Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Another observation. Tarkin orders the loving Death Star to use a single reactor shot to take out the loving communications disk at the top of the tower. This allows A) to show how trivial he is willing to utilize the most awsome weapon and B) gives the heroes time to play Deep Impact on the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
^^^Also he can be :smug: because he knows Krennic is probably inside the tower and will likely die.

banned from Starbucks posted:

no because noone cares about poo poo like that

I mean, it's amusing. Anything that'll piss off whiny racist/sexist fuckers on the internet is a good thing in my book.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

BigglesSWE posted:

That's actually Galen, looking up on Krennic, and it is in the film.

I wondered, because that's exactly what I was thinking.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

gohmak posted:

I saw it again, this time in 2D and you people complaining about uncanny valley for Tarkin and Leia are full of poo poo. If you didn't know of the original actors you wouldn't think it was CG at all. If they lied and said it was Bill Nighy and Fishers daughter you would've cheered the casting choice.

Are you autistic or someone who avoids facial contact? Their faces don't move correctly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They killed Krennic in a pretty bad rear end way by sniping him with the Death Star. I thought that was funny. Like its so loving petty and over the top. Also, they willingly just killed their own men with no issue what so ever.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

As like, a throwaway. They have barely any time together. It seems like it was meant to tie back to like, an opening scene that takes on new importance, like they're looking at the stars and he's like "I worked in the stars once, but now you're my stardust" or something, idk. The importance of the plot point seemed out of balance to how understatedly the nickname is presented previously. Unless you're rigorously taking mental note of every trivial detail the movie throws at you I can't imagine having an "ah ha!" moment.

It's not hard remember a detail that's regularly mentioned and easy to pick out. Either that, or use inference based on context. I think you're rationalizing your own difficulty with noticing it as a flaw with the way the film presents it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Galen Antilles is the equivalent of John Smith I guess

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I have this feeling we'll see Vader's Mustafar castle in Episode VIII. People have pointed out how it was the only new location that wasn't labeled in the movie. I think there may actually be a thought out reason behind it - and that it may have to do with seeing the location again in the future. Who knows? Maybe Kylo Ren, in his Vader fandom, has taken residence there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TheMaestroso posted:

It's not hard remember a detail that's regularly mentioned and easy to pick out. Either that, or use inference based on context. I think you're rationalizing your own difficulty with noticing it as a flaw with the way the film presents it.

Yes it is hard remember detail when film full of useless trivia. Me write notes next time. Confer with excel spreadsheet.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yes it is hard remember detail when film full of useless trivia. Me write notes next time. Confer with excel spreadsheet.

Keep digging dude. It's a callback to a small detail from earlier in the film. This is basically film watching 101.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Wandle Cax posted:

Keep digging dude. It's a callback to a small detail from earlier in the film. This is basically film watching 101.

When exactly does he call her Stardust?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

When exactly does he call her Stardust?

In the very beginning of the film he says it like 3 times

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Also, they willingly just killed their own men with no issue what so ever.

Tarkin and Palpatine seem to have that in common

https://youtu.be/9JLOcquqyJI?t=40s

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hollismason posted:

In the very beginning of the film he says it like 3 times

I seriously must have missed that, or it was such minor chit-chat that I was focusing more on where they were, who was chasing them, and why.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So Rey isn't Luke and Jyn's daughter?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was very confused when Sebulba showed up on Yavin IV and stole that shipment of thermal detonators.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I seriously must have missed that, or it was such minor chit-chat that I was focusing more on where they were, who was chasing them, and why.

Its a throughline in the entire movie. He calls her it when shes a kid. He says it again a third in at the hologram. Pretty sure he also says it at Eadu (where she is calling him Papa like at the very beginning of the movie). Then the plans are named Stardust and Jyn is like STARDUST...ITS THAT ONE FOR SURE. And everyone watching the movie is like "Duh"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jerkface posted:

Its a throughline in the entire movie. He calls her it when shes a kid. He says it again a third in at the hologram. Pretty sure he also says it at Eadu (where she is calling him Papa like at the very beginning of the movie). Then the plans are named Stardust and Jyn is like STARDUST...ITS THAT ONE FOR SURE. And everyone watching the movie is like "Duh"

Oh well. In my defense, I was sitting in front of a mouthbreathing dweeb who laughed like a hyena every time something recognizable happened. That was the only clue I had that a reference was being made (also when everyone clapped because someone named "gold leader" showed up).

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Hollismason posted:

They killed Krennic in a pretty bad rear end way by sniping him with the Death Star. I thought that was funny. Like its so loving petty and over the top. Also, they willingly just killed their own men with no issue what so ever.

Its like the ultimate punishment for interrupting your boss at a company meeting in front of everyone.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So Rey isn't Luke and Jyn's daughter?

You never know, when she got blown up one of her eggs might have used the force and landed on Luke's toilet seat.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I love how you go from this:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

To this:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh well. In my defense, I was sitting in front of a mouthbreathing dweeb who laughed like a hyena every time something recognizable happened.

Goons tell you it was splattered throughout, yet you were overly critical about something you failed to hear. You then proceed to blame the "mouthbreathing dweeb" who was obviously having a great time.

You sound like a loving blast.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Caeks posted:

Goons tell you it was splattered throughout, yet you were overly critical about something you failed to hear. You then proceed to blame the "mouthbreathing dweeb" who was obviously having a great time.

You sound like a loving blast.

The first thirty minutes are an overwhelming infodump of characters, places, and names that we often never revisit and the lumpy structure and tonal inconsistencies are confusing.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The first thirty minutes are an overwhelming infodump of characters, places, and names that we often never revisit and the lumpy structure and tonal inconsistencies are confusing.

I don't know how it was confusing - I was able to keep track of everything just fine. I'm not a "Star Wars" nerd by any means. I don't consume any Star Wars Universe media outside of the movies, and I still thought everything was really easy to follow.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Caeks posted:

I don't know how it was confusing - I was able to keep track of everything just fine. I'm not a "Star Wars" nerd by any means. I don't consume any Star Wars Universe media outside of the movies, and I still thought everything was really easy to follow.

:shrug:

After the fourth planet hop and ninth shallow conversation about plot points and people with goofy names I felt tired.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Can't wait to get the ultimate guide. I browsed through one at the bookstore and its a combo of the cross section and the visual guidebooks. Neat info, like the Black lady senator in the Yavin scene was from Taris!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
The movie was really good but the characters were seriously bad. Sassy robot and blind monk were really good. And the last five minutes gave me a gigantic nerd boner.

Also Whitaker was insanely underused even if he's a dollar store Darth Vader I could barely understand

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

reagan posted:

Are you autistic or someone who avoids facial contact? Their faces don't move correctly.

Watch it again. You are wrong

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just watched Rogue One with my gf. We both avoided any trailers and discussions and went in blind.

We loving loved it! Nonstop action, really high production, classy fan service, dudes getting blowed up, rebels actually being badass rebels: a good film.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

^^^Also he can be :smug: because he knows Krennic is probably inside the tower and will likely die.

I mean, it's amusing. Anything that'll piss off whiny racist/sexist fuckers on the internet is a good thing in my book.

Shooting someone in the dick pisses off no one because it's always funny to see people get hit in the genitals.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 18, 2016

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Can't wait to get the ultimate guide. I browsed through one at the bookstore and its a combo of the cross section and the visual guidebooks. Neat info, like the Black lady senator in the Yavin scene was from Taris!

Taris, eh? Wow! I wonder what this will mean for the films going forward!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mameluke posted:

Taris, eh? Wow! I wonder what this will mean for the films going forward!

My understanding is that they recycled the name Taris (in Rebels or the TFA novel or something) for a new planet that is not Taris from KotOR

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

gohmak posted:

Nah you're literally an autist with a broken brain if you didn't immediately recognise the CGI, I don't know how anyone wouldn't notice the creepy and unusual movements of his head and eyes straight away.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

gohmak posted:

Yeah, everyone's wrong but you dude. Nailed it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Someone should get the clip of Jyn climbing the ladder and set it to Snake Eater.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got dragged to see this against my will (not a SW fan ever since I stupidly paid to see Attack of the Clones) and was surprised how much i dug it. Didn't notice any sign of reshoots while J was watching, nor did I realise that the space admiral guy was CGI until reading this thread. (Leia was pretty obvious though).

Is it worth checking out Revenge of the Sith or the animated film? I haven't seen either.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Seedge posted:

Someone should get the clip of Jyn climbing the ladder and set it to Snake Eater.

Hah, that was going through my head too then.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The animated film is just a random arc of the TV series. The show is almost entirely 3 to 4 episode standalone arcs that loosely form a timeline

Weirdly the worst arc from the entire first season was chosen for the film, where Ahsoka is still an annoying character who calls Anakin skyguy a lot.

It's pretty rough, honestly, despite the later seasons of the show actually getting really good and being the only decent clone wars content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I got dragged to see this against my will (not a SW fan ever since I stupidly paid to see Attack of the Clones) and was surprised how much i dug it. Didn't notice any sign of reshoots while J was watching, nor did I realise that the space admiral guy was CGI until reading this thread. (Leia was pretty obvious though).

Is it worth checking out Revenge of the Sith or the animated film? I haven't seen either.

Revenge of the Sith is a bad film but a great novel. The reason for this is that the author flat out cut out huge chunks of the film and rewrote every single line of dialogue. It's kind of surprising that it was released because it's a pretty big indicator of how easy it would have been to make the prequels work.

• Locked thread