Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SeanBeansShako posted:

They are just tools really

I dunno, if I had a wrench or screwdriver that I knew had been used to kill someone I'd feel a bit weird about it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Having a used captive bolt gun would creep me right the gently caress out. Would not put that one on my mantlepiece.

e: on the other hand I have pieces of dead animal in my house on the reg so maybe I'm just an idiot.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Koramei posted:

I dunno, if I had a wrench or screwdriver that I knew had been used to kill someone I'd feel a bit weird about it too.

Yeah but you don't really use those kind of tools for killing. I mean you COULD use a gun or sword hilt to hammer something in....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

What is that supposed to mean?

You are trying really hard to create a moral quandary that does not exist. If your concern is really that a particular item might have contributed to someone's death or suffering then you should throw a good chunk of your possessions in the trash, stop traveling, stop eating most things, etc, etc. If your concern is specifically that guns are weapons and are ultimately intended to kill or wound people, then you should not own or use guns. What you're talking about here is owning a piece of history, which is also a completely amoral thing unless your reason for owning the thing is to celebrate the destructive ideologies that led to the conflict.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

You are trying really hard to create a moral quandary that does not exist. If your concern is really that a particular item might have contributed to someone's death or suffering then you should throw a good chunk of your possessions in the trash, stop traveling, stop eating most things, etc, etc. If your concern is specifically that guns are weapons and are ultimately intended to kill or wound people, then you should not own or use guns. What you're talking about here is owning a piece of history, which is also a completely amoral thing unless your reason for owning the thing is to celebrate the destructive ideologies that led to the conflict.

There's a difference between "a 14 year old was paid a nickel to make my shoes along with a thousand others on the same day" and "this gun was used to kill someone." Like, contributing versus directly causing is a distinction with a difference that can be made.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean strictly unless you buy it directly from the manufacturer then it doesn't really matter how many people your gun was used to kill, owning it still isn't really a moral issue, you aren't supporting those actions by doing so.

That you may have bought it from an arms supplier is the most objectionable part of it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FAUXTON posted:

There's a difference between "a 14 year old was paid a nickel to make my shoes along with a thousand others on the same day" and "this gun was used to kill someone." Like, contributing versus directly causing is a distinction with a difference that can be made.

The shoes were made on behalf of the eventual customer, you. The gun happened for its own reasons, and you're irrelevant to its prior story.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah but you don't really use those kind of tools for killing.

Needs must, when the Devil drives :shrug:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

I do not see the difference excepting that you were a specific contributor to the environment that created the shoes but you were not for the gun.

efb but still

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I was the owner of one of these old noodle sieves that they made of Stahlhelme. There's a video of the stamping process somewhere.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

I was the owner of one of these old noodle sieves that they made of Stahlhelme. There's a video of the stamping process somewhere.

There's an Afrika Korps and Italian army joke in here somewhere.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If you think about it, any helmet with bullet entry and exit holes through it is a noodle sieve.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Come to think of it, do any of the modern armies have like military designation names for kitchen equipment like pots or are they finally able to control themselves in that regard?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Come to think of it, do any of the modern armies have like military designation names for kitchen equipment like pots or are they finally able to control themselves in that regard?

What does your heart tell you?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If you go through a trashy antiquity shop you can find an absolutely staggering number of things made from shell casings. Those things are fuckin yuuuge.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nenonen posted:

If you think about it, any helmet with bullet entry and exit holes through it is a noodle sieve.

And a a helmet of the same era can be a great mess tin in a pinch.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Flasks are for suckers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Polyakov posted:

What does your heart tell you?

All mess hall functions contracted out?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

If you go through a trashy antiquity shop you can find an absolutely staggering number of things made from shell casings. Those things are fuckin yuuuge.

I would be extremely bothered to own one because of the possibility that shell casing was used to kill dozens of men!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Flasks are for suckers.

You're supposed to drink the blood of your enemies from their skulls

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
E: nm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plan Z posted:

BV.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Plan Z posted:

shack, jacking, for the purpose of

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Light Tank M2

Queue: Combat Car T4, Char B, TK-3, Medium Tank Mk.II, Medium Tank Mk.III, KH-50 et al, PzIV, PzIII Ausf. A, PzIII Ausf. B through D

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car M1

:britain:
A1E1 Independent
Infantry Tank Mk.I

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
Char B1 bis

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C NEW
Pak 97/38
Pz.Sfl.IVb

:eurovision:
LT vz 35 NEW

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

You're supposed to drink the blood of your enemies from their skulls

Maybe if you're an uncultured barbarian, but a cultured barbarian drinks wine from the skulls of his enemies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

sullat posted:

Maybe if you're an uncultured barbarian, but a cultured barbarian drinks wine from the skulls of his enemies.

Is that a cultured barbarian, or just an uncultured barbarian who doesn't have a steady flow of enemy blood?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

sullat posted:

And really cultured barbarians realize that blood is just a protein emulsion and can substitute in for eggs in a surprising number of applications :chef:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

sullat posted:

Ah the Scythian 5000 A.D. vintage on a Persian vintage skull. 4 out of 5.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sullat posted:

A cultured barbarian is just a barbarian that recently sacked somewhere cultured and took their wine.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
all non-greeks are barbarians :agesilaus:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Thanks for light tank m2, EE

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hogge Wild posted:

all non-greeks are barbarians :agesilaus:

I thought it was all non-Athenians

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

A cultured barbarian is just a barbarian that recently sacked somewhere cultured and took their wine.

That describes Krum in a nutshell, I think. Nothing but the best skulls for him, of course, he drank from the skull of a Roman emperor.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HookedOnChthonics posted:

And really cultured barbarians realize that blood is just a protein emulsion and can substitute in for eggs in a surprising number of applications :chef:

I miss my usual grad student breakfast of cheese on toast and black pudding.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At what point do you cross the line from a simple act of civil disobedience to actively organizing tactics to thwart the police and fight back? I know those tactics are what can make the action more effective, but how do you reconcile things with more moderate people who only signed up to do a sit-in and maybe wave some signs when other members are talking about using bike chains to disable lights? Seems like that'd scare people off.

And how do you make "leaderless committees" work without devolving into a mess of people talking against eachother?

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

I caught up on the last few pages and would really like to see a picture of the bag in question.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A book I'm reading made a very offhand comment about leftover torpedoes being responsible for sinking at least one merchant vessel in the wake of WWII. As in, the torpedo was just floating around weeks or months after it was fired, and some poor ship bumped into it and detonated it. Book has no citation for this though, does anyone know of any such incident?

Rogue mines I could see, but my totally uninformed instinct tells me a torpedo would probably sink once it exhausted its propulsion system.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

SlothfulCobra posted:

At what point do you cross the line from a simple act of civil disobedience to actively organizing tactics to thwart the police and fight back? I know those tactics are what can make the action more effective, but how do you reconcile things with more moderate people who only signed up to do a sit-in and maybe wave some signs when other members are talking about using bike chains to disable lights? Seems like that'd scare people off.

And how do you make "leaderless committees" work without devolving into a mess of people talking against eachother?

That line usually gets crossed when the police start hurting people.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Leaderless committees work when you're committed to an end goal and/violence.

Otherwise, Occupy Wallstreet happens.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nenonen posted:

Shouldn't you tell him about the episode you had after purchasing that bag when you started singing nothing more than REMOVE KABOB until an exorcist paid a visit

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SlothfulCobra posted:

At what point do you cross the line from a simple act of civil disobedience to actively organizing tactics to thwart the police and fight back?

The moment it becomes clear the politicians don't care about you. As I have mentioned in the post, I had participated in six years of peaceful happenings, negotiations and cooperation in good faith, protests and son on, and then they sell the house off to a cuckoo sect( we're talking WBC-level deranged here) and denounce us as antidemocratic rabble - and we had the legal right to the building! A lot who participated may already have hated the politicians, but I didn't, at least not before then.

Regarding the police, we never really not considered them adversaries. When I was at one of my first protests, I saw six cops beat up a 14 year old girl with maglites in the back of their wagon for talking back to them. Denmark allegedly has one of the most moral police forces in the world, and that may well be true, but they're exceedingly violent towards anyone who looks at them wrong, and they cover up lying for each other so their actions cannot be prosecuted. Better yet, their appeal institution is made up of ex-cops and chummy lawyers, so less than 2% of charged officers see even a slap on the wrist.

Splode posted:

That line usually gets crossed when the police start hurting people.

This. If we weren't opposed, we would complete our march, but of course at this point we were also daring them to do something, by squatting buildings or blocking traffic. It was a show of force, something the police had struck us with often enough for us to realize it could be turned back on them.. Although they had actually hurt a lot of people before activists started arming themselves, protestors picked fights only when they had to, to make a statement.

The police did as instructed by the politicians, so we had to twart them, that's more or less it. Even so, we did not attempt to hurt them as much as drive them off, activists mostly stuck to throwing firebombs, chassé stones and fireworks. Their violence helped our cause, in turn. Undercover cops would do a lot of dumb poo poo like press guns in the face of kids, abduct protestors and beat the poo poo out of them, and so on. Combined with the fact that even the nice areas of Copenhagen stayed flooded in tear gas, a lot of inhabitants were more fed up with the cops than us.

quote:

I know those tactics are what can make the action more effective, but how do you reconcile things with more moderate people who only signed up to do a sit-in and maybe wave some signs when other members are talking about using bike chains to disable lights? Seems like that'd scare people off.

We largely let people pick their own depth. The protest that would turn into riots were actually signalled as such way in advance( the 16th of December was plastered all over town with the words "Final Battle. Come prepared."), and the movement has long had a policy of not overtly criticizing allies for their method of protest. That's playing into the politicians game, you see, because they were always looking for a "good" group to negotiate with, so they could deploy excessive force against everyone else.

The chains were thrown after the city had devolved into massive street fights, so it's probably better to talk about the run-up. Think of it like an army, you need people to do every thing. The media said there was a 'hard core' of evil, balaclava-clad activists waiting in a secret room with tire irons to come out and fight when there was trouble brewing, and then cute little girls and boys who made soup kitchens in the house for the poor, but the fact of the matter is, it was often the same people doing both. I never had the stomach for fighting cops, so I made sure people living in the area stayed fed instead.

Of course, many people despised the violence, and some left the movement because of it, but even they had seen how peaceful protests were being supressed at that point.

quote:

Good question, and one I'm still trying to solve, as the level of anticapitalist organization in Denmark is poor as hell. At the time, the basic organizational unit in the movement was the affinity group, a closed milieu of 2-50 friends who had made activism together before, and were united by personal relation and political goals. Many were freshly formed by people who knew one another and wanted to do some, but others, particularly those who joined us from the south, were extremely well-trained, close knit and resembled a RAF cell or something!

For a leaderless milieu, of course we had a lot of informal hierarchies, and these probably saved the day. First off, the battle was for the House, so the people who were already daily activists had the authority to decide how the struggle should be fought. This included me, but I hated the atmosphere in the movement during that dark time in the end of 2006 and let others do the planning. Second, people with experience in the social movements, particularly with negotiation, logistics and fighting cops, were listened to, because we didn't really have other experience to draw on.

Still, it was probably a real clusterfuck at times. The affinity groups could decide at any time that they didn't want to do something, and then they didn't - but they would often do something else, thus tying down police resources in another place. As I said, there was real commitment, from thousands and thousands of people, people felt it was better to do something, even if it meant going along with someone you didn't agree fully with, and so the horrible death by consensus democracy that usually stifles the movement was lessened.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 19, 2016