Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

dokmo posted:

I'm glad we went through this soul searching discussion about Kevin Love because it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately: the way we remember our predictions when we get them right and forget about the uncertainty we faced when making them. I'm looking through my predraft notes and I'm embarrassed by how low my success rate is. It may be helpful to have a prediction contest the next time a big trade happens so we can look back later and see exactly what we thought at the time and be humbled by how wrong we were (or gloat about how right we were). This would be different than just predicting wins or who makes the playoffs because there would be greater uncertainty, the main thing people forget.

dokmo, I'm with you there 100% which is why I never post in prediction threads and always tell people to laugh at my history of bad NBA draft takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I mean that's kind of a normal part of being a GM isn't it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

straight up brolic posted:

man you are the type of people that tried to get frequency vibrations out of the league for associating with Vic van lier

chunkles posted:

All-Star picks, brought to you by the people who didn't think James Harden was third team all-NBA.

One time I made Mario hezonja so good he averaged 29/5/6 and shot 48% from 3 and 97% from the line for a full season and he didn't make an all NBA team. I bet it was cause old American men were calling him a gay euro and saying he had family ties to the udba (preotectors of brave Yugoslav people from filthy internal enemies like ignorant Serb nationalist fascists, not an evil gang like America has!)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

thank you I have been keeping a casual eye on him cause I'm a Fantasy Freak and this way I don't have to watch Mavs games

Unless you're playing in a league where every week matters, I'd wait to see what his minutes and production are like when Dirk gets back.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chunkles posted:

Clint Capela may have a broken fibula. Way to go KAT :mad:

he probably deserved it

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i like how like the day after it was brought up sabonis gets no respect by the refs in this thread thunder twitter is all mad about it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

You'd be surprised at how many athletes have gang ties either through friends or from where they grew up. That being said "gang ties" are overblown to begin with and usually not that big of a deal

At worst Cousins doesn't wear blue and has a gamertag involving the word "Bousins"

If one has a diverse group of friends and go to public school in most places in southern CA they have "ties" by some of the definitions the media stretches to.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

Unless you're playing in a league where every week matters, I'd wait to see what his minutes and production are like when Dirk gets back.

Always
Be
sCouting my friend
Have to look closely at the upcoming crop of boys your future depends upon it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bulls are the weirdest team in the nba

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Metapod posted:

i like how like the day after it was brought up sabonis gets no respect by the refs in this thread thunder twitter is all mad about it

I didn't see it in this thread but :lol: at the idea of any rookie getting respect from the refs.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what the gently caress is wrong with the pistons

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

SVG the coach can't outrun SVG the GM

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chunkles posted:

SVG the coach can't outrun SVG the GM

i'll have you know prize offseason acquisition BOBAN has entered the game

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

between udrih, baynes, and boban, the pistons can throw out a District B13 Villains lineup

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Cool Buff Man posted:

He looks exactly like Roseanne's fat son

this checks out

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

good grief, beno

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Old White Dudes in Sacramento media just have it out for Boogie. Noted moron Marcos Breton wrote an entire article about Barnes, Boogie and Gay drinking Hennessy on Instagram after the cancelled 76ers game. Breton pointed out that you don't need to show the world your drinking habits and what about the kids and blah blah blah. The third or fourth picture on Bretons Twitter at that time was of a beer he was drinking.

instead of the common worker, automatons should replace sport journos imo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

Reggie Jackson

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

3 alphas are back!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
With Clint Capela out for 6 weeks, here's a chance for you to do some forecasting in an environment of uncertainty. With Capela in the starting lineup, the Rockets have had the #4 offense (adjusted for opponent—see http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017_ratings.html), based on being probably the best pick and roll attack in the league. They are ranked #16 defense overall, with a decent pick and roll defense. Over the next six weeks, their opponents will average 107.0 ORTG, which is the 6th easiest, and their opponents will average 107.4 DRTG, which is the 4th hardest. They will play 11 games at home and 13 games on the road. Without their primary pick and roll big, what do you think will happen to the Rockets offense while playing against the 4th toughest schedule of defenses over that span? And without their only rim protector, what do you think will happen to their defense while playing against the 6th worst combined offenses over that span?

I predict that the Rockets offense will be ranked between #6-#8 on January 31. I predict that their defense will fall apart, and drop to between #20-#24.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

That's pretty much my prognosis. They can compensate for Capela being out offensively with all sorts of wacky small ball poo poo, as well as Nene as long as he remains healthy. They don't really have any bigs past that who can be trusted defensively. I wonder if they toss in Onuaku for a bit.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I forgot to post this the other day

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

dokmo posted:

With Clint Capela out for 6 weeks, here's a chance for you to do some forecasting in an environment of uncertainty. With Capela in the starting lineup, the Rockets have had the #4 offense (adjusted for opponent—see http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017_ratings.html), based on being probably the best pick and roll attack in the league. They are ranked #16 defense overall, with a decent pick and roll defense. Over the next six weeks, their opponents will average 107.0 ORTG, which is the 6th easiest, and their opponents will average 107.4 DRTG, which is the 4th hardest. They will play 11 games at home and 13 games on the road. Without their primary pick and roll big, what do you think will happen to the Rockets offense while playing against the 4th toughest schedule of defenses over that span? And without their only rim protector, what do you think will happen to their defense while playing against the 6th worst combined offenses over that span?

I predict that the Rockets offense will be ranked between #6-#8 on January 31. I predict that their defense will fall apart, and drop to between #20-#24.

Trade for Taj Gibson

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

EvanTH posted:

Always
Be
sCouting my friend
Have to look closely at the upcoming crop of boys your future depends upon it

I love to watch a new generation of genetically gifted sons rise up each year, les enfants terrible

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

I agree. I'll put their record in this span to something to the tune of .500 during this run. I think Capela has been helping them paper over some big holes, and a regression was probably due anyhow.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jokic is a beast

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BBR has Harden at ~50% chance of winning MVP this year. They must not be aware of the 1 or 2 seed rule of the last thirty years.

chunkles posted:

Remember when Chris Copeland apologized for getting stabbed outside a nightclub at 3AM

I forgot about that: https://youtu.be/dYJisbg-OEU?t=16s

The guy who stabbed Copeland was going to get off with spending one month of just weekends in jail. But he was rearrested for ID theft and got sixty days recently. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/man-stabbed-chris-copeland-60-days-jail-probation-article-1.2782221

Remember when Dick Cheney shot a guy in the face with a shotgun and then that guy shot in the face went on TV and apologized to Dick Cheney from his hospital bed?

Self-promotion 101.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

That's pretty much my prognosis. They can compensate for Capela being out offensively with all sorts of wacky small ball poo poo, as well as Nene as long as he remains healthy. They don't really have any bigs past that who can be trusted defensively. I wonder if they toss in Onuaku for a bit.

Maybe you, too, can have the Ryno-at-center experience!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Jokic is a beast

I'm really glad Mike Malone remembered that Nikola Jokic is better than Nurkic. My boy needs his confidence back

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zogo posted:

BBR has Harden at ~50% chance of winning MVP this year. They must not be aware of the 1 or 2 seed rule of the last thirty years.
Rockets are currently only 1.5 games behind the Spurs and with a better SRS, so not impossible they haven't factored that in.

I also think the top 1-2 seed model topples a bit if the Rockets actually win 60+ games, even if they are still behind GS and SA.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chunkles posted:

Clint Capela may have a broken fibula. Way to go KAT :mad:

gently caress

I wonder what Nerlens would cost

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Intruder posted:

I wonder what Nerlens would cost

It'd suck to trade for a malcontent like Nerlens and have his bad attitude mess up all the good vibes this team has going.

Besides Ryan Anderson at center will be fine...I mean not really, but that's what I'm telling myself.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Houston, can I interest you in one Papa John

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Mavs are trying to move on from Bogut right? :v:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
JOKIC WENT DUMB STUPID TONIGHT LMAO

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is quite the postgame interview.

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsDet/status/811050374668775424

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

JOKIC WENT DUMB STUPID TONIGHT LMAO

https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/811074334101905408

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

All of them because the Blazers were playing bad defense even by their own terrible standards that night. Like I watched the entire first half and identified maybe 3 possessions where they even played defense at all.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
With Capela out, I look forward to the game where the Rockets attempt 60 3s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm really glad Mike Malone remembered that Nikola Jokic is better than Nurkic. My boy needs his confidence back

Zach Lowe told this story on his podcast once how Malone basically said, "Don't expect Jokic to be the guy he was last year because when everyone's healthy he can't be", and it was so loving weird. Jokic is your best big man, so you don't play him because worse players are available? What?

edit:

quote:

Lee Winfield’s teammates can still remember him coming to their homes in his Volkswagen van. It was the signal of the start of another trip for the Buffalo Braves in the early 1970s, back when N.B.A. players flew with the general public, washed their own uniforms and endured bone-crushing schedules.

Before the Braves hit the road, Winfield, a point guard, would traverse the city to collect teammates as he drove to the airport. The Braves often flew Allegheny Airlines, a regional carrier that the players referred to as “Agony Airlines.” They folded their large frames into coach seats, which was the only option since there was no first class.

And getting out of Buffalo was the easy part of a road trip.

“By the third game in the third night in the third city, you wouldn’t even know what the score was,” Kenny Charles, a shooting guard, said in a telephone interview.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/18/sports/basketball/nba-schedule-contract.html

• Locked thread