Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dienes posted:

As someone with a neighbor that sells drugs, to the point where people were passed out in a car with meth pipes in 80 degree weather and nearly died, when you call the cops they don't swat the place. They might send a car to drive past it slowly later in the day.

Okay, I'm willing to believe response varies by jurisdiction, and/or that my perceptions are warped by reading too many horror stories in the format "cops followed an obviously bad tip and killed my dog/husband/infant."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Gluten Freeman posted:

and this guy, this absolute dumbass, this stupid fuckwit

update: he was immediately fired

quote:

I literally just checked my email, I should have checked it earlier. My manager sent me an email that she filled a complaint directly, she has witnesses which she does her friends were there. He told me to come and collect my things and go through the formal procedure on monday.
Once the company fires you they send you to a job employment agency that the company is directly involved with to help you find another job.

I'm not allowed to go back to my desk. Security has packed it for me and it's in the reception area as you walk in. I fill out the form at the reception with my manager and then that's it. I don't go anywhere near my desk. Only reason I'm going in is because of the Job agency, you need to fill out a form and then they make sure I leave. My desk is no where near hers. Her office is on the top floor where her father is.

The thing I feel bad about is she does have a son and daughter. It's known she is a parent, that must have been what tipped her over the edge bringing her kids and my boss grandchildren into it.

i like that he is still completely unaware of what exactly he did wrong there

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Holy poo poo, that dude is depleted-uranium dense. That's gonna be a fun chat with the job agency.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I do feel a smidge bad for that dude tho, it was a holiday party and it sounds like he had no actual work contact with the person in question, what he did was entirely inappropriate but I dunno if losing his sole source of income in a country you can go without shelter, food, and healthcare when jobless is super necessary in those circumstances.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The real victim

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

I do feel a smidge bad for that dude tho, it was a holiday party and it sounds like he had no actual work contact with the person in question, what he did was entirely inappropriate but I dunno if losing his sole source of income in a country you can go without shelter, food, and healthcare when jobless is super necessary in those circumstances.

Thinking about the awful consequences of unemployment might be something a job holder should take into account. I had two events in my current job that I probably would have been fired from at a less forgiving workplace, both alcohol related. If they had not been solely non-job related/inappropriate blowing off of steam for reasonable reasons, I would have been fired, and probably deserve it. I *can* guarantee I would have been same day fired for anything like that person's story. Had any employee of mine ever done such a thing they would have been fired as soon as I could have done it.

Oddly enough, when I was in the Navy I had a similar situation occur. The young women that worked under me approached me at quarters on deployment and said "Petty Officer ***, Thisdude'slastname keeps pulling his dick out of his pants before quarters because he thinks it is funny! He just pulls it back in whenever the door opens and you never see it!" There was not a god drat thing I could do about it, even after he admitted it! It was incredibly frustrating. Everyone kept saying things so close to "Boys will be boys! We are on deployment, I am sure he is just steamed up and ready for his wife when we get back! They probably loved it!" This upset me, and to rectify it I arranged through dubious means for him to get in trouble via other methods. To this day I am embarrassed by it, but it was the only way I could shake this guy. He was a cancer. ( I stole his name-stamped underwear, took it up to officer country, defecated in it in large quantities, and slammed it against the captain's dayroom cabin)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

The real victim

I dunno what more you want me to couch that statement in than "what he did was entirely inappropriate", I'm just specifying that in the context of it not being someone he actually works with then I dunno if his job is really the appropriate avenue of punishment particularly in the us where unemployment can mean homelessness.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno what more you want me to couch that statement in than "what he did was entirely inappropriate", I'm just specifying that in the context of it not being someone he actually works with then I dunno if his job is really the appropriate avenue of punishment particularly in the us where unemployment can mean homelessness.

I am kinda confused about this. The US has unemployment, which you absolutely can collect if fired. In many, perhaps most countries in this world, unemployment can lead to homelessness. It was a job related function they were at, so you probably should assume everyone there relates to the job in some meaning, or at least treat them as if they were a representative of the company. Is the UK/EU so magnanimous that I could show up to a company party and harass a Dutch person by calling them a "Cheese-head, Cloggie, or Marsh-friend of the family" without expecting to get in trouble?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am kinda confused about this. The US has unemployment, which you absolutely can collect if fired. In many, perhaps most countries in this world, unemployment can lead to homelessness. It was a job related function they were at, so you probably should assume everyone there relates to the job in some meaning, or at least treat them as if they were a representative of the company. Is the UK/EU so magnanimous that I could show up to a company party and harass a Dutch person by calling them a "Cheese-head, Cloggie, or Marsh-friend of the family" without expecting to get in trouble?

In this particular context it's not like he was harassing a coworker tho, he said some rude things at a holiday party that happened to be directed at a relative of the ceo. Obviously he shouldn't have said those things but at the same time it doesn't look like it's something that would actually affect either his work or the people he works with so I'm just a bit eh about this being a good series of events. I'm not trying to defend the guy I just kind of feel it's a sad situation all around.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

In this particular context it's not like he was harassing a coworker tho, he said some rude things at a holiday party that happened to be directed at a relative of the ceo. Obviously he shouldn't have said those things but at the same time it doesn't look like it's something that would actually affect either his work or the people he works with so I'm just a bit eh about this being a good series of events. I'm not trying to defend the guy I just kind of feel it's a sad situation all around.

He's a shitbird, is aggressively so, and is extremely stupid when doing something so flagrant. Any company would let him go as it reflects extremely poorly on his work or possible interaction with anyone outside the company, and reveals him to be a lawsuit bumbling around in human flesh.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

no the daughter does work at the same company, if you read his initial post he says something like "she has this really high up position but it's only because she's the boss's daughter"

plus he knew she was the boss's daughter, and he knew that she had kids

plus that doesn't even matter, he was sexually harassing and making homophobic comments towards a woman at a work function and there's no "but actually..." that makes me feel much sympathy for him

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

I can understand where you are coming from and think this may be a cultural difference. Many corporations in the US feel that their employees are extensions of themselves and thus represent them, if not at all times, certainly at company functions. The USA has swung very far into the notion that Corporations are people in the last few years, and as part of that, oddly enough people are less themselves and more a part of their corporation, if that makes any distopian sense. US media and law has not necessarily made it any easier either. Especially if the employee is a member of a largely unpopular corporation.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

She also works there, though, so he was harassing a coworker. He probably got a severance check, or unemployment, and there's an on site job placement program for him? What's there to feel sorry for him about. He sucks, his life isn't over, he didn't learn a thing.

You're wrong about it not affecting the people he works with. I sincerely doubt she's the sole gay person working at that company. Not firing him would have encouraged a hostile work environment where bigots would feel emboldened to say lovely things at work or work functions. Pretty bad for morale.

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

( I stole his name-stamped underwear, took it up to officer country, defecated in it in large quantities, and slammed it against the captain's dayroom cabin)

Even if it worked, I still reckon any situation that involves flinging your own poo poo is not great.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I work for the largest private sector employer in the U.K. Any company functions, including Xmas parties, leaving parties etc. are treated as an extension of the workplace. He may as well have called her out on her sexuality in the payroll office.

We recently dismissed a manager who groped the breasts of a young female employee on a works night out at a local bar.

I don't understand how anyone could think it's okay to behave like a knob just because the booze is flowing and you're out of the office.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Skratte posted:

She also works there, though, so he was harassing a coworker. He probably got a severance check, or unemployment, and there's an on site job placement program for him? What's there to feel sorry for him about. He sucks, his life isn't over, he didn't learn a thing.

You're wrong about it not affecting the people he works with. I sincerely doubt she's the sole gay person working at that company. Not firing him would have encouraged a hostile work environment where bigots would feel emboldened to say lovely things at work or work functions. Pretty bad for morale.
You don't get unemployment if you're fired with cause but yeah if he was creating an environment with lgbt people he worked with that made them feel uncomfortable he should have certainly been fired. I don't disagree with any of that I just think the story is sad.

e: never mind, I don't actually support the guy and am not trying to die on this hill.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 18, 2016

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Verimus posted:

Even if it worked, I still reckon any situation that involves flinging your own poo poo is not great.

While not ideal, nothing in the military is. And, uh, oddly enough in the non dangerous areas of the military the big worry is making GBS threads your pants. That is something you might not ever recover from in a 20 year career. Especially if that poo poo ends up somewhere.

Lets put it like this: I told my direct NCO, a real NCO, and my DIV-O about this dude pulling his dick out. They were pretty much like "Dick out, so what?" and I said I was going to take it further. They made it *certainly* clear that if I did they would look bad and I would feel worse. The right thing would have been to soldier on, say "gently caress it", and just keep going up. But I had 4 years left on my contract at this point. I would have been hosed. I felt worse than I had ever felt in my life. I was torn between helping these poor girls who were getting harassed and loving my life over for four years. Also, every level I took it further the more people would know, and I was not sure these women wanted their names and situations plastered all over the place. It was a difficult situation for me, especially considering all the people I alerted to this should have given a poo poo about their sailors, but didn't. What I needed was that guy off the boat, and I was willing to do what it took. Let the fact that I had to poo poo in someone else's marked underwear and spread it over a door as opposed to simply tell my reporting officer(s) what was going on inform you of how really utterly lovely the US Navy really is.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
on the one hand, yeah it sucks to say something stupid and have your life completely thrown into disarray because of it

on the other hand, someone who is going to do something so stupid is a big liability in a for-profit entity and it's good to sniff out people this clueless and 86 them

like to start hitting on people at your company party like it's a singles bar? and then double and triple down on the idiocy? might as well jump out a window

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
That's the great thing about free speech.

You can say whatever you want, but there are still consequences.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
he also probably acted worse than how how he reported it on account of him being a complete dipshit

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

monkeytennis posted:

I don't understand how anyone could think it's okay to behave like a knob just because the booze is flowing and you're out of the office.

Yeah, I think it is somewhat reasonable to assume if you do something bad enough it does not matter where it occurred. A knob here, a knob there sort of thing. I'm ex military so that is kinda ingrained in me, so I admit I may have a bias, but at some level I would think all people should realize that at some level they are the face of their company. The bigger company you work for, the bigger target you are as well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

stump collector posted:

he also probably acted worse than how how he reported it on account of him being a complete dipshit

That's the great thing about these stories. You can usually assume people are biased in their own favor, and if he's coming out as this big a dumbass in his own story then oh boy I wish we could hear her side of things.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

stump collector posted:

I was gonna say. He was blasted, who knows what the hell else he decided to say but omitted

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
The decision to fire that guy is 100% proper. He would have been fired in a heartbeat, in any U.S. company, regardless of the position of the person he harassed, because what he did is clearly sexual harassment and if the perpetrator wasn't immediately fired, the victim can sue the company for a LOT of money. Especially if there were witnesses.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

sincx posted:

The decision to fire that guy is 100% proper. He would have been fired in a heartbeat, in any U.S. company, regardless of the position of the person he harassed, because what he did is clearly sexual harassment and if the perpetrator wasn't immediately fired, the victim can sue the company for a LOT of money. Especially if there were witnesses.

Also, it was, uh, pretty mean and gross. I don't want to sound like a dickboy but if I was in an at will state I would have fired my person if they made a comment like that.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Double post, but thank loving Christ I am the person who gets drunk and makes nice compliments almost all of the time!
*edit* it is because I like humans and people that are humans!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

From what he has written I completely agree with the sacking, I'm not sure what its like in the US but I imagine that the guy would have some sort of platform if he believes he was unfairly dismissed. I mean, its apparent he wasn't and the fact that doesn't quite get why is hilarious.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Maybe it's 'cause I like drugs a lot more than alcohol, but I sincerely cannot understand how otherwise-rational people get so loving plastered at a company party that they do poo poo like this.

I mean, seriously, these aren't 21-year-olds at their first frat party here, Jesus Christ, have you not figured out the whole 'proper time/place' thing yet? I've been hearing these Christmas party horror stories my entire life.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
Well goddamn, I finally get caught up and I find a post that looks to be comedy gold and by the time I tried to post, it got removed. The title was something along the lines of: "Me 21F. My cousin 17M wants to do interpretive dance at grannys funeral. We said no and his family is mad at us now."

Also missed the update about the emotionless robot parents that decided their kid wasn't a good fit. Glad to see they won't have to deal with any awkwardness at future family affairs.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

Maybe it's 'cause I like drugs a lot more than alcohol, but I sincerely cannot understand how otherwise-rational people get so loving plastered at a company party that they do poo poo like this.

I mean, seriously, these aren't 21-year-olds at their first frat party here, Jesus Christ, have you not figured out the whole 'proper time/place' thing yet? I've been hearing these Christmas party horror stories my entire life.

I have a theory about this.

Once I got my first job that was cool enough to have a Christmas party with an open bar, right before the party I started hearing a bunch of stories from coworkers about how crazy they got at last year's party. The problem with these stories is that your middle aged coworkers idea of a "crazy" night is having 3 drinks and singing out loud while they dance, but they hype it up as "Everyone got totally wasted!"

So the younger coworkers go into the party with an idea of "Everyone's gonna get crazy wasted!" not realizing you should only get business drunk at a business party.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tats aren't my thing and i woulda given the same answer that guy did.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Office Christmas parties with open bars exist expressly to reveal jackasses and then fire them. HTH

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I just flat out refuse to go out with my coworkers. I have zero interest in seeing them outside the absolute mandatory times.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You need funner coworkers.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
There's a reason "don't poo poo where you eat" exists - being too open / friendly / romantic at work can backfire in a major way. Fortunately for us plenty of people ignore that wisdom and post the fallout on reddit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol when I left my last gig I got actually drunk with coworkers at my going away party, we had fun.

I agree with ArbC though, it's kinda messed up that our society's punishment for acting a huge prick at a party is effectively to threaten that person's entire family with homelessness. That is not commensurate.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You act like a fuckwit, you get excluded.It's just that acting like a fuckwit at work leads your family having no money. If you'd get fired immediately for saying it in normal business hours, then you absolutely should be fired for saying it at a work event.

Different story if he said it at a random bar and it just so happened to be a colleague.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Man it's just so unfair that sexually harassing my coworkers has consequences

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I agree with ArbC though, it's kinda messed up that our society's punishment for acting a huge prick at a party is effectively to threaten that person's entire family with homelessness. That is not commensurate.
the capitalist relies on the threat of ultimate sanctions to maintain his power. his icy grip is the grasp of death and he must perish like a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I agree with ArbC though

This is your clue to reconsider your opinion.

Dude is getting help with job placement even, don't cry for him.