Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

Let's keep in mind that Liberty literally doesn't have the power to do this, FOM is not the FIA, they don't make the rules. No one at Liberty is going to hold the same level of influence as Bernie.

But yes, it is a bad idea that is impossible to police. How do you enforce a budget cap on Mercedes, for example, when they can (and do) consider some of their engine budget to be road car R&D?

Didn't the split turbo come from the truck division originally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya this has been brought up time and time again. Mercedes and Ferrari have roadcar divisions that they can pull resources from there to hide extra spending. Even Red Bull has that "technology" company or whatever.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A cap might actually work for the big bosses of rich teams though. Forces engineers to actually think rather than just throwing money at a problem until something sticks. Red bull already do something similar with Toro Rosso in that they give young engineers much less money than the main team and they are more than able to keep up with the midfield. Might actually encourage teams like Nissan, Toyota, Ford and so on who are using the tin top series for development back into a new less money sinking f1.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya this has been brought up time and time again. Mercedes and Ferrari have roadcar divisions that they can pull resources from there to hide extra spending. Even Red Bull has that "technology" company or whatever.

Same goes for Renault, both McLaren and Honda, even Haas. Gene Haas spent two years in prison for tax evasion, I don't think the dude is beyond shuffling some numbers.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
They should focus more on a fair distribution of prize money than anything else if they want to solve the issue of getting the rest of the field afloat.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

No one at Liberty is going to hold the same level of influence as Bernie.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Triple A posted:

They should focus more on a fair distribution of prize money than anything else if they want to solve the issue of getting the rest of the field afloat.

Yup. Ferrari spend $300m a year because they get $330 in prize money. If they only got $80m they'd only spend $80 mil

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Big teams like Mercedes and Red Bull are going to spend whatever they want no matter the prize money.

A cap wouldn't be enforceable because teams exist to cheat but if it was it'd help teams like Williams and Force India.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Big teams like Mercedes and Red Bull are going to spend whatever they want no matter the prize money.

Right, so why do they get more of the prize money? It should just be split evenly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just like everything else equal prize money wouldn't be a silver bullet but I do think you'd see Mercedes and Red Bull exercise some modicum of sanity and restraint if they only got an extra $10m for coming in 1st in the WCC instead of an extra $100m

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Didn't one of the big time F1 team leaders get really pissy when it was suggested that the lower teams got paid more?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Didn't one of the big time F1 team leaders get really pissy when it was suggested that the lower teams got paid more?

That doesn't sound like the F1 I know and love.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that well regarded teams like Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes would put political posturing for personal gain above the true spirit of competition that is F1. It just seems unfathomable.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

Right, so why do they get more of the prize money? It should just be split evenly.
Formula Bolshevism

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
You'd think that Force India would be at the top of the field given that Vijay Mallya doesn't pay anyone.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just lock the engineers and drivers in a warehouse for 3 months pre-season and BOOM whatever they come out with is what they race with all season.
Also all cars should have sprinklers on the back to incentivise overtaking.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Khablam posted:

Just lock the engineers and drivers in a warehouse for 3 months pre-season and BOOM whatever they come out with is what they race with all season.
Also all cars should have sprinklers on the back to incentivise overtaking.

Bernie account spotted

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Another thing that would be nice is a few extra trophies to recognize good rookies, gentlemanly drivers and support staff that has really done good work.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Aren't both those suggestions already in place and the first one is why Mercedes won everything the last 3 years and the second one is about the same as the current aero formula except it has the opposite effect?

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

POOIS SHAMILTON

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

keevo posted:

You'd think that Force India would be at the top of the field given that Vijay Mallya doesn't pay anyone.

Force Sweatshop

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Soon liberty will arrive at the correct conclusion, which is more spec parts on the cars and/or huge technical restrictions, like making aero dimensions so strict that there is essentially only one way to build a front wing or whatever. Aero r&d is such a waste of money anyway - does it actually trickle down to road cars at all?

Thats the way to bring down costs. When Merc realises that the extra 200million they are paying in R&D over the smaller teams is only giving them eight tenths a lap, instead of 2 and a half seconds, they will see its a poo poo return on investment.

The net result for F1 would be lowered costs, more parity, and a grid full of talented drivers, with therr being no need to sell seats for cash and sponsorship.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Soon liberty will arrive at the correct conclusion, which is more spec parts on the cars and/or huge technical restrictions, like making aero dimensions so strict that there is essentially only one way to build a front wing or whatever. Aero r&d is such a waste of money anyway - does it actually trickle down to road cars at all?

Thats the way to bring down costs. When Merc realises that the extra 200million they are paying in R&D over the smaller teams is only giving them eight tenths a lap, instead of 2 and a half seconds, they will see its a poo poo return on investment.

The net result for F1 would be lowered costs, more parity, and a grid full of talented drivers, with therr being no need to sell seats for cash and sponsorship.

Think about how good F1 has been as an engine-dependent formula.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AgentJotun posted:

This would suck rear end and be bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AgentJotun posted:

This is hilarious because when you make the cars more and more equal, minuscule performance improvements actually become even more important, and valuable

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

AgentJotun posted:

They'll see that 0.8s as an advantage they can have that the rest can't and therefore one that cannot be passed up, and it'll be even harder for the others to catch up.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Any team would spend $200m to gain 0.8s, if they had the money. Ask Ferrari or Red Bull or McLaren if they wouldn't.

If they were 0.8s faster Red Bull or Ferrari could've won the championships.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

This is hilarious because when you make the cars more and more equal, minuscule performance improvements actually become even more important, and valuable

Exhibit A: NASCAR

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Totally wrong professor. What becomes more important is a good driver pairing and good team operations - pitstops, strategies etc.

As for the 8 tenths I meant it more in terms of 8 tenths over some mythical baseline car. If Ferrari managed to get 6 tenths worth with their own development and RB 7 tenths.....now maybe its not worth Mercedes money.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Totally wrong professor. What becomes more important is a good driver pairing and good team operations - pitstops, strategies etc.

As for the 8 tenths I meant it more in terms of 8 tenths over some mythical baseline car. If Ferrari managed to get 6 tenths worth with their own development and RB 7 tenths.....now maybe its not worth Mercedes money.

The scenario you suggested actually exists in the real world and works out exactly like Mr. Post said.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I think he's trying to suggest that it would make the delta between cars smaller than that of driver skill/speed. But yeah, his idea won't achieve that goal.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I am trying to say that but i dont see why it wouldnt work. Or atleast largely contribute to the goal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tl;dr f1 is bad and boring we can't stop watching

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

iospace posted:

Tl;dr f1 is bad and boring we can't stop watching

There are entire seasons of F1 where I watch 3-4 GPs and just keep up by reading the results/watching highlights afterwards, there needs to be a good reason to get up at 5 am. MotoGP on the other hand, totally worth it. Especially this season.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

IanTheM posted:

There are entire seasons of F1 where I watch 3-4 GPs and just keep up by reading the results/watching highlights afterwards, there needs to be a good reason to get up at 5 am. MotoGP on the other hand, totally worth it. Especially this season.

I used to get up religiously for every qualifying and race from 2008 until 2011, I stopped after that and haven't looked back since

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm moving to a race-highlights-only viewing schedule next season

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hereby move to take watching races live behind the shed. All in favor?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Real F1 fans move to Europe and watch F1 over Sunday lunch.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
F1.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Khablam posted:

Also all cars should have sprinklers on the front to increase overtaking.
Fixed that for you.

• Locked thread