Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

That being said I'd still like to see ... Pharah get a splash damage boost.
You crazy.

Pharah is in a really good spot right now. The agility she gained in the air (and the bigger jump jet) has made a huge difference to her survivability.

Giving her more splash damage would negate Junk Rat's role in the game even further and make her a real murder machine, as it would be significantly harder to dodge her than even hitscan during fights and make it even easier for her to get multikills.

(My opinion here is based on that I play an absolute shitload of Pharah, 150+ hours between QP and Comp)

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's also harder to play around with her range as a flanker, which makes her more dangerous for them. reaper finds it annoying as well since she can start hitting him before he's close enough to kill her as fast, which can be scary if you're already hurt and/or she's already charged

it's not a huge boost to her as a combat hero (she's still not that) but it helps
Yeah, I think they made her range about 1 meter too far, and she needs to lose some of her gun charge (I don't know, maybe 30-50%?) every time she switches targets. Right now in teamfights on point she can get get up to where she's able to kill 200hp heroes almost before they can react, and certainly before they can usually fight back.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bluhman posted:

The range increase does seem to make it a whole lot easier to keep the chain going. Not even a split-second of downtime stops a level 3 Symmetra gun, so it obviously becomes a huge menace in situations where the whole team's huddled on the cart/on the point. Keep in mind, from 5 to 7 meters; that's a 40% increase in distance covered, and the autolocking still gives them a huge advantage within that range.

Ultimately I can envision blizzard probably nerfing the cooldown between charge levels of the gun.

it's also harder to play around with her range as a flanker, which makes her more dangerous for them. reaper finds it annoying as well since she can start hitting him before he's close enough to kill her as fast, which can be scary if you're already hurt and/or she's already charged

it's not a huge boost to her as a combat hero (she's still not that) but it helps

off-key indie nonsense
Apr 22, 2010

It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us cybersinners.

Jabor posted:

nah, they rebalanced the curve a little bit to try and not have everyone clumped in platinum

you'll probably end up a little lower than you were in previous seasons, but it's not because you've gotten worse

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Though I think I may have a lot of fun being in bronze, since I'm probably just a tiny bit better.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Vax posted:

So I'm placed 2500 now. I guess I couldve been much higher if not for all of those leavers? :shrug:

Possibly, but your ranking is evaluated much more by your individual performance than your win/loss ratio (though I don't know by what metrics). 2500 is the diamond/gold border if I recall correctly and if that's what you were getting matched up against after your 5 successful matches it's probably a good place for you.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Sick of Zarya being a Good Hero Choice. Between her, Mercy, and New Sym it feels like the entire game is Attack of the 50 Foot Long Laser Beams.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I tried a friends PS4 overwatch last night - I have no idea how they even manage to aim on it, PC is much superior Way more control

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
junkrat is the 'turn brain off and hold m1' hero and that works just great for low skill gamers so blizz is probably satisfied with him

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm so mad at the SymMercy meta. I'm done with this until the next patch is applied.

But I'm still playing it and hating myself. Holiday skins, y'see.

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tenebrais posted:

your ranking is evaluated much more by your individual performance than your win/loss ratio (though I don't know by what metrics).

I cannot believe people actually believe this.

Your SR is based entirely on whether you partied or had good luck during placements.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

junkrat is the 'turn brain off and hold m1' hero and that works just great for low skill gamers so blizz is probably satisfied with him

Partly true. There are junkrats that are just junk and then there are junkrats that air-grenade Pharas 247, doing trickjumps over half the map with the mine. Know exactly where to position for ult and which wall to climb over with the tire etc. To play junkrat and be decent is easy, to master him is very difficult.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

off-key indie nonsense posted:

I just need someone to tell me... I lost over 1100 points going into s3. Am I really that bad?

You're probably playing the same, or having an off week. I haven't had master roadhog stats in comp all week, despite him being all I play. It's like learning how to play tracer well has ruined him for me.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Junkrat's main problem is that he can spam a choke all he wants but unless he gets picks he's helping the other team by doing so.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Aspergeoisie posted:

I cannot believe people actually believe this.

Your SR is based entirely on whether you partied or had good luck during placements.
Not really though. Someone went 2-8 (or something terrible) and placed at 4500. I'm not saying it's all down to how you perform in just those 10 games (where you ended season 2 seems to be the biggest factor), but the results don't matter much either.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Aspergeoisie posted:

No, your SR after placements is mostly determined by MMR, and after that gaining or losing SR is mostly dependent on winning/losing.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Do you folks who arm-aim and play tanks crank your sensitivity a bit for playing them? Finding it a bit hard to turn fast enough in close quarters with Rein and Dva.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Make Junkrat's M1 do full damage to the entire splash radius. Doesn't change 1v1 much but makes his spam actually threatening rather than feeding ult and also makes him murder death balls.

Alternately, make his trap indestructible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Make Junkrat's M1 do full damage to the entire splash radius. Doesn't change 1v1 much but makes his spam actually threatening rather than feeding ult and also makes him murder death balls.

if they made it indestructible you just know it'd be on a timer instead, and we're talking like 15 seconds or something

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

No, your SR after placements is mostly determined by MMR, and after that gaining or losing SR is mostly dependent on winning/losing.

gaining/losing sr is entirely dependent upon winning/losing (you can't go up when you lose and you can't go down when you win), but the amount depends on your individual performance and who you're playing against

it seems to be weighing your performance more heavily than it was in previous seasons, or at least the way it does so is different

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I like playing Junkrat to defend the last point of Route 66. Dropping his trap along side the cart in the final tunnel almost always catches someone and the quarters are tight so it's harder for enemies to avoid the bombs. I fight as close to the cart as possible so if I die I drop my grenades on the cart too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Comp overwatch has taught me that 9/10 times the people who say "plz report X for trolling" at the end of the match are trolling themselves by getting super mad that someone made a hero pick they didn't like.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
one time this junkrat dropped a trap where there was a bunch of visual clutter like coiled wires and poo poo on the ground and i thought that that was pretty smart of him but because i knew where it was i just broke it and then killed him as i skillfully weaved between his stupid pill spam

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Snazzy Frocks posted:

one time this junkrat dropped a trap where there was a bunch of visual clutter like coiled wires and poo poo on the ground and i thought that that was pretty smart of him but because i knew where it was i just broke it and then killed him as i skillfully weaved between his stupid pill spam

and then everyone stood up and clapped

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i don't think people are making up overwatch war stories

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i was just telling a story about why people who pick junkrat are bad gamers who lose comp games for their teams

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

No. Increase projectile speed, remove the proximity explosion after the 1st bounce.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Dyz posted:

No. Increase projectile speed, remove the proximity explosion after the 1st bounce.

Nonsense, just make using a XBone or PS4 controller mandatory.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
make junkrats bombs work like real grenade launcher grenades and just have them explode on contact with any surface

or make him have to set a timer and grenades only blow up after the fixed time interval

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 19, 2016

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Give Pharahs rockets more knockback so you can pop people into the air.

Edit: give her a melee weapon that makes her run faster the lower health she is.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

prom candy posted:

Give Pharahs rockets more knockback so you can pop people into the air.

Edit: give her a melee weapon that makes her run faster the lower health she is.

Also give everyone a jar of pee to toss. Even a pee jar toss emote would make me happy.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I watched some of the MLG tournament and like most teams are just 4 tank/2 support. Thats kinda boring.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KoB posted:

I watched some of the MLG tournament and like most teams are just 4 tank/2 support. Thats kinda boring.

When there's money on the line you play what wins the money generally

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i think the meta would improve by removing roadhog or completely reworking his hook or something

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't really remember seeing Roadhog much until Ana came around. Ana warps the world around her

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i think the meta would improve by removing roadhog or completely reworking his hook or something

I straight up cannot make Roadhog work for me. I'm great with the hooking but I can't really get used to aiming his gun and it feels so arbitrary. I feel like I should get better? I'm trash with Reinhardt too but I generally blame that on him being tough to play without a solid team as I do fairly well as him when I play with arranged teams.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got really sick of how every ranked game is the same this weekend and started to play around with Torb and Bastian. Lots of people got angry about it but I won way more of my games than lost, and I got a few POTGs as both of 'em. I wish there was a mode like ranked where people communicated and worked together, but without the immediate vitriol if someone picks a character that's not in the current favored line up. Quick play could be like that but no one talks or works together.

KoB
May 1, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

When there's money on the line you play what wins the money generally

I dont blame them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kashuno posted:

I don't really remember seeing Roadhog much until Ana came around. Ana warps the world around her

Prior to Ana the big meta-deforming thing was Zenyatta having an orb of discord that applied a 50% damage buff to people shooting its target instead of 30% and in that meta Roadhog basically melted. 600 natural hitpoints but no mitigation or shields meant that as soon as Zen slapped him with the orb everyone would just turn their guns on Hog and not even huffing paint could save him. That's not to say that people never played him ever, Zarya was still the game's best secondary tank and without her nerf so it wasn't uncommon to have Zarya supporting Roadhog with bubbles, but it did mean that Roadhog could die much, much faster if he got out of position, so he became a sometimes food.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wildtortilla posted:

I got really sick of how every ranked game is the same this weekend and started to play around with Torb and Bastian. Lots of people got angry about it but I won way more of my games than lost, and I got a few POTGs as both of 'em. I wish there was a mode like ranked where people communicated and worked together, but without the immediate vitriol if someone picks a character that's not in the current favored line up. Quick play could be like that but no one talks or works together.

Torb's rivet gun doesn't do world-breaking amounts of damage but it does enough to make it worthwhile to git gud at landing consistent shots with it. A tracer or genji getting shot up by your turret/team can be finished right off with one or two good shots as they flee and it never gets old. Same for the alt-fire up close, you can definitely ruin a tank's day if you get in close and open up with M2. Between the rivet gun and the turret, he puts out very solid area-coverage damage but without the indiscriminate healerbait problem Junkrat has.

It's just that lots of people treat him like the TF2 engineer (but not the mini-turret variant) and just sit around humping their turret instead of using the rivet gun to augment the turret damage, and they think that everyone else must also be treating him like that. Sombra has the same makes-pubs-mad effect.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A lot of people also don't spam enough armor out even though he now generates it naturally. I always get mildly annoyed when there's a Torb on the team and they're saving all the armor for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Prior to Ana the big meta-deforming thing was Zenyatta having an orb of discord that applied a 50% damage buff to people shooting its target instead of 30% and in that meta Roadhog basically melted. 600 natural hitpoints but no mitigation or shields meant that as soon as Zen slapped him with the orb everyone would just turn their guns on Hog and not even huffing paint could save him. That's not to say that people never played him ever, Zarya was still the game's best secondary tank and without her nerf so it wasn't uncommon to have Zarya supporting Roadhog with bubbles, but it did mean that Roadhog could die much, much faster if he got out of position, so he became a sometimes food.

Also, it meant that all those other characters with 200 HP and no damage mitigation or sustain vaporized practically as soon as the orb hit them. The big HP disparity between tanks and non-tanks seems to consistently lead to balance problems, because most things that can burst a tank down relatively quickly will absolutely destroy most non-tanks.