Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

If only somebody had purchased an avatar preserving the memory of that hair inmemorium and people didn't ruin that by replacing it with a picture of a dried out fetus on steroids.

If only somebody didn't act like someone worthy of that avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Without that beautiful mane I'm not sure he's the most beautiful F1 driver and so might not get the MWDC next year

I don't think the WDC can win the MWDC,

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

"Become"?
"This generation's"?

What a load of poo poo. The only people who haven't admitted that he's the goat (greatest of all time) are jealous manbabies, bitter racists and Alonso fans.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

wicka posted:

Remember when Alonso signed with McLaren in 2007 and Ron made him cut his hair? Remember how good that car was?

came here to post this

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

"Become"?
"This generation's"?

What a load of poo poo. The only people who haven't admitted that he's the goat (greatest of all time) are jealous manbabies, bitter racists and Alonso fans.

And also he's not.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Lewis is like Senna, he's insanely fast but he's also very very flawed as a driver. I wouldn't call either the greatest driver of that generation.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He's no Pastor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

... why did he cut his hair?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY :qq:

Mercedes wants a clean cut driver, not a dirty hippy.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Last time Fernando was clean cut, he got beat by his rookie teammate at McLaren.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren have shorn Samson's mane and used it to make their fiberglass.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

should have won person of the year, that jury is a joke

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

1500quidporsche posted:

Lewis is like Senna, he's insanely fast but he's also very very flawed as a driver. I wouldn't call either the greatest driver of that generation.

He's nowhere near as good as Senna, and I don't like Senna. He's more like Nigel but with better luck with his cars.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think the WDC can win the MWDC,
But Are Rossie just did

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

You'll find that Are Rossie is just the WDC this year and Keke is the MWDC

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
In the 80s a driver could have a season like this

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Hefe posted:

In 2015, a driver could have a season like this

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Powershift posted:

In 2015, a driver could have a season like this

yeah but that Lotus was obviously a poo poo car that's not the point I'm making

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

El Hefe posted:

In the 80s the whole field could have seasons like this:

t is for retiring after 90% of race distance

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact: Andrea De Cesaris never actually made it to the flag in 1987.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

Hell, Berger never finished off the podium!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Lol Capito out of a job after 16 weeks, nando with no hair, some guy named Streudel or Waffles or something, no more Big Ron (bad though he was) as the glue to hold it together...

Sorry, McHonda gonna be a bad team next year

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oDFBRHOVPc

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

El Hefe posted:

I think engineering has advanced to a point where there's nothing we can do to go back to something like this, but this is the one thing that would make races better and more interesting. Nobody would complain about the Mercedes having a big advantage if it broke down 60% of the time.

As it stands they only have mechanical retirements when the powers that be are not happy with the WDC standings

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mechanical unreliability is a bad thing and not entertaining in the slightest.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Mechanical unreliability helps us judge a driver's character. It's what separates the WDCs from the MWDCs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Fun fact: Andrea De Cesaris never actually made it to the flag in 1987.

Belgium? :confused:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He ran out of fuel on the last lap.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Mechanical unreliability is a bad thing and not entertaining in the slightest.

It's very entertaining.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's very entertaining.

It's literally the worst and I would rather F1 cease to exist than go back to that god awful era where cars just exploded for no reason. It's exactly as idiotic as Bernie suggesting we put sprinkers on the track or reverse the grid. It makes things more interesting but at the cost of undermining the entire point of having a competition.

If you wanted to watch people roll dice you could just do that instead of watching motor racing.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Modern F1 is way better because Mercedes has engineered a pair of dice that has 6s or 1s on all the faces

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dice rolling usually doesn't have a 45 minute buildup and result in smoke and fire or somebody crashing out.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

poty posted:

I think engineering has advanced to a point where there's nothing we can do to go back to something like this, but this is the one thing that would make races better and more interesting. Nobody would complain about the Mercedes having a big advantage if it broke down 60% of the time.

As it stands they only have mechanical retirements when the powers that be are not happy with the WDC standings

It's true. Your never going to get races where like less than 10 cars finish again.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

It's literally the worst and I would rather F1 cease to exist than go back to that god awful era where cars just exploded for no reason. It's exactly as idiotic as Bernie suggesting we put sprinkers on the track or reverse the grid. It makes things more interesting but at the cost of undermining the entire point of having a competition.

If you wanted to watch people roll dice you could just do that instead of watching motor racing.

How is building a car that lasts race distance (while the others fail to do so) "undermine the entire point of competition"? Look at the Honda powered cars in '87 for example. The reason they did so well is in part to being far more reliable than the other turbos.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Dice rolling usually doesn't have a 45 minute buildup and result in smoke and fire or somebody crashing out.

Buddy, you're going to the wrong dice rolls.

Human Grand Prix posted:

How is building a car that lasts race distance (while the others fail to do so) "undermine the entire point of competition"? Look at the Honda powered cars in '87 for example. The reason they did so well is in part to being far more reliable than the other turbos.

What? The suggestion was that cars grenading all the time is somehow entertaining.

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 20, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

What? The suggestion was that cars grenading all the time is somehow entertaining.

How is Mansell's tire blowing up along with his championship in 86 not entertaining?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

How is Mansell's tire blowing up along with his championship in 86 not entertaining?

Because it's just random. It's entertaining when drivers fail on their own, not when they are the victims of poo poo entirely out of their control. Button's win in Canada, for example, wouldn't have been anywhere near as sweet if Vettel hadn't hosed up under pressure. What if Vettel's engine just lets go there? Takes all the shine off that performance.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

It's a team effort though including the tires, engine and chassis. poo poo just doesn't blow up randomly, there's either a flaw in the design process or they compromised the design for sake of speed. If a car is horribly unreliable throughout the season that means somebody somewhere got it wrong.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

It's a team effort though including the tires, engine and chassis. poo poo just doesn't blow up randomly, there's either a flaw in the design process or they compromised the design for sake of speed. If a car is horribly unreliable throughout the season that means somebody somewhere got it wrong.

So you think Mansell's success should be dictated by Goodyear? And even though half the field used Goodyear tires that year, including Prost, somehow it's good and fair to Mansell that he was the victim of this failure and not anyone else?

No, F1 is not a pure meritocracy, and poo poo like this will always happen. But it is not a goal. It's something we work to get rid of because it ruins races.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Mansell's engines/tyres/gearboxes always failed because he ragged the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I'm Crap posted:

Mansell's engines/tyres/gearboxes always failed because he ragged the poo poo out of them.

• Locked thread