Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tracula posted:

LOOK gently caress YOU ALL SEE THIS poo poo

i WAS THE FIRST SO SUCK IT.

(Also Hbomb. I love and hate you. Keep it up)

After Contrapoints' video this was kind of a disappointment. Though I doubt anything could live up to The Golden Twink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I Before E posted:

After Contrapoints' video this was kind of a disappointment. Though I doubt anything could live up to The Golden Twink.

The what now?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The what now?

You're in for a treat.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Great video.

Also, I might be gay now.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Great video.

Also, I might be gay now.

That's basically half the comments section on any given Contrapoints video

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

Golden One is pretty clearly a teeny tiny guy who got huge, probably via roiding.

It was weirdly fascinating to see that picture of him and David Duke side by side. Both him and Duke have the same kind of beard, the kind that looks like it's not actually made of real human hair, but some kind of bristly, obvious facsimile of hair fastened to their lower face via stipple glue. Like when you watch the behind the scenes footage of movies with big battle scenes and you see that some of the extras are actually women with fake beards glued to their faces because they didn't have enough male stunt performers to fill out their numbers.

What is it about fascists and fake looking flaxen hair, anyway?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 18, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So now we have people legitimately engaging and responding to hbomb of all people. God but do I miss the glory days of early 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Todd reviews a song I haven't heard once and after the video hope I never hear again

https://youtu.be/Xva6KUM2aWo

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Mokinokaro posted:

Todd reviews a song I haven't heard once and after the video hope I never hear again

https://youtu.be/Xva6KUM2aWo

I've heard this song in the wild exactly once and that was during the video game awards. I had no idea this was apparently a #1 hit. :psyduck:. Kudos to the artists for managing that beside getting zero play outside of meme videos, I guess.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I Before E posted:

That's a fantastic video and I regret watching it halfway through editing mine, because now I'm worried I stole things.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

nine-gear crow posted:

It was weirdly fascinating to see that picture of him and David Duke side by side. Both him and Duke have the same kind of beard, the kind that looks like it's not actually made of real human hair, but some kind of bristly, obvious facsimile of hair fastened to their lower face via stipple glue. Like when you watch the behind the scenes footage of movies with big battle scenes and you see that some of the extras are actually women with fake beards glued to their faces because they didn't have enough male stunt performers to fill out their numbers.

What is it about fascists and fake looking flaxen hair, anyway?

They think it's just what manly alpha men do, but they lack the follicles to grow a decent one

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So now we have people legitimately engaging and responding to hbomb of all people. God but do I miss the glory days of early 2015

Yeah, video making is a much better shitposting outlet than actual shitposting. Much more productive.

Also video making means it's considerably easier to control the tone of a conversation, and picking on alt-right idiots is also something almost nobody can argue against because they're idiots and it's fun.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, there's something about Golden One that makes me feel sad for the guy almost more than anything. For a part it's what hbomb already said of 'He's pretty much just a dope that wants his fantasy books/games to be real' but there's something about him that reads like he's a big stooge, it makes me wonder if he came to be like this on his own or if he's just another guy that was easily pulled into the gang of alt-right shitheads, when they essentially told him that his fantasy world used to be the real world. By no means am I trying to excuse him for the gross and stupid poo poo he says, I just kind of wonder if he's one of the people that'll ever come onto the fact that he's being duped.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He kind of looks like my Swedish cousin, but my cousin is just a blue collar metalhead (and not a roided up weirdo) who I've seen save a person from mortal danger.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Its never a good idea to play armchair psychiatry with someone you've never met. Well not in a serious `I'm diagnosing you` sort of way. But in a purely speculative way based solely on clips from Hbomb's videos andmy run ins with local ex and current fash, the guy seems to have incredible self esteem and issues. He bulked up, has copied a stereotypical Scandinavian Viking warrior facial hair look, and roleplays dominating his enemies in video games and is obsessed with assuring everyone that he's an alpha male and anyone not agreeing with him is some how inherently inferior.

I've noticed this a lot in explicitly hardline nationalist circles but Golden One (hell even his nickname is about superior he is) is the most blatant case I've ever seen. Granted that's because he's putting so much of his life online for public viewing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think ContraPoints pretty much nailed it with 'Alpha seems to be a way for guys with not a lot going for them to inflate and protect their own wounded masculinity' and talking about how actual dudes who could be called 'alpha' tend to not call themselves that.

Also I agree that Golden One is probably the only one of that cluster of idiots I kinda feel bad for because he seems to just be kinda a dumb guy who mainly just wants to play Skyrim and LARP and make stupid jokes while showing his bod off, but for some reason he decided to add 'as a nazi' to it and gently caress it up. All the other guys like him seem like just miserable fucks but at least he tries to fold in his actual non-minority hating hobbies and jokes and all with his videos. Everyone else on that pile can suck a dick forever but I hope he gets some moment of 'wait a second, think I may be the bad guy here', I'd probably subscribe to just 'I'm a buff Swedish dude who likes fantasy poo poo also check out my pecs'.

e: speaking of ContraPoints and Bomber, are there any other good youtubers like them? I need more people laughing at nazis on my subscriptions these days.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 18, 2016

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Really the wolf thing about Alpha and Beta explains a lot. Considering how much fascism runs with the whole eternal war against an all powerful enemy that somehow dominates every aspect of their lifes (feminism, the 'regressive left', illuminati, jews etc) it makes sense that they'd really identify with the behaviour of a caged animal. I mean when you reject rationalism that's the only response you're left with.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I Before E posted:

Golden One looks like if Chris Jericho was a Nazi.

I had a miserable awful day and this gave me a hearty loving laugh. Thank you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

I had a miserable awful day and this gave me a hearty loving laugh. Thank you.

The List takes a loving grim turn

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I don't think I've ever seen the Golden One move his facial muscles. Like not even one.

In the mean time I look forward to seeing the progress HBG makes developing his reptoids or whatever those are he's lifting with.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

e: speaking of ContraPoints and Bomber, are there any other good youtubers like them? I need more people laughing at nazis on my subscriptions these days.

Shaun and Jen

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Seconded. Shaun is a delight to listen to.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, Contrapoints is awesome. Everyone sub to them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd never heard of Contrapoints before, but they're pretty awesome. Finally, someone who could play Pegasus in a Yugioh movie.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd never heard of Contrapoints before, but they're pretty awesome. Finally, someone who could play Pegasus in a Yugioh movie.

Holy poo poo, I knew his outfit in the Pick Up Artists video reminded me of something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's something weird about The Golden One's proportions--like he's a living Tom of Finland illustration.

Contrapoints is amazing and true testimony to the power of public discourse, as he used to be an MRA before he started reading about feminism and engaging directly with people who disagreed with him. Also everything he says about graduate school is 100% true.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

There's a point in Hbomb's Holden One footage where it looks like he might be one connected dot away from having some realization if he just had more awareness and it's incredibly frustrating.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The Golden One appears to be bodybuilding for looks, not actual progress or purpose.

Much like the alt-right.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The end of his first TL;DR is comedy gold. That guy has some serious issues. All of that guy's fandom descended on that video too. The comments section is one big collection of garbage.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think ContraPoints pretty much nailed it with 'Alpha seems to be a way for guys with not a lot going for them to inflate and protect their own wounded masculinity' and talking about how actual dudes who could be called 'alpha' tend to not call themselves that.

It's cargo-cult masculinity; they see the trappings they want to see and try and amp up those to be "alpha", even if their exemplars are fictional characters who have the benefit of a script telling the girl she has to fall for their rear end in a top hat-yet-manly-yet-also-charming ways. Fiction is full of characters who openly state how much better they are than others, and it gets them the girl; clearly this works exactly the same way in real life.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In the context of conversations I've heard alpha used in a conversation is when a male character isn't well developed or utilized in a story (game, film or otherwise) and it's the writer or director's fault for being a beta male not understanding what to do with an alpha male character. It's just another one of those bullshit words people use for things they don't like. Like cuck, or millennial.

"This millennial dialogue" or "This director is such a beta he doesn't know how to use an character that has always been portrayed as an alpha." Nonsense like that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am always astounded by the overlap between nerds and fascists. There has to be something in common involving the withering of male entitlement into hatred of others.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Jack Gladney posted:

I am always astounded by the overlap between nerds and fascists. There has to be something in common involving the withering of male entitlement into hatred of others.

Objectivism.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

stillvisions posted:

It's cargo-cult masculinity; they see the trappings they want to see and try and amp up those to be "alpha", even if their exemplars are fictional characters who have the benefit of a script telling the girl she has to fall for their rear end in a top hat-yet-manly-yet-also-charming ways. Fiction is full of characters who openly state how much better they are than others, and it gets them the girl; clearly this works exactly the same way in real life.

See: every fan of Tyler Durden.

edit: Also almost everyone of the fictional characters they idolize ends up dead or totally ruined by the end of their stories, generally because of the "alpha" parts of their lifestyles. It's almost like the stories were trying to say something about living like that not really working in normal society.

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 20, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

Spending most of your life isolated --> Poor social skills --> Low self esteem --> Anxiety --> Overcompensation --> Blaming others for your problems --> Having hosed up views about women and minorities

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Speaking of misanthropes, MechaGamezilla cancelled his yearly Christmas special and has put out something else instead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jack Gladney posted:

a ton of 'nerd culture' is based in power fantasy. For a ton of its history a lot of those power fantasies were dominated by male voices with an assumed all male market. Smash cut to 2016 when a guy who's bookshelf is full of fantasy books thinks the filthy brown horde must be driven from his homeland lest they corrupt it with their foulness.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Kuroyama posted:

See: every fan of Tyler Durden.

edit: Also almost everyone of the fictional characters they idolize ends up dead or totally ruined by the end of their stories, generally because of the "alpha" parts of their lifestyles. It's almost like the stories were trying to say something about living like that not really working in normal society.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

Fantasy & SF the nerd bread and butter is saturated with themes that are also used by authoritarian movements. Science Fiction stories about conflicts with aliens often come across as novel length essay's on why we should fear the "other". Sometimes with authors like Heinlein its mostly intentional, but often it seems to be a problem with genre tropes and expectations guiding writers down the same path. Michael Moorcock the fantasy author and Anarchist actually wrote several essay's on the subject

http://libcom.org/library/starship-stormtroopers-michael-moorcock
When you add to that the sense of elitism niche groups foster, and the frequent awful depictions of minority types in a lot of the media they consume its not that surprising there's overlap.

Hell in the 30's you'd be surprised how many famous "Art should not be constrained by moralistic hypocrisy" types fell in love with Hitler and Mussolini, or if they were feeling particularly scandalous supporting Stalin and his "rational" regime. The Intellectuals and the Masses by John Carey is really enlightening about this phenomena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not to mention that futurism or its later permutation singularity-ism are both literally schools of fascist thought. So even just the very popular nerd fantasy of "smart people should be in charge to make everything better" inherently feeds into being fascist. If you need any further proof just check out Moviebob's twitter.

• Locked thread