Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

james hetfield is never worth listening to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

The new Be'lakor is so drat good, and Withering Strands is a 10 minute long masterpiece. It's been such a great year between this and Winter's Gate.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Chromatic posted:

A frozen heart explosion

Edit: The funniest thing about that is a few months ago he said he was going to use the Dimebash incident as an opportunity to get sober and reflect on things but instead comes out with that turd.

What incident is this? Also, I think it's pretty clear dude's got substance issues by now, he's not going to get sober and reflect on anything before he hits bottom.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
New Battle Beast song released. Come get your megacheese on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKYdrL-AAw

It's pretty meh, to be honest. Doesn't seem to have the spark they used to, which isn't surprising since they kicked the frontman and main songwriter out. I mean even their cheesiest pop tunes had some sort of flair to them, this one just chugs along.

EDIT: To make up for posting that, here's a friendly reminder that Havukruunu are some real drat good black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYAv13D9s8

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 17, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty sure Hetfield is a card carrying republican, so take from that what you will about the value of hearing him talk at length

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty sure Hetfield is a card carrying republican, so take from that what you will about the value of hearing him talk at length
He's a card-carrying NRA member and a bunch of idiots petitioned to have Metallica taken off the bill at Glastonbury a few years back because of bear hunting or something

Rogan's political ideas are equally worthless though

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I guess this doesn't really belong in the metal thread, but whatever. I caught Dillinger Escape Plan's last show in Toronto last night and it was loving awesome. During their final song, Greg Puciato jumped like 15 feet into the crowd from a balcony, surfed over to the bar, and then got shots for a bunch of lucky people.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

d0grent posted:

james hetfield is never worth listening to

neither is joe rogan

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

a fleshy snood posted:

I guess this doesn't really belong in the metal thread, but whatever. I caught Dillinger Escape Plan's last show in Toronto last night and it was loving awesome. During their final song, Greg Puciato jumped like 15 feet into the crowd from a balcony, surfed over to the bar, and then got shots for a bunch of lucky people.

I'm not a fan of DEP, but I'll always respect them for putting on crazy performances like that. I don't think I've seen or heard one bad thing about seeing them live.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty sure Hetfield is a card carrying republican

Good lord who cares

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

A human heart posted:

Good lord who cares

It's definitely not imprecise yet pretty reliable shorthand for someone being full of poo poo or anything

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Snowy posted:

Are there any interesting moments in the James Hetfield appearance on the latest Joe Rogan podcast? I tired listening but the first ten minutes of interview were painful.

yeah if you are interested in beekeeping

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Optimum Gulps posted:

yeah if you are interested in beekeeping

Haha holy poo poo actually I am.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
They really don't talk about politics at all but it's a cool listen. The first 30 minutes is James geeking out about his adventures in beekeeping so yeah.

Hetfield owns.

Tias posted:

What incident is this? Also, I think it's pretty clear dude's got substance issues by now, he's not going to get sober and reflect on anything before he hits bottom.

Yelled "white power" at Dimebash around a year ago. Rightfully got a ton of poo poo for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Chromatic posted:

They really don't talk about politics at all but it's a cool listen. The first 30 minutes is James geeking out about his adventures in beekeeping so yeah.

Hetfield owns.

Hahaha alright I definitely have to listen to that. Hetfield is wonderful.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Chromatic posted:

Hetfield owns.

Yelled "white power" at Dimebash around a year ago. Rightfully got a ton of poo poo for it.

And threw out the one-arm "Sieg Heil" salute.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Vintersorg posted:

But don't worry guys! He was drunk on wine!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

A human heart posted:

Good lord who cares

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I care if I'm giving money to someone who's views I find deplorable, but lmao I will never be giving Metallica money so

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

nerve posted:

I care if I'm giving money to someone who's views I find deplorable, but lmao I will never be giving Metallica money so

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Vintersorg posted:

How else are you supposed to do it?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MrBling posted:

Dicks out for Mengele

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

You could care but if you extend this to everything, including music, its gets pretty hard to ethically buy most things.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Danny LaFever posted:

You could care but if you extend this to everything, including music, its gets pretty hard to ethically buy most things.

yeah it's true

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't see why it should be an all-or-nothing kinda thing, though.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
It feels like there's way more people out there doing publicist side hustles these days. Just recently, I had some label in Poland who emailed me out of the blue offering to sign my death metal project. For a brief second I was pretty stoked, thinking The Underground hadn't failed us after all and there's still labels out there signing up unknowns. Then I let the guy pitch his deal and it turned out that he wanted like 2 grand to print up 500 cds for release on his label and then mail them to blogs/magazines/whatever, then spend a few months bugging said places into writing reviews. I, of course, declined, because that's a stupid waste of money. Then I recalled that I know a few people irl that do this kind of work, and the email address that I have for my university radio show gets emails from these dudes as well. There's an awful lot of them.

I do have to wonder though, how long has this business model been around in the metal scene? I have this fuzzy idea that, back in the 80s and 90s, labels both big and small operated based on the sales of their catalog, but what the hell do I know? It's definitely a super not-glamorous aspect of the business, so I wouldn't expect a lot of bands to talk about their experiences.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 19, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gorewar posted:

I do have to wonder though, how long has this business model been around in the metal scene?

payola has always been a part of music promotion and online/print media functioning as a glorified press release clearinghouse is just the next phase

why do you think metalsucks, decibel, metal injection, et al are owned by an advertising company?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

MrBling posted:

HAIL! HYDRA!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Double up for more racism points!

Hail Hydra was so loving corny.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
post some music you pieces of nerd poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDhlmxQWd4

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Hetfield is boring, try Lars' coked up ramblings on swedish radio institution "Sommar i P1" http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/743224?programid=2071

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dicks out for Mengele

Didn't the guy from Taake do that on stage once

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Didn't the guy from Taake do that on stage once

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

Weaponized Cum posted:

post some music you pieces of nerd poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDhlmxQWd4

https://crator-us.bandcamp.com/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I listened to most of that Hetfield episode against my better judgement, the beekeeping part was just ok but I was actually into the part about how they own their own vinyl pressing machines. Too bad I don't want any of the records but I love the idea of a band that big pressing their own stuff. They apparently got the inspiration from Jack White, notorious vinyl nerd.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Finalized Metal Top 10 of 2016:

1. Cobalt - Slow Forever
2. Vektor - Terminal Redux
3. Chthe'ilist - Le dernier crepuscule
4. Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas - Mariner
5. Church of Misery - And Then There Were None...
6. Nucleus - Sentient
7. Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us
8. Blood Incantation - Starspawn
9. Khemmis - Hunted
10. Deathspell Omega - Synarchy of Molten Bones

Pleiades' Dust slides in close to the top and Agoraphobic Nosebleed bringing up the rear if you include EPs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I need to sit down and listen to some Vektor, I passed over them at Bloodstock this year 'cos i'd never heard of them and now i'm wondering if that was perhaps a mistake

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

I need to sit down and listen to some Vektor, I passed over them at Bloodstock this year 'cos i'd never heard of them and now i'm wondering if that was perhaps a mistake
Uh, duh.

I saw them with Black Fast in the basement of some club in D.C. and they were amazing

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Caught them for their first couple of songs before going to meet friends for Symphony X.

Symphony X were great and all but in retrospect I'd rather have stayed and watched Vektor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
ive kept my eye on youtuber frank huang's channel for awhile and he really does the best recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZkbPTdhYfo