Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Freedom Planet has possibly the worst story, voice acting and character design I've ever seen in a critically acclaimed game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

d0s posted:

those people are insane

snes sparkster is absolutely better than genesis sparkster. like sure it's boring but at least it's not dogshit like genesis version.

rocket knight adventures is still so much better than both that it doesn't matter anyway

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Freedom Planet is good enough that I, one day, want to make a tabletop cabinet with custom graphics etc that is dedicated to it.

The story is bad enough that I want to lock out that option in the title screen.

Maybe I'd also put some Sanic games on there, too.

Hack all Sonic games to run at the same width as Darius.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
SNES Sparkster strikes a better balance between standard levels and setpieces but sometimes you just want setpieces and Rocket Knight has a shitload of 'em.

Those games were never really "go-fast" games in the same way that Sonic is and when you try to reign in the rocket boost for the sake of fitting the boring coda of Good Game Design you get Rocket Knight 2010.

al-azad posted:

It's a helluva lot better than SNES Sparkster's mech fight, let me tell you.

That fight is fun even though I think it's literally impossible to beat without dying.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There was a guy who hacked up some emulators to display NES and Genesis games running with a full 1920x1080 sized window over the existing level graphics, without any sort of scaling. It looked really neat, though it couldn't really handle drawing other active things in the level outside the normal viewport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4NnQEkAH8

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

There was a guy who hacked up some emulators to display NES and Genesis games running with a full 1920x1080 sized window over the existing level graphics, without any sort of scaling. It looked really neat, though it couldn't really handle drawing other active things in the level outside the normal viewport:

That's because it's not a hacked emulator, it's literally an emulator recorded at the regular resolution overlaid on an "atlas" pic of the level in Adobe Premiere. It's still nifty, but it's not really in the right direction.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

fishmech posted:

That's not really emulator hacking, the guy who does that is basically superimposing recorded gameplay footage over a constructed map of the level he's playing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's because it's not a hacked emulator, it's literally an emulator recorded at the regular resolution overlaid on an "atlas" pic of the level in Adobe Premiere. It's still nifty, but it's not really in the right direction.

It's After Effects, actually. He even has videos showing how he makes them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QTUO-TXKN0

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

absolutely anything posted:

snes sparkster is absolutely better than genesis sparkster. like sure it's boring but at least it's not dogshit like genesis version.

rocket knight adventures is still so much better than both that it doesn't matter anyway

Eh, it's no Awesome Possum.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Today has been a really good day for old video games, as much as I hate to condone Gamestop. But getting this is good as I need a nice palate cleanser after subjecting myself to Dream Chronicles on the DS for some reason. How did most adventure games turn into the much lamer hidden object game?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I actually had completely forgotten that genesis sparkster existed and thought he was talking about sparkster vs RKA

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nope! Genesis Sparkster is an actual platformer with smart enemy placement and well designed boss fights. SNES Sparkster is just a series of set pieces except they all kill you and you can't see what's coming. It's like every level is a leap of faith and you have a little mid-air spin dash as a conceit to maybe get out of the way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
All three are better than the 2010 one that Climax made.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

DoctorWhat posted:

All speed-based 2D platformers from that era suffer the same problem: the camera sucks because they can't give you a decent worldview at the resolutions of the day.

2D speedrun platforming requires a dynamic, or at least very SPACIOUS, camera to provide the player with sufficient information to make the gameplay fair.

Games like N(+(+)) and Dustforce and Sonic Generations do this right. All the classic Sonics, the Sparksters, and Freedom Planet fail miserably.

I know a lot of speedrunners who would consider these fightin' words. Since when is speedrunning about being fair? :sax:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah I mean I'm not a speedrunner but isn't the whole point to learn with trial and error so that when you have it down it looks like you're a psychic video game god and not just playing a game quickly

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
The camera isn't one of Freedom Planet's speedrunning problems. Dropped frames during enemy parries and input bugs are.

https://youtu.be/ZdZmnlYOQrA

https://youtu.be/-8L9KX8ahdY

https://youtu.be/iaahc0eGqBE

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sell your framemeister now on eBay and just preorder a new one on solarisjapan if you like money. I have no idea why but I'm $700 richer so I can't complain

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Who likes nightmarishly bad games? I mean the kind of games that make you hate life? Then boy do I have a game for you. Have you heard of Virtuoso?

The answer to that is almost definitely no. Virtuoso is a PC shooter that was released shortly after Doom and it was heavily advertised in the magazines at the time. It got a 3do port a year later. Both of these as far as I can tell, are effectively buried like a turd in a litterbox. The few screenshots I can find online are all of the first two levels and none of are the latter two episodes (which are amazingly even worse that the first one). This is a game that people look at and go, "God no, I'm not playing that!" and wisely run away.

The plot is given by the back of the box. Not an opening cut scene, not the manual, the back of the box. Allow me to quote this magnum opus:

Virtuoso's box posted:

In the year 2055, life is just another word for chaos. Sure, your music has given you some moments of escape, but your rock superstar status has also given you too many nights locked away in hotel rooms, away from the din of crazed fans. Virtual Reality is the only reality that means anything anymore.

So you're playing a rock star playing video games. And you have three to choose from: Mars, Haunted House, and Underwater. And you go through about ten levels in each of them (the manual says it's eight and it's a dirty liar) What does this guy look like?

While the game plays like a first person shooter, you are usually looking at the main character's back. This is a problem since he obscures a lot the enemies who tend to be smaller and spawn right in front of you.

And that's a good place to start with how wrong things are with playing Virtuoso. There aren't any monster closets in the game, instead they just drop monsters around you when you cross certain points and they tend to move straight at you. The game loves to have fast moving creatures appear directly in front and behind you at the same time. The worst monsters are ones that you can't even hit; they just randomly appear and disappear. Touching a monster is the way that you'll usually take damage and even on the easiest difficulty they can cause a ton of it.

The controls are nightmarishly terrible. You can in theory use the keyboard or a joystick, but the joystick requires that you use the keyboard for things like strafing so that's out. So instead you have to use the non-configurable keyboard set up. Then things get worse as you plod around slowly, taking several seconds to turn around. You maneuver like 1970's Oldsmobile. And then there's the problem where you stick to walls so you can press up against them. Oh, and you can't move and shoot at the same time, so that makes dodging enemies even more fun.

There's only a few weapons in the game and you can only carry one at a time. Two of the weapons are functionally identical as well making them pointless. There's no ammo to collect at least.

One of the fun things in Virtuoso is that the game is incredibly inconsistent. You can't operate doors, except on the two stages where you can. You have to find a key on each level and take it to the exit, except on the one level where you don't. There aren't any other keys other than the exit key, except on the one level where there is. You can shoot all the monsters to kill them, except on the two levels where you can't. But on one of the levels where you can't shoot one of the monster types, you can shoot the other monster type which you bullets pass through on the other level.

I haven't even covered the problems with the traps in stages, the weird structure to the levels, the way that they make identical looking maze passages, and so on. Virtuoso is exceptionally awful.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Sell your framemeister now on eBay and just preorder a new one on solarisjapan if you like money. I have no idea why but I'm $700 richer so I can't complain

Holy poo poo, what makes a framemesiter so special?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Holy poo poo, what makes a framemesiter so special?

they're stopping production on them and they're like the only way to play old systems properly on a HDTV. personally I don't think that ability is worth the $400whatever it normally goes for let alone $700 but people like it

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Let's see if the SNES RGB Cables I got (Which landed in Sydney according to my tracking info) and the Famicom Mini (EMS 3-5 Days shipping) Arrive before Christmas!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, it's not the only upscaler for SD content but it is a very popular one. The OSSC and just general older upscalers still exist and are considerably under the inflated price.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So I've been thinking about Japanese PC's (MSX and the X68k mostly) and I recall the MiST FPGA being a thing. Have there been any similar FPGA projects for them? I believe there's already an MSX core for the MiST but not 100% sure on the X68k.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

Monitor Burn posted:

So Aliexpress is selling replacement GBA-SP backlit screens now, for anyone who wanted to install one in an original GBA (or just fix their old AGS-101): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-GBA-SP-Screen-LCD-OEM-Backlit-Brighter-Highlight/32622199888.html

Anyone know if these are just new old stock that someone found in a warehouse, or if they are newly manufactured screens?

I'm almost 100% sure these are newly manufactured. I installed one of these from Alibaba in a GBA and I see ghosting which is a deal-breaker for me. Images persist from screen to screen and it's pretty annoying. I'll try uploading a video of this in the next day or two so you can see what I'm talking about. This may be an issue where I need to install it in a GBA with a different pin count and see if it's just a screen compatibility problem. I'm not sure if I installed it in a 32 or a 40 pin. I'll report back after a quick dig through my bin of GBAs in the morning.

I've been making backlit/biverted Game Boys for friends and family for the holidays, so the GBAs have been put on the back-burner.

Green by request, though I usually just do white (blue pixels) or washed yellow (less harsh/bright than the white).

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So I've been thinking about Japanese PC's (MSX and the X68k mostly) and I recall the MiST FPGA being a thing. Have there been any similar FPGA projects for them? I believe there's already an MSX core for the MiST but not 100% sure on the X68k.

I don't think the MiST has an X68k core, but a few Japanese projects were working with different FPGA hardware ~a year ago. IIIRC one dude had the floppy drive system and emulation working pretty well.

MiST does have an MSX core though I don't know how it performs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Grrr.... gently caress playing for stars in Game and Watch Gallery 4! It takes twenty minutes for the games to speed up to be challenging but at that point you're only one fifth of the way to the required points! I'll get get an Action Replay or Game Shark so I can unlock everything...

":eek: When did cheat devices for the GBA become absurdly expensive?!"

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

d0s posted:

they're stopping production on them and they're like the only way to play old systems properly on a HDTV. personally I don't think that ability is worth the $400whatever it normally goes for let alone $700 but people like it

For some people who already have a solid crt it's not worth the investment. But I have a small apartment and I'll be damned if I have anything other than my 60 inch TV so it's nice having the framemeister as it's a good future proofing. We'll have TV sets up to 4k and hdmi for a good long time. 1080p scales up to 4k beautifully.

Very low input lag compared to most scalers too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Quick question before I hit submit on a Framemeister order.

Solaris Japan bundles the Framemeister with a Euro Scart adapter. This is the one that I want for comparability with my modded US consoles, correct?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

"Grrr.... gently caress playing for stars in Game and Watch Gallery 4! It takes twenty minutes for the games to speed up to be challenging but at that point you're only one fifth of the way to the required points! I'll get get an Action Replay or Game Shark so I can unlock everything...

I've played that game on and off since it came out, and by last year had like 80% of the stars in that game and was starting to unlock more and more secret games, primed for 100%. Then my save got corrupted and I now have no will to touch it any longer.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Quick question before I hit submit on a Framemeister order.

Solaris Japan bundles the Framemeister with a Euro Scart adapter. This is the one that I want for comparability with my modded US consoles, correct?

By and large all cables you're likely to run into output in Euro SCART format because it's far more prevalent than JP21 cables and equipment. The main console you have to be aware of is the SNES because wiring can be different at both ends because PAL SNES systems have the RGB-important pins setup differently on the console side; most "custom" cable makers actually offer four different options based on your particular needs. That said, if you ever got really stuck and could only get a JP21 cable for a particular system, JP21-to-Euro SCART converters are easy to get.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

TheMadMilkman posted:

This is the one that I want for comparability with my modded US consoles, correct?
Depends on your mods and which pinout they use - JP-21 pin or EuroSCART. You can get a converts if you need them - the pins just do different things.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Don't know if anyone else's Krikzz orders are on the same boat as mine, but my Black Friday order finally arrived in the states and is moving though the post system again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spoderman posted:

I've played that game on and off since it came out, and by last year had like 80% of the stars in that game and was starting to unlock more and more secret games, primed for 100%. Then my save got corrupted and I now have no will to touch it any longer.

I genuinely like the G&W Gallery packages in terms of giving you a nice stack of light games that can be fun for a ten or fifteen minute burst. And G&WG4 has twenty games in it so there's a lot available. The problem is that getting 1000 points in a G&W title takes forever since you're typically earning a point about every five to ten seconds and you have to earn that kind of score in multiple titles to unlock things.

So if I want to play G&W Zelda (which is what I've been trying to unlock) I need 160 stars. You get one star per 200 points. So doing it perfectly requires 32000 points to be earned and that's around twenty-five to thirty hours of playing. And that's to do it perfectly and with games that are intended to be played in short bursts..

I think this is actually a worse unlock system than the Capcom Classic Collection slot machine...

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

Ineffiable posted:

For some people who already have a solid crt it's not worth the investment. But I have a small apartment and I'll be damned if I have anything other than my 60 inch TV so it's nice having the framemeister as it's a good future proofing. We'll have TV sets up to 4k and hdmi for a good long time. 1080p scales up to 4k beautifully.

Very low input lag compared to most scalers too.

Be careful what 4k TV you invest in, because mine HATES my Framemeister at both 720 and 1080 and rounds off all the pixels. It also does this with the NES Classic Edition. It's a 65" LG OLED. Here's what you don't want:

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

If you have a DS flash cart, there are homebrew programs you can use to dump saves off GBA carts and write them back again (and then you do your cheating in an emulator).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

Don't know if anyone else's Krikzz orders are on the same boat as mine, but my Black Friday order finally arrived in the states and is moving though the post system again.

Do you have to log into your account to get the tracking number? I haven't heard anything since the initial shipping confirmation.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Do you have to log into your account to get the tracking number? I haven't heard anything since the initial shipping confirmation.

You have to login, yeah. Mine starts with an RA.

But you can use the tracking number on both the Ukraine tracking website and USPS.com

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

Last I checked, the late stage GBA cheat devices that also had a DS slot on them (which could only be used for editing saves or something?) were cheaper than the GBA only cheat devices. They're also a bit less reliable though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Phantasium posted:

You have to login, yeah. Mine starts with an RA.

But you can use the tracking number on both the Ukraine tracking website and USPS.com

Alright. Looks like mine has passed customs but is still in Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

plasticbugs posted:

Be careful what 4k TV you invest in, because mine HATES my Framemeister at both 720 and 1080 and rounds off all the pixels. It also does this with the NES Classic Edition. It's a 65" LG OLED. Here's what you don't want:

That seems really weird. It should just take that 1080p content and multiply it by four pixels. You've tried different picture modes even?

• Locked thread