Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I liked the film. Some of the dialogue flew by me but some lines really struck me as interesting. Right now I want to rewatch it looking for more clues about nonviolence. I need to watch it again to really get to grips with it. From Chirrut's line about the Force flowing darkly around someone trying to kill (which is an interesting note for a series explicitly about violence), to Jyn herself. People have picked up on the idea that Jyn doesn't do anything (which I don't think is true). But how many people does Jyn kill? Am I correct in thinking she actually doesn't kill anybody? I wonder if there are any parallels to Luke's nonviolent end to Return of the Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Saw this last night and it was loving awesome. Was pretty high throughout the movie so I'm sure a straightedge reaction would be different, but goddamn! Jyn, Cassian, and everybody else on Rogue One were fleshed out just enough that I was really invested in them by the beginning of the 3rd Act.

Then, when they started dying, I was pretty genuinely sad and moved by their sacrifice. The Droid, the Pilot, the Mystic and the Gunner (can't remember the names) were used really well, and definitely provoked an emotional reaction in me.

From what I'm hearing from y'all the CGI was one of the most contentious aspects of the film. I did a double-take when they introduced Tarkin, but drat if they didn't do about the best job you could possibly do right now in executing it. All of the scenes with Tarkin were a little bit "off" because of that, but I also didn't care, the movie was such a fun ride.

Somebody like 15 pages ago complained about Darth Vader looking weird or off or not quite right in his scenes, and I echo that. The scene where he meets with the Imperial Governor guy was probably the most immersion-disrupting for me. Vader looked weird. I definitely agree that Vader's corridor fight-scene was awesome, though.

What I didn't expect was for the entire team to die. Looking back it seems obvious, it was totally a suicide mission, but it was also a Star Wars movie! Because I wasn't expecting it the slow realization and then confirmation that the team had both succeeded and yet was doomed really made an impact on me.

The movie just felt right. The Force Awakens was pretty good and entertaining, but it suffered from that echo-effect where it was so obviously aping the emotional and plot beats from A New Hope. Rogue One felt more raw and real, and it just kind of nailed the desperation and hardscrabble feeling of the Rebellion from other parts of A New Hope.

Excellent movie, def go see it. Better than The Force Awakens.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

J_RBG posted:

I liked the film. Some of the dialogue flew by me but some lines really struck me as interesting. Right now I want to rewatch it looking for more clues about nonviolence. I need to watch it again to really get to grips with it. From Chirrut's line about the Force flowing darkly around someone trying to kill (which is an interesting note for a series explicitly about violence), to Jyn herself. People have picked up on the idea that Jyn doesn't do anything (which I don't think is true). But how many people does Jyn kill? Am I correct in thinking she actually doesn't kill anybody? I wonder if there are any parallels to Luke's nonviolent end to Return of the Jedi.

Jyn kills a good number of stormtroopers

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Jyn kills a good number of stormtroopers

Doesn't surprise me I'm wrong, as i said I'll have to watch it again. That was the opinion of everyone I saw it with too. Not bad for a film where we knew what would happen in the end

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The repetition of elements across this series is one of the key parts of why I find it interesting. The rhyming nature is fascinating.

Also, it's funny people complain about 'repetition' while ponying up cash for the eight film in a franchise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

well why not posted:

The repetition of elements across this series is one of the key parts of why I find it interesting. The rhyming nature is fascinating.

Also, it's funny people complain about 'repetition' while ponying up cash for the eight film in a franchise.

To be fair eight films in almost half a century ain't bad. The MCU has managed 14 films in less than a decade so far.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder which will have the most films.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

I wonder which will have the most films.

Marvel, easily. They're cranking out stories for multiple storylines at a clip of 2-3 movies a year. Star Wars makes up a bit of ground by having Rebels running, but it won't last forever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The schedule is I think 1 main story line then a Star Wars Universe movie each year. So one a year basically. So 2018 will be Episode 8 then the Han Solo movie in 2019 and then episode 9 in 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steve2911 posted:

I've yet to see a 3D film that didn't look like a pop up book. Characters and objects are flat cardboard cutouts against a backdrop. It can be an impressive trick in some instances, but I've never, ever walked out of a screening thinking 'I'm glad I saw it in 3D'.

To this day the only good use of 3D I've seen is in Drive Angry 3D, where Nicolas Cage's character has a flashback and it's overlaid on top of the windshield as he's driving. Also a bit of a skull flies at you. :v:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Mad Max in 3D was pretty great IMO. I liked Prometheus, too, but my opinions are garbage.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you haven't, see Finding Nemo in 3D.

You might not have expect it to be a perfect movie for the effect but then you remember it's mostly animated fish floating in the center of the screen.

No idea if Finding Dory is as fun to watch in 3D but I have my suspicions.

Rogue One wasn't especially amazing in 3D but it's a loving Star Wars flick, you're goddamn right I'm wearing those dumb glasses.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Finally got the see Rogue One today. It started a little slow for me, but I was on board with everything happening in the back half. Also not on board with CG characters. They looked like Final Fantasy models. Read upthread a bit to see what other people thought of it, and count me in with the dude who thought they should have just recasted Tarkin with Charles Dance. Since they missed that opportunity, they should totally cast Dance in some other role though, I'd love to watch him chew some SW scenery. Also they should have just recasted Leia and only shown her from behind or like the nose down from under the hood, imo. That was a little unreal having just had Carrie Fischer all over the place from TFA.

Also did anybody else find Vader's voice off? I chalked it up to JEJ being 30 odd years older and them recording him using new equipment, but it just seemed off. The person I went with even thought it wasn't him, it was so different.

I really liked all the new characters, maybe Jyn the least. Chirrut, K-2S0 and Saw were cool and good. Also was surprisingly happy to see Jimmy Smitts show back up as Bail. Didn't know I liked him that much, I guess he's one of the few things I actually enjoyed about the prequels.

They're 2 for 2 on new SW movies, as far as I'm concerned. Stoked to rewatch this one a handful of times once the blu ray hits. Watched TFA a few nights ago and ANH just last night, was pleasantly surprised that R1 leads DIRECTLY into ANH. I followed basically none of this movie over the last couple years so I could go in as fresh as possible already knowing they'd succeed and assuming everyone would die, and I didn't know the pacing would lead directly into the start of ANH. I dug it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Saw Rogue One today. Honestly it felt like a good movie with a cast of characters so underdeveloped it hindered my enjoyment a lot. With a constant barrage of cynicism and tragedy I would've hoped I could root for the characters for some contrast but when everyone is constantly either angry or killing people it's hard to feel emotionally invested.

It did pick up going into the final act though and I liked the ending a lot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Steve2911 posted:

I've yet to see a 3D film that didn't look like a pop up book. Characters and objects are flat cardboard cutouts against a backdrop. It can be an impressive trick in some instances, but I've never, ever walked out of a screening thinking 'I'm glad I saw it in 3D'.

Hugo

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The third act is still sticking with me, even if most of the rest of the film isn't. Between this and TFA, I think the biggest thing separating the newer films from the OT is that the newer films have amazing parts and setpieces (the third act here, the Han/Kylo scene in TFA) that don't quite add up to the cohesive whole the OT had going for it.

E:

Is there a way to see Hugo in 3D nowadays? I really enjoyed it in 3D when watching it awhile back and wouldn't mind revisiting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Large parts of the OT are totally poo poo. It's amazing set pieces that tie it all together as memorable. Pretty much everything to do with the Ewoks is completely empty to me, except for the bit when the one little teddy bear dude pulls on his buddy. Now think of how much the Ewoks are in that movie. That's like half the climax of the film, teddy bear Vietnam, and it totally doesn't resonate with me. Even when I was a youngin' the fight between Vader and Obi Wan always seemed like some weak sister bullshit. Old men wave swords at each other, one old man lets himself die, and I'm supposed to think this has any gravitas? And Luke was a whiny rear end in a top hat. ESB is probably the best paced, and it's not like that's perfect.

OT nostalgia is cool and all, but those movies aren't exactly bulletproof.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was a little surprised at how much I liked Rogue One. Had pretty mixed feelings about TFA, aside from the character development being pretty lacking I thought R1 was a much more exhilarating watch and I liked it a lot more aesthetically for reasons I'm still trying to pinpoint. I thought it just felt more like a Star Wars film where TFA felt more calculated and it didn't know when to stop with the fan service.

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was some of the uncanny valley stuff with faces and Vader's voice sounded way off. But those are pretty minor gripes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

JEJ is 85 so I don't blame him for not sounding as good as he used too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7ufR7utEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LkdNls4bw

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Chieves posted:

The third act is still sticking with me, even if most of the rest of the film isn't. Between this and TFA, I think the biggest thing separating the newer films from the OT is that the newer films have amazing parts and setpieces (the third act here, the Han/Kylo scene in TFA) that don't quite add up to the cohesive whole the OT had going for it.

I'm completely the opposite. For me the first act was the strongest and after that everything started to fall apart. The third act in particular just dragged on for me. The poorly sketched characters failed to inspire much emotion in me, and to make matters worse none of the action interested me very much either.

Speaking specifically of the battle action sequences, they had the same problem a lot of movies do, where all the action shots are essentially the same concept being reiterated over and over again until they all just blur together. It was mostly just a bunch of Rebel ships flying around either shooting at TIEs or getting shot by TIEs in roughly the same manner. The best action sequences tend to have a variety of distinct "gimmicks" where different kinds of action concepts are explored in each shot in a deliberate, elaborative way. Watching it in the theater Rogue One's sequences mostly just seemed to be long stretches of boring generic space battling followed by some moderately interesting AT-AT action and then, finally, to be fair, the interesting Hammerhead corvette maneuver at the very end.

But all you have to do is watch A New Hope's Death Star attack to see the principles I've outlined above in action, resulting in a much more purpose-driven and visually stimulating sequence of action scenarios. There's no fat. There are virtually no conceptual repeats except for when doing so fulfills a clear storytelling purpose, like the two "TIE on your tail" scenes and two "Trench run" scenes, which both exist in order to establish a concept for a later, specific pay-off.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just came back from seeing Rogue One, really enjoyed it while I was kind of lukewarm on TFA after seeing that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I was a little surprised at how much I liked Rogue One. Had pretty mixed feelings about TFA, aside from the character development being pretty lacking I thought R1 was a much more exhilarating watch and I liked it a lot more aesthetically for reasons I'm still trying to pinpoint. I thought it just felt more like a Star Wars film where TFA felt more calculated and it didn't know when to stop with the fan service.

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was some of the uncanny valley stuff with faces and Vader's voice sounded way off. But those are pretty minor gripes.

I really genuinely don't know how anyone can say Rogue One's fan service was LESS calculated when it did things like "long lingering shot of blue milk" and "Hey, look, it's the cantina guys!" I don't think it goes more than five minutes without dropping some incredibly blunt reference or injoke from Keepers of the Whills to Darksaber.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would like to see battleships trading broadsides again

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ImpAtom posted:

I really genuinely don't know how anyone can say Rogue One's fan service was LESS calculated when it did things like "long lingering shot of blue milk" and "Hey, look, it's the cantina guys!" I don't think it goes more than five minutes without dropping some incredibly blunt reference or injoke from Keepers of the Whills to Darksaber.

The audience I was with was laughing and clapping every fifteen minutes at stuff like that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Also I'm sure this has been mentioned but the reveal that Jyn Erso's dad planted the weakness in the Death Star's reactor that caused it to chain react and explode was really, really dumb and unnecessary. That's not something that needed to be explained. It's a basic trope of the genre.

It doesn't even make any sense. Why did the second Death Star chain react in the exact same way? Are we supposed to assume there was some sympathetic chief engineer on that one too who sabotaged it in the exact same way without the Empire noticing?

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't mind those things. They're mostly harmless and they don't interfere with the story, so whatever. And I'd argue that some of them, like the references to kyber crystals and the Whills are actually cool.

But where was there a Darksaber reference?

edit: Nevermind, I just Googled it. I missed that bit.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not sure I really get the hatred for minor little bits and references so long as they don't hog the screentime; the cantina guys part was super blatant, but stuff like Darksaber being namedropped just got a "that's cute" smirk from me. Most people aren't even going to notice it unless they watch the clone wars cartoon, and it's not some reality-breaking bit.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not sure I really get the hatred for minor little bits and references so long as they don't hog the screentime; the cantina guys part was super blatant, but stuff like Darksaber being namedropped just got a "that's cute" smirk from me. Most people aren't even going to notice it unless they watch the clone wars cartoon, and it's not some reality-breaking bit.

Exactly. After catching up on the last 30-odd pages of this thread I have to smile and shake my head at some of the criticisms.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

They bother me because they fall into what amounts to the same trap as a lot of bad EU writing. Rather than creating a larger universe they just fall back into referencing the same few things over and over again. It's not the end of the world but like I said earlier Rogue One to me felt exactly like an EU novel, obsessed with injokes, references and explaining minutia and 'plot holes' that really don't need to be explained. I know some people are into that and that's fine but it is one of the things I found really crappy about the original Star Wars EU and I was genuinely hoping Rogue One would avoid it.

TFA fell into the trap of repeating things but it also felt to me like it was actually saying something about those things it repeated. (except maybe the Starkiller which was both a blunt reference and pretty uninteresting.) Whereas in Rogue One it felt like a nonstop parade of "Hey, hey, remember that thing? Hey, remember that thing? Hey?" And maybe it wouldn't bother someone who was less of a Star Wars nerd than I am or conversely someone who is a way bigger Star Wars nerd than I am and thrilled at seeing all these injokes targeting the deepest segments of the fandom. I guess I fall into a weird area where I like Star Wars but take absolutely nothing from "Oh man guys, check it out, it's the ship from Rebels!"

And I'd also probably be more favorable to them if it didn't feel like there was more effort put into making those references than there was in creating a strong cast.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I just got tired of hearing the guy behind me guffawing appreciatively at every tiny thing he recognized.

"I have a bad feeling-"
GUFFAW GUFFAW HEE HAW GUFFAW

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 19, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

It doesn't even make any sense. Why did the second Death Star chain react in the exact same way? Are we supposed to assume there was some sympathetic chief engineer on that one too who sabotaged it in the exact same way without the Empire noticing?

Lando flew in there and hosed the core all up with the Falcon, he didn't trench run and fire torpedoes at an exhaust port that then caused a chain reaction

That's a weird thing to spoiler in 2016, but in context :shrug:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The high watermark for Lucas property winking is in The Last Crusade when they come across a picture of the ark and it goes

"The ark of the covenant"
"Are you sure?"
"Pretty sure"

And they're like, moving through the catacomb and it doesn't linger too much

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't say there wasn't fan service. I'm fine with some. What you are referring to are little references that were peppered into the movie, whereas TFA was pretty much "let's hit every beat of what fans would want to see in a SW movie" and the backbone of The whole movie is basically just that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Did anyone else get the vibe that the two former monks were a couple

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Looper posted:

There was a moment in there that I thought SW was about to have its first gay characters but it can also just be read that they're BFFs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't say there wasn't fan service. I'm fine with some. What you are referring to are little references that were peppered into the movie, whereas TFA was pretty much "let's hit every beat of what fans would want to see in a SW movie" and the backbone of The whole movie is basically just that.

That doesn't make much sense to me, no. Rogue One is far more about giving Star Wars fans what they want than TFA is. Rogue One includes a basically shoehorned scene of Darth Vader being a slasher movie villain. TFA has Kylo Ren, a character who is intentionally sad and pathetic. Rogue One is like a laundry list of "hey, I bet Star Wars fans want to see this" stuff honestly.

Edit: hell, a whole bunch of comments here and elsewhere are "this is what I've wanted to see in a Star Wars films since I was a kid!!" and stuff.

Looper posted:

I think you can read it that way but it's also possible to read it as just close friendship. I think the couple makes more sense but they have like 8 lines combined in the entire film so it's sort of hard to say if that was intentional or not.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Looper posted:

Well the last words of one to the other were "The Force will lead you back to me" sooo yeah that is a strong possibility. That seems a bit above and beyond a "good bye bro" comment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Also I'm sure this has been mentioned but the reveal that Jyn Erso's dad planted the weakness in the Death Star's reactor that caused it to chain react and explode was really, really dumb and unnecessary. That's not something that needed to be explained. It's a basic trope of the genre.

The weakness in the first Death Star being there as a deliberate act of sabotage just slightly shifts the focus of Imperial hubris. Rather than - or, I should say, in addition to - arrogantly assuming that the machine they've built is all-powerful, they arrogantly assume that the person they compelled to design it did so in good faith. Their blind trust in a literal Imperial machine is reflected in blind trust in the mechanisms of the Empire's rule.

The second Death Star was incomplete, and was deliberately left vulnerable to be bait for the Emperor's trap. Instead of setting off a chain reaction with a small and highly localized explosion, they damaged the infrastructure and made the important-looking power core looking thing crash into itself.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Looper posted:

If one of them was a woman the answer would probably be an overwhelming "yes", but it's definitely possible, and I'd love if it were true.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I came out of Rogue One feeling like it was the movie people act like the prequels were. Bad CGI characters, pointless winky callbacks and cameos, extended battle scenes that don't really develop the plot or characters, political debates. I didn't like how K2 seemed to only exist to be Snark Chewbacca who makes sure the audience doesn't think the movie was too sincere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just saw this on a whim after the wife wrote down the wrong time for Fantastic Beasts, and enjoyed it. Definitely the most unique Star Wars film in terms of tone, and I was going to give it props for being the first one without a single lightsaber but I was happy to be wrong.

Also I totally didn't realize Mads Mikklesen was in this. Busy dude, that's two movies I've seen with him this month.

• Locked thread