Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

wip dead Chicago rappers in Ginyu Force armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Moanasona? At least it rhymes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

My favorite* tumblr fanart thing is when artists draw the characters so...diversely that it takes you a couple minutes to figure out who the hell it's supposed to be. You know, because fanart isn't cool unless you're being relentlessly progressive and you don't get those tumblr points unless you make the entire cast of your favorite media a different race and gender than what they normally are.

I've got to say vitiligo is a new one for me. That must be an advanced tumblr technique.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Wait are these supposed to be characters from something?

Left to right is Kanaya Maryam, Jade Harley, Rose Lalonde. It's less of a tumblr thing and more a Homestuck thing, though Homestuck infected everything for a while back. You can always tell because Hussie gives the characters a few specific design elements that generally stick with them even in weird tumblr rebranding fan arts.

It's pretty stupid really, Hussie originally designed the four kids as being white and didn't put any further thought into it but since it had lots of unique snowflake characters, tumblr took it and ran, resulting in him saying down the line that the kids are represented as aracial in comic in order to appeal to the vocal chunk of his audience. That eventually resulted in its own shitstorm of nonsense with horrible designs, rare good designs, and lots of mocking. Basically the term "headcanon" popped here as a way of saying "I like this thing but I prefer it more this way instead."

I mean, reimaginings worked if you knew what you were doing:

But generally you didn't:

Granted, most of this stuff was generally just taking European features and painting them a darker shade anyway because like I said, most artists on tumblr suck.

The shitstorm hit peak though when Hussie got sick of fan poo poo and officially declared one of the characters white in the comic as a spite move.

And there was able five hundred more pages and two years until the thing finally ended and died.

Ramos has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Dec 20, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Bluemillion posted:

I haven't seen Moana but I know enough about Hawaiian pronunciation to know that probably doesn't rhyme

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Bluemillion posted:

It's human versions of the final evolutions of the starters from Pokemon Sun/Moon (which takes place in Poke-Hawaii).

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

This is what the character looks like in the comic:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I don't know who this is, but I like it.

If I use it as D&D character art, am I going to accidentally look like a sex pervert?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nah, just a sexless pervert

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Bluemillion posted:

Pokemon starters.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Sentient Data posted:

Nah, just a sexless pervert

So no change there. Good to know.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_1OVpGQ_2s

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I laughed at the goddamn lagiacrus

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Clawtopsy posted:

This is what the character looks like in the comic:

Ok so the character's few defining features are:
-Pale gray skin
-No arms
-Droopy tired eyes with bags
-Small, widely spaced horns
-Overbite
-69 shirt

Fanart includes:
-69 shirt

I just realized all these tumblr interpretations have really chunky heavy-featured faces. Between that and all being fat, they have certainly cornered the 'unattractive' market.

Bismuth has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Dec 20, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Ramos posted:

Granted, most of this stuff was generally just taking European features and painting them a darker shade anyway because like I said, most artists on tumblr suck.

The shitstorm hit peak though when Hussie got sick of fan poo poo and officially declared one of the characters white in the comic as a spite move.

The author used to be much more... Straightforward with his responses to questions.

Bismuth posted:

Ok so the character's few defining features are:
-No arms

In fairness, it's more a quirk, and running gag of the in-comic style. Here he is slightly later, with arms:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Neither Homestuck nor its fandom invented the term headcannon.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

headcanon is basically death of the author but somehow even worse

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Bismuth posted:

-69 shirt

That post gave me cancer.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

I think my favorite thing about the first pic is that it most likely isn't saying that ironically. My favorite thing about the second one is that it kinda shows that the artists reason for having Dave be black is actually to brag about how they have a more unique headcanon than anyone else.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I love you Gunther, you little crossbred Dolphin hybrid

Also loved those Hussie q and as

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bismuth posted:

Fanart includes:
-69 shirt

I just realized all these tumblr interpretations have really chunky heavy-featured faces. Between that and all being fat, they have certainly cornered the 'unattractive' market.

also the 69 shirt is the wrong colour so it's even less accurate to the actual character

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elfface posted:

I don't know who this is, but I like it.

If I use it as D&D character art, am I going to accidentally look like a sex pervert?

It's a League of Legends character (Vi) wearing a different skin.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Ahem, "rusty metal skull gun"
:goonsay:

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

ftr, here is how the characters appear in the comic, left to right:

Kanaya Maryam, Jade Harley, and Rose Lalonde:

Clawtopsy has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Dec 20, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was not something I ever expected to see. Good job thread.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lot of serious opinions about Homestuck fanart going on

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Two of those three homestucks:

grimharlequin posted:

more people should draw the trolls looking like weird alien insect people because thats what they literally are??

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Abyssal Squid posted:

Two of those three homestucks:

Totally would

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As someone with a distant relationship to Homestuck I'm mostly upset by the goatee on the middle one. I can understand adding details like skin tone/ethnicity because whatever the art style makes everyone look like generic, colorless shapes so whatever. That middle one has no facial hair and I call bullshit on adding it. The artist just wanted to draw a goateed, flannel wearing catgirl and had to call it Homestuck to get Tumblr cred. Just draw your own drat OC and get it over with!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
second and third have huge versions, remove the L at the end of the filename to see'em

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Can we just get more of Hussie trolling his incredibly, intensely fat fan base because that's as close as I'm coming to touching this comic

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The only thing related to Homestuck that is worse than Homestuck itself is the people who like Homestuck.

Of all things related to Homestuck, Hussie is the best.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What about Homestuck makes its fandom so bad? Like no bad fandom ever grows in a vacuum, there's always something about it that nurtures that seed of negativity until it sprouts. It's weird to me to see a guy so clearly disdain the audience of his creation but keep going through with it. Who was Undertale even for?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bland featureless characters who were "moulded" by the fans.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Are homestuck fans like sonic fans except not homeschooled or something?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Old Hussie was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Foxhound posted:

Are homestuck fans like sonic fans except not homeschooled or something?

I'm pretty sure that if you took a cross-section, you'd find the overlap between Sonic fans, Homestuck fans, bronies, and Steven Universe fans is almost 100%.

Something about the canons just lures in that sort of person. Probably has something to do with an underlying message of accepting special snowflakes, no matter how horrid they are.

• Locked thread