Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Harrison Ford is in this too, which makes me even more upset because I originally thought he wasn't going to be in this which would have soften the blow. How is Harrison Ford even still alive?

Also, you know who is a much better actor than Harrison Ford and wouldn't ruin the ending of the first movie by coming back in the sequel? Edward James Olmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is weird to me that Age of Empires II which technically came out 17 years ago is still getting new expansions, albeit for the HD rerelease. Gotta say I still love the game's art direction, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bloodychill posted:

I wish instead it was another Judge Dredd movie from the Dredd people. That movie was just a lot of fun. The team wanted to make another but last I heard they were having trouble getting funding.

When it first came out I was down on it for basically being The Raid but worse, but in retrospect its a pretty great sci-fi action movie and I'd love to see them do another. Karl Urban nails it as Dredd.

Although I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes the Stallone Judge Dredd movie too. :shobon:

I said come in! posted:

Harrison Ford is in this too, which makes me even more upset because I originally thought he wasn't going to be in this which would have soften the blow. How is Harrison Ford even still alive?

Harrison Ford can basically do anything he wants as far as I care, because he was in so many loving awesome iconic roles, but man is he trying to ruin his legacy lately... needs to just kinda let it go. I'm worried about him being in the new Blade Runner, even in that movie it just seems like he's the same weirdo old-dad Harrison Ford from Star Wars; he's too iconic so you can't look at him as a just a character, he's always Harrison Ford now, and he's not as good as he used to be. Not that I'm holding that against him, but... yeah.

chumbler posted:

It is weird to me that Age of Empires II which technically came out 17 years ago is still getting new expansions, albeit for the HD rerelease. Gotta say I still love the game's art direction, though.

AoE 2 rules and the new expansions are super cool and more people need to post about them. There's an AoE thread and its a loving ghost town :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

The ace attorney movie kicks rear end

As does the YAkuza movie

Also we just got back from ROGUE ONE and our hot take is that it's literally the best Star Wars movie, not even kidding

edit: VVVV this is true!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Can confirm the Karl Urban Dredd is super good

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8xNFiZioWY&t=5m11s

Every year I take a moment to appreciate one of the greatest Christmas miracles in recent memory.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Harrison Ford wants to get paid, and with a name like his, he can absolutely do that, so he does

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He never needs to work another day in his life and I don't know that he wants to since he's looked bored as gently caress in every movie since at least The Crystal Skull

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harrison Ford is eliminating all of his characters one by one to obtain godlike power like in The One.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Umm isn't Deckard supposed to be dead because he's a replicant?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rexroom posted:

Umm isn't Deckard supposed to be dead because he's a replicant?

[Citation needed]

But yeah a direct sequel to Bladerunner will ruin a lot of the mystique the first film has.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blade Runner's one of the few movies where I'd prefer a remake. It's not like the original doesn't have problems that a talented film-maker couldn't work on.

bloodychill posted:

I wish instead it was another Judge Dredd movie from the Dredd people. That movie was just a lot of fun. The team wanted to make another but last I heard they were having trouble getting funding.

That's because Dredd was a financial flop.

Snak posted:

Also, you know who is a much better actor than Harrison Ford and wouldn't ruin the ending of the first movie by coming back in the sequel? Edward James Olmos.

They should give Rutger Hauer a part in it, since he's totally unrecognizable nowadays.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 20, 2016

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Blade Runner's one of the few movies where I'd prefer a remake. It's not like the original doesn't have problems that a talented film-maker couldn't work on.

What the heck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

VideoGames posted:

What the heck.

Don't get me wrong, ideally they'd just leave it alone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

[Citation needed]

But yeah a direct sequel to Bladerunner will ruin a lot of the mystique the first film has.
Truly, the last of us 2 of movies.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's going to come down to the writing. It's not an impossible concept and with talent it could live up to the original even if it's unwarranted. They even have a good director and totally decent cast so that's covered.

So of course, there's going to be a writing problem. Even though one of the writers wrote the original, the other is best known for the Green Lantern movie, the Heroes tv series, and a bunch of old WB TV garbage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Modern Hollywood seems to go out of its way to hire terrible writers and then never considers script problems to be one of the factors when a movie flops or has bad reviews.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My favourite thing about Bladerunner is the cinematography and visuals. Watching it nowadays on Blu-ray it still looks dynamite. That the teaser for the sequel looks as good visually gives me tons of hope!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trails of Cold Steel 3 just became the PS4's best exclusive.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A Bladerunner remake could actually ruin it as it would take the original's place in the younger audience's consciousness. A sequel, if it stinks, can be forgotten which was the case with many poor sequels of great movies. Like a few years ago I learned that Chinatown has a sequel, what the hell?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Palpek posted:

A Bladerunner remake could actually ruin it as it would take the original's place in the younger audience's consciousness. A sequel, if it stinks, can be forgotten which was the case with many poor sequels of great movies. Like a few years ago I learned that Chinatown has a sequel, what the hell?

It's not like anyone remembers the Total Recall remake or the Robocop remake.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Palpek posted:

It almost had a second sequel too, but that kinda ended up as Roger Rabbit.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

Chinatown has two sequels and while the second (The Two Jakes) isn't terrible, the third one is actually amazing (Who Framed Roger Rabbit)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like anyone remembers the Total Recall remake or the Robocop remake.
Fair enough. Maybe what I'm actually trying to say is that I'm not really worried about Blade Runner's legacy even if the sequel sucks. The original was a moderate financial/critical success and only gained cult status with its vhs release. The viewers, not the critics made the movie their own so it can't really be spoiled.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wild Guns Reloaded came out on the same day as new Shantae....

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

Fair enough. Maybe what I'm actually trying to say is that I'm not really worried about Blade Runner's legacy even if the sequel sucks. The original was a moderate financial/critical success and only gained cult status with its vhs release. The viewers, not the critics made the movie their own so it can't really be spoiled.

Agreed! At the very least it'd be quite tough for it to be as bad as the new Total Remake and the new Ghostbusters.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, 1982 was a hell of a release year for sci-fi flicks: Blade Runner, E.T., The Thing, Tron, Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

My favourite thing about Bladerunner is the cinematography and visuals. Watching it nowadays on Blu-ray it still looks dynamite. That the teaser for the sequel looks as good visually gives me tons of hope!

Yeah Bladerunner and Ghost in the Shell are both almost better as just works of art than they are as like, entertaining movies or plots. There is plot, but its not like... really huge. But the world and the visuals are just so rich and detailed it soaks you in. And both are cyberpunk.

Palpek posted:

This is where we get into existential questions like, is it better for a kid to only have seen star wars movies 1-3 or is it better for them to have seen no star wars at all? :smith:

There are kids who were confused and don't know who Han Solo was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

It's going to come down to the writing. It's not an impossible concept and with talent it could live up to the original even if it's unwarranted. They even have a good director and totally decent cast so that's covered.

I agree, Last of Us 2 will probably be good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I meant to link to it earlier and forgot, but I made a thread for video game music cover artists/remixers/medley artists. I'm hoping it'll both expose folks to new artists and also maybe I'll see some I've never heard of too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802067

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

I meant to link to it earlier and forgot, but I made a thread for video game music cover artists/remixers/medley artists. I'm hoping it'll both expose folks to new artists and also maybe I'll see some I've never heard of too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802067

This is seriously cool, very much my jam and I am stickying it for a couple of weeks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rad! Finding DJtheS was a totally random related video link and I'm glad I did because he makes a ton of medley and remixes, and often uses fairly obscure tracks that are right in my wheelhouse. Also, I never thought I'd hear a techno remix of the underwater music from Mario 64 that was fast and good, but he managed it somehow.

Hoping there's others like him that might get posted in the thread.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Agreed! At the very least it'd be quite tough for it to be as bad as the new Total Remake and the new Ghostbusters.

new ghostbusters was good though?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

chumbler posted:

That is cool as poo poo, gotta get in on that action.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/MiiverseArt/status/810551600397881348

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I forgot that Jingle All The Way had a sequel

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they should make a Snatcher movie instead of Bladerunner 2

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Stux posted:

new ghostbusters was good though?

It was enjoyable enough. As far as geek movies go, Ghostbusters was always a silly tongue in cheek thing rather than a cult classic sacred cyberpunk thing like Bladerunner anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bladerunner remake where Deckard is played by a woman :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It could work. And the internet weirdo tears would be so plentiful and delicious.

• Locked thread