Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Meridian and Sub Rosa are two different kinds of bad. Sub Rosa you have to take breaks from during viewing because it's so stupid and embarrassing. Meridian you have to take breaks from during viewing because it's so loving boring your eyes just glaze over while you're trying to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Astroman posted:

Lance Parkin, yes that Lance Parkin...

I still had to look up who that was.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Oh god I hate that episode. It's just painful in every single way. Sub Rosa is spookaly good bad.

So those long vests Klingons wear, what do you think they keep in the pockets? My guess, sunflower seeds. Also O'brien's Altair Sandwich looks great. I imagine its on a sour dough roll.

Sunflower seeds are without honor. Pistachios are a true warrior's snack.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I've heard they cast the single worst character in the entire regular line-up of Walking Dead as the Captain of the new show.

Let's hope the writers are entirely responsible for her sucking over there.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fister Roboto posted:

Sunflower seeds are without honor. Pistachios are a true warrior's snack.

Klingons prize the bad pistachios in the bag as a delicacy

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Blazing Ownager posted:

So I've heard they cast the single worst character in the entire regular line-up of Walking Dead as the Captain of the new show.

No, Maggie's not been cast, I'm not sure what you mean :confused:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Meridian

Hey I just met you and this is crazy, but I've resigned from Starfleet, so let me travel to another dimension with you maybe.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Meridian is part of Dax's weird manic pixie dream girl side, back when they really had no clue how to handle her. It sucks.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
On the flipside, Meridian is what got Jeffrey Combs onto DS9, which redeems it karmically if not artistically.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I just recently rewatched the TNG pilot, and "Justice"...

Have you ever noticed that along with the terrible plots and scripts, season 1 has this weird Uncanny Valley thing going on with the acting. I dont know if its the actors' fault or the directing, but none of interactions feel genuinely human. The pacing of the lines is off and it feels more like the characters reciting monologues to the audience than having a conversation.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Meridian and Sub Rosa are two different kinds of bad. Sub Rosa you have to take breaks from during viewing because it's so stupid and embarrassing. Meridian you have to take breaks from during viewing because it's so loving boring your eyes just glaze over while you're trying to watch it.

IMDB user ratings for Sub Rosa:

They nailed the Beverly Crusher demo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK Admiral Locke, I'm with you for the most part, but what the hell is the point of a cloaking device that lets a ship pass through normal matter? What possible advantage could that give anyone?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

OK Admiral Locke, I'm with you for the most part, but what the hell is the point of a cloaking device that lets a ship pass through normal matter? What possible advantage could that give anyone?

You're not gonna find my cloaked fleet if it's inside your home world.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Also, okay you've found out where I am by using your deflector dish in creative ways, buy your photons still can't hurt me. Sucka.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fister Roboto posted:

:techno: "Captain, I'll need the prototype phase-cloaked shuttlepod for some... tests. I want to see how the... uh... inverse plasma matrix responds when it's recalibrated into the upper theta--"
:ughh: "Yes yes, Geordi, all yours."

* Geordi flies the shuttlepod right into the quarters of whoever he's creeping on that week and just watches *

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Makes me wonder what he was doing in The Next Phase when he just happened to stumble on Ro fighting that Romulan dude.

Also speaking of that scene, if you look carefully you can see the house plant being shaken when the actors fall near it. Are we to believe it was a phased plant??

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

:techno: "Captain, I'll need the prototype phase-cloaked shuttlepod for some... tests. I want to see how the... uh... inverse plasma matrix responds when it's recalibrated into the upper theta--"
:ughh: "Yes yes, Geordi, all yours."

* Geordi flies the shuttlepod right into the quarters of whoever he's creeping on that week and just watches *

But its too late, I've seen everything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tunicate posted:

But its too late, I've seen everything.

See, Picard is content to watch from a distance, Geordi has to get up close.

Jack the Enhanced Douche is basically every Alt-right internet shithead.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

TheBigAristotle posted:

They nailed the Beverly Crusher demo.

It helps that it was lifted whole-cloth from an Anne Rice novel. (Or so, uh... my mother says.)

Fister Roboto posted:

So you can run Space Blockades without having to use sci-fi :techno: bullshit like flying "above" or "below" the other ships. Keep up!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forget the Magnificent Feregni is so good. I like how at the end they can't turn off the remote control Vorta so he keeps walking into a wall like a glitchy game character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Spying.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

twistedmentat posted:

I forget the Magnificent Feregni is so good. I like how at the end they can't turn off the remote control Vorta so he keeps walking into a wall like a glitchy game character.

Bethesda must've based their NPC pathfinding for Skyrim on The Magnificent Ferengi's Weekend at Bernie's technology.

They just left him there, right? I wonder if like ten years later when the Cardassians finally get around to reclaiming the station if they'll find a skeletal Vorta still bumping up against that same wall.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

e.^^^^ I'm convinced the remote control Vorta is an homage to Spock's Brain.

twistedmentat posted:

Jack the Enhanced Douche is basically every Alt-right internet shithead.

Yeah, there's a weird moment in the mid-90s where Trek suddenly started using a bunch of characters and plots that would fit right into The X Files or a poorly mimeographed conspiracy newsletter. Dr Giger (the "soulless minions of orthodoxy" guy) is another example. Ron Moore and Brannon Braga (among others) both seemed to really like writing these twisty conspiracy/mindfuck episodes (Moore's were better, obviously). DS9 repeatedly showed the Federation (and all the other powers) as being infested with Maquis traitors, alien inflitrators, and high-level black ops conspiracies and it's amazing how often stuff like UFOs, alien abductions, ancient astronauts, brainwashing/mind control, and other fringe "science" comes up on Voyager.

It wasn't just Trek either, that poo poo was everywhere for a while and then sort of get replaced by post-9/11 rahrahism and generalized paranoia about terrorists and foreigners only to come roaring back in recent years. Maybe FEMA dumps different chemicals into the water supply when Democrats are in office.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 18, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Makes me wonder what he was doing in The Next Phase when he just happened to stumble on Ro fighting that Romulan dude.

Also speaking of that scene, if you look carefully you can see the house plant being shaken when the actors fall near it. Are we to believe it was a phased plant??

They install phased air, floors, and plants on every Star ship just in case.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've realised that DS9 is really good for the way the crew talk to eachother. They actually banter and joke like real people, and it's so much fun.

I'm watching the first episode of season 5, and they're all really enjoying themselves before they leave for Klingon space, even Dukat is in on it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Duckbag posted:

e.^^^^ I'm convinced the remote control Vorta is an homage to Spock's Brain.

Yeah, there's a weird moment in the mid-90s where Trek suddenly started using a bunch of characters and plots that would fit right into The X Files or a poorly mimeographed conspiracy newsletter. Dr Giger (the "soulless minions of orthodoxy" guy) is another example. Ron Moore and Brannon Braga (among others) both seemed to really like writing these twisty conspiracy/mindfuck episodes (Moore's were better, obviously). DS9 repeatedly showed the Federation (and all the other powers) as being infested with Maquis traitors, alien inflitrators, and high-level black ops conspiracies and it's amazing how often stuff like UFOs, alien abductions, ancient astronauts, brainwashing/mind control, and other fringe "science" comes up on Voyager.

It wasn't just Trek either, that poo poo was everywhere for a while and then sort of get replaced by post-9/11 rahrahism and generalized paranoia about terrorists and foreigners only to come roaring back in recent years. Maybe FEMA dumps different chemicals into the water supply when Democrats are in office.

I read something awhile back about how, with no real type of enemy to focus on, we culturally start looking for a bogeyman and conspiracies become more popular. The fall of the Soviet Union left us without a menace to be scared of, and the conspiracy theory era came to an end when we had terrorists to be scared of at last.

I think the recent resurgence of conspiracy theories has been due to people just not taking terrorism seriously anymore. The enemy has faded away and the night terrors have come again.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

I could see it as that wasn't a goal of the cloak, just a side effect of the kind of cloak used. Like rather than cloaking by bending light around the ship or whatever the Romulans do, just shift the whole ship a little into the next universe. Yeah it can pass through matter, but whatever, it's also blind to all sensors in the main universe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I read something awhile back about how, with no real type of enemy to focus on, we culturally start looking for a bogeyman and conspiracies become more popular. The fall of the Soviet Union left us without a menace to be scared of, and the conspiracy theory era came to an end when we had terrorists to be scared of at last.

I think the recent resurgence of conspiracy theories has been due to people just not taking terrorism seriously anymore. The enemy has faded away and the night terrors have come again.

Yea, I always believed that. The 90s felt very optimistic that we were on our way to solving most of the big problems, without any obvious enemies to worry about, people started jumping at shadows. The 9/11 happened, and everyone lost their poo poo, and saw scary brown people ready to blow up everything. Then that didn't happen, so people started looking at shadows. Plus people started to realize that their leaders were corrupt as gently caress, and only out for themselves, but rather than deal with the actual problems, they seemed to become accepting that no, it wasn't their leaders, but shadowy others that tend to have Jewish sounding names that were pulling the strings behind the scenes.

The_Doctor posted:

I've realised that DS9 is really good for the way the crew talk to eachother. They actually banter and joke like real people, and it's so much fun.

I'm watching the first episode of season 5, and they're all really enjoying themselves before they leave for Klingon space, even Dukat is in on it.

Yep, DS9 has characters that feel very human, the best example is the Bromance that develops between Bashir and O'Brien. They hate each other at the start, but as the series goes on they grow and begin to become friends, until they are bff.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/BrentSpiner/status/809981046754131970

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is he hoverhanding?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think it's more likely tied to the rise of right wing media like Fox News, Rush, and other even fringier outlets, pushing an explicitly anti-government message to try and cut the knees out from under the Clinton administration.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

*in an increasingly panicking Russian voice* Sub Rosa... Sub Rosa... Oh no! Captain, we have to get out of here!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What are a handful of solid non-arc episodes of DS9? I'm kinda bored and want to watch some of a series I generally haven't bothered with, but not bored enough for a grimdark war arc.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

What are a handful of solid non-arc episodes of DS9? I'm kinda bored and want to watch some of a series I generally haven't bothered with, but not bored enough for a grimdark war arc.

Duet (S1), The Visitor (S3), Second Skin (S3), Civil Defense (S3), Past Tense 1 & 2 (S3), Little Green Men (S4), Our Man Bashir (S4), Hard Time (S4), Trials and Tribble-ations (S5), Things Past (S5), Far Beyond the Stars (S6), Take Me Out to the Holosuite (S7).

The ones in the later seasons can have some things that relate to the Dominion war (for example, the reason behind Sisko's visions in Far Beyond the Stars) and may spoil earlier events if you ever want to watch the series from start to end but for the most part they are minor references only. I don't remember what exactly is talked about in those episodes but if you want to avoid any important spoilers, don't watch anything past season 5 as the final episode of season 5 and season 6 is when the war really gets going.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Season 2. Whispers, The Wire.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 18, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

It's 6am and after being introduced to this excellent music vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5TUw7sUBs

I just had to crank out some gifs

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Is he hoverhanding?

Would you touch a dirty Star Warser?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Kibayasu posted:

Duet (S1), The Visitor (S3), Second Skin (S3), Civil Defense (S3), Past Tense 1 & 2 (S3), Little Green Men (S4), Our Man Bashir (S4), Hard Time (S4), Trials and Tribble-ations (S5), Things Past (S5), Far Beyond the Stars (S6), Take Me Out to the Holosuite (S7).

The ones in the later seasons can have some things that relate to the Dominion war (for example, the reason behind Sisko's visions in Far Beyond the Stars) and may spoil earlier events if you ever want to watch the series from start to end but for the most part they are minor references only. I don't remember what exactly is talked about in those episodes but if you want to avoid any important spoilers, don't watch anything past season 5 as the final episode of season 5 and season 6 is when the war really gets going.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Season 2. Whispers, The Wire.

This is a goon who knows what's up. This is a really good list of stand-alone eps.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Without turning this into the Paranoid 90s Nostalgia Thread (or we can, if anyone wants to), another big influence was the acknowledgement of government wrongdoing throughout the Cold War. Iran-Contra was still fresh in the public consciousness, leading to the Intelligence Authorization Act (where the CIA would have to inform Congress of its activities) in 1991. FBI and CIA whistleblowers went public, often confirming stories that had been rumored for years.Clinton formed the Advisory Committee on Human Radiation Experiments in 1994 and apologized for Tuskeegee in 1997. If all this poo poo had been going on for decades, why should we expect it to go away overnight?

Then, of course, 9/11 happened and there was a total 180 by the time of the Patriot Act.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A lot of that is amazing to me in light of what the Church Committee exposed in the 70s. Sadly not enough changed following those revelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of DS9, and I guess I watched some clips at some point for Youtube to recommend these to me, but there's some crazy person currently uploading a whole bunch of 5-ish minute clips from DS9

So I guess if you ever need one of those good scenes to recommend DS9 to a friend, you have a resource now?

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 18, 2016