Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sicario is amazing but don't do what I did and try to watch it in bed while you're really tired. I accidentally fell asleep and had to watch it again this morning.

e: by which I mean to say, it's more quiet/low-key than one might presume from its plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

precision posted:

Sicario is amazing but don't do what I did and try to watch it in bed while you're really tired. I accidentally fell asleep and had to watch it again this morning.

e: by which I mean to say, it's more quiet/low-key than one might presume from its plot.

Sicario (on Amazon Prime) was riveting and had me glued to the screen. And I have a low tolerance for "deliberately paced" movies.

Did anyone hear the news that the old Robert Stack narrated Unsolved Mysteries will be coming to Netflix by the end of the year? I can't be the only person here excited about this.

Hat Thoughts posted:

How's Brown Sugar?

Seconding this question. Specifically how's the video quality?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Sicario is probably a great sleep-inducer movie.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Sicario is boring as gently caress and I dont understand why people like it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just binged through The OA which premiered on Netflix today.

Really gripping in some parts but off the wall silly in others and I can see the ending pissing lots of people off. Go into it blind i guess.

Not sure yet if i hated the whole of it overall but it certainly was a thing. :stare:

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 17, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly don't understand how someone could find Sicario boring.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I sometimes have a hell of a time getting into the first 1/4 or 1/3 of a movie because of my mood or whatnot. Sicario was good as hell but I can see why someone might turn it off early. I've got a bunch of stuff that I keep not managing to get 10-30 minutes into and that's mainly on me and my own mood rather than the film being "slow."

If you're bored by Sicario go watch Kill Ratio or Blood Father come back and tell me what you thought so we can cater to your momentary whims and reductive dismissal of a film. Or hell, go watch Lucky Number Sle7en or Dead Man's Shoes, and tell us how boring and trite they were, but make sure to explain why. Not all movies are for everyone, not all are rewatchable, and not all work at a certain time or place for the audience who's attempting to watch it.

If your only opinion is "it was boring and trite" then so is your posting, imho. Feel free to delve into why you thought it was bad or uninteresting - rather than coming off as somehow superior to a movie someone else probably liked itt.

For instance, I recently saw the newest Magnificent Seven and while it was okay, it had some really obnoxious poo poo that seemed like ti was trying to go all mainstream libueral bias - I don't recall half the people surviving in Seven Samurai or Magnificent Seven (although it's been a while since I saw the original mag7) - and were all the survivors literally just minority raced people in the party the only ones who survived? That seemed a bit clumsy, at best

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 17, 2016

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
3% is pretty cool. It's a foreign Netflix original show about this poverty stricken dystopia down in South America. There's one bastion of decent living left on the Offshore, an island where everyone lives in paradise. In order to make it there the poor have to go through this test that apparently only 3% ever pass. The test mostly revolves around weird logic puzzles, and there's a lot of intrigue and betrayal. It's nothing mindblowing, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I dont think Sicario is boring but I could see it being pretty easy to doze off to

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Whoever recommended High-Rise has horrible taste.

If you like weird hosed up psychedelic movies with editing and writing that makes you think you're tripping balls, and a horrible over the top and pounded-in-your-face class warfare theme, then I guess it'd be up your alley. None of the characters make sense at all. Literally every single person in the movie is a psychopath.

Not even Tom Hiddleston's acting and a bunch of titties could save that horrendous piece of poo poo. Watch the first 10 minutes and if you don't like it, skip it. I trudged through and regretted it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
your condemnation makes High-Rise sound like a better movie then it is and i liked High-Rise haha

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

If you like weird hosed up psychedelic movies with editing and writing that makes you think you're tripping balls, and a horrible over the top and pounded-in-your-face class warfare theme, then I guess it'd be up your alley. None of the characters make sense at all. Literally every single person in the movie is a psychopath.

Not even Tom Hiddleston's acting and a bunch of titties could save that horrendous piece of poo poo. Watch the first 10 minutes and if you don't like it, skip it. I trudged through and regretted it.

I agree with this, sadly. High Rise was just like the book. Slow, a little clunky, and..just trying to hard, I guess? I loved Tom in it, but if he hadn't been in it, I would have just cut my losses and skipped to the end.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

tweet my meat posted:

3% is pretty cool. It's a foreign Netflix original show about this poverty stricken dystopia down in South America. There's one bastion of decent living left on the Offshore, an island where everyone lives in paradise. In order to make it there the poor have to go through this test that apparently only 3% ever pass. The test mostly revolves around weird logic puzzles, and there's a lot of intrigue and betrayal. It's nothing mindblowing, but it's definitely worth a watch.
It's apparently directed by the cinematographer of City of God (it's a Brazilian show if you can't tell). I've scrolled right by it when it's come up earlier, but this makes it sound interesting.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I want to like The OA but i can't shake the feeling it was written by someone whose kid is an iredeemable piece of poo poo

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Inspector Hound posted:

I want to like The OA but i can't shake the feeling it was written by someone whose kid is an iredeemable piece of poo poo

I thought the first episode was really good but about around episode 4 it really started to weaken and just got more and more corny from there. There's very little development for a couple of what should be more important characters and some really unnecessary scenes The second scientist researching the NDEs. Wtf?! Came out of nowhere and added nothing. I watched it through to the end because I'm a glutton for punishment and I can't help but feel a really good premise was just totally wasted and the ending was just bleh, really? .

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 17, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bored As gently caress posted:

I feel like you're just restating features as if they're bugs

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Gayby Baby is on Netflix and good, watch Gayby Baby.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The OA might be the most hilariously pretentious thing I've ever watched, and yes, I've seen sense8 (and loved it!)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

I thought the first episode was really good but about around episode 4 it really started to weaken and just got more and more corny from there. There's very little development for a couple of what should be more important characters and some really unnecessary scenes The second scientist researching the NDEs. Wtf?! Came out of nowhere and added nothing. I watched it through to the end because I'm a glutton for punishment and I can't help but feel a really good premise was just totally wasted and the ending was just bleh, really? .

Im getting close to finishing and I feel pretty much the same way. I loved The Cell, Flatliners, and Sense8 and this seemed like a big mash of those things, but I was shouting at my TV wishing they weren't making some of these lame choices. More than anything, the spoiler you mentioned reminded me of Laurence Fishburne in Predators: awesome, intriguing concept you can't wait to see what they do with oop and he's dead. I got the same feeling of writers trying to stuff in more ideas than they could in the time they had, but they had eight hour-plus episodes and chose to use the bulk of their time dragging out just the strangest things.

edit: Jesus Christ the ending

edit 2: please do not misconstrue that as an endorsement, dont watch The OA

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 18, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
kind of old but Lucky Number Slevin is a bad movie you stupid goons

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy remains one of my favorite films on Netflix and will get recommended in here every time I rewatch it. It's easily the most intelligent, intense, slow burn spy flick I've ever seen. It'll probably take a careful viewing or a rewatch to really catch everything that happens, but it's so worth it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy remains one of my favorite films on Netflix and will get recommended in here every time I rewatch it. It's easily the most intelligent, intense, slow burn spy flick I've ever seen. It'll probably take a careful viewing or a rewatch to really catch everything that happens, but it's so worth it.

Yeah, I absolutely loved it. Think it's time for a rewatch.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

tweet my meat posted:

I recommended it a few pages ago with no response, but check out The Night Manager on Prime if you enjoyed that. It's also a well done John Le Carre adaptation starring Loki & House. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I kind of feel like I shouldn't be enjoying The Man in the High Castle but in the last few days I have gone through the first season and started on the second. I think the main plots are not really that interesting and the characters make stupid decision after stupid decision but I really like the setting and the alternate history stuff. Also the trade minister is cool.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I haven't watched S2 yet, but S1 boiled down to: the trade minister and the obergrupenfuhrer are awesome, Juliana and Frank are not, and Joe is the worst.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

fishtobaskets posted:

I recommended it a few pages ago with no response, but check out The Night Manager on Prime if you enjoyed that. It's also a well done John Le Carre adaptation starring Loki & House. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Solid recommendation. I didn't enjoy it as much as Tinker Tailor, but it was very exciting and scratched the same itch. Another Le Carre story adaptation that I love is A Most Wanted Man which is on Hulu. It's a solid film with a fantastic performance by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, one of his last roles before his death.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I know that this thread harps on it all of the time, but it can't be said enough. Amazon's interface sucks. I didn't even know it had Citizenfour!

Has anyone seen Sea of Trees yet?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I haven't watched S2 yet, but S1 boiled down to: the trade minister and the obergrupenfuhrer are awesome, Juliana and Frank are not, and Joe is the worst.

I'm only a few eps in but so far it's quite a step up from season 1.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hat Thoughts posted:

How's Brown Sugar?

I have a small (okay, loving huge) obsession for 70s exploitation flicks so it is completely my jam. I love it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
OA is a pretentious , art shool students wet dream and oh my god is it so loving bad. I hate to use this term because it makes me sound like an alt-right rear end in a top hat, but the whole thing felt like it was written while in someone's 'safe space'. Lets stop school shootings with interpretive dance!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

OA is a pretentious , art shool students wet dream and oh my god is it so loving bad. I hate to use this term because it makes me sound like an alt-right rear end in a top hat, but the whole thing felt like it was written while in someone's 'safe space'. Lets stop school shootings with interpretive dance!

I don't like to think that i get offended, but even after having slept on it i can't really describe the end as anything but offensive or at least ridiculously tone deaf and in unthinkably poor taste.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

OA doesn't look like it had any short blue men or space cops. Pass.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sX_Dp6CbT4&t=26s

I haven't seen season 2 yet but that's an accurate summary of what watching season 1 was like after it became obvious that the resistance story was going to be yet another tedious love triangle.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I am far from a movie snob. Explaining why I find something boring or not entertaining seems like a difficult thing to do. I guess its just not for me. Here is what I remember.

dead bodies in the walls, drugs, women cop has intense look on her face, long plane ride to secret meeting, women cop has intense look on her face, long drive through the desert to a secret meeting, women cop has intense look on her face, women cop doesn't know what the gently caress is going on and neither do I, long drive through the desert to a secret meeting, women cop has intense look on her face, some people get killed, long drive through the desert with some army guys to a secret meeting, women cop has intense look on her face, bunch of people get killed, the end

not ever trying to be superior to anyone especially in a matter of opinion ... I guess Ive always heard great things about it, which is why I watched it in the first place, and I have just never "got it", in that way. So when I say it was boring... first that's my honest opinion and second I guess Im hoping someone could explain what Im missing. I honestly like to enjoy things that are good.

My posting is boring and trite, in fact its kind of like my thing.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Minimalism: A Documentary was really annoying to watch. Compared to a lot of people I live a more minimalist lifestyle. The hidden theme of the documentary seemed to be "Rich, privileged white people don't have to worry about anything."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

tweet my meat posted:

It's excellent, but I'd also recommend the novel and the Alec Guinness miniseries. I would love to see The Honorable Schoolboy get a similar treatment to the Gary Oldman version though.

If any of you haven't watched Columbo, get on it before it leaves Netflix next month. Easily up there with the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes as the best detective show ever.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Any good Crime documentaries similar to "Paradise Lost", that are on Netflix?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Mr. F! posted:

Any good Crime documentaries similar to "Paradise Lost", that are on Netflix?

Dear Zachary

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
OA is definitely in the "watch to see how bad it gets" camp. I wonder which Netflix exec's fetish is little girls with special powers in sensory deprivation tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I'm only a few eps in but so far it's quite a step up from season 1.

If I'm not mistaken, the first season was originally written as a four-part SyFy miniseries before Amazon picked it up, which is why there was so much awful padding. The second season definitely feels much more coherent.