girls exactly what they deserve.

Safe within her polar lair, revelers attend to the Three Wise Jawas as they await word from below.

Despite the coming judgment, the halls are festive and joyful. Colorful lights adorn the walls and ceilings, and fresh evergreens are laden with various baubles.

There's even a device set up to convert the priceless Zakuulan water sculpture into a snowblower. Impromptu snowball fights break out early and often.

But make no mistake - the Empress of the Eternal Throne has made many lists, and checked them in triplicate. She knows if you are sleeping, and she knows if you're awake. So you'd better check your loyalties, Citizen, and cut any plans for protests short.

Ranvia is coming to town. :ohdearsass:

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Medullah posted:

I found KOTET to be much more fun than KOTFE. Less dragged out, actual closure, and your choices do somewhat matter.

I second this. I thought KOTFE was just spinning its wheels most of the time.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Casyl posted:

I second this. I thought KOTFE was just spinning its wheels most of the time.
It certainly doesn't help that zero of the antagonists are meaningfully dealt with at the end of it.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

It certainly doesn't help that zero of the antagonists are meaningfully dealt with at the end of it.

Exactly. I mean, how do you call it an expansion when there is literally no closure? Felt like I was watching a season of Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They called it a season. It was season 1. KOTET is season 2.

• Locked thread