Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Zoness posted:

That said I really want either Tapu Fini or Primarina to have some form of good recovery move.

Primarina gets rest and aqua ring, or are those not considered good for this?

Also looking at Sparkling Aria - what's the point of this? I'd just rather take Scald, and if the 10 extra bp matters there's Surf.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Also looking at Sparkling Aria - what's the point of this? I'd just rather take Scald, and if the 10 extra bp matters there's Surf.

pretty sure it bypasses substitute which is really good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there's no feeling worse than using a move that bypasses a sub, doing 30-40% to the target, and then dying while it keeps its sub

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

rest-talk is ok but limits your options and aqua ring is basically not good.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

JackDarko posted:

Weird question, does anyone have any good nuzzlocke series recommendations? Amusing, or informative that sort of thing.

Seconding the recommendation for Griffin McElroy's X/Y Nuzlocke.
Will also shoot out a recommendation for Team 4 Star's Soul Silver Nuzlocke.
(you will fall in love with a Chikorita).

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

ChrisBTY posted:

(you will fall in love with a Chikorita).

I don't need anyone to tell me to love Chikorita, I love her already.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Agent355 posted:

Okay so, help me out here dudes.

I've never done the pokemon thing before and I'm currently playing pokemon X, if I use the wondertrade feature that can trade with anybody for anygame so I may get pokemons that aren't in my games natural pokedex? And if I want to get particular things like alakazam or something that requires trading to get (that IS in the pokedex and thus must be captured because completionism), then my only hope is to just keep pulling on the wondertrade or actually find somebody who has what I need or something?

The feature you want is the GTS. Wonder Trade is a roulette sort of thing where people put in a Pokemon and trade partners are chosen randomly. You can get some good stuff that way, or you can get early route trash. It's best not to rely on it and just use it as a way to offload Pokemon you don't want without releasing them.

GTS is different. You can put a Pokemon on offer and ask for any Pokemon in return- even ones you haven't seen in your Pokedex. If you want one you haven't seen, scroll to the very bottom of the list and type in the Pokemon's name. Always use the Deposit feature. Never Seek. Seek will be full of people asking for rare legendaries in return for anything and everything, because the halfway reasonable trades get snapped up fairly quickly, leaving the dumb ones behind.

Item evolutions are trickier. What you can do is put the Pokemon holding its evolution item on offer, and ask for the evolved form in return.

Your other alternative is to just ask folks here (or in the IRC/Discord) for what you want. Most of us will give you just about anything you want in exchange for literal or figurative trash.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alxprit posted:

I don't need anyone to tell me to love Chikorita, I love her already.

Well then...ummmm...watch that LP.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Falcon posted:

Item evolutions are trickier. What you can do is put the Pokemon holding its evolution item on offer, and ask for the evolved form in return.

Your other alternative is to just ask folks here (or in the IRC/Discord) for what you want. Most of us will give you just about anything you want in exchange for literal or figurative trash.
It's also way easier to do trade and item evolutions with other goons, because you can publicly shame them if they steal your cool strong evolved friend :colbert:

(I have literally never heard of anyone getting their Alakazam or whatever stolen like that but the mental image was funny to me so I had to say it)

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

JackDarko posted:

Watching/Listening to it now, thank you! This guy is hilarious he reminds me of Conan O'Brien.

watch monster factory while you're there

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

when_that_kush_hits_you.png

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can't have more than one status effect right? If you are burned and use rest does it fail or just cure the burn?

If you're sleeping and hold a burn orb does it wake you up?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Silver Falcon posted:

GTS is different. You can put a Pokemon on offer and ask for any Pokemon in return- even ones you haven't seen in your Pokedex. If you want one you haven't seen, scroll to the very bottom of the list and type in the Pokemon's name. Always use the Deposit feature. Never Seek. Seek will be full of people asking for rare legendaries in return for anything and everything, because the halfway reasonable trades get snapped up fairly quickly, leaving the dumb ones behind.

You can exclude legendaries and such from the results before searching. But the non-legendary dumb stuff will be island scan mons and item-trade-evolved mons, like Politoed and Porygon2. You can further narrow it down within search results by making it show only people asking for Pokemon you currently have in your party and PC boxes.

"Never Seek" is still good general advice, especially if you just want a dex filler and you don't care about fancy pokeballs or anything. But it sure feels cool to roll up to GTS and pick out a Friend Ball Chikorita like "Yeah I wasn't using this Slowking for anything." :c00lbert:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

greatn posted:

You can't have more than one status effect right? If you are burned and use rest does it fail or just cure the burn?

Using Rest overrides a status to heal you and induce you into Sleep. But after a few turns, you'll wake up and the Flame Orb will activate, burning you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

greatn posted:

It cures the burn. Status orbs only activate if you don't have a status already, which is why it's The Good poo poo to hit a Gliscor with a Will O' Wisp on the switch in.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I started a Wonderlocke of Alpha Sapphire months ago (in French, too, because why not?), partly to get AS version-exclusive legendaries. I picked it back up over the weekend after finishing my Alola Dex. I thought I would share how it's been going.

When I first started out, I got some pretty good stuff! Got a Hidden Ability Eevee with Hyper Voice, which I promptly evolved into a Sylveon. The Combusken I had in my party when I picked the game up after not touching it for months, which I thought was just my starter is... not. It has Speed Boost, and Baton Pass. Well, Wonder Trade, if you're going to give me this kind of broken poo poo, I'm certainly not going to complain! The rest of my party at the moment consists of Ludicolo, Sneasel, Altaria, and Lantern.

I just got to Lillycove and got a Mega Stone for my Altaria. She already has Hyper Voice. :getin: She's my adorable cotton ball dragon and I love her.

My only casualty so far was my Umbreon, who fell to an unfortunate Revenge crit in the Attack room of Norman's gym. RIP.

One interesting thing is, since I picked the game back up, I have gotten utter crap off Wonder Trade, nothing at all like the decent-to-broken stuff I got when I first started. This is likely because people are playing Sun and Moon instead, but it's interesting. If I had been getting stuff this dismal from the beginning, I'd be upset, but the team I've got can easily carry me through the rest of the game if all goes well. Oh, and I've had the EXP Share turned off the whole time, of course. Leaving it on would utterly ruin the challenge.

All in all, it's been fun! Makes me want to try a Wonderlocke of Moon one of these days.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's also way easier to do trade and item evolutions with other goons, because you can publicly shame them if they steal your cool strong evolved friend :colbert:

(I have literally never heard of anyone getting their Alakazam or whatever stolen like that but the mental image was funny to me so I had to say it)

I'll just join the discord then and bug goons for the trade requiring pokemons when I get to that point of the collectathon. I bought alpha saphire and sun with some christmas cash so I'll be on a pokemon bender for probably longer than I should.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I made an (early) new years resolution to nuzlocke every generation, and i just finished up with pokemon Yellow. Is it cheating to just go all in with an exceptionally swole nidoking? Because after losing like 20 good boys i just said gently caress it and he finished the game at level 76

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

It cures the burn. Status orbs only activate if you don't have a status already, which is why it's The Good poo poo to hit a Gliscor with a Will O' Wisp on the switch in.

i have knocked a toxic orb out of a gliscor's filthy claws on the switch in, which also felt good.

hey guys dont switch your awful gliscor into [extremely long list of pokemon that can feasibly use knock off]

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

will-o-wisp on the gliscor switch into 2nd turn forfeit is what pokemon is all about

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I had no idea there were people out there who like Vanilluxe.

i've loved it since i first saw all the gen 5 released pokemon before launch :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PenguinKnight posted:

i've loved it since i first saw all the gen 5 released pokemon before launch :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMNK-bLEa90

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ruggington posted:

will-o-wisp on the gliscor switch into 2nd turn forfeit is what pokemon is all about

Just hook it to my veins!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My current Pokemon Sun team is composed of Ribombee, Decidueye, Hariyama, Dugtrio (Alolan Form), Golem (Alolan Form), and Slowpoke. I'm really happy with it, but I'm going to have to retire Slowpoke for a while. Maaaaarrrrrk is destined to be a Slowking, and that won't happen for a while. I don't want to risk accidentally letting him become a Slowbro every time he levels up, but giving him an Everstone means taking away his Quick Claw.

So, I need a new Pokemon to replace him, with an emphasis on good type coverage. There are a bunch of other water/psychics, but I wanted a change. My first thought was Gyarados, but it turns out it only learns one Flying-Type move, and is incompatible with every Flying TM. So, any suggestions for the new recruit? I'm up to route 16 on Ula'Ula Island.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 20, 2016

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Ariong posted:

My current Pokemon Sun team is composed of Ribombee, Decidueye, Hariyama, Dugtrio, Golem (Alolan Form), and Slowpoke. I'm really happy with it, but I'm going to have to retire Slowpoke for a while. Maaaaarrrrrk is destined to be a Slowking, and that won't happen for a while. I don't want to risk accidentally letting him become a Slowbro every time he levels up, but giving him an Everstone means taking away his Quick Claw.

So, I need a new Pokemon to replace him, with an emphasis on good type coverage. There are a bunch of other water/psychics, but I wanted a change. My first thought was Gyarados, but it turns out it only learns one Flying-Type move, and is incompatible with every Flying TM. So, any suggestions for the new recruit? I'm up to route 16 on Ula'Ula Island.

don't you have access to bruxish? its a pretty neat pokemon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Use Gyarados and give it Flyinium Z or w/e it's called, odds are you wont need to use more than one flying attack per fight anyway

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

My current Pokemon Sun team is composed of Ribombee, Decidueye, Hariyama, Dugtrio, Golem (Alolan Form), and Slowpoke. I'm really happy with it, but I'm going to have to retire Slowpoke for a while. Maaaaarrrrrk is destined to be a Slowking, and that won't happen for a while. I don't want to risk accidentally letting him become a Slowbro every time he levels up, but giving him an Everstone means taking away his Quick Claw.

Gyarados's coverage is actually pretty good if you ignore that he can't use any flying move effectively aside from Bounce.

My strong recommendation is Sharpedo although you have to teach it its strongest water moves, since the only water move it learns by leveling up is aqua jet.

Sharpedo's move pool is pretty crazy though. Earthquake, Poison Fang (ok at 50 bp this one's a bit of a stretch), Ice Fang, Crunch, Rock Tomb, Waterfall :getin:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 20, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Eox posted:

I made an (early) new years resolution to nuzlocke every generation, and i just finished up with pokemon Yellow. Is it cheating to just go all in with an exceptionally swole nidoking? Because after losing like 20 good boys i just said gently caress it and he finished the game at level 76

thats how you speed-run the game

nidoking is an unstoppable behemoth in yellow

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
There's some goons out there who would recommend Lanturn or Whiscash I think. They are also meritworthy and neat.

Obviously if you use a Whiscash, it must hold an amulet coin.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

Use Gyarados and give it Flyinium Z or w/e it's called, odds are you wont need to use more than one flying attack per fight anyway

This is a very good idea

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Ariong posted:

I vote Dragonite because half your team is weak to Fire or Flying, and Dragonite resists Fire and can Earthquake the former and Thunder Punch the latter. Or Stone Edge I guess.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I vote Dragonite because half your team is weak to Fire or Flying, and Dragonite resists Fire and can Earthquake the former and Thunder Punch the latter. Or Stone Edge I guess.

They are only on route 16 atm. Not sure any dragon types have shown up outside of trading. I've also been using Vullaby, but if you have sun, you won't have access to her. Vullaby with eviolite makes her pretty bulky- and she has access to roost and nasty plot so that's pretty cool.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Just put a Kadabra on the GTS, asking for a Kadabra in return, and you'll have an Alakazam in like 5 minutes.

I need to do this sometime tomorrow.

It's been a while since I played a Pokemon. Is there any benefit to holding off an evolution if I'm not looking for a specific move?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cancerianmoth posted:

They are only on route 16 atm. Not sure any dragon types have shown up outside of trading.

Turtonator is on route 12 (same island as 16), so Ariong could catch that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Before fighting Nanu: I'm fine, like 4 of my Pokemon have hard counters to Dark.
During fighting Nanu: gently caress SABLEYE gently caress Z MOVE AAAA

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

cancerianmoth posted:

don't you have access to bruxish? its a pretty neat pokemon.

Maybe, but like I said, I'd like something other than water/psychic. Otherwise I'd get a Starmie. Now that's a cool poke.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Looks like that won't be available until the next island. In any case, I haven't had any trouble with Flying types ever since my Golem, Geodudette, joined the team.

Zoness posted:

There's some goons out there who would recommend Lanturn or Whiscash I think. They are also meritworthy and neat.

Obviously if you use a Whiscash, it must hold an amulet coin.

I already have Electric covered with Golem. Ground doubly so, because Dugtrio currently only knows Ground-type moves. Turns out Alolan Dugtrio don't learn a lot of Steel-Type moves (not that there are a lot to learn), but I'll get to the Move Relearner soon for Metal Claw.

less laughter posted:

Turtonator is on route 12 (same island as 16), so Ariong could catch that.

Now there's an idea. Then I would have more than one thing for bug types. I'm a little concerned about its learnset, but I suppose as long as it learns one good dragon move that's good enough.

Zoness posted:

Gyarados's coverage is actually pretty good if you ignore that he can't use any flying move effectively aside from Bounce.

My strong recommendation is Sharpedo although you have to teach it its strongest water moves, since the only water move it learns by leveling up is aqua jet.

Sharpedo's move pool is pretty crazy though. Earthquake, Poison Fang (ok at 50 bp this one's a bit of a stretch), Ice Fang, Crunch, Rock Tomb, Waterfall :getin:

Sharpedo won't be available until the next island, but Gyarados could be worth another look. You have a point about the one flying type move, although now I'm confused. The bulbapedia page for Gyarados says the only flying type move it can ever learn is Hurricane, but the page for Bounce says Gyarados can learn it via tutoring. I've never used the Move Tutor before, so I wouldn't know.

Anyway, Gyarados can also learn Dark, Dragon, and Ice type moves, so I'm leaning toward that. are there any downsides to Gyarados that I'm overlooking?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

cancerianmoth posted:

They are only on route 16 atm. Not sure any dragon types have shown up outside of trading. I've also been using Vullaby, but if you have sun, you won't have access to her. Vullaby with eviolite makes her pretty bulky- and she has access to roost and nasty plot so that's pretty cool.

Any goon with a computer is free to hop onto the Discord. I'm sure plenty of people there have Dratini to trade, and may even level it up a bit to help catch up. But if they are doing a straight playthrough with no trading then I dunno, Turtonator or Salazzle? I'm too lazy to cross-reference encounter tables to see if they can get those yet.

EDIT: When does Lycanroc get its rock priority move? That would probably work fine the whole game. Or Mudsdale, though I can't remember when you get the rock move TMs. It does learn Rock Slide at least, right?

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 20, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fashion update!

The deserts of Poni Island call for some practical desert clothes.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Ariong posted:

Maybe, but like I said, I'd like something other than water/psychic. Otherwise I'd get a Starmie. Now that's a cool poke.

Looks like that won't be available until the next island. In any case, I haven't had any trouble with Flying types ever since my Golem, Geodudette, joined the team.

I already have Electric covered with Golem. Ground doubly so, because Dugtrio currently only knows Ground-type moves. Turns out Alolan Dugtrio don't learn a lot of Steel-Type moves (not that there are a lot to learn), but I'll get to the Move Relearner soon for Metal Claw.

Now there's an idea. Then I would have more than one thing for bug types. I'm a little concerned about its learnset, but I suppose as long as it learns one good dragon move that's good enough.

Sharpedo won't be available until the next island, but Gyarados could be worth another look. You have a point about the one flying type move, although now I'm confused. The bulbapedia page for Gyarados says the only flying type move it can ever learn is Hurricane, but the page for Bounce says Gyarados can learn it via tutoring. I've never used the Move Tutor before, so I wouldn't know.

Anyway, Gyarados can also learn Dark, Dragon, and Ice type moves, so I'm leaning toward that. are there any downsides to Gyarados that I'm overlooking?

correct- bounce is a transfer only move (the move tutor in ORAS can teach it) so it'll be available to you after Bank goes live for SUMO. Double weakness to electric is its main downside but they should be easy to predict and switch out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I should feel bad about this but I don't :frog:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-501321396