Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
This game keeps giving me things I've never seen before. Like a narrow room in the Cathedral that had a red angel in it. It didn't drop a key piece, which kinda sucks, I could have used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I've noticed a lot of new room types recently too. I wonder if they did a quiet update to the room types, or they're on some kinda timer to unlock or whatever.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a mod or something yet that removes the ridiculous dps limit on bosses like Hush and Ultra Greed?

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Oberleutnant posted:

I've noticed a lot of new room types recently too. I wonder if they did a quiet update to the room types, or they're on some kinda timer to unlock or whatever.

there's just so many rare rooms that you don't see all of them for a long, long time

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, Antibirth is apparently landing today at roughly 4PM EST it would seem? Hopefully they can navigate the inside track on ab+ now that both teams are communicating and perhaps hit the ground somewhat running when ab+ lands in a couple weeks or not far beyond it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Well, Antibirth is apparently landing today at roughly 4PM EST it would seem? Hopefully they can navigate the inside track on ab+ now that both teams are communicating and perhaps hit the ground somewhat running when ab+ lands in a couple weeks or not far beyond it.

I'd say this would hold me over until Afterbirth+ is released, but that's only two weeks away! Kind of bad timing for a huge mod, but I'm excited to try it out anyway. I've been playing a mod that gives every character Eden's Blessing at the start, and playing as Eden. It's a lot more fun, and the tear delay modifier makes it so that Eden never gets those low damage and low tears starts. It has the downside of making my rate of fire crazy good with a few tears up effects because Eden's Blessing is a tear delay modifier, not a straight tears up, I think, but it's still fun to start with an extra random passive.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ExiledTinkerer posted:

For some reason it got pushed back an hour.

I also noticed that Antibirth is specifically a mod to Rebirth and not Afterbirth so that's a lot of content that's going to be missing before anything else gets added

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Where are all these mods and how do they work?

I've soured a bit on BoI after all the lovely changes (straight up unfair rooms, hilariously bad items, unlockables that just clutter the pools with garbage) so I'd love to try something fresh.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

Where are all these mods and how do they work?

I've soured a bit on BoI after all the lovely changes (straight up unfair rooms, hilariously bad items, unlockables that just clutter the pools with garbage) so I'd love to try something fresh.

https://moddingofisaac.com/

Note that these are almost entirely all terrible or useless but there you are. Hopefully we'll get some decent mods in a few weeks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Antibirth's countdown timer led to a coming soon message. I need to learn to stop trusting countdown timers on websites. The site's being hammered and is only up intermittently, so it's possible they underestimated the traffic and can't access the site to update it because it's being hammered.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
They posted on Reddit there were last minute bugs that needed fix. Still expecting to release today.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It's out now. I just installed it and am about to check it out.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Here's the link.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So how exactly do mods work? I don't want to screw up my main game (steam), so do I need a separate install of BoI:R?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

So how exactly do mods work? I don't want to screw up my main game (steam), so do I need a separate install of BoI:R?

Documentation: https://moddingofisaac.com/help/

In short, unpack the downloaded file to your \The Binding of Isaac Rebirth\resources directory. Then just run the game and the mod should be loaded. To remove the mod, remove the extra files. Maybe keep a copy of the unmodded resources directory for easy swapping.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there any issue with steam and just loading a fully unlocked save? I'm not going to get mega and godhead (and all of keeper and greed mode unlocks) before ab+ and I think I'd rather just have everything unlocked at this point.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Can it not be used with Afterbirth then? Would disabling the Afterbirth DLC and reverting back to Rebirth sod up my save?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Played a few games of Antibirth and have enjoyed it so far. The Shitlord challenge is great (actually called Scatman - you're the king of turd mountain) and Turbo! is just plain nuts. It's kind of fun to go back to how it was when half the things you pick up are a mystery, but I also miss having access to descriptions for items and challenges. What the heck does the soul heart counter mean in the Bloody Mary challenge?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chippy posted:

Would disabling the Afterbirth DLC and reverting back to Rebirth sod up my save?

I'm wondering about this too.

I've never done any modding before so I don't know how uh.. "destructive" it is, especially if it's as big as this mod. I've probably put close to 1000 hours into BoI so I'm excited for a fresh experience but it would be a shame if installing Antibirth completely hosed my old installation and save files :v:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Antibirth apparently overwrites your Rebirth saves, which are distinct from your Afterbirth saves.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

Antibirth apparently overwrites your Rebirth saves, which are distinct from your Afterbirth saves.

Oh, that's neat!

I ended up installing it, but now I'm wondering.. should I play on a new save file or my Real Platinum God save? That is, does playing on the completed save interfere in any way with the new content or does it just mean I won't have to unlock everything else as well?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Gromit posted:

Played a few games of Antibirth and have enjoyed it so far. The Shitlord challenge is great (actually called Scatman - you're the king of turd mountain) and Turbo! is just plain nuts. It's kind of fun to go back to how it was when half the things you pick up are a mystery, but I also miss having access to descriptions for items and challenges. What the heck does the soul heart counter mean in the Bloody Mary challenge?

Extra charges for your spacebar item. The buff from the book stacks too.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Mr Phillby posted:

So, if I disable Afterbirth, install Antibirth, play for a bit, and then re-enable Afterbirth, my save will be as it was before. Is anyone able to confirm that this works?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
First impressions of the mod:

Lots of cool new items and effects, everything is very professionally done and the art and everything feels 100% in place (if someone showed it to me and said it was an official expansion, I'd believe it).

However..

Several of the new enemies, bosses and rooms seem ridiculously unfair. There are some incredibly overpowered new items, but I don't feel like that makes up for it (in fact I'd rather have neither). Unavoidable damage and DPS checks is just sloppy design, although in all fairness the base game has tons of that now too :sigh:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

First impressions of the mod:

Lots of cool new items and effects, everything is very professionally done and the art and everything feels 100% in place (if someone showed it to me and said it was an official expansion, I'd believe it).

However..

Several of the new enemies, bosses and rooms seem ridiculously unfair. There are some incredibly overpowered new items, but I don't feel like that makes up for it (in fact I'd rather have neither). Unavoidable damage and DPS checks is just sloppy design, although in all fairness the base game has tons of that now too :sigh:

There was one horizontal long room I walked into where there were single-column spitting wall-spiders on the top and bottom, and a long single bridge from the door to the middle of the room. Immediately as I walked in some of those red regenerating guys rushed me. If my DPS wasn't crazy good I would have died. Since it was crazy good, I "only" lost two hearts.

The new Bethany character that you unlock by getting twelve spirit/black hearts is a more interesting new character than The Lost or The Keeper though. She can't gain black, spirit, or eternal hearts. Instead, they turn into extra charges for her spacebar item on pickup. The spacebar item is a book that spawns little blue/black/white fires around you that dissipate slightly when they burn an enemy or block a shot, and also they fire tears intermittently when you do. The book sometimes deals damage to all enemies in a room, I think when you use a black heart charge? Also, I think she can only get angel rooms, which start on the second floor like devil rooms would.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Cant wait for antibirth to work w afterbirth +

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

chippy posted:

So, if I disable Afterbirth, install Antibirth, play for a bit, and then re-enable Afterbirth, my save will be as it was before. Is anyone able to confirm that this works?

Yes it does.

Your Computer posted:

I completely agree. A lot of the new enemies and room layouts are straight up damage/flight checks. The mod overall seems to make the game harder. I'm too lazy to unpack and check but it seems like some enemies have increased health as well, which just makes the game less fun in general IMO.

That said, there's a lot to praise the mod for. From a technical standpoint it's pretty great, making a lot of changes that most modders would consider impossible. It also still feels like Isaac in the end which is something that a lot of the big overhaul mods gently caress up.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Re: Bethany--

Unless something changed from demo to release, when Cobalt was playing Bethany he got the eternal hearts during the game and extended his meter to like 5 red hearts by the end of the run. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, anyway.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
There was a boss on level 3 I think which is nuts! The Reap Spider or something. It moves back and forth like the Haunt but it is ridiculously tough if you get a bad floor plan like I did.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

I completely agree. A lot of the new enemies and room layouts are straight up damage/flight checks. The mod overall seems to make the game harder. I'm too lazy to unpack and check but it seems like some enemies have increased health as well, which just makes the game less fun in general IMO.

That said, there's a lot to praise the mod for. From a technical standpoint it's pretty great, making a lot of changes that most modders would consider impossible. It also still feels like Isaac in the end which is something that a lot of the big overhaul mods gently caress up.

Well put.

Also, I hate how many enemies do the "spewing" type of shot like Monstro. The ones that fly upwards and fall down. The game has never been good with z-axis collision, and it's often incredibly hard to see if a shot is supposed to be way above you or right beside you. I had a room now with like 6 of the new monsters that bounce around and spew bullets like that, and it literally filled the entire screen and it just became a matter of "kill them ASAP before you take too much damage".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ShadowedFlames posted:

Re: Bethany--

Unless something changed from demo to release, when Cobalt was playing Bethany he got the eternal hearts during the game and extended his meter to like 5 red hearts by the end of the run. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, anyway.

That's my bad, I thought I picked up an eternal heart because I thought I heard the sound, but it's just some new kind of heart that she can't get.

The secret floors are amazing, very difficult but very fair. I just died to a boss that was basically a mob trap room with some extra effects. I died because I was good on health, but then the game crashed and I had to redo a floor but took a lot of stupid full heart damage.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
This mod is amazing and anyone whining about difficulty needs to get good :v:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

BJPaskoff posted:

That's my bad, I thought I picked up an eternal heart because I thought I heard the sound, but it's just some new kind of heart that she can't get.

The secret floors are amazing, very difficult but very fair. I just died to a boss that was basically a mob trap room with some extra effects. I died because I was good on health, but then the game crashed and I had to redo a floor but took a lot of stupid full heart damage.

You're thinking of the new white hearts. I'm not sure their name, maybe spirit hearts, but those take two hits to go away in the Womb and beyond. Otherwise they're like your soul hearts that she can't get because they're fuel for her starting item.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

They also regenerate if you finish a room with one half-empty! They're aces.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted to like Bethany but I think they made her stats too low, so you really have to rely on her item. Her gimmick is cool and has a lot of potential (soul hearts as item charge), but I tried using it with several other items and nothing really synergizes as well as her starting item, making her a bit of a one-trick pony.

I'm not a fan of the item either, since it acts both as your DPS and your shield. Enemies that charge you or rooms with tons of little enemies/bullets can rip through all your fires in a matter of seconds, even if you were maxed out and then... welp :shrug: It makes the screen really busy and it doesn't feel rewarding to use at all to me.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Your Computer posted:

Well put.

Also, I hate how many enemies do the "spewing" type of shot like Monstro. The ones that fly upwards and fall down. The game has never been good with z-axis collision, and it's often incredibly hard to see if a shot is supposed to be way above you or right beside you. I had a room now with like 6 of the new monsters that bounce around and spew bullets like that, and it literally filled the entire screen and it just became a matter of "kill them ASAP before you take too much damage".

I'm pretty sure there is literally no z-axis collision check and the actual bullet is just the shadow of the "flying" bullet, which travels in a straight line.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I've had the opposite experience with Bethany, really. Granted I've only had one clear with her (well, I reached the Chest and died because I had Blood Oath), but once you get enough flames going, she's really hard to kill and rips through stuff like butter.

She seems to have an increased drop rate on soul hearts, too, meaning I was pretty much always at 14 flames by the endgame.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
antibirth is really good and I don't think it has any more bullshit in it than vanilla

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Saigyouji posted:

I've had the opposite experience with Bethany, really. Granted I've only had one clear with her (well, I reached the Chest and died because I had Blood Oath), but once you get enough flames going, she's really hard to kill and rips through stuff like butter.

She seems to have an increased drop rate on soul hearts, too, meaning I was pretty much always at 14 flames by the endgame.

Yeah, I felt like a steamroller and finished with something like 40 soul hearts left to use. Went through the Mausoleum and the Sewers and the Mine (?) - loved the little guys riding carts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Also, the new soundtrack is amazing. (In particular, the Mom's Heart theme, the arcade theme, and the boss theme for the new final boss.)