Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Normal pedophiles are creeps that kidnap children and take them to remote places, or relatives that wait until they are alone with children in their own home. DEMOCRAT big-wig pedophiles spend literally millions creating custom vans and flying all over the world while creating elaborate codes (that are already broken and everyone knows) and emailing each other info, have hundreds of empoyees working around the clock to blah dee blah blah. Christ these people have never even been in the same zip code as Occam's razor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I love when these lovely, stupid, racist assholes contradict each other in a race to be the shittiest, stupidest, most racist rear end in a top hat.

"Democrats want to use Planned Parenthood and prison to kill off blacks!" "No you fool! Democrats want there to be even more blacks to commit all their voter fraud!"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jagged Jim posted:

To: marktwain

Actually democrats are racists. They prevent urban blacks from the education that would allow them to succeeded, leaving a birth to prison track as the only option. Violence is a learned response to the deprivation they suffer. When John Glenn was preparing for his orbital flight he had a black woman, recalculate the ibm computer’s numbers because he trusted our first coders more then a machine. If allowed African’s should dominate physics and math, but the left needs slaves more then people making money and paying taxes

10 posted on 12/18/2016 5:05:13 PM PST by waynesa98
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Ok, I'm tired of hearing this poo poo today. How, exactly, do democrats prevent anyone from education? Last I checked it was Republicans screaming about cutting education spending so they could build another tank for the army

Also, side note, I'm laughing hysterically at republican responses on youtube to SNL's latest Trump sketch. Listen, crybabies, you won, deal with it. You can't cry anymore, you won.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 19, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Duke Igthorn posted:

Normal pedophiles are creeps that kidnap children and take them to remote places, or relatives that wait until they are alone with children in their own home. DEMOCRAT big-wig pedophiles spend literally millions creating custom vans and flying all over the world while creating elaborate codes (that are already broken and everyone knows) and emailing each other info, have hundreds of empoyees working around the clock to blah dee blah blah. Christ these people have never even been in the same zip code as Occam's razor.

The whole actual-factual UK pedophile politician ring certainly didn't help.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

quote:

To: Morgana

IMO blacks are more violent today than they were in the 50”s or 60”s when I grew up. White's didn't hate blacks back then. And I don't believe blacks hated whites. today they are urged and taught to hate white people. Most of them are racist now. White's recognize this, and have become wary and cautious about blacks. Nothing will change until the blacks attitude toward whites changes.

37 posted on 12/18/2016 6:13:19 PM PST by deweyfrank (Nobody's Perfect)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

L the gently caress O L

Blacks weren't hated, they were just murdered by klan members that got away with it, segregated, fire hosed, beaten, arrested for trivial bullshit...why no, no one hated them then...
I mean there's revisionist history ans scar mongering on freep.....and then there's the same times 10 like this post

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Freepers: and mind you he’s a black man

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SocketWrench posted:

Ok, I'm tired of hearing this poo poo today. How, exactly, do democrats prevent anyone from education? Last I checked it was Republicans screaming about cutting education spending so they could build another tank for the army

That the army doesn't loving want because in the modern age of warfare tanks are specialized tools only needed in rare, specific situations, but good luck telling the GOP's donors that.

See also: F-35, LCS.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SocketWrench posted:

L the gently caress O L

Blacks weren't hated, they were just murdered by klan members that got away with it, segregated, fire hosed, beaten, arrested for trivial bullshit...why no, no one hated them then...
I mean there's revisionist history ans scar mongering on freep.....and then there's the same times 10 like this post

The usual response, when you can get one, is that none of that poo poo happened until those goddamn yankee commies from up north came down and got black people all confused and riled up with nonsense they didn't understand and gosh, local whites just had to do something to get things back under control.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

They're big supporters of voucher systems and "school choice." They believe that Democrats are forcing minorities into lovely public schools instead of giving them vouchers to attend superior private schools where they'll get a better education. They believe part of the reason public schools are lovely is because Democrats are supportive of the teacher's union, which protects bad teachers from being fired so the school can hire better teachers. Thus, Democrats are preventing minorities from receiving good education.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cythereal posted:

That the army doesn't loving want because in the modern age of warfare tanks are specialized tools only needed in rare, specific situations, but good luck telling the GOP's donors that.

See also: F-35, LCS.

So is the hardware being developed independently of them? Or do they not even get to decide what they build?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

They're big supporters of voucher systems and "school choice." They believe that Democrats are forcing minorities into lovely public schools instead of giving them vouchers to attend superior private schools where they'll get a better education. They believe part of the reason public schools are lovely is because Democrats are supportive of the teacher's union, which protects bad teachers from being fired so the school can hire better teachers. Thus, Democrats are preventing minorities from receiving good education.

Well that's the line but they actually support that stuff as a back alley way of making segregation legal for publicly funded schools again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well yeah but just like "I want all Mexicans to leave the country" they can't flat out say their lovely views, they have to hide it behind things like "We need to crack down on illegal immigration."

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

So is the hardware being developed independently of them? Or do they not even get to decide what they build?

I think it more comes down to jobs. The army has a ridiculous surplus of vehicles that will likely never see any action, much less ever be used even in training exercises, because those factories putting stuff together for those tanks are in someone's district, and they're going to fight to keep that factory alive.

The Army doesn't really put in an order for the tanks they need so much as congress just loving blows their load on military hardware that keeps jobs in their districts. You wouldn't want to be up for election after you cancelled the order for another 20 tanks for the Army when the factory that produces the engines, or the armor, or the electronics systems or any number of parts for the machine are in your district. So to keep your bid for re-election viable, you're going to gently caress the military and the taxpayers by ordering a bunch of poo poo the former doesn't need on the latter's dime. Thanks Military Industrial Complex. Eisenhower loving called it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well yeah but just like "I want all Mexicans to leave the country" they can't flat out say their lovely views, they have to hide it behind things like "We need to crack down on illegal immigration."

It helps when the opposing party has assholes that support these platforms like school choice (such as Booker and Clinton maybe she's hard to pin down) so there is no meaningful opposition to hammer in their disingenuous arguments. It's hard for them to say "you support vouchers because you want to segregate public schools! Now I personally want it because gently caress unions and I have friends that would benefit financially from them which is a sensible reason for them" without looking like total tools.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Technical Analysis posted:

I think it more comes down to jobs. The army has a ridiculous surplus of vehicles that will likely never see any action, much less ever be used even in training exercises, because those factories putting stuff together for those tanks are in someone's district, and they're going to fight to keep that factory alive.

The Army doesn't really put in an order for the tanks they need so much as congress just loving blows their load on military hardware that keeps jobs in their districts. You wouldn't want to be up for election after you cancelled the order for another 20 tanks for the Army when the factory that produces the engines, or the armor, or the electronics systems or any number of parts for the machine are in your district. So to keep your bid for re-election viable, you're going to gently caress the military and the taxpayers by ordering a bunch of poo poo the former doesn't need on the latter's dime. Thanks Military Industrial Complex. Eisenhower loving called it.

Yeah, if you google map out in the desert areas of the US you can find lots with shitloads of Abrams parked on it just sitting in mothball till needed/sold/scrapped

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, if you google map out in the desert areas of the US you can find lots with shitloads of Abrams parked on it just sitting in mothball till needed/sold/scrapped

Exactly how much security do these lots have?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I imagine they don't store the jet fuel, ammo or auxillary machine guns with the tanks. Wouldn't surprise me if the electronics and other key components are stored somewhere else too.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

out of context Freep

quote:

In the world of websites, modern = crap.

Via

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Slashrat posted:

I imagine they don't store the jet fuel, ammo or auxillary machine guns with the tanks. Wouldn't surprise me if the electronics and other key components are stored somewhere else too.

This
All the supplies they use and the secret stuff is stored elsewhere. These storage spots are just like fenced in areas where the equipment gets locked down, just like the airforce boneyard. They can either scavenge parts off the tanks there or bring whole fresh tanks out

Bonus fact, our tank boneyard is the largest of its kind in the world.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's also a bit hard to sneak away with a tank on a hundreds of miles drive regardless. :v:

Plus a lot of those tanks might go maaybe 300 miles on a full 500+ gallon load of fuel, and that's in the best conditions. So you'd have to haul all that fuel out there, and maybe multiples of that, if you're not going to instead somehow get a hold of a truck that can successfully haul one of the tanks away.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Can't you flat out buy surplus tanks withe the weapons systems taken out?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Neo_Crimson posted:

Can't you flat out buy surplus tanks withe the weapons systems taken out?

Yes, though unsurprisingly it's rather expensive and not the easiest thing to do.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Seems cheaper to just buy the biggest truck nuts you could find.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fishmech posted:

It's also a bit hard to sneak away with a tank on a hundreds of miles drive regardless. :v:

Plus a lot of those tanks might go maaybe 300 miles on a full 500+ gallon load of fuel, and that's in the best conditions. So you'd have to haul all that fuel out there, and maybe multiples of that, if you're not going to instead somehow get a hold of a truck that can successfully haul one of the tanks away.

I figured it would be hard to drive off in an Abrams, but is there anything keeping some schmuck from playing around on the equipment?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

chitoryu12 posted:

I figured it would be hard to drive off in an Abrams, but is there anything keeping some schmuck from playing around on the equipment?

And do they host birthday parties?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I think history needs more pictures of dudes pretending giant guns are their dicks so sure they probably allow it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Technical Analysis posted:

As for the F-35 and LCS, the military procurement industry in the US is beyond hosed up. The military doesn't need them, but they're getting them anyway because at the beginning of the procurement process both projects did specify something the military believed they needed (though the Marine version of the 35 is inexcusable). And there was never the political willpower to stop either project when it became clear what a boondoggle they had become.

The US military doesn't need the F-35, or the LCS, or more tanks, or more aircraft carriers, or more stealth bombers. But the military has never persuaded Congress of that fact.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Well, the idea behind the F-35 is to build a cheaper, more advanced with room for more advancement replacement for the aging craft we use now that's approaching the end of its life span. The problem really came in when the Marines wanted VTOL which just took a big poo poo on the airframe and hosed the plane forever. To add to the problems the air force hates "low and slow" which makes the A-10 their favorite whipping bitch. So rather than figure out a plane design for CAS, they want this pile-o-mess to do that role too.
The Navy wants something that can launch and land on a carrier, be packed away in confined spaces and do its job at defense and attack
The Marines want a plane that can pound the gently caress out of everything because they're insecure and take of vertically because "Guadalcanal!"
The air force wants sleek and fast, gently caress the ground pounders
2 of those 3 may overlap, but all three are pretty much a no go.
And that doesn't even touch on the "100 billion lines of code" for this thing to gently caress up with that controls everything from telling the pilot when to pick his nose to firing a damned gun while mixing in this sensor poo poo to "order new parts" so the first time one of these things goes down (who am I kidding, these will never see combat because anyone that even scratches the paint will end their career right there) it'll spam the gently caress out of the pentagon for moar parts!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yes, though unsurprisingly it's rather expensive and not the easiest thing to do.

The biggest hurdle to it, if you plan to use them on any roads, is you have to find a way to attach rubber pads to the treads because the metal will tear poo poo up...and it's not like you can just go to the bargain tire bin at a Walmart
It'd be easier all around to just get yourself an armored scout car or something. I wouldn't have any issue cruising around in a Greyhound

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 20, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SocketWrench posted:

^ Well, the idea behind the F-35 is to build a cheaper, more advanced with room for more advancement replacement for the aging craft we use now that's approaching the end of its life span.

The sales pitch to the military for the F-35 was a new version of the F-16: a smaller, cheaper stablemate to the F-15/F-22 versatile for a variety of missions, able to be launched off small airfields, and sold to allies around the world.

That is not what the military has gotten, and there was never a point where seriously opposing the F-35 (or the LCS, or more tanks, or more aircraft carriers, or more stealth bombers) wasn't political suicide, for congressmen or career military staff.

We as a country are so disconnected from our military and its needs and problems that it's difficult to credit at times. I think that mentality is also why US foreign policy has become so belligerent: we love our troops and love being the number one military power in the world, but we do not give a flying gently caress about what people in the military want because we try very hard to not think of the military as being made of people.

Back on topic, just look at Freep's love-hate relationship with the military. Billions for killing Muslims over in the desert somewhere, not one cent for taking care of our soldiers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Soldiers to them are meatbags that earned the privilege of dying in their stead.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cythereal posted:

The sales pitch to the military for the F-35 was a new version of the F-16: a smaller, cheaper stablemate to the F-15/F-22 versatile for a variety of missions, able to be launched off small airfields, and sold to allies around the world.

That is not what the military has gotten, and there was never a point where seriously opposing the F-35 (or the LCS, or more tanks, or more aircraft carriers, or more stealth bombers) wasn't political suicide, for congressmen or career military staff.

We as a country are so disconnected from our military and its needs and problems that it's difficult to credit at times. I think that mentality is also why US foreign policy has become so belligerent: we love our troops and love being the number one military power in the world, but we do not give a flying gently caress about what people in the military want because we try very hard to not think of the military as being made of people.

Back on topic, just look at Freep's love-hate relationship with the military. Billions for killing Muslims over in the desert somewhere, not one cent for taking care of our soldiers.

Well, it's not just the military. Everything gets plarized these days. People only vote for one party no matter how bad the candidate. Topics like gun control are hardlined total freedom or total ban. There's no middle ground and it loving sucks till we can kick all the old fucks off to the afterlife so the newer generations have more say, and hopefully are willing to work with others rather than this all or nothing bullshit

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SocketWrench posted:

Well, it's not just the military. Everything gets plarized these days. People only vote for one party no matter how bad the candidate. Topics like gun control are hardlined total freedom or total ban. There's no middle ground and it loving sucks till we can kick all the old fucks off to the afterlife so the newer generations have more say, and hopefully are willing to work with others rather than this all or nothing bullshit

Sorry the old fuckers are taking us all down with them.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
This article was posted in the milhist thread recently and is an excellent look at the disconnect between the military and the public these days, among other things: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/01/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/

Well worth the read!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Cythereal posted:

I mean, it's in line with their actual purpose. They're shipped off or used as a bludgeon to advance the interests of the American Capitalism and hegemony. When they are no longer usable, they they are tossed aside.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I mean, it's in line with their actual purpose. They're shipped off or used as a bludgeon to advance the interests of the American Capitalism and hegemony. When they are no longer usable, they they are tossed aside.

That's kinda the American system in general. As long as you're useful we'll use you. Once you aren't, well, gently caress you, don't care. Unless of course the person chirping the line is the one that isn't useful, then he demands government to support him because his case is special

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SocketWrench posted:

That's kinda the American system in general. As long as you're useful we'll use you. Once you aren't, well, gently caress you, don't care. Unless of course the person chirping the line is the one that isn't useful, then he demands government to support him because his case is special

Capitalism.txt right here.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

more out of context Freep

quote:

They are desperate to drink in Russia due to the American media labeling them as hackers.

Via

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
...What's wrong with the Literal Combat Ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Neither of the prime contractors put in a corrosion protection system because they thought it was the responsibility of the others.

Extend that to every system on the ship including two complete propulsion systems.